Plex vs Kodi

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Plex vs Kodi

Post by Winnow »

Someone recently mentioned to me how easy it is to install kodi w/add-ons (xbmc) on an Amazon Firestick (or anything else PC/IOS/Android)

I had a Firestick laying around that I never really used. Took all of 20 mins or so to setup and now it plays all TV shows (current and past seasons) and new and old movies.

Does Plex do this as well? I believe the difference between the two is that Kodi supports Add-Ons which allow for tons of things both legit and not so legit.

here's a shady looking guy that shows you how to setup Kodi w/Exodus: (on Firestick)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvP52F5LVU

If want on PC (just as easy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5Mz2Yci4c

PC guy talks a lot but it's straight forward.

Exodus (most popular add-on) is pretty advanced. All the TV shows well organized, fancy themes backgrounds, thumbs/summaries for individual shows, search, categories like "new TV shows" "new episodes" etc. Same for movies.

Probably best on something like 39.00 Firestick since you can plug into back of your TV and be done with it, but if you have a PC, you can easily have full access to movies and TV shows within a few mins.

Quality of streams can vary although there appears to be a lot of sources for each movie/show. Shows look like they appear same day they release. Probably not good for main source of all media but very good for catching up on old episodes or checking out new shows/movies etc.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Plex vs Kodi

Post by Aslanna »

Probably not something that I'd bother to test out. I have a PC and not a Firestick. I have no need for any add-ons at this juncture.

Plex works fine for me. And I was happy to pay $75 for a lifetime subscription! But even the free version does most of what people would want/need. But sure more options are never a bad thing.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Probably not something that I'd bother to test out. I have a PC and not a Firestick. I have no need for any add-ons at this juncture.

Plex works fine for me. And I was happy to pay $75 for a lifetime subscription! But even the free version does most of what people would want/need. But sure more options are never a bad thing.
I think the point of having Kodi/Exodus even if you use Plex is to have access (free) to all TV and Movies. For the best stuff I'd get high quality copies of the TV series/Movies I want for my library but stuff you may not want to keep or just try out it's great.

Brady Bunch for example:

Series from 1969-1974. Probably don't want all episodes, maybe just a memorable one you want to see. All Seasons posted.

Nicely laid out Thumbs/descriptions

Didn't even know there was a cartoon series but showed up on search.

Image Image

Lots of ways to tree search for things.

Easy to search for Actors/Movies/TV Series

Sample search for actor. Three pages of movies.

I'd call it a supplement to Plex if you have collection organized already there. It's a small stand alone app that's easily configured to provide access to streaming TV/Movies/Live TV sports (sometimes)/Music, etc.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Since recently picking up an 8 TB hard drive for my multimedia files, I've organized my TV shows pretty well.

I used Kodi to scan my TV folder. It was really fast. Only took a minute or two to fully index my entire library complete with artwork and actor portraits, etc. it basically just links to IMdB for movie and TV data.

I'll probably still access my TV from my file manager most of the time but it's kind of nifty how the actors, etc are cross referenced to other shows within my own library.

Even if you have Plex (which can be integrated with Kodi as an Add-On) I'd recommend getting Kodi (with Exodus add-on, instruction video linked in previous message) to have access to almost all TV and Movies streamed.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Popular media center app maker Plex just took the next step to become the go-to solution for cord cutters: Plex has acquired Menlo Park, Calif.-based news video startup Watchup, and now plans to add news feeds from local broadcasters and other publishing partners to its app in the coming months.

“The cord cutter messaging is resonating well with our audience,” said Plex CEO Keith Valory during a recent interview with Variety. The company saw a lot of interest in its recently-launched DVR beta test, which allows Plex users to record over-the air television from broadcast networks like ABC, CBS and NBC, and took this as an encouragement to add more online content directly to Plex. “News is the next step,” Vallory said. “It certainly won’t be the end.”
Plex keeps getting better! Probably not a feature I'd use but nice that they are continuing to add to it. Still not regretting my Plex lifetime subscription purchase!
Plex, which is based in Los Gatos, Calif., has raised more than $11 million in funding from investors including Kleiner Perkins, Klass Capital, Tribal Brands and others. The company said this week that its software is used by 10 million people, and Vallory said that the typical Plex user spends on average 14-15 hours per week in the app.
10 million! If I want a media center that I can utilize on my PC, tablet (Fire... It was cheap!), iPhone, console (PS4), and Smart TV, all with the same UI, Plex is the only option!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
10 million! If I want a media center that I can utilize on my PC, tablet (Fire... It was cheap!), iPhone, console (PS4), and Smart TV, all with the same UI, Plex is the only option!
Well it's the only option except for Kodi, which now has a Plex add-on so you can have the best of both worlds. I bought Plex for iOS but don't use it.

From Plex web site:
Currently available as a preview to our premium Plex Pass subscribers, the Plex for Kodi add-on gives users the best of both worlds; the advanced customization of Kodi home theater and the beauty and simplicity of Plex for access on any device, anywhere, anytime.
https://www.plex.tv/apps/computer/kodi/

So you can have Plex (or just use Kodi) for your local collection of media and also access almost every TV/Movie show in the known universe as well with Kodi's other Add-ons.

Now that's a great way to take advantage of your premium Plex Pass subscription!

Kodi has a much larger install base than Plex, can be installed on practically anything/os, and is being worked on constantly for improvements. I'm using Kodi 16.x (Jarvis), 17.x Krypton RC 4 is out so the final will be release shortly. The next verson aftter Krypton will be 18x (Leia)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Pass!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Well they both derive from XBMC so you have Xbox and Microsoft to thank!

I view the two as Plex does one thing. Kodi does that same thing plus a whole lot more. I prefer client side and open source over server side as well. I'm sure Plex works fine as a media server but for every other TV/Movie that you don't have in your collection, there's Kodi/Exodus. (and Real-Debrid if you know what's up!)

Thanks Xbox!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Well they both derive from XBMC so you have Xbox and Microsoft to thank!
Why would I thank Xbox or Microsoft? Other than that's the first place the software, which wasn't authorized, appeared, Microsoft had nothing to do with it.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:Well they both derive from XBMC so you have Xbox and Microsoft to thank!
Why would I thank Xbox or Microsoft? Other than that's the first place the software, which wasn't authorized, appeared, Microsoft had nothing to do with it.
Well, for starters, Microsoft didn't go all crazy on mod'ers after the Xbox was hacked.

Sony actually has linux on the PS3 and took it away.

And we all know what happens when someone hacks the PS3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUvuaChDEg

You get sued!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Wow. Totally valid and well-thought out reasons as usual from you.

*sarcasm

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I know you're a pro Plex user and all but lets kick things back..oh say about 12 YEARS on this forum:

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... hilit=xbmc Jan 5th, 2005
Winnow wrote:There are receivers out that have ethernet connections now. Your wireless requirement aside, a modded X-Box including X-Box Media Center (XBMC) is the best for playing music and videos from your computer through your home entertainment center.

I personally use a 10 foot TOS Link (opticall) digital cable between by PC and Home Theater Receiver to play music and use a 10 foot DVI cable from my PC video card to my projector for the video part. This isn't practical unless your PC is relativealy close to your reveiver.

If I didn't do this, my next best option would be X-Box via LAN as you can stream both audio and video fast enough that way to play DVDs. X-Box can't handle HD material though.
Oh and hey, who did Sylvus ask for advice back in 2005 as well?

Winnow: Xbox question

and other thread topics:

Winnow, i want my xbox360 to play...

XBOX360 (Winnow you out there?)

Check out those threads for some old school XBMC. That's back when I took the time to be helpful. Not so much anymore. So when I have short answers these days it's less that I don't know what I'm talking about and more that it's not worth the effort anymore.

I thought about saying Plex is more for the less techie consumer and Kodi is more for those that like to get the most out of things by customizing and endless add-on features but really, Kodi is brain dead easy as well. 10 minute you tube videos show how to get the "add-on" features working.

Maybe:

Plex for Ninjas (and remote media streaming)
Kodi for Pirates
Kodi with Plex Add-On for NinjaPirates!