God of War (PS4!)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

God of War (PS4!)

Post by Aslanna »

Commercial

15 mins of gameplay

Looks good! Got my preorder in. Burnout Paradise holding me over until 20-Apr.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: God of War (PS4!)

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, it's a definite buy for me, too - I've always liked the God Of War games. I'm picking up Ni No Kuni 2 this week, and I'm trying to find something that will keep me busy on my Switch for a 2 week work trip (I get back the day GoW comes out). I'm also kind of amused at the date they chose to release it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Reviews are coming out. Universal acclaim!

It sounds like another PS4 exclusive knocks it out of the park again.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Shame it can't be played on a PC. Greedy Sony. Limited to weak sauce PS4 power. Would probably look great in full 4K without being handicapped.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's not a shame. Sony is a hardware company.. They makes games to sell their hardware (and to make a profit on those games themselves). Why is that a shame? If they released their games on PC there would be zero reason to buy a PS4. Just as there is zero reason to buy an XBO.

Funny. 4 years ago you didn't have the same complaint about Xbox. You were all about those XBOX EXCLUSIVES lolz. Is that even a thing anymore? The last one they released (Sea of Thieves) got like a measly 6.5. Must be time for another Forza or Halo to be released!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

We have Sony to thank for lack of cross platform gaming as well. Great company! Looking out for their gamers. It's not like PS4 users don't have friends that prefer more powerful consoles or even more powerful PCs and would be nice to play with those friends.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Typical deflection as usual. Take your fanboi trolling elsewhere.

I'll be enjoying playing the game in a week. Apparently you'll be off in a corner crying about something or other that Sony did. Or perceived to have done. If you don't have anything to add about the game don't bother. Nobody cares!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hope it does well. Have they improved the combat system or is it still waiting for key sequences to pop up on the screen? Hope it's not a combination of cut scenes and smashing the right button...circle, triangle triangle triangle, square. Hopefully that part of the game has been improved.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

There are reviews that cover all of that stuff but from what I can tell:

Button mashing isn't really a viable way to play this game anymore.

There is a prompt for a finishing move but I don't think fights are QTE heavy any longer. I think it's the same button every time.

There are no cut scenes in the game it's all one camera shot. Unless you die I guess.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Looks awesome, can't wait to play it.

Hey, at least MS is adding backwards compatibility for 20 year old games that no one actually gives a shit about playing though! I guess upscaling Perfect Dark to 4K is better than nothing, amirite?!?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Looks awesome, can't wait to play it.

Hey, at least MS is adding backwards compatibility for 20 year old games that no one actually gives a shit about playing though! I guess upscaling Perfect Dark to 4K is better than nothing, amirite?!?

Not to derail but some backward's compatibility is nice:

'Red Dead Redemption' Raises The Bar For Xbox One X Enhanced Xbox 360 Games
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This post is in the wrong forum! PC!

D'awwwwe:

https://kotaku.com/god-of-war-directors ... 1825418395

It is nice to see effort pay off for some people.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Played the first couple hours last night, this game is great! I don't have a 4K TV, but it's still probably the best looking game I've seen. I really like what they've done with the combat, too. I'm playing on the 'give me a challenge' difficulty, and I've been getting my ass kicked. I'm going to try and stick with it, but I noticed there are no trophies tied to it, so if I really hit a wall I might dial it down.

The single cut thing is pretty cool too, it really does make it more immersive - like a movie that you get to control.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Correct, there are no trophies for difficulty thankfully. I started playing on the second option, Give Me a Balanced Experience, and probably about half way though I bumped it down to the lowest level just because I wanted to get through the story. I never got stuck at any point I just didn't feel like making it harder on myself than I needed to. There is a LOT of cleanup stuff, depending on how much side stuff you did during the story, if going for the platinum so if you wanted you could bump the difficult back up for all that.
Finally, there’s Give Me God of War, the hardest one. It’s insane. You’ll probably regret if you pick it. It’s so hard, people report spending hours on the first boss, dying multiple times on the first fight in the game, and such. The enemies are not only scaled up, but they’re also more aggressive, and most enemies become elite after taking damage. Kratos does less damage and dies much more easily because parry attacks are less effective, and it’s much harder to fill up Spartan Rage bar. Worst of all, you can’t change the difficulty once you’ve picked this one – you’ll have to stick with it, or start over from the beginning.
Pass! I am really glad this isn't like previous God of War games that required completing hard mode (and a speedrun) to get the Platinum because otherwise I'd say fuck it.

I'm really not feeling the axe though. I always forget to call it back and go to throw it at someone and due to the runic attack (I think) it does an annoying jump forward attack motion and pisses me off every time. That's not really the games fault that's more an issue with my coordination. I am just not used to having a weapon you don't always have in your hand.

Cory seems cool. I hope he doesn't go to prison because he made this game.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The worst part about this game is that it will be like 3-4 years before the next one comes out!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

One of PlayStation’s most iconic series is reaching new heights this week. Thanks to all of you, our fans, God of War has become the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive, with more than 3.1 million units sold globally in the first three days (April 20–22).
Not bad for a non-games-as-service, no microtransactions/loot boxes (or DLC), single player only game.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

New trailer for Fathers Day. One of the better ones for the game they've done imo.

New Game+ is coming. However it sounds like the difficulty increases. I just want to play through the story again on the easiest setting while still having all my stuff is that so much to ask?!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

God of War - Game of the Year 2018 whoooo! I guess that ole "weak sauce PS4 power" comes through once again.

Only on PlayStation!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

God of War, the open-world adventure game from Sony Interactive Entertainment and SIE Santa Monica Studio, was a big winner at the 22nd annual DICE Awards. The PlayStation 4 game took top honors in nine categories, including Game of the Year, at today’s award show.

In addition to winning Game of the Year, God of War won awards in game direction, game design, story, and art direction.
Skip Red Dead Redemption 2 and play this instead if you haven't!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I liked it. I bought it and finished it, which is saying a lot for me these days. I buy a small fraction of the number of games that I used to, and I could probably count the number of games I've played to the end in the last two years on my hands.

I liked that combat was tougher and required a bit more tactic and less spamming buttons / long combos. I also liked that even though it was an open world game, it wasn't over the top with way too much shit to do like most open world games.