The Outer Worlds

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The Outer Worlds

Post by Winnow »

If you like the original Fallout games, this one might be of interest.

Classic RPG, funny dialog, etc.

You can get it on PC subscribing to Xbox Game Pass for PC for $1. After first month it's a reasonable $4.99/month. Worth it for Gears 5 (well reviewed) and The Outer Worlds alone but there are quite a few good games on Game Pass. Hassle free, easy to cancel. Way better than $60/game.

As for The Outer Worlds. It's been fun, very much like Fallout. Sneak, stealth (pick pocketing) are good skills to get early. Science/Engineering good as well to modify/improve gear.

Here are some beginners tip and a look at what it's like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM5Q8C-FiWU

Lots of dialog but it's well voice acted and on the funny side. And decent amount of routes you can take in developing your characters and companions. Worth if for a buck! and you can check out Gears 5 at the same time.

The reddit for The Outer Worlds:

https://old.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Outer Worlds

Post by Winnow »

Wow, this game is good.

Couple things I can confirm.

STEALTH is a good place to put your first skill points. (Sneak, Hack, Lockpick)

Getting lockpick up to 20 removed the need for mag keys to open containers that only require 1 mag-pick. I've since pumped my lockpick up to 60 so I can see what's in a container before using Mag-Picks in case I don't need the item.

Sneak is useful for several things. 20 is a good start but level 40 allows you to pickpocket from humans while sneaking.

Hack helps as well, reducing or eliminating bypass shunts required

LEADERSHIP get it to at least 20 (starts at 18) so you can command your companions

TECH (Medical, Science, Engineering)

This is the other place you want to put some points.

Science to 20 so you can Tinker and improve your weapons, Engineering so you can field repair your weapons/armor.

DIALOG (Persuade, Lie, Intimidate)

at the initial character creation I put points here. There is a LOT of quest/decision/dialogs. getting those up over at least 20 to start with will help a lot.

DEFENSE, RANGED and MELEE categories you can work on later.

----

If you find a Shock Cannon, keep it, love it, mod it, tinker and improve it. Very good weapon.

There's a shrink weapon quest at some point. Make sure you get that one.

----

Don't ditch any companions. You can have more than one and they are useful, boost your stats, can be improved with perks, updated weapons/armor, etc.

You can hide both your own helmet and your companion helmets in settings. The armor/weapons etc look great in the game but I like to see faces!

***Uncheck "show base item stats" in UI settings*** I have no idea why that's the default. When that's checked, you can't see the additional damage your weapons or armor have. I also increased my Field of View from 90 to 120. I like to see as much as I can in these games.

I just found out the voice actress for Tiny Tina is the voice actress for the first Companion you run into. Turns out she's voiced a lot of great characters.

----

Outer Worlds is worth checking out/playing for sure. Glad I picked up Xbox Game Pass for PC. for $1. I downloaded the 70 GB! Gears 5 as well and I can see why it is a contender for GOTY.

It's a nice change to visit a game's reddit and see the majority happy and impressed with a game. Outer Worlds developer , Obsidian, got it right. Tons of hidden stuff to discover all over the world, great voice acting, and some actual choices to make on your character and decisions.

You won't find everything in this game and you there's probably more voiced dialog you don't hear than you hear during your play through. Sign of a good game!

This quest guy was trapped in a toilet stall for a week:

https://gfycat.com/identicalneatadmiralbutterfly
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I didn't have much interest it to begin with but it looked fine and Obsidian generally makes decent stuff. Glad it's doing ok in the reviews for those who are into games like that.

I have even less interest since Microsoft bought Obsidian and the sequel will be Xbox exclusive. As someone in the Playstation ecosystem that doesn't appeal to me even if I can play it on PC. Beyond that it's just not the sort of RPG I get into.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:I didn't have much interest it to begin with but it looked fine and Obsidian generally makes decent stuff. Glad it's doing ok in the reviews for those who are into games like that.

I have even less interest since Microsoft bought Obsidian and the sequel will be Xbox exclusive. As someone in the Playstation ecosystem that doesn't appeal to me even if I can play it on PC. Beyond that it's just not the sort of RPG I get into.
Ditto on all counts for me.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hoping Microsoft makes a lot of great games in the future that you miss out on due to petty loyalties. I'm not even being sarcastic. I don't give two fucks who makes a good game. If it's good, I'll play it. You've got to be out of your fucking mind if you think Microsoft will let Sony produce exclusives without finding a way to make their own. Funny thing is, they aren't even exclusive as they can all be played on the best platform of all (the PC) and for $4.99/month with no contract, on day one. Being in the Sony ecosystem means nothing. You can have every game Microsoft makes for the cost of a single game over an entire year. There is no "ecosystem" issue except that Sony is trying to keep you there by being holdouts on cross play, etc,

Microsoft isn't the big baddie you think it is.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Way to miss the whole point. But I didn't expect anything less from you.

Did you read where I said I'm glad it's a good game? It's just not a game that interests me. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

And why do I give a shit what Sony does or doesn't do? That's the ecosystem I enjoy playing in not you. Why get so defensive about it?

Your self identify being tied to certain things is not a healthy trait and you should probably seek some sort of therapy. I'm not even being sarcastic.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: Your self identify being tied to certain things is not a healthy trait and you should probably seek some sort of therapy. I'm not even being sarcastic.
Way to miss the point.
"I don't give two fucks who makes a good game. If it's good, I'll play it."
I'm the exact opposite of Sony fanboism. I'll buy good games, even Sony consoles which I've owned every one since the PS2. (Persona 5 and that Horizon Dawn game) Their controller may be worse, but there are a few games that are decent.

I understand if Fallout: New Vegas type games aren't your thing. I thought more people here liked that kind of game, especially a good one. Gears 4 is a pretty amazing game for anyone that likes FPS games. Definitely a GOTY candidate as well as possibly Outer Worlds. The thing with the 4.99 Game pass is you don't need to keep it continuously. The cancel option is right on the first level of the settings, not hidden or hard to do.

I don't get the tears about Microsoft buying companies. Sony's group of game developers are already exclusive while Microsoft is giving you the opportunity to buy or play their games via Game Pass on the PC as well as console. (Day one for 4.99 which Sony also doesn't do) Seems more like being upset because you had a monopoly on exclusives and now Microsoft with cross play (which Sony is trying it's damnedest to prevent) and flexibility to play PC/Console is opening things up to more people.

As a side note, Microsoft's stock is up 40% over the past year. Bill Gates who owns 1% of Microsoft's stock (just 1%!) is 5 billion away from overtaking Amazon's CEO (around 108 Billion) as the richest person in the world (again) and all he does is be a philanthropist these days trying to do good for the world, cure illnesses, etc. Microsoft is making some amazing hardware as well these days. It's not the evil empire of the past. Perhaps the younger generations, less jaded by the past will see that. Companies can change. Japanese companies take a little longer to change as evidenced by their controllers, outdated online options for years, unwillingness to open up to cross-play, and now it appears they won't be modifying their VR controllers much for their next gen, which are already by far the worst of the VR controllers. Sony seems good if you like a good flute playing dude at your game conferences or a fancy orchestra. Microsoft seems to get more to the point with fast paced gaming news. I can only imagine what the PS5 conference will be like but ballet dancers will probably be involved.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Saying "way to miss the point" doesn't make it so. I don't know why you simply can't accept the fact I give zero shits about games on Xbox? Why are you taking it so personally? Yet you flip your shit about my choices and spew a giant paragraph about Microsoft's stock price and a bunch of other pointless shit*. Are you that insecure? No need to answer that because it is readily apparent you are. To the average person my initial post would have seemed pretty harmless.

Also I didn't shed any tears about Microsoft's studio purchases. No tears here as there are plenty of games to play where I prefer to play them. But why would I get invested in a game on my preferred platform if the sequel was guaranteed not to be there?

You say if there's a good game you'll play it... Let me ask this: Do you own a Switch? If not, why? There are quite a few games on it.

* Perhaps MS should spend some of those billions of dollars on making an OS that they don't break with every update because it is a joke at this point

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: You say if there's a good game you'll play it... Let me ask this: Do you own a Switch? If not, why? There are quite a few games on it.
Only one game on Switch I'd want to play: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Nintendo doesn't qualify as a legitimate console though. Nintendo products are more like those fake ipads for kids or something.

Sony consoles, while looking like grills or multilayered double or triple paddy hamburgers, depending on non Pro or Pro editions, have some power behind them.

MSFT Market Cap today: 1.09 Trillion :twisted:

On topic, I admit my mistake in thinking some old time gamers would appreciate a game like The Outer Worlds. It's incredibly rare to get a game like this with the current trends in gaming. It should be appreciated regardless of who owns the company.

The effort put into this game is impressive. Wandering around finding alternate solutions to quest, etc. Amazing amount of quality voiced NPCs. Well written and witty.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:On topic, I admit my mistake in thinking some old time gamers would appreciate a game like The Outer Worlds. It's incredibly rare to get a game like this with the current trends in gaming. It should be appreciated regardless of who owns the company.
I did appreciate it and even said I was glad it was doing well in the reviews but that doesn't mean I want to play it. It's just not a game for me. I didn't play Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, or fuckin Fallout 4. And it had nothing to do with who or who didn't own the studio.
Winnow wrote:Only one game on Switch I'd want to play: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Nintendo doesn't qualify as a legitimate console though.
That's a better dodge than Trump skipping out on Vietnam. But I think I made my point (even if you'll refuse to acknowledge it).

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't buy kids toys. Under powered and clunky. With as many issues as I have even with the PS controller, do you really think I'd use something from Nintendo?

Point not made.

For non VR gaming:

PC>>>>Xbox>PS (if forced to)>Tablet/Phone and then nothing

Sony is digging their own grave with their traditionalism in controllers and dragging their feet on cross play. They still have Spider-Man for the time being until Disney/Marvel buys that back when Sony starts to struggle. At least they already made a deal with Microsoft for use of their cloud services. They cling to one Hero of the many in Marvel's arsenal and are reliant on Microsoft. Rumors that they aren't changing their VR controller design much for PS5 is just another iceberg in their path to doom.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Point was made quite well, actually.

But good job derailing your own thread. No wonder there's only 2 other people around here posting these days.

Carry on.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: I have even less interest since Microsoft bought Obsidian and the sequel will be Xbox exclusive. As someone in the Playstation ecosystem that doesn't appeal to me even if I can play it on PC. Beyond that it's just not the sort of RPG I get into.

There's your derail.

If Sony provided a $4.99 day one release way to play games on the PC, you can bet your ass I'd jump all over it when a new Persona or other exclusive game came out. Microsoft is being extremely accommodating for anyone that owns a PC to play their brand new "exclusives".
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It wasn't a derail it was stating one of the reasons why I had no interest in playing the game and is specifically on topic. You then when batshit mental about it in your usual fashion.

--