Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

Post by Aslanna »

Story Trailer!

Releasing June 26th.

I am cautiously optimistic about this one. Sucker Punch makes decently solid games but those have been more in the 8/10 range. I would like to see them step it up and give us a 9.5+/10!

I need to see more gameplay for this before I preorder though. I'm hoping it's not a From Software Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro type of game because that will be a pass from me.

It looks nice at least!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

Post by Winnow »

Hmm something off about their faces. Like a mix between Caucasian and Japanese. It does have a battle taking place in a colorful field of flowers so it checks that Sony requirement! (queue the flute player!)

Would definitely need to see more of the game play as the story itself and characters wouldn't hold my attention. Kind of hard to top CD Projekt Red when it comes to story/characters so I'm a little spoiled. (Should play Witcher 3 so you have a baseline on what to expect in these kind of games for comparison!)

The trailer is a little too massive in scope. For me, the games that dive deep in the character development end up being the more memorable ones. That holds true even for shooters. For example, Overwatch has 15 minute matches but the lore behind all of their characters is unbelievably deep. That's why the new Riot game Valoriant is probably going to fail hard.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Of course. It's a PlayStation game so... There must be something wrong with it.

And it's not a surprise you brought up the "flute". I was going to mention in my original post that you would because you know.. You're so predictable.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: March 6, 2020, 8:42 pm And it's not a surprise you brought up the "flute". I was going to mention in my original post that you would because you know.. You're so predictable.
With all the chaos happening in the world today, it's good to have some things you can count on!

The game doesn't look horrible although there is something wrong with the faces/facial animations.

I'm not kidding around when it comes to the story though. The reason the Witcher 3 is considered so good is the character development and also the ability to throw in humor and complexity into a serious story. Every side mission seems like a main quest because they are unique with fully developed characters that make you actually look forward to cut scenes.

When I look at this game (the trailer at least) the characters don't seem that deep. It's not a unique problem to this game. That's why people are going nuts over anticipation for Cyberpunk 2077. "Wake up Samurai. We've got a city to burn."

Take a look at the reddit for Cyberpunk 2077. It's incredibly active even though the game was delayed six months. So many cosplay posts, fan fiction, fan art, customized PCs, etc. Scroll through the topics of the past 100-400 posts. You don't even need to read them. You can tell just by looking at the attached images as to how people feel about the game.

Not really anything against this game or Sony in particular. It just made me think how few games get that part right no matter who develops them.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I take it by a case by case basis. I've liked all of Sucker Punch's games in the past so I'm confident this one will be good as well.

I have both GoT and Cyberpunk 2077 preordered so I'm not pitting them against each other.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

15 minutes of gameplay

I get what they are going for with the clean UI but I would prefer an option to have a minimap and waypoints marked in like a compass or something. I am still not totally sold on it yet although I will keep my preorder for now.

There is a new release date from what was in my original post: 17-July now.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Game looks ok but I have never seen so much grass and plants waving around in any game.

I'm actually being serious. They must have had a directive to have as many things in motion on the screen as possible. Look at any scene in that 15 minute clip, the grass, flowers and trees are blowing around as if there's a hurricane going on. It doesn't stop there. the characters and NPC have to have at least 3 tassels that wave around even it the character isn't moving.

It's actually distracting. It's this game's equivalent of lens flare from J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should! Is there a grass motion slider in settings?

Go back and watch this, just looking at what's in motion. The opening scene focused on the guy's cape flowing almost vertically. Moving grass will be with us the rest of the 15 minutes. Even before that, the autumn shot with about 500 leaves falling from the trees per minute is an ominous warning as to what's to come. 99% of these 15 minutes minus the map screens has waving grass. No one in their right mind would add that many high speed moving parts in a game. It must have been some crazed director of the game requiring it be added. I'll have to go back and look at horizon zero dawn. That had waving grass but for some reason it was much more reasonable.

Technically the games looks ok but I'm not a fan of quests with no guidance, at least directional guidance. Games take long enough, I don't want to waste time running around the countryside just so they can show off the foliage in motion and give photo mode opportunities.

The other part I've mentioned in the past is I haven't seen much that would attach me to the main character or care what he does. Games are much more interesting when there's deep character development and some side drama to their stories.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You have issues. Wind is cool. It's natural. Lens flares are not.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

85 on Opencritic (fuck MetaCritic!) and It's getting pretty good reviews from people overall. There are a few bad ones from people complaining about open world games but that's a personal issue which shouldn't be affecting their review. If they hate open world games then have someone else review it!

I bought the Collectors Edition but honestly I might not play it until PS5 releases. Too many other things going on at the moment!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote: July 31, 2020, 6:01 pm 85 on Opencritic (fuck MetaCritic!) and It's getting pretty good reviews from people overall. There are a few bad ones from people complaining about open world games but that's a personal issue which shouldn't be affecting their review. If they hate open world games then have someone else review it!

I bought the Collectors Edition but honestly I might not play it until PS5 releases. Too many other things going on at the moment!
I don't agree with the "don't review open world games if you don't like them" sentiment. Enough is enough with the fucking open world checklists. They are objectively not creative, not new, not original, and the louder people express how absolutely over them they are, the better imo.

Seems to me like people that still love the ubisoft open world checklist formula maybe just have really busy minds that need to be constantly ticking things off a list, and it's less about them actually having fun with the games. I could be entirely off base here, but if not, a little introspection is probably in order.

I was tempted to buy it, because I generally like anything to do with Japan/Japanese culture, but when I got validation that it was basically AC with a coat of samurai paint on it, I made myself pass on it. I think maybe the biggest takeaway here is that in the future, Ubisoft might want to listen to their fans more. People have been asking for AC samurai for years and they thought they knew better, but it looks like their arrogance got them sucker punched, amirite?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So someone who doesn't like JRPGs should review a JRPG? Someone who hates sports games should review Madden? I can't say I'm along with you on this journey. You can mention it in your review, sure, but I don't think a bias against something should be applied to the ranking.

Regardless, the game has generally positive reviews so I'm not too worried about it.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't know what reviews you've read, but the reviews I've read that have been critical of the game haven't seemed to be written by people that "hate" the genre, but who think it's been beat to death at this point. I think the distinction is important. Anyhow though, hopefully you enjoy it when you get to it next year :D
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Might end up picking this up after all, in no small part because I'll run out of other things to play soon, and there isn't much else on the horizon for me. The new content is getting received really well - it sounds like it's basically a full live service add-on complete with cosmetics, etc. And it's well polished, no MT, etc.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I have my Collector's Edition sitting on the table still. Waiting for the PS5 before I actually start to play it. Which is good since they added stuff and polished it over the past few months. This is why you shouldn't buy, or in my case at least play, a game Day One.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Finally decided to buy it this weekend and put a few hours in - glad I got it, it's pretty fun so far! I like how there are environmental queues for even the little hidden collectible stuff (foxes, golden birds, etc), so when you're just wandering around you don't have to constantly be looking at a map riddled with markers on it.

I think they strike a pretty damn good balance with a lot of stuff - combat is more than button mashing, but it's not Dark Souls difficult. There are a fair number of side quests and collectibles, but not like your usual Ubisoft open world checklist games by any means.

I am excited to try the co op stuff as well, a few friends might pick it up so I've been holding off on that for now though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:05 pm This is why you shouldn't buy, or in my case at least play, a game Day One.
Same goes for consoles! Wait for the second smaller, more refined release each console generation.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: November 18, 2020, 6:25 pm
Aslanna wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:05 pm This is why you shouldn't buy, or in my case at least play, a game Day One.
Same goes for consoles! Wait for the second smaller, more refined release each console generation.
But the PS4 Pro was bigger than the PS4.

But you do you. I'm happy with my purchase.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm not even sure why I fucking bother anymore.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I haven't got around to trying Ghost on the PS5 yet. Too much other stuff going on.. Bounties in D2.. Event in GI.. No time! I am seriously considering cancelling my Cyberpunk 2077 preorder since by the time I get to it it will be on sale for $20.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I hear that. I should get around to doing the GI event to get my Fischl another constellation, but we'll see.

Ghost has definitely been using up most of my gaming time, but I'm also spending a fair amount of time playing Descenders, and still slowly working my way through Visage. I want to pick up Sakuna, as well, but to your point I don't have time so I'm making myself wait.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: November 18, 2020, 8:07 pm
But the PS4 Pro was bigger than the PS4.

But you do you. I'm happy with my purchase.
I can't speak for Sony as their design choices are questionable at best. Microsoft actually knows how to improve on designs over their console generation cycle and make them smaller at the same time. I refer to them, not the George Foreman grill, double burger to triple burger pro, 90's router looking recent console company.

Microsoft also still has the best controller with in the Elite.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote: November 19, 2020, 11:06 am Yeah, I hear that. I should get around to doing the GI event to get my Fischl another constellation, but we'll see.
Yeah. that's what I am working towards. I have one constellation but the second one is pretty nice. The event is a bit grindy but not bad for the things you can get from the event store. I'm hoping the last quest part that hasn't opened yet won't suck too bad.
Ghost has definitely been using up most of my gaming time, but I'm also spending a fair amount of time playing Descenders, and still slowly working my way through Visage. I want to pick up Sakuna, as well, but to your point I don't have time so I'm making myself wait.
I have the Ghost collectors edition.. Almost thinking of selling it since it seems to be going for $300-400 on ebay and then just buying the regular version when it hits $20. Of course that doesn't mean people are buying at that price. It was one of the last games I got before my Gamers Club Unlocked expired and only paid $135 for it.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote: November 20, 2020, 4:47 am
Funkmasterr wrote: November 19, 2020, 11:06 am Yeah, I hear that. I should get around to doing the GI event to get my Fischl another constellation, but we'll see.
Yeah. that's what I am working towards. I have one constellation but the second one is pretty nice. The event is a bit grindy but not bad for the things you can get from the event store. I'm hoping the last quest part that hasn't opened yet won't suck too bad.
Interesting, I didn't know it wasn't totally unlocked yet - it definitely sounds grindy. My main team is decent, I've got Xiangling and Barbara both max constellation. My Fischl is at 1 currently as well, and I've got 2-3 new characters recently and got a constellation for a couple of them. I need to figure out who to replace Venti with in my main team...
Aslanna wrote: November 20, 2020, 4:47 am
I have the Ghost collectors edition.. Almost thinking of selling it since it seems to be going for $300-400 on ebay and then just buying the regular version when it hits $20. Of course that doesn't mean people are buying at that price. It was one of the last games I got before my Gamers Club Unlocked expired and only paid $135 for it.
Sell it! I don't know what it comes with, but if you can even sell it for 250 I would.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Coming to PC in May

PC features trailer thingie

--