Assassins Creed: Origins (PC)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Assassins Creed: Origins (PC)

Post by Winnow »

I want to get this game. It passes the eye test and reviews of the game play itself are positive.

There are a bazillion negative reviews because Ubisoft is using multiple DRMs causing even i7 CPUs to max out near or at 100 percent usage constantly when running this game. This is a case where I would shell out the $60 but will wait for a pirated version instead. Grats Ubisoft!

Games like the Witcher 3 get rewarded with my $$. Easily pirated, moddable, etc, yet worth buying anyway. If all companies were like Ubisoft, the Xbox One X would be the best choice.

When you have a good product (like Game of Thrones) it doesn't matter if it's the most pirated show in history. You never should penalize your paying customers.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Assassins Creed: Origins (PC)

Post by Winnow »

I went ahead and bought it anyway but shame on Ubisoft....SHAME!

Will see if I regret it (due to DRM) soon.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Why shame on Ubisoft? You're the one who made the decision to buy it.

Personally I'll just get it on PS4 in 3 months when it's $20.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Best Assassins Creed I've played so far. The year off from pumping out an AC game annually did them some good. Ancient Egypt is an interesting setting.

Map looks huge. I'm just fishing up the beginning area. Side quest are interesting (like with the Witcher 3) Solid cut scenes, etc. Plenty of hidden treasure and things you'll miss if don't scout around. Loot drops and character improvements come at a steady pace. Decent variety of weapons to choose from for combat styles both melee and ranged.

The game runs fine on my i7 980TI but my PC is hot, CPU fan on high speed thanks to the DRM crap. It's the CPU not the GPU that the DRM is maxing. If you don't have an i7, don't bother with the game.

Xbox One X would be the best platform this go around due to the DRM stuff. PS4 would choke on a dick with these high end graphics or probably they'd be tuned down which is lame. I'm running 4K "high" settings.

If you've enjoyed AC games in the past but thought they were getting stale, this game should be on your radar.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:The game runs fine on my i7 980TI but my PC is hot, CPU fan on high speed thanks to the DRM crap. It's the CPU not the GPU that the DRM is maxing. If you don't have an i7, don't bother with the game.
PC is fine. Yours is just ancient. Why don't you sell some of those bitcoins and upgrade to something modern? i7 is so last decade.

Ubisoft already said that the DRM has nothing to do with it so at this point it's he-said she-said. At least until a cracked version is released and people can run comparisons. But hey you're a Republican so you believe every conspiracy story you read on the internet.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
PC is fine. Yours is just ancient. Why don't you sell some of those bitcoins and upgrade to something modern? i7 is so last decade.

Ubisoft already said that the DRM has nothing to do with it so at this point it's he-said she-said. At least until a cracked version is released and people can run comparisons. But hey you're a Republican so you believe every conspiracy story you read on the internet.

Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz from last year is ancient? Can't be the SSD since I have the ludicrous speed M.2 NVNe drive (translation: 3-4 times as fast as your SSD). What are you rocking in your PC?

We'll see about the DRM. They added a second layer of DRM a day or so after the game was released which caused all sorts of performance issues but you go ahead and believe what Ubisoft tells you!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

i9's are the new hotness. Make it happen.

Also the I7-6700 is over 2 years old.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Next motherboard/CPU scheduled upgrade: 2022

Subject to change based off of VR developments. Not subject to change based off of crappy DRM.

I'm keeping an eye out for the pirated version. As with TV shows that have commercials, etc, I'll probably play the pirated version even though I own it for a better experience.

The game itself is fun. The main character looks like Lucio from Overwatch..Boop!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This game is worth full price but I think will be $35 on Black Friday Deals (forget where, probably multiple places).
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

AC games, and Ubisoft games in general, typically drop in price fairly quickly. If you have nothing else to do then sure pay $60. But if you're in no rush and can wait a few months it's better to wait and get it at least half off.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:AC games, and Ubisoft games in general, typically drop in price fairly quickly. If you have nothing else to do then sure pay $60. But if you're in no rush and can wait a few months it's better to wait and get it at least half off.
Origins has already sold more than twice what Syndicate sold so it's doing ok. I'm happy waiting an extra year is being rewarded. Hopefully it will happen more. I agree wait if not in a rush to play a game. I was in the mood for a quality game.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Continuing my run of playing all AC games this year I started on Origins as it was cheap on one of the (frequent) Ubisoft sales on PSN. I swear they have an Ubisoft sale at least once a month.
Assassin’s Creed® Origins Gold Edition (Full Game and Add-On Content) - $24.99
Not bad considering it was $100 ($80? I've seen both) at release. I saved $75! I would prefer the physical versions of games but the digital discount is just too good most of the time these days.

I am playing it on the PS4 Pro and it's just fine regardless of the speculation of others. I've maybe played about 10 hours but it's still hard to get used to after playing all the previous AC games for the past 3 months.

One cool thing I have noticed is if a patrolling enemy comes across one that you killed they will pick up the body and carry it off. I'm not sure if that's all areas but the bigger ones all had something like that and I thought it was a small, but nice, touch.

The dude that keeps running me over with his boat when I am swimming though can fuck off. I'm trying to swim over here!

--