Perseverance Rover

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Perseverance Rover

Post by Winnow »

I never get tired of watching NASA live mission events.

I've said before that NASA's budget should be quadrupled and yet Biden immediately delayed funding for the moon mission as soon as he took office. Sad days ahead. Kind of ironic that CNN had an article saying "we needed this" and how great it was but kind of forgot to mention Biden is already meddling with NASA. We do need this. NASA and space exploration is one of the few inspiring things that humans do these days.

With so much required for the complex landing operation to happen, it went off without a hitch. With the (so far) successful landing and functioning Perseverence rover, I'd like to comment that for these missions, NASA should double up and send two. We've been lucky with recent successes on Mars but with these missions it costs a lot to design everything involved, making two of everything would not double the cost. A lot of the parts are custom built. Making a new customized soda can is expensive. Making the millions of cans that follow isn't. Redundancy has always been important with NASA missions.

NASA missions, both manned and unmanned are high stakes. Billions of dollars and many research careers/jobs were counting on a successful landing. Totally worth it. For every successful mission, increase NASA's budget. For every failure, increase it twice as much.