Anthem PC, also available on Xbox One/PS4)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Anthem PC, also available on Xbox One/PS4)

Post by Winnow »

Played the Demo this weekend. Lots of server issues and bugs but it's a fun COOP/Multiplayer game.

I'd say the gameplay and feel of combat/movement is better than previous games like Halo and Destiny. The flying is pretty cool and works great with the very vertical environments.

Worth checking out if they can squash the server issues and bugs. There is an open beta next weekend. Game releases in second half of February.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Anthem PC, also available on Xbox One/PS4)

Post by Funkmasterr »

I've had my eye on it - I'm still cautiously optimistic. I'll play the demo this weekend, but even with that I'll be waiting for the reviews at release to see how much of this stuff is worked out in the "final build" of the game (since they keep claiming the demo build is months old).

I hope it's good, I've been looking for a game I can dig into and haven't been able to find anything lately.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Subpar Destiny clone with probably scummy micro-transactions due to EA's involvement. Pass!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Subpar Destiny clone with probably scummy micro-transactions due to EA's involvement. Pass!
Can't comment on micro-transactions as I haven't seen any yet but it's not subpar Destiny. I played plenty of Destiny to know. It is full of bugs right now though so will have to see if that improves next weekend.

Next weekend is open demo, can see for yourself, although it does take a mission or two to get a handle on the flying part.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

This is promising. I still want to get more details on microtransactions and quantity of end game content, but I think it's looking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dunQXPnCQwo
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

We played some more today. It's fun but way too buggy and doesn't feel ready for prime time. I know there are nice changes in store for the release version but we cancelled our pre-order and I already pre-ordered The Division 2. Will try out that beta next weekend.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Like dude says in that video above, it sounds like most of the concerning bugs are worked out for release, and the demo is a legitimately old build, so I'm not too worried.

I want to like the Division 2, as I know my brother is going to be into it big time, but I think they're taking the microtransaction shit a bit too far for me. Being able to pay for more stash space is fucking bullshit, I abhor inventory management and this alone is enough to turn me off of it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If they know it's buggy they should not release an "old build" for the demo that hundreds of thousands of people will play and base their purchasing decision on.

I have zero interest in buying it but figured I'd give it a shot since it's free. On the very first missions the sound fucked up and I had a loud buzzing and humming from then on out. After about 10 minutes I gave up and turned off the PS4. I might try it again tomorrow but eh... It would be just as fine if I didn't. Definitely not a good first impression.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:On the very first missions the sound fucked up and I had a loud buzzing and humming from then on out.
I used to give betas/demos the benefit of the doubt but not any more. If they have all these fixes in place, it was a really bad idea to release a "demo", not beta, that was that messed up. It was bad enough (even with the promises of fixes in the release) for me to take a wait an see approach.

I've seen no such complaints with The Division 2 about recent builds being buggy. They also had their issues with the first game but have used that to make a much better starting point for their second game. As for micro transactions, the gaming community has been pretty vocal in that area and will usually create a shitstorm if it's too crazy.

As for Anthem, the few missions you could do in the Demo were pretty fun. I really hated the swimming part which you have to do for the main fortress quest. Actual combat was solid.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I decided to give it another try on Sunday. I went to look at the 'how to control your Javelin' section, which is a bit important to know how to do, and it went to a web page that never loaded. I tried it a few times and nothing ever came up. I quit the game and deleted it. Why not have stuff like that built into the game instead of directing people to a web page? Seems like a lazy shortcut in a AAA game.

Regardless, this is primarily a multiplayer online game so I didn't have any interest in it, or Division 2, to begin with.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I liked the demo a lot - I ran into a few bugs/crashes, but honestly the stupid fucking randoms I was playing with were more of an issue than the bugs. I don't understand what's so hard to grasp, but luckily I'll be playing with friends most of the time.

I really liked playing the interceptor and focusing on melee/shotgun - I think this is what I'll stick with when the game comes out.

I'm prepared for the fact that the end game content will be a little light at release, but that's to be expected. As long as they support the game with content like they say they will I think it will be worth the investment.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Being able to pay for more stash space is fucking bullshit, I abhor inventory management and this alone is enough to turn me off of it.
Here's a response on TheDivision reddit:
They just said that everyone is basically getting the same amount of space. The people who got the ultimate edition have the final perk you can earn in game already unlocked. So they'll have 100 on launch compared to 50. But the people who didn't get the ultimate edition will eventually earn that perk and we'll all have the same amount. So no reason to trip on this subject. Thank god these guys aren't doing scumbag shit with stash space to force people to purchase it, I'm glad.
No paying for stash, everyone gets the same, you just need to earn and unlock it, not buy it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Word. That's cool. I may end up getting it, but it'll probably be down the road - Anthem is more my style at this point. I've never been big on PvP because trolling takes too much away from it for me (this was certainly the case in the first game), and the older I get the less interested I am.

P.S. I saw some video about how out of control pre-order bonuses have gotten, and the Division 2 was the worst of them - hooooly convoluted shit, Batman.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:I've never been big on PvP because trolling takes too much away from it for me (this was certainly the case in the first game), and the older I get the less interested I am.
I still play Overwatch almost every night so I'm good with PvP. It's kind of the opposite for me. Hated open PvP in MMORPGs when I was just trying to finish quests and got PK'd. Dedicated PvP matches I'm OK with. I'm also looking forward to the COOP in Division 2.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:P.S. I saw some video about how out of control pre-order bonuses have gotten, and the Division 2 was the worst of them - hooooly convoluted shit, Batman.
Not specifically a pre-order bonus thing but Ubisoft is ridiculous when it comes to how many versions of games they release. Assassin's Creed Odyssey had 7. SEVVV EN! Ubisoft must be stopped.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm hearing mixed things about this one. I'd say check the reviews when they are released before you spend the cash! This sounds like a case of wait a year for them to add more content and to fix what's broken just like most every other online "game as a service" from the past 5 years.
It looks phenomenal and the performance capture is some of the best I’ve seen. It’s also lacking any substance.

You fly to a mission, shoot stuff, occasionally hold X on something interactive, head back to the hub, swap your mech’s crotch from chrome to rubber, then head back out and do it again. Absurd levels of visual decadence aren’t enough to mask over Anthem’s deep flaws.

The illusion almost works, though. For the first few hours, you’ll be distracted enough to be tricked into thinking it’s a good game. When you’re flying up a waterfall with the stars in your face, cresting the verge as some alien fungi pops, creating clouds of neon spores that frame the scene, it’s stunning. Playing it on a RTX 2080Ti, it’s one of the best looking games I’ve ever seen. There’s also a lot to be said about the novelty of a game that nails 360 degree movement as well as this. Minute to minute, it feels great. The problem is everything else: mission design, story, pacing, and even customisation.
If you like just flying around it sounds like it may be the game for you... Unfortunately you can't just lone wolf it so maybe not:
Every mission is automatically matchmade with random players if you don’t squad up. You head out in a team of four and speed towards your objective as a unit. The map is vast and unreadable, so you’re always following waypoint markers. Of course, this being an open world game in 2019, there are also collectables dotted around that you can hoover up to use as crafting materials. However, you’re always tied to whoever is leading the pack. Fall behind too much and you’re met with a loading screen before being teleported to whoever is speeding off in front. There’s always some dick speeding off in front.
Why did they go the opposite direction of Destiny. For some things Destiny doesn't allow matchmaking... Anthem forces it. Why don't both games stop fucking around and just make it an option whether you want matchmaking or not for the activity you are doing instead of forcing one or the other?
If you get killed in action, your allies can also revive you to bring you back into the fight. Once you are knocked down, there’s no way to signal your allies to tell them you’re down, however – you just have to hope they revive you. If not, you’ll spend the rest of the mission staring at your downed character. You can’t even reach the pause menu in this state.
Waiting on a revive? Whhhhhy? At least in most Destiny activities, with the exception being raid bosses for the most part, the longest you have to wait is 30 seconds and then you can just respawn yourself by pushing a button. How Anthem is doing it sounds like terrible game design.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Several of those things are supposedly fixed for the day one patch according to the patch notes that have been released.

I'm going to get it still - judging by what I've heard, it should keep me busy for a good couple of months at the rate I play, and they're already adding more content including a new dungeon/whatever they call it next month. I'm conflicted, because I hate this games as a service is an excuse to release an unfinished product shit... But I like the foundation of the game, and I don't want to see Bioware be the next developer EA ran into the ground, so I'll support it.

I'm fine with the matchmaking by the way. I don't want them spending development time to work on trying to tune things for solo play in a game that's fundamentally not designed for solo play. Everything in this game beyond playing through the campaign on normal difficulty is designed to be played as a team where you have various roles and combo off each other - I know there's a demographic that wanted a more typical Bioware single player game, but this isn't that and those people just need to get over it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Once the bugs are worked out it will be a fun game. Division 2 is just a little bit more enjoyable although I'm not liking the Dark Zone mechanics so far. The regular world quest system for COOP is great. You can solo as well in Division 2 if you really want to.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/anthem

63. Ouch. Even Mass Effect Andromeda made it to 70.

Seriously, save your money, people! Come back in a year when it's $20 and (hopefully) fixed.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Me and all the people I play with still got it. By any reasonable metric it's still got an entertaining 40-50 hours in it, and if that's really all I end up getting out of it, I'll be okay with it. But I'm sure it'll be in a much better place in 6 months, just like all the other games of its type.

This isn't to mention that really two of the biggest foundations for the complaints people have are:
-It's Bioware so expectations are higher than usual for story, etc. Well, they've been completely transparent for years now that the story wasn't the focus, choice wasn't going to be in it like in their past games, etc. So these are unreasonable expectations and shouldn't factor into any kind of scoring at all.
-How did they not learn from Destiny/Division and not make the same mistakes at release? This one is even fucking dumber. How did Destiny/Division not learn the lessons from Everquest/WoW? It would be nice, but that's clearly not how it works in a business any more than it is with personal things - people need to learn for themselves.

Anyhow, I'm having fun with it so far, no bugs or issues yet. And like I've said before, if no one buys it and everyone waits for it to be fixed, then it won't get fixed, it'll get abandoned by EA and it'll tank Bioware. It's not that bad of a game and I don't want to contribute to that happening when there is fun to be had in the game and they've been very good at communicating their plans and intentions, which is uncommon lately.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well.. Enjoy the subpar Destiny clone I guess! I'm sure I've liked lots of bad games too so who am I to say anything.

However your justification for buying the game is pretty poor. People need to stop giving companies a pass on their shit. I'm glad it finally caught up to Bethesda. And to a lesser extent TellTale although it does suck for the people that worked there.

Also I doubt if Anthem bombs Bioware will get the boot. As much as EA sucks they at least allow the large developers to fuck up once or twice. For example Titanfall 2 didn't do all that well sales-wise and that didn't tank Respawn who recently came out with Apex Legends which is supposedly a decent Battle Royale (/barf) game.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Well.. Enjoy the subpar Destiny clone I guess! I'm sure I've liked lots of bad games too so who am I to say anything.

However your justification for buying the game is pretty poor. People need to stop giving companies a pass on their shit. I'm glad it finally caught up to Bethesda. And to a lesser extent TellTale although it does suck for the people that worked there.

Also I doubt if Anthem bombs Bioware will get the boot. As much as EA sucks they at least allow the large developers to fuck up once or twice. For example Titanfall 2 didn't do all that well sales-wise and that didn't tank Respawn who recently came out with Apex Legends which is supposedly a decent Battle Royale (/barf) game.

Destiny, that's cute. I don't think the justification is poor, there is nothing to catch up to Bioware - it's the publishers that are largely the issue in these cases and the developers shouldn't be paying the price. And aside from that it's just reality, whether you like it or not. If a large contingent of the potential audience for this game goes the "I want to buy it but will wait for more content/issues to get worked out" route, EA is not going to support it in a way that will allow the game to reach its potential. It's shitty, but that's what it is.

And this isn't the first fuck up - they've had this and Mass Effect Andromeda back to back. Both of which have been fucked up due to EA.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

lol Destiny. Really poor design...took them years to get it to be halfway decent...so can't really be complaining about the just released Anthem.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You people are just in denial about liking a crappy game. It's ok to admit that it's not a good game at this point.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:You people are just in denial about liking a crappy game. It's ok to admit that it's not a good game at this point.
Depends on what you're wanting out of it. The missions and COOP are a lot of fun. I used to have a blast in Destiny sitting in my space ship for no reason at all waiting for missions to start.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Has any review called this game the "pinnacle of mediocrity" yet?
Every once in a while, a game comes along that that does something surprising, different, memorable. Anthem is not one of those games.
Close.
Winnow wrote:I used to have a blast in Destiny sitting in my space ship for no reason at all waiting for missions to start.
Now you get to sit through those Anthem loading screens waiting for your missions to start. Progress!

And you do know by making comparisons to a game that came out five years ago to one that just came out, and which seems to have a lot of the same issues, isn't helping your case any, right?

One of the online sites whose content I normally like did a 3 hour Anthem stream on Friday after their normal content ended so I figured I'd just let the Twitch stream go on when they started. I've never been so bored in my life! Crappy looking UI, crazy stupid loading times any time you wanted to do something, very poor design decisions (Having to wait for a revive in any activity, not able to change your weapons once you're in a mission, not able to see your loot until you go back to the fort (or wherever) and the list goes on. And that's not even taking into account all the game drops and disconnects they encountered among the four people that were playing.

I'm sure these are things that could/will be fixed but they should have been fixed before it was released so this game deserves all the bad reviews it's getting. Developers/Publishers take note, people are getting sick of your "release now, fix it/make it better later" bullshit.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fuck you're annoying... Not sure why you're putting so much effort/attention into something you don't like and aren't interested in. Ohhh, you're tying to help all the people that are coming to VV for gaming advice be educated on their purchase, right? :roll:

Let's clear a few things up.

First, you're the one that initially made the Destiny comparison:
Well.. Enjoy the subpar Destiny clone I guess!
Second, anyone that makes posits that Anthem should learn from Destiny's mistakes is a moron. If that's a fair metric, then why weren't you admonishing Destiny when it came out for not learning from those EXACT SAME MISTAKES that were made in Everquest, WoW, and every other MMO that came out before them. Right, I thought so.

To each their own, but I'm perfectly okay with not being able to go through your gear or change your loadouts during a mission. I can only imagine the amount of time I'd be sitting there waiting for someone to fuck around with their inventory during a mission, and I have zero time or tolerance for that shit.

Yes the loading screens suck, yes there are balance issues. I understand people are having game disconnect issues, but neither myself nor anyone I play with has, so it's not like they're pervasive.

If you look at the Reddit sub for Anthem, you'll see it mostly filled with people who are enjoying the game and just have suggestions/things they want changed, not a bunch of vitriol. You'll also see devs from Bioware regularly responding to shit and literally taking ideas that are widely shared by the player base straight from Reddit and quickly patching them into the game (like the loot changes that are going live today/tomorrow).

I don't completely disagree with your sentiment about games releasing partially complete, but the Devs are also doing a lot more to remedy the situation than any other instance of this that I can recall. I'm also not cool with Anthem not getting the same pass that practically every other MMO/MMO Light has got.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:Fuck you're annoying...
I guess you can't handle the truth!

1 post in the last week is "so much effort/attention"? Ok then...
Second, anyone that makes posits that Anthem should learn from Destiny's mistakes is a moron. If that's a fair metric, then why weren't you admonishing Destiny when it came out for not learning from those EXACT SAME MISTAKES that were made in Everquest, WoW, and every other MMO that came out before them. Right, I thought so.
You can't ask a question and then not allow someone to answer it by just answering it yourself! Having said that I don't understand your question. EQ was fine for the most part considering when it came out. WoW? Never played it. Every other MMO? Never played any other MMO except for NeverWinter. as far as Destiny goes, there were MANY complaints about it when it came out. There was no pass given there for anything.

But thanks for clearing up absolutely nothing.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

EQ was fine when it came out, are you fucking serious? How many raids did we get to that were half empty because they just weren't done? How many days/weeks of the servers being down for emergency maintenance? Not to mention it wasn't like there was a ton of content, there was just an insane grind that slowed progress through all of it down.

And my point is not only were you not here leading the lynch mob against Destiny, you played it, quite extensively if I recall. It's fine to be sick of the practices that are causing these issues, but making a game the whipping boy for your frustration after having tolerated it countless times is hypocritical horseshit.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

EQ - Released 1999

Anthem - Released 2019

If they' haven't learned anything in 20 fucking years then yeah... that's a problem.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The game play of Anthem is fun. I wasn't a fan of the UI and it was buggy but at least it was fun when playing the actual missions. They probably should have waited another few months before releasing a game demo and the game.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The UI is fine with me honestly. There are some things, like there not being map markers for world events in freeplay that need to (and I'm sure will) change, but my gripes with the UI are pretty minor.

The bugs are annoying, and somehow have gotten worse since their emergency patch last Thursday, and I'd agree that it should have waited a few more months if I thought it would have left the game in a better state, but I'm not sure it would. Unfortunately I think Bioware's total lack of experience in this genre basically mandates a learn as you go approach, which sucks, but it is what it is at this point.

I'm still enjoying it. I imagine I'll play it quite a bit for the next few weeks, then depending on where things are at I might step away to play Sekiro / Metro Exodus. I knew from the jump I'd get an initial burst of gameplay out of this and then be coming back to it when they add new stuff - same as it was for Destiny.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

How BioWare's Anthem Went Wrong
As it turned out, this February 15 build was a few weeks old, a devastating mistake for BioWare that likely led to far more negative reviews than they might have received otherwise. A patch a few days later fixed some of the bugs, such as audio drops and sluggish loading screens, that were highlighted in reviews, but it was too late. By the time the Metacritic score had settled, it was a 55.
That definitely left a bad impression in my mind.

BioWare better hope Dragon Age 4 is a good game or EA might be axing another studio.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I skimmed that article. It was waaaaaaaay longer than it needed to be, I got the point after a couple of paragraphs.

I still enjoyed the time it took me to get up to "end game" in Anthem, and I think that in 6 months the game will probably be in a pretty good place. That being said, I also think you're right - Dragon Age is going to make or break them. Even their reputation isn't going to save them from three games like this in a row.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Really bad move releasing the super buggy "demo". I agree that it caused us to cancel and move on to Division 2 which has been an awesome game. Even without the bugs it was kind of lacking in some areas.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

It does give me hope though that if they get the right management team in place, there's still enough of what makes Bioware still there. If they cranked out the majority of the game in the last 12-16 months like that Kotaku article states - that's pretty damn good. We'll see.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If one really wants to try this game Amazon has it (the $80 version) for $15. Talk about a price drop! Sales must have been pretty bad.

I feel bad for people who bought this at full price.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Rushing this game to market probably cost them tens of millions of dollars in sales.
Gaklek
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gaklek »

I played it and finished it(main story line) with friends in a week. One of them bought the deluxe version that came with 2 free passes for 7 days on launch. Never bothered to renew. It was fun, but the content was so short and repetitive that it just wasn't worth paying to wait for new monthly content launches.