Pantheon?

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Pantheon?

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Did any of you happen to catch the live stream? Same day that EQNext folds, McQuaid has the live stream of his "vaporware" and promptly teabagged their corpse. Thought for a pre-alpha that there is some serious promise....basically an updated EQ with hard mode enabled to weed out the WoW kids.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Pantheon?

Post by Boogahz »

I didn't catch the stream, but a guildie posted about this game the day before EQNext was canceled. I thought the timing was funny at least.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

"Orc stomps, or kills, orc weapons your blood will spill!" Orc pawn, Desert of Ro.
"You're just another mirage!" A desert madman, Desert of Ro
"Grrr bark bark Grrrrrr" Anonymous Gnoll, Splitpaw
"Froaaak" Anonymous Froglok, Guk

"You've ruined your own lands! You'll not ruin mine!"

Arrrgh! My Eyes!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm a little late to this party, but I caught some of the footage from December on Youtube recently - this has definitely piqued my interest. Between this and Star Citizen I suppose I'll need to build a new PC late this year.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I watched a 3 hour stream while doing other stuff a couple weeks ago. Almost seems like Brad 'borrowed' (or was given) some EQ code/assets.The buff sound (at around 1:25) is exactly the same as in EQ. A bunch of the text responses were the same as well like the faction messages and when you conned something red "What would you like your tombstone to say?". Inventory window was basically the same as was the loot and pet windows. Sure this is "pre-alpha" so a lot could be placeholder stuff. I just found it interesting that the underlying game engine (not graphics) seemed to be EQ.

From one of the questions asked it sounds like they are planning on the $15 a month subscription model with maybe a 'free' option for the first 5-10 levels just so you get an idea about the game. It doesn't look terrible at this point but it does seem to be EQ with better graphics. This is a Brad game so there are things like forced downtime or as they said (paraphrasing) "opportunities to socialize, manage your inventory, etc". I can't say I agree with Brad's philosophy on certain systems, mechanics, and design decisions.

I'm not going to shit on this but will say it is not for me but hopefully there will be some out there who enjoy it and it finds a niche audience. Brad doesn't have the greatest track record these days.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I'm interested but I definitely am still a bit unsure of if I'll be on board or not. As fond as my memories of 4 hour ToV raids and getting steamrolled by FOH, if things are exactly like that in this game I don't know that I have the time (or the patience) for that anymore. I'll be keeping an eye on it though.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It will be open world encounters.. Not instanced content they said so... Yeah. Not for me!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, the instancing doesn't necessarily bother me, but if the raids/dungeons are going to take as long to go through as in EQ that might turn me off, it's seriously rare that I'll have 4+ hours in a stretch to do a raid, and end game content is where the fun is.
Gaklek
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gaklek »

I'll be in pre-alpha sometime soon here. I'll give everyone the scoop. I hope it's as good as it looks to be. Gotta have a little trust in Brad, he already stole years of our lives away once...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Pre-order packages:

$69 will include:

Full set of Rubicite armor. 2hp/sec regen!
1 Manastone
1 DE Mask (otherwise fat-ass barbs and trolls won't be able to enter some zones)

$99

add a Fishbone Earring and some Golden Efreeti Boots
Gaklek
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gaklek »

Lol @Winnow. That would be dope if they included SoW boots.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I wish I could get hardcore into a game like EQ again but I just don't have the time to devote to it. Maybe as a casual it could be fun but I'm not sure I could play at that level since I like raiding and getting the better loots (just so you can do it all over again with the next level increase).

And yes, Brad did ensnare me once but I really didn't like some aspects of his "vision" which I am sure will be alive and well in Pantheon. Camping something for hours and hoping someone doesn't KS you when it pops? Not what I consider fun.

Again, not saying I think it will be bad. I hope it is good and it finds an audience.

--
Gaklek
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gaklek »

I don't really have the time either, now-or even dedicated time. I have although, accepted a job starting early next year that provides me with both. KSing our guild would not happen, our experience would triumph over assclowns. I would like to start a guild that holds members only accountable to what they can contribute, based not only by skill, but also by time served. So part timers are welcome, etc. Skill= Passion and never the two shall meet lol
In fact, I'd like to name the guild Veeshan, and welcome all past members of the server with open arms, until they prove unworthy(looking at Cart here).

Let's see what Alpha presents, but I can't think of better members than those of Veeshan.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's a tall order to get anywhere near the same time from old Veeshan players. A lot of life happens in 16-19 years (EQ Beta started in 1999!)

My father had around 3,600 hours flight time, mostly in the F-4 Phantom Fighter and quite a few more in other planes. I remember when I passed that mark in EQ hours played and thought, hmmm not quite the same level of accomplishment! If I remember correctly, I spent an average of 7-8 hours a day for three or four years in EQ, I never set up shop overnight in the Bazaar so those are legit, not AFK hours.

It had a huge impact on my social and work life, although I managed both of those at the same time.

While I remember fondly the strategy, planning and time that went into EQ raids, I'm more into shorter things these days like Overwatch matches that take about 15 minutes or other strategy games that don't have lengthy raids. I was more of a chatter back there so I think the guildchat/drama and /tell chats kept me entertained!

I haven't read up much on Pantheon but if their plan is to design the game similar to EverQuest, it may be difficult to find and keep players long enough to coordinate raids on the scale of Veeshan Temple, Planes of Power, etc. How long did Veeshan Temple start to finish take? like 4 hours (after we mastered it)? The problem was getting people to the raid since it was so hard for people to get to the raid after it started (repops!)

I admire your goal to gather up some Veeshan veterans Gak. I think the biggest obstacle will be getting a group of people that can dedicate a sizable chunk of time for planned raids. Most players from the early EQ days are probably at least in their 40's or older. In another 15+ years and can have a senior retirement guild!

Is there a FAQ for Pantheon with some raid details etc? How old school are they going?
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

Time is my biggest concern as well with a 2 year old and a 4 month old. I pretty much go to sleep 15 minutes after they do which doesn’t leave much time for gaming. I’ll definitely give it a try but there is zero chance I will be anywhere near the player I was. I mostly play mobile app games these days that I can easily put down and don’t require much attention.
Gaklek
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gaklek »

I'm not in alpha yet, but in a few months I will be. If what we end up with is part time leadership, with people like Winnow, Thess, Funk, (even you Aslanna lol) etc... we'll have a jump on everyone else. Doesn't need to be 24 /7.. We have all we need to succeed. I have made friends in other games over the years, as I am sure you have all done. I have people interested, do you? I had a buddy from another game set up a discord. Send me a message if interested. I think whoever played on Veeshan with us deserves a shot. It's not gonna take a Veeshan tribe mind
to solve the game, but we have one. Veeshan was the best server of a game that still exists(although we got merged). We are the best of that server. And that server was the best. Period.

Except for Cartalas

P.S.
Especially Cartalas and Leyor