Division 2 PC (also XBOX ONE and PS4)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Division 2 PC (also XBOX ONE and PS4)

Post by Winnow »

Been playing the demo the past two days. It's really well polished and fun. The level of detail in the game is amazing. Everywhere you go is as far from cookie cutter as I've seen in an FPS game.

I didn't play Division so I'm impressed with the UI and how the map works and how the quest info is integrated into the game. Been two-manning the main quests and side missions. It's felt challenging and fun.

Only negative is the butt-ugly female designs but that's really minor.

Best graphics yet. Your first base of operations if the White House. I spent awhile roaming around. I was highly impressed with the amount of area designed that didn't need to be there. It's a game where you can admire the scenery as well as the game play. Everywhere I go feels like though was put into the design to make it look unique. They somehow managed to handle night right where it doesn't feel like a nuisance and too dark.

We just unlocked the Dark Zone so will have to see how the PvP is.

Also, best audio and NPCs I've encountered in a game. Using headphones and setting the in game audio to headphones makes for a great experience.

I killed a dog and then felt kind of bad about it.

A couple crashes so far but nothing like Anthem's issues. This is a keeper.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Division 2 PC (also XBOX ONE and PS4)

Post by Aslanna »

I played this for about two hours.

The UI seems mostly intuitive compared to Anthem. The only thing I had to look up was weapon swapping. If they tell you how to do that early I must have missed it but nothing a Google search couldn't resolve.

Cover is crazy marked so everywhere you go it pops up the X on the screen. I'm fairly certain that is a selectable option not to show that but I didn't try to change it. If it's not able to be turned off I'd find it distracting when playing for any long period of time.

Like Anthem the enemies seem too small unless they're right next to you. I guess I'm just used to Destiny where the enemies are big and beefy. For the most part they don't seem bullet spongy except for the heavy guy I ran into and tried killing a few times with no luck. Even when throwing out a turret and hitting him with a grenade I didn't seem to even get rid of his shield. And I think he was level 3 the same as I was. So that's where I decided to quit the game.

This isn't my sort of game/setting but maybe in a year when it's $20 I might look into it again. I did have one crash but overall it seems more polished than that other game I recently played a beta/demo for. When I came back it did put me right where I was so there was no real progress lost.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Division 2 is a solid game. I'm not a fan of the Dark Zone PvP setup but the CO-OP is great. I like Borderlands type loot games with lots of weapon/armor drops. The game looks even better with HDR active. We'll probably play though the Campaign and stick to Overwatch (by far the best FPS/PvP I've ever played) for PvP.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I don't know how the PVP changed from the first game, but there was way too much trolling in the first one and it just wasn't fun to me at all.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

My main issue with it was that I'm not a fan of cover-based shooting for the most part. And that seems a big part of the game. Or at least the first two hours I played! And when you're in cover unless the enemies are running towards you they've fairly far away from you and hard to see.

I also don't like the ole "hold out against waves of enemies" tropes that a lot of games like this have. It got boring 'defending' the dumbass Ghost in Destiny and it got boring here where I encountered it like 3 times during the time I spent playing it.

I'd be interested in playing the campaign if it gets decent reviews and I can pick it up for $20 in a year. Division 1 was on sale recently for $10 I almost picked that up until I realized I already have way more than enough games to play.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've never seen such a positive reddit for a game launch as I am seeing for The Division 2. Total opposite of the Anthem launch catastrophe. Looking forward to playing it this weekend.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I caved and got this. I've been splitting my gaming time between this and Sekiro because I really like both of them, but ultimately I play this a bit more because my brother is into it too.

I like it - I have some gripes but they're mostly minor. Enemies seem to know if you are aiming at them or not without actually having a line of site to make that determination - so a lot of times you have to stop aiming at them or they stay in cover for fucking ever. You are also constantly put in situations where the spot you are forced to hold down is almost indefensible, with little cover and several routes designed specifically for you to get flanked, and I have a problem with that. The menus are also atrocious, and I can never get the exclamation points for "new" stuff to all go away and this drives me batty.

Gripes aside, there is a lot of content. Sure, a lot of that content is kind of recycled - but the way that they do that for the invaded missions and stuff is fresh enough that it doesn't get too repetitive (at least not yet).

Co-op is done well, bugs are minimal, they changed the dark zone just enough that I actually like it now. And they're already adding a decent chunk of new content this week.

I'm in world tier 2 now, I'll get to 4 before Friday so that I can go right into 5 and check out the new stronghold, etc.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: Gripes aside, there is a lot of content. Sure, a lot of that content is kind of recycled - but the way that they do that for the invaded missions and stuff is fresh enough that it doesn't get too repetitive (at least not yet).
We aren't world tier yet (taking our time : ) but this has to have the most original content I've seen in a long time. All of the mission locations are unique, the museums are amazing to battle through. If you mean the control points, etc, those can be repetitive for sure but overall, the amount of unique structures etc is beyond anything I've seen before. That the content is based on real locations is more impressive.

I hate the sledgehammer guys!

The loot in this game reminds me of borderlands although at a slower pace. Division 2 will scratch that loot itch until Borderlands 3 comes along in September.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote: Gripes aside, there is a lot of content. Sure, a lot of that content is kind of recycled - but the way that they do that for the invaded missions and stuff is fresh enough that it doesn't get too repetitive (at least not yet).
We aren't world tier yet (taking our time : ) but this has to have the most original content I've seen in a long time. All of the mission locations are unique, the museums are amazing to battle through. If you mean the control points, etc, those can be repetitive for sure but overall, the amount of unique structures etc is beyond anything I've seen before. That the content is based on real locations is more impressive.

I hate the sledgehammer guys!

The loot in this game reminds me of borderlands although at a slower pace. Division 2 will scratch that loot itch until Borderlands 3 comes along in September.
I meant more that when you get to level 30 and beat all 3 strongholds, you are pushed into world tier 1 and a new faction invades all of the map. To move through each world tier you have to beat 2 of the story missions and one stronghold (and reach a certain gear score). They are occupied by the new faction so the structure of the mission changes, but they're in the same locations.

Yeah, the sledgehammer guys suck. For the tanky guys that rush you like that, it's just really important to focus on their weak points. For these guys that's usually their hands - if you hit them there enough they'll lose their grip on the hammer and give you an opportunity to beat on them for a few seconds. Some of the talents that focus on weak points can also be a boon for those dudes.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Yeah, the sledgehammer guys suck. For the tanky guys that rush you like that, it's just really important to focus on their weak points. For these guys that's usually their hands - if you hit them there enough they'll lose their grip on the hammer and give you an opportunity to beat on them for a few seconds. Some of the talents that focus on weak points can also be a boon for those dudes.
Ah nice tip! I was aiming for their heads, thinking I needed to break their armor that way like the previous elites I had run into.

The only thing about the AI that bothers me is that they have too many remote controlled car/bombs.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:
Ah nice tip! I was aiming for their heads, thinking I needed to break their armor that way like the previous elites I had run into.

The only thing about the AI that bothers me is that they have too many remote controlled car/bombs.
Oh man, you're in for a rough surprise when you get to the world tiers :D I do agree though that it's ridiculous that they seem to be able to send out a new remote controlled car immediately after you destroy one. I'm a firm believer that the same rules that apply to me should apply to NPCs, so their skills should be on the same cooldown that yours are.

The Black Claw guys pretty much all have drones/cars/etc, and there are even a few new things thrown in there. It definitely ramps the difficulty up, and it'll really start to make your life easier if you prioritize certain targets over others (especially medics).
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

This is $3 now on (probably) most platforms until March 3rd. I might pick it up even though I didn't really get into it when I played the demo. Other versions are a bit more expensive more but I think the base one is fine for me as the Year 1 Pass or skins and crap are not something I would bother with. It also seems most of the advantages of buying the Year 1 pass are now over so even less reason to spend $12 on that.

I imagine this is due to the new $30 expansion that's coming out soon.

Ubisoft really needs to cut shit like this out with 6 versions of a game. I had to search out a chart to see what was what.

--