Support, Discussion, Reviews
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Samsung Edge product question

Post by Boogahz »

Has anyone used any of the Samsung Edges? I toyed with the idea of getting the S6 Edge, but went with the S6 instead. I just haven't been able to see enough about how the Edge "screens" are utilized, and how they can be used in cases designed for the Edge phones. Now with the S7 coming out, I am tempted to go with the S7 Edge, but the same nagging questions are bouncing around my head. :?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Samsung Edge product question

Post by Winnow »

If you plan to get the free Gear VT, I'd go with the standard S7:
Samsung’s Virtual Reality headset, the Gear VR, is more suitable for the Samsung Galaxy S7 than the S7 Edge. Oculus Technology Chief John Carmack said this on Twitter.
S7 Edge may cause “light leaking”

Carmack is responsible for the co-operation of Oculus with Samsung to develop the Gear VR. He answered some questions on Twitter after the announcement of Samsung’s Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. According to Carmack, VR headsets can not use all the pixels from the edge of the screen due to the curved sides. The curved sides also cause the possibility of light shining into the VR headset. This ” light leakage ” can be disturbing for people who use a Gear VR and in the worst case, may even cause cataracts.
The cataract comment sounds like bullshit, but other than that, edge seems gimmicky anyway. I like having my case wrapped around the side of my phone as well.

If you're pre ordering an S7 you will be getting a GearVR free so may as well make the best use of it.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

It's super gimmicky. I have an S6 Edge and never really use the edge stuff. If I upgraded so S7 I'd stick with the normal version.

Edge looks cool, but that's about it for me.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Went with the S7. Delivered to my Apartment Office today. I just couldn't see enough "cool" to justify the extra $100 on the Edge either.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Given that the edge would probably fuck with sound case design, I'd stay away from it personally. I've been carrying an S6 supplied by my work for the last year now and it's pretty fantastic. This is probably the longest I've had a phone by my "Daily Driver" in years.

I'm using Microsoft's Arrow Launcher as my default. It does some really nice stuff. Also using Outlook as my mail client. Using Google's Keyboard for text entry as that one is what I like in a mobile keyboard. No need for OEM bells and whistles.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I had the S6 for a while, and I am liking the S7 so far. Battery life improvements are major compared to what I was getting on the S6, and the "rounded" designs on the edges of the S7 make the phone feel more "smooth" while using it. I am not sure if I was doing something wrong, or if it was the phone, but I had issues connecting to some of my Bluetooth devices with the S7. The easiest item was actually my Sony SRSX7 since I was able to use NFC to connect. It really didn't want to connect to my Beats. Getting the MicroSD slot back in the S7 was a definite bonus.

I watched a guy in the T-Mobile store the other night while he used his S6 Edge, and there were rarely things that he used that additional screen-space for. Watching him use it really helped steer me away from the Edge model.