Final Fantasy XV

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Final Fantasy XV

Post by Winnow »

Didnt see an FFXV thread yet.

This new video looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZymd6r4wGg

No game play but nice looking.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Final Fantasy XV

Post by Funkmasterr »

That's just supposed to be a CG related short video about what would happen if the main character (Noctis) fails to make things right. There are tons of gameplay videos out there - here is a highlights video of the first 5 chapter. Around the 11:30 minute mark is a cool boss fight where you can see some of the game mechanics, and the encounter with Titan starts around 44:30.

I really think this game is going to be awesome. I know that some people are turned off by the fact that it isn't turn based, but I was able to get past that just fine; there is still plenty of depth to the combat. They've been pretty transparent about what to expect, so I don't see there being any big let downs after the full game is released. They've stated that with all of the side content you're looking at over 200 hours of gameplay, so I think this should keep me busy through most of the winter.

Super excited.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Same here, can't wait. The combat looks fun. Played through the demo a few times, it really has a lot of potential, depending on the AI controlled characters. I'm looking forward to the open world, hunting missions, etc. FF12 is still one of my favorites due to the size of the story. The characters less so in that one. I'm hoping 15 combines both character greatness and breadth of story greatness.

And if its shit...well...at least we have the re-release of FF7 right behind it sometime.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:
And if its shit...well...at least we have the re-release of FF7 right behind it sometime.
"right behind" for this company might be around 2020 though.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The way they've been talking, I imagine the first installment of the remake of FF7 will come out sometime around the end of next year. I'm super excited for that too, that's one of, if not my all time favorite game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I guess Conan didn't like it:

http://kotaku.com/conan-on-final-fantas ... 1788982385

I think Conan is a dick in general so can't put much stock in his opinion.

Some parts of the video are funny though.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

My copy is getting delivered early (today). SO EXCITED!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Will the system let you play it today? or do you have to disconnect it from internet?

Sadly, I had to go out of town and won't be back till Friday...boo.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kluden wrote:Will the system let you play it today? or do you have to disconnect it from internet?

Sadly, I had to go out of town and won't be back till Friday...boo.
It let me play it! The Crown Update was even available. I'm loving it so far, the combat is a little tougher than I was expecting, and will definitely take a little practice to get good with, but it's a lot of fun.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm jealous...no doubt. I have to hold on till friday...what a rip!

I played the demo, and the combat did appear to be difficult on the boss fight, I look forward to learning a new system of combat, as the warping attacks were fun. The only thing that concerns me is the AI of the other toons during longer duration battles.

Have fun, luck you.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I can't speak to the AI in longer battles yet as I haven't been in any, but I haven't had any complaints about the AI yet. I played probably 6-7 hours last night, and I only made it through chapter 1 as I've been trying to do all the side stuff in an area around a rest stop before I move on to the next one. I did stumble my way into a level 50 dungeon; apparently you can actually take on the first few floors around level 7 but I just left it and will come back to it when I can push all the way through.

It seems to be getting received fairly well. 84 on metacritic isn't bad for a JRPG, especially when you take into consideration that the length of development and fact that no game that's been in development that long can live up to the hype definitely had to have played a factor in the scores it's been given.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Played FF15 all weekend...I'm really enjoying it. I'm so glad its the opposite of FF13 (or whatever one was with Lightning girl). That game was so boring going in straight lines non stop for hours...never made it to the planet on that one (supposedly eventual open world?). This one is open world from the get go.

I do enjoy the combat, it was my biggest fear. Wish my guys did more, they don't seem to attack that much (as in, some things just dont seem to be dying unless I'm involved), I end up doing most the work.

The travel is ok. running around does take forever. Random encounters are done through the imperials dropping troopers on your head...sometimes mid battle with monsters, which is also super annoying. But again, all mostly manageable. A few of those trooper drops are so damn OP, I couldn't contend at all.

Boss fights are fine, nothing too challenging yet. Did a ton of side quests, so didn't move the story along very far...but far enough. There's just so much to do. I actually enjoy the fishing mini game. I'm pretty boss at fishing apparently.

graphics are great, but you can see times where it bogs down the PS4, and it just doesn't draw everything, leaving out landscapes until it catches up, etc. I imagine its even worse on the xbone...but in all honesty, not even noticeable unless you're trying to see it.

I give it a 9/10. I liked the latest uncharted more so far as a game, but still not far enough along to say for sure if FF15 isn't better once I get it done.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I'm loving it. I'm on chapter 8 and have finished all of the side-quests that I can up to this point (and done a large chunk of the hunts). I'm grossly over leveled for the campaign though - I think when the patch comes out this month that adds new game plus and level limiting I'll start a new game/new game plus where I cap the level low so that I can go through the game once and focus on the campaign and not be over leveled for it.

I was bothered by the troopers at first, but it really makes sense; you're being hunted and as things go on they send better and better troops after you (when I was in my low 30's level wise I had level 45-48 magitek troops dropping on me), and in those cases you may have to run. I believe you're more likely to be spotted when on a chocobo or in battle, as well.

Things that I don't like - inability to have a view of the map that shows icons for all of my quests so I can decide where to go next based on what area has the most quests in it. The camera can be frustrating at times in tight spaces, but very infrequently so it's not enough to be a major negative.

I like the fishing too, but I haven't done a ton of it yet - I'm thinking I'll do that mostly in post game. There's a ton of post game content that I'm excited to see, but again I'm only on Chapter 8 and still have at on of hunts to do, the rest of the campaign, and all the post game shit and I've already got nearly 50 hours into the game, on the whole I'm really happy with it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Another reason to wait for games to be out awhile and go on sale... You usually end up with more content.
Final Fantasy 15 director Hajime Tabata has begun detailing plans for future, free updates for the game, from gameplay improvements to new content. In two separate blog posts, Tabata laid out the roadmap for the game’s post-release patches, which will roll out “throughout the coming year.”

First to come are changes to the game’s thirteenth chapter, a lengthy and heavily criticized portion of the game. Tabata explained that it will receive gameplay improvements to make it more palatable for fans, like making the magical ring item more powerful. Other enhancements will be revealed closer to the patch’s release.

Later patches will focus on narrative, with more cutscenes filling in the gaps in some characters’ storylines. This will require localization and voice acting, Tabata wrote, so players shouldn’t expect these updates for some time.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Might wait for an eventual PC version of this even if it takes a year or two.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I wouldn't say that the content they're adding is a reason to wait - there is plenty of content in the game to keep you busy now - I've put 60 hours in and I'm on chapter 10 of 15, and still have a ton of content to go through post-game. And I'll play through the game several times, so by the time they add new game plus mode later this month I should be ready for it.

I don't have any major complaints either tbh, the stealth parts bugged me a bit, I'd like some changes to make hunts less of a pain to... hunt down, like to be able to pick up items while on a chocobo. Just a few things like that; overall I think it's a great game, and if it hadn't been in development for 10 years (even though it was only like 4, and that's not a good reason to bump the score anyhow), it would be at more like a 95 on metacritic.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:I wouldn't say that the content they're adding is a reason to wait -
It has more to do with the resolution/graphics. Tried the FFXV demo and it didn't look that great. Hoping there will be an enhanced version later for PC.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think it's one of, if not the best looking console games. There are a few draw issues and other minor things, and it'll obviously look better on PC, but it's not bad on console.