No Man's Sky

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Aslanna »

New patch now live! Atlas Rises:
Featuring a new central storyline players can discover more about the universe and themselves, as well as a wide array of new and improved features. Whether you’re a veteran interloper or completely new to the No Man’s Sky universe, there has never been a better time to start your journey.

Here’s a quick run down of the main features:

30 hours of branching story and deeper lore
Procedurally generated guild missions
Much deeper interstellar trading
Star Systems have varying wealth, conflict and economies
Overhauled Space combat controls, weapons and AI
Portals stargates enable quick travel
Terrain manipulation for more complex bases
New farming and mining interactions bring increased depth
Increased biome variety and Rare exotic biomes
Analysis visor & discovery improvements
Galaxy map and many other UI improvements
New S Class ship designs
Low altitude flight and the ability to crash your ship
Crashed Freighters to salvage on planets
Joint exploration

Our story gives a new context, quest system and branching narrative to No Man’s Sky. In the Atlas Rises story, the fabric of existence is starting to falter. A mysterious new interdimensional race have appeared, and ancient portals have begun to open.

Glitches in the simulation, visualised by strange floating orbs, allow players to see and communicate with up to 16 other travellers and explore the universe together.

While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man’s Sky.

We hope you enjoy this and what follows – look forward to seeing you out there!

This week marks the one year anniversary of No Man’s Sky and on behalf of myself, and the team at Hello Games I just want to say – Thank you for this year. Thank you for playing, providing feedback, discovering, sharing and so much more…
Sounds good. Yeah this should have been in at release blah blah blah... But at least they didn't take the money and then abandon the game.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:Sounds good. Yeah this should have been in at release blah blah blah... But at least they didn't take the money and then abandon the game.
This new "episode/chapter/etc." model is shitty.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's not episodic!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tried it again. It made me nauseous from motion sickness.

I did have fun with this game back when it was released. It's a cool concept but is lacking an interesting story. I'm sure I would have played more when I first tried out this game if it wasn't rushed by Sony (rumor has it).
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sure it did... No idea why now all of the sudden it would make you motion sick. I haven't seen that mentioned in other articles.

Try setting the FoV to something higher.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Sure it did... No idea why now all of the sudden it would make you motion sick. I haven't seen that mentioned in other articles.

Try setting the FoV to something higher.
There's a lot of motion going on in No Man's Sky. I suppose it was caused by moving the camera constantly looking for resources while jet-packing, along with jarring motion scenes like when entering and exiting your space ship or when you "E" lock onto some objects it creates an unnecessary motion scene to focus on it. It could also be because I'm playing on a 55 inch screen that's pretty close to me, although that doesn't impact games like Overwatch which has crazy fast motion..

Anyway, I had to stop playing because I felt sick. Similar to back in the day when I played Duke Nukem 3D. I don't get motion sick in most games these days but thought it worth bringing it up since I did in this one. I always turn off crap like "camera shake" immediately when I play new games. That is irritating along with excessive "bouncing" while running in games.

I began a new game and had a really nice looking starter planet but lost it because the game made me restart after I adjusted the micro window to my 4K display size and then it gave me a different starer planet afterwards.

The game is well worth playing and certainly worth whatever it sells for now at this point (29.00 I think) if you like exploration/resource gathering type games.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tried it again.

Got a toxic starter planet but dealt with it.

The game really has some strong points. In the beginning, it's fun to figure out what you need to do to get your ship up and running, travel to a base station, and eventually to other star systems.

The procedural generated planets are well done but there are still some issues. My first off planet mission had me travel to a moon to locate a distress beacon. I landed close by and found it. It was at the bottom of a pit. After I activated the beacon, I couldn't get out of the hole. My jet pack didn't have enough juice to get me out. I eventually barely got out by kind of pressing up against the wall while jetpacking and worked my way up.

I don't mind playing single player games, but No Man's Sky really makes you feel isolated. IRL I don't really care if I see most people, but in this game, it feels like, while fun discovering new shit, crafting new, shit, etc, what's the point? The few NPCs in the space stations don't give a damn.

It needs multiplayer. I think running around with someone else, building a base, etc would be cool. Without a strong storyline though, single player lacks much to motivate to continue. If you've seen one random planet, you haven't seen them all, but see 10-15 of them, you start to think you may have. It may have a Quintilian systems and infinite combos of animals, plants, etc but that doesn't equal infinite playability.

Worth checking out if you like discovery, crafting, survival, equipment leveling type games but the game really could have used a story and maybe more interesting NPCs on base stations.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

New (Next?) patch out. Also available on Xbox as well.now Give it a try! It includes multiplayer but I think the odds of randomly running into someone else would be pretty low but if you have people you regularly play online with it sounds easy to find (and join) them.

I bought it for $20 back in Nov 2016 and never bothered to install it. I will eventually but in a way I am glad I haven't since each patch makes it better than it was at launch.

--