Destiny 2 (PS4 / PC / XBO)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Destiny 2 (PS4 / PC / XBO)

Post by Aslanna »

September 6th!

I am glad they ditched last gen consoles. Maybe they can do a lot more now.

Mixed thoughts on a PC version though. If people thought the console version of Destiny was littered with exploiters (which it was) wait until it's on PC.

I am sure they will sell a lot more copies though so it's not a surprise why they did it.
Last edited by Aslanna on September 1, 2017, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Destiny 2 (PS4 / PC / XBO)

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah there's a lot of things they'll have to change to get me interested again. I don't think it'll happen, but I hope it does!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Teaser trailer

Reveal Trailer

I sort of preferred the teaser one. Either way, Cayde-6 aplenty! That's never a bad thing.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Thank god it's on PC. Can use the controller or keyboard combo you want combined with the best performance your PC can provide.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah I'm in for PC. I played the first on xbone. It was alright, but figured it would be way more fun on PC.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Destiny 2 Gameplay Premiere

A bit disappointed that the Guided Game thing seems to be only a half measure. Just give the option for matchmaking to those who want it ffs.

Gameplay Trailer

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

At least they were smart enough to get rid of the retarded/useless space ship screen.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Destiny 2 Gameplay Premiere

A bit disappointed that the Guided Game thing seems to be only a half measure. Just give the option for matchmaking to those who want it ffs.

Gameplay Trailer
Agreed, at this point their insistence on not having matchmaking is childish. Final Fantasy 14 has it, and the raids in that game are far more difficult than anything that will ever be in destiny, and it works just fine there.

I also didn't notice much of a visual difference, which I was expecting considering it's not on the last gen consoles now.

It also didn't sound like there would be much end game content, which was another of my complaints. There was no where near enough in the first game, and another 1 raid with 3-4 strikes just isn't enough.

They also got the grind really wrong, imo. It should be done in a much more typical MMO way (again, ff14 system is a good example).

It does sound like they fixed some of the big issues, and I'll keep an ear out for more info, but based on what I've seen so far it's a pass for me.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Beta started now! At least if you pre-ordered. I think it will be open to everyone over the weekend.

It does seem a lot of the same.. But I enjoyed the one story mission you get to play. I'll probably pick it up but I don't think I'll spend as much time with it as I did with D1.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I didn't bother with the beta. I'll probably buy it just because my friends will be playing it, and other than the couple of people that play FF XIV with me, it's the only game coming out that is co-op/multiplayer that I'm interested in. That being said, the more I hear the less I think I'll like it. Them insisting on keeping the gear balanced the same for PVE/PVP is really holding the game back; from everything I've heard, you feel gimped in PVE, and it's clearly so that they could "balance" PVP. I foresee myself playing it a bit for the first few months and likely fading away.

It's too bad. A full scale, subscription based MMO version of Destiny could be a huge seller, and is certainly more of what I'm actually looking for.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Every game I've known of, starting from EverQuest, that has a PVP component has always fucked up the PVE game in terms of balance. I don't know why devs can't get it right and balance both. Sure it's harder but it can't be an impossible task. Or maybe it is!

For those not that interested I'd suggest waiting until year 2 or something where you can get it cheaper along with some DLC included. I have it preordered, mostly to get beta access, but i'm still not decided as I don't have a lot of time these days for gaming.

And of course their resistance to full matchmaking is a whole load of horseshit.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSxElWwWVFE

Not the puppies!

The song doesn't really fit the trailer. I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZyQK6kUdWQ is a better live action trailer.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Made me motion sick! Didn't even get through the opening mission.

I suppose it could be the size of my screen so close to me but Overwatch doesn't cause this. Strange.

From what I saw, it looked the same as Destiny. Maybe they should have just improved the original instead of force everyone to pay 60.00 for mostly same game.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You sure get motion sick a lot.

If it was the PC version you can probably adjust the FOV when that comes out. I hear that helps most people who get the woozies in first person games.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I played 4 hours last night and didn't get motion sick!

Seems worth the price so far if you like the activities in Destiny. Which is mainly shooting enemies in the head.

Too soon to give real thoughts but one annoyance from Destiny 1 was carried over... The only adjustment to game music is either muted or not muted. No volume slider. And it's still too loud for my liking the same as it was for D1. I really don't know why they don't allow that. I guess muted it will be! I may keep it on until I finish the campaign but after that I don't see leaving it on.

Japan really has better trailers than the US though.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:The only adjustment to game music is either muted or not muted. No volume slider. And it's still too loud for my liking the same as it was for D1
Seriously? On a AAA game no volume adjustments? That's incredibly lame. First thing I do on all games is turn BGM way down and usually sound effects as well. Having multiple volume adjustments is essential. With voice on another app, and other audio, you need to be able to adjust individual settings for volume. You can use the volume mixer in the start mini icon area to adjust individual apps but that shouldn't be required.

Grats on no motion sickness! Turns out I was beginning to get sick the day I tried Destiny so that may have contributed to it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I am not saying the music is bad.. It's actually pretty good. I just don't know why they don't have a slider for it as I'd like it a bit lower. It's not a game breaker or anything for me.

I'm still adjusting to the UI. It's mostly the same but there are some small changes. Like for example to bring up the map and stuff is a hold of the touch pad whereas bringing up the ghost and such is just a tap. I keep tapping it when I mean to hold it. I'll get it eventually!

I don't like how shaders are now a consumable. I used to change them all the time just for fun and now you have to be more tactical with them.

The end boss is just annoying. Maybe I wasn't geared well enough for offense but it was tedious to defeat him. I spent more time running away from him, while shooting adds, than I did damaging him.

Even if it's back to patrols and strikes once all the missions are done I still have received my moneys worth at this point. Some say it's the same game but it's not. Sure the bones of it are the same, it's a sequel after all, but most sequels are usually quite similar to those that came before it. Fallout 3 -> Fallout 4 for example. But a lot of the things changed in Destiny 2 have made for a better game.

Having said that, I am still enjoying the game. It has a 'story' for people who whined about that for Destiny 1. The game has a lot of humor, during the main campaign and off with the side quests. It's not a slapstick comedy or anything but the dialog has maybe me laugh out loud many times.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:The game has a lot of humor, during the main campaign and off with the side quests. It's not a slapstick comedy or anything but the dialog has maybe me laugh out loud many times.
That's because of Nathon Fillion (Mal from Firefly). I noticed he had a bigger role this time just in the few minutes I played of the demo.

I'm sure the music is decent. Sliders should be mandatory in all games that have BGM.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The other characters that play off Cayde also work well especially in the side missions (or whatever they are called) that I played. For example one of the missions someone comes on and asks "Are you doing Cayde's chores?" (It was funnier during the mission!). That Cayde guy is a slacker. Failsafe also grew on me although I didn't like her at first. Seemed a bit too forced but I just went along it.

All around I think the dialog is pretty solid throughout the game although Zavala is a bit too much of a debbie downer a lot.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Destiny 2 Soundtrack so you can decide for yourself if it's good or bad.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Wrapped up the main story last night. It was a decent vehicule to level you up, unlock all the areas and introduce the players. All in all, satisfying.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I now have 3 level 20 characters and have completed the campaign three times. I had the easiest time with my Warlock, which was my second time through, if I had to rank that. Titan, my first time through, probably would have been better if I had gone offense instead of the bubble thingie. Hunters I just don't like playing although the triple jump is nice.

I'm not sure how many hours I have into the game already. Probably an unhealthy amount. It reminded me of how I played each new EQ release with having to level up as fast as possible... But I have finished all the extra stuff to do once you complete the game so I can spend less time with it.

I don't think I'll be grinding public events trying to farm exotics and I doubt I will be touching PvP because PvP is lame.

And I have muted the music, which I really like, simply because that's the only option Bungie left me with.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I ended up picking it up. I've only played one character, up to 280 power now - I just haven't yet completed the prestige nightfall or the raid. I like it overall, and still intend to go around and find all the golden chests/lost sectors/do all the adventures, but at my current pace I can see myself getting bored and putting it down within the next month or so tops. I keep saying it, but the game could be so much better if they went full on MMO structured similar to FF 14.

There is a little bit more variety in mechanics for the different fights, but I'm really looking for the level of mechanics in the raid to be present in content like the strikes. I've enjoyed my time with it so far, so I don't want it to seem like I've got nothing good to say about it, it's just a shame to keep seeing games be only a portion of what they could be because they want to try and market every single fucking game to the lowest common denominator, Call of Duty crowd.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm around 280 on all three characters. Now that all that's out of the way I probably won't spend as many hours in the game as I have been. I need a break! I'm mostly just doing the weekly stuff that grants the 'powerful gear' engrams which I forgot the name of. Luminous maybe? I don't bother much with the daily busy work.

I have attempted the Nightfall last week. We made it to the end but ran out of time with the boss about half health. It didn't help that I didn't know the strike although that was the one in the beta. Then I tried it again on Tuesday after the reset and barely made it to the boss with about 1 minute left so that was another fail. Honestly I can't say I am a fan of the time limit for the Nightfalls. I get that people were cheesing your strikes (I was one of them!) but you could have found another solution. At least give 5 more minutes or something to start out. Yeah I know many people have completed it so "get good". Whatever! That's what the 'Prestige" Nightfalls should be for.

Most of the people in my clan that I've heard from HATE the Crucible change to 4v4 . I'm one of them since as a not very good pvp person having 5 others that picked up the slack was nice. It also seems just a weird number since fireteams consist of 3 people and the raid is 6. 4 doesn't work into there anywhere!

I still think the shader changes are stupid. Sure you are "swimming in shaders" just from doing stuff but you need 5 of one color if you want your armor to be consistent. Good luck getting just the ones you want and not a bajillion other random ones. I'm totally ignoring that aspect of things. I look like what I look like and that's that! It's just ironic that a change they supposedly made to allow more options (yeah right!) ends up having the opposite effect. I don't want to apply the ones I have now since I may find different armor I want to use tomorrow! I sure as shit am not going to farm random shaders in this game everytime I change items.

The clan rewards are nice. Free gear! It's not a lot each week but it helps. I think we're level 3 or something now. Being able to get raid gear, albeit at power 10, just by having someone in your clan do the raid is a good idea. Did Bungie come with this on their own or are there some other games doing it? Obviously you'll get many more drops by actually doing the raid yourself but hey it is better than a poke in the eye.

The Bright engrams are nice as well as if you play the game you don't have to bother with microtransactions to get some of the 'cool' stuff. I usually pick up one of those every other day or two. I've gotten all the Exotic emotes other than the ramen one. I wonder if they will slow the XP rate down on the overlevel aspect. Although it's hard to judge if it's too fast since I've been playing a lot. You can't really balance things around people that play 8 hours a day. Well you can but I'm not sure how fair that is for those with not as much time.

Honestly it's about what I expected. A few things they improved upon and a few things I feel they made worse. I haven't done the raid at this time but so far my rating of the game would be 8.5/10. I forgot what I gave Destiny 1 but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Destiny 2 update!

Forsaken is pretty good. RIP Cayde-6.

Oh and they (finally) added a volume slider for the music back in May so that's one complaint addressed.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I gave up on that game, and Bungie. I'm done buying games by big publishers that break it apart as much as they can to nickel and dime us to death, which is most games. Haven't really been able to get into any games lately in general though, so there's that I guess.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't feel nickle and dimed. Forsaken is an expansion just like Kunark. Without the $15 a month extra charge.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

To each their own, I guess. I was looking for about 6-8 times as much content as there was on release. No interest in running the same half a dozen strikes and shit over and over for months on end to get the same weapons and have the same build as everyone else. Booooooring.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've been off the Destiny 2 train for awhile now and it feels good having the free time!

It's a good game but I got tired of the nerfs and also them rewarding people that don't play regularly. By that I mean I grinded out power for a month or whatever to get to the new max. The next power increase comes out and they make it easy for people to get to that same point. Gee, thanks for valuing their time more than someone who was playing the game every day. That and you, or at least I, never felt like I become overpowered in Destiny regardless of how much higher you are than the enemies. Sure you have more health and can do more damage but so do the enemies. If your shots were doing 10% damage at level 5 they're more than likely going to do 10% damage at level 50.

The whole carrot-stick aspect that these "live service" games have these days isn't that appealing to me. You're doing the same thing over and over just the numbers change.

Oh and also not a fan of the recent Eververse changes either.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I haven't played since shortly before the new expansion, and honestly I don't plan to go back to it anytime soon either. The grind just isn't for me anymore, and the season format makes it worse because they do their best to instill FOMO because you can't get the shit once the season is over.