Uncharted 4 (PS4, PS4)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Uncharted 4 (PS4, PS4)

Post by Aslanna »

Story trailer! Minus some questionable artwork.

The hype is real!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Uncharted 4 (PS4, PS4)

Post by Winnow »

Looks pretty good. Coming from just playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, the face and character animations don't compare favorably. I think Rise of the Tomb Raider is in a league of it's own when it comes to that and story.

As for the general graphics, I'm sure playing Tomb on the PC is why they look better. Too bad Uncharted won't be available on the PC. That wouldn't help the animations but everything else would look amazing.

Any game that's playable on PC really should be played on PC.

Compare this to what you saw in the Uncharted Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZCQO6MYcnQ

It's early tutorial time (demonstrating traps etc) but demonstrates actual game play, animations, sound effects, etc.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://gamingbolt.com/uncharted-4-story ... ave-missed
A couple of days ago, Naughty Dog released the story trailer of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and quite honestly, it will not be an overstatement to say that it’s one of the most gorgeous pre-release footage of any video game we have seen in recent years. Phenomenal image quality and pushing the hardware to its limit is something we expect from Naughty Dog but this trailer has proven that Nathan Drake’s last adventure will truly be a step above from their previous work.
Of ANY video game!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It wasn't even better than the TR video I linked. Hype is right!

Never heard of Gamingbolt. Looks like a home made website!
GamingBolt is all about the latest in video games. We are a site that is built by gamers, for gamers
yikes!

I think I recognize a few of their team members:

Rashid Sayed, Editor in Chief
Ravi Sinha, Senior Editor
Pramath Parijat, UK Editor

Contributors

Zahida Sayed
Vijay Sinha

Looks like Rashid and Ravi are keeping it in the family with their contributors!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

/In before Winnow has a conniption fit:
As you know, Naughty Dog is wrapping up production on Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End with the game on track to go gold and into production later this month. In an effort to meet the considerable worldwide demand, and to ensure that all gamers worldwide have the opportunity to play the game on day one, we have chosen to postpone the launch of the game by two weeks to allow for extra manufacturing time.

Therefore, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End has a new worldwide release date of May 10, 2016.
Sounds like they are unable to press enough discs to meet the preorder demand! Not a bad problem to have.

Personally I'm ok with this. Ratchet & Clank is scheduled for release 26-Apr so having an Uncharted 4 launch the same date was just bad news for Insomniac.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony exclusive releases are comparable to giving a release date of infinity . 1 year out = 2 month delay. 6 months out = 1 another month, 3 month = 2 more weeks, 1 month add a week, 2 weeks, another couple days, 1 week 12 hours, 1 day = 4 hours, 1 hour = 10 minutes!

Probably some Arkham City level bugs they're still trying to squash!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You may need to decipher that into English.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I read his post in character as Trump. It fits.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Reviews are out.. 94 average. The hype is real!

Game of the Year!
Games don't get any better than this. An absolute masterpiece from Naughty Dog and a great conclusion to a great franchise.
No better! They're talking to you, Rise of The Tomb Raider.

BTW what bugs did Arkham City have?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

There is still time for more delays!

If it is better than Rise of Tomb Raider that will be impressive. Story/Graphics/Game Play were all excellent with RoT.

What I noticed wasn't up to par with RoT in latest Uncharted trailers was the character animations, especially the facial expressions etc. which is important these days with the level of graphics and emotional storylines taking place.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Got my preorder in for release date delivery. Now to avoid the Internet for the next 5 days so the story isn't spoiled.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Played the first couple of hours last night; it's definitely on par with Tomb Raider, if not ahead of it in every aspect so far - it's a really good looking game.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm stoked as well for uncharted 4. I won't get around to it for a few months, so I somehow have to avoid the story spoilers for 3 months!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Good luck on the spoilers! I'll make sure to use tags here if I say anything, but if you're on social media at all - 3 months will be tough. I've actually stopped liking/following shows/game pages because I got sick of shit getting spoiled.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, I'll be fine. I don't tag/like/etc that kind of stuff, so I'm thinking as long as I scramble to click the X when I see the word "uncharted" I'll be fine.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

This post is my whiney, and mostly minor, nitpicks so far:

At least in the chapters I've played, and I think I'm up to 10, I am really not liking the more 'open' level design. Multiple times I had no idea where to go and some places I thought were handholds really weren't and I died. Especially annoying in some of the stealth areas where you're trying to sneak through but don't have a clear idea as to your destination so of course you get spotted. I've given up on stealth for the most part and just start blasting away.

The cemetery/cathedral chapters were too long and they really enjoyed making you do that butt-sliding mechanic every chance they could get. While not terrible it gets old after awhile with even the characters commenting on it on more than one occasion.

Also not clear how the carts in the catacomb areas under the cathedral, where apparently nobody has been for a couple hundred years, have carts with wheels on them. And I don't mean normal round wheels I mean the smaller office-chair caster sort. These were obviously only added for the few minor environmental puzzles down there of how to get to a certain place so I'm sure a better alternative could have been found.

I wish there was a run button because most of the time Drake is as slow as a turtle. Maybe there is one I'll have to check. I do not think there is though.

While not a fault of the game per-se I've lost patience for the sort of puzzles Uncharted (all games in the series) has so I just look them up on Youtube.

In some areas I have to boost up Sam and then find a way up because it's too far for him to help me. Yet 2 minutes later he pulls out his grappling hook thingie and uses it. Uh... WHY NOT JUST DROP AN END DOWN FROM THE ROPE AND PULL ME UP?!

Speedrun trophy: Kill me now.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Curious how you'll compare it to Rise of Tomb Raider if you ever get around to playing that.

Original Tomb Raider had some annoyances (similar to butt sliding) but RoT fixed them so there were very few issues, none that I can even remember.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:This post is my whiney, and mostly minor, nitpicks so far:

At least in the chapters I've played, and I think I'm up to 10, I am really not liking the more 'open' level design. Multiple times I had no idea where to go and some places I thought were handholds really weren't and I died. Especially annoying in some of the stealth areas where you're trying to sneak through but don't have a clear idea as to your destination so of course you get spotted. I've given up on stealth for the most part and just start blasting away.

The cemetery/cathedral chapters were too long and they really enjoyed making you do that butt-sliding mechanic every chance they could get. While not terrible it gets old after awhile with even the characters commenting on it on more than one occasion.

Also not clear how the carts in the catacomb areas under the cathedral, where apparently nobody has been for a couple hundred years, have carts with wheels on them. And I don't mean normal round wheels I mean the smaller office-chair caster sort. These were obviously only added for the few minor environmental puzzles down there of how to get to a certain place so I'm sure a better alternative could have been found.

I wish there was a run button because most of the time Drake is as slow as a turtle. Maybe there is one I'll have to check. I do not think there is though.

While not a fault of the game per-se I've lost patience for the sort of puzzles Uncharted (all games in the series) has so I just look them up on Youtube.

In some areas I have to boost up Sam and then find a way up because it's too far for him to help me. Yet 2 minutes later he pulls out his grappling hook thingie and uses it. Uh... WHY NOT JUST DROP AN END DOWN FROM THE ROPE AND PULL ME UP?!

Speedrun trophy: Kill me now.

The only one that really bothers me also is the lack of run - I'm always wanting him to move faster, but patience is also not a strength of mine. I was also disappointed to see the speedrun trophy, I really want to get the platinum, so I'm hoping that doesn't get in my way (I also thought similarly about the "finish the game with x% accuracy" trophy". Overall a great game so far, I'm still early on yet - at the cathedral graveyard area.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote: I was also disappointed to see the speedrun trophy, I really want to get the platinum, so I'm hoping that doesn't get in my way (I also thought similarly about the "finish the game with x% accuracy" trophy".
Speedrun trophy.. Done!

Apparently (it's true!) you can glitch it and finish it in ~5 minutes assuming you've completed the game at least once already. I loathe speedrun trophies so I don't feel bad about using this. They might patch it eventually so I wouldn't wait too long on it.

You can use a variation on this to get the 70% accuracy trophy as well but I haven't tried that one yet.

Time for Crushing, I guess. Yay.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Cool, thanks. I haven't finished yet but I suppose I'll make a push so I can do that.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You should probably make a backup of your original save (or send to online storage) if doing the glitch thing because it seems somehow my save got a bit wonky and it's saying I have less treasures than I actually have. And it lets me pick up the same ones everytime I load an area I've been to before. That's not supposed to happen! Not a big deal because once I finish Crushing I'll just delete all my saves and do a leisurely jaunt through it on Explorer mode to do all the collection stuff and clean up any outstanding trophies.

I am half way done with Crushing. So far it's not too bad, other than enemies that detect you in like 1 second which is lame, as apparently you can use the cheats so I have unlimited ammo and slo-mo mode. I am dreading a couple upcoming battles though. One in particular as there's really no decent hiding spots. I hope reports of being able to get it via chapter select are accurate as that's how I've been progressing. It's a good game and all but I really don't want to play through it four times.

Overall while I liked the game I did have an issue with some of the mechanics*. And some of the chapters were really longer than they needed to be. I didn't find the Jeep driving to be especially fun.

I can't give this a 10 but I'd feel confident with giving it a 9/10 maybe even a 9.5 after having more time to ponder on it. It probably is the best exclusive of this console generation for either platform up to this point. Obviously I don't have an XBO so my opinion is biased!

[Show]
I mean really.. How many exploding mummies does a level need? We get the idea already!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Beat it and got the speed run and accuracy trophies last night. I might do the crushing run next too, all the other misc. trophies are going to take a fair bit of effort! It's definitely up there for me too, the story/storytelling was done really well - I like how they kind of pulled everything together from the whole series with a few references but didn't shove the throwbacks down your throat. And of course, the graphics are great; I'm not sure it would be my favorite exclusive (it would have to beat Bloodborne and I'm not sure if it does or not) - but I definitely like it more than Tomb Raider - which is saying a bit, because I really liked that game, too.

And yes,
[Show]
fuck those mummies!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I easily made it through one of the fights I was dreading. The one at Avery's house. I maybe died two or three times. Now I am stuck in the caves on the part in my initial spoiler tag. So lame that I'm dying so much on a section that doesn't even involve actual enemies.

Slow motion + Barok .44 = Winning combo.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Crushing, done! Probably the easiest of the four games due to being able to use the cheats and such. The part I was stuck on previously was pretty annoying.. And also the last fight gave me some trouble but turning on slow motion mode helps.

Probably going to take a few days off from Uncharted before going back for the collectibles.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

When you guys are done, I'll buy your copy from you for $20 :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Crushing, done! Probably the easiest of the four games due to being able to use the cheats and such. The part I was stuck on previously was pretty annoying.. And also the last fight gave me some trouble but turning on slow motion mode helps.

Probably going to take a few days off from Uncharted before going back for the collectibles.
Nice! There are definitely a few parts I'm not looking forward to - but I just started to do crushing last night so I've got a ways to go.

Kluden wrote:When you guys are done, I'll buy your copy from you for $20 :)
I only buy digital!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

...son of a...

Yeah, just threw it out there, as it will be GOTY edition by the time I buy it anyways.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I bought the collectors edition. Not selling it for $20!

Digital is for suckers!

I'd be surprised if there will be a GOTY edition as aren't the maps going to be free? I don't see them doing any additional story content for it but who knows. Regardless, if there is one I doubt it will be this year unless something around the holidays.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:I bought the collectors edition. Not selling it for $20!

Digital is for suckers!

I'd be surprised if there will be a GOTY edition as aren't the maps going to be free? I don't see them doing any additional story content for it but who knows. Regardless, if there is one I doubt it will be this year unless something around the holidays.
I bought the digital collectors edition - it said that it came with 3 expansions I think, one story expansion, and two multiplayer.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:I bought the digital collectors edition - it said that it came with 3 expansions I think, one story expansion, and two multiplayer.
As far as the "expansions" go it's actually MP Pack 1 and 2 which aren't maps they are just guns and hats and stuff. There is also the "first-ever single player story add-on for the Uncharted series" so that's actually something. Either way I don't foresee a GOTY edition in the near future.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The collectibles in this are annoying. Treasures are fine and maybe even the journal entries.. Except for where you can miss some by triggering some things before you get the journal entry. But the optional conversations are lame. Who would have thought that completing Crushing would be the 'easy' part of this platinum? I didn't!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I had a feeling they would be a pain. I only have like a third of the treasures after 1.5 times through the game, and I figured the optional conversations would be a pain.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:/In before Winnow has a conniption fit:
As you know, Naughty Dog is wrapping up production on Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End with the game on track to go gold and into production later this month. In an effort to meet the considerable worldwide demand, and to ensure that all gamers worldwide have the opportunity to play the game on day one, we have chosen to postpone the launch of the game by two weeks to allow for extra manufacturing time.

Therefore, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End has a new worldwide release date of May 10, 2016.
Sounds like they are unable to press enough discs to meet the preorder demand! Not a bad problem to have.
Update!
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End is off to a great start commercially as well as critically: Worldwide sales during the game's first week of release topped 2.7 million copies, publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment announced today.

That figure represents sell-through data — copies sold to consumers — for both retail discs and digital copies from May 10-16. Sony did not break out the sales numbers by region, but said that in North America, Uncharted 4 is now the fastest-selling first-party PlayStation 4 game ever.

It looks like Sony made the right call in delaying Uncharted 4 by an additional two weeks from April 26 to May 10. In making the announcement in March, the company said it needed the extra time to manufacture more copies of the game "to meet the considerable worldwide demand."

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I went out and bought it this weekend since I had a couple days to game. Its a ton of fun, a lot more fluid controls than the previous ones, so that was really nice upgrade. The graphics are great, just wish it was 60fps.

I'm not done yet, but I'm close. Like chapter 18 or so. Love the story, love the flashbacks, and love the cut scenes. These games would make great movie scripts. I'm always amazed that hollywood can't call up some of these game writers, some of them do an amazing job. Not all. but the uncharted writers are top notch.

Also, crash bandicoot.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I haven't been in the mood for playing anything the past week so I only knocked out 1-2 trophies in Uncharted 4. The cairn one was annoying as when you do chapter select it doesn't count the ones you already had. At least it didn't for me. So 15/16 turned into 0/16. And there's one place where it's a point of no return so if you missed one prior to that you'd have to replay the chapter over again.

I finished finding all the treasures and journal entries... It's mostly just the optional conversations to go which is probably what's sapped my enthusiasm for getting the platinum. That and the Crash trophy. That made me rage quit recently. Fuck those stupid fences. And it's always the last one! I think I only managed to complete it once and I was like 1000 points short of the goal. I wish you could use the stick instead of just the D-pad.

I also have all of the multiplayer trophies to get but that doesn't sound too difficult.

I liked the game but not a fan of some of these trophies. Sure, Crushing was easier than the previous 3 games but I don't remember any of those games having many, if any, tedious trophies. Uncharted 4 is riddled with them!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I've also not been in the mood to play anything so this has been neglected; I think I'm at about the half way point on crushing. Yeah, it sounds like a lot of the trophies are miserable, and the Crash one in particular was one I was expecting to be miserable. I hear that it's helpful to use the slo-mo option for this, but still tough. I tried it a handful of times on my first play through and was in about the same spot as you - I only actually finished one time and I was not high enough (more so than you, even, iirc) score wise.

It's hard to say for sure if I'll end up getting the platinum on this - I don't think there are any new games I want coming out for another month or so yet, so working on plat for this and Dark Souls 3 is all I really plan to do between now and then. That being said, if I only end up making time to platinum one game between now and then, I think Dark Souls 3 will be my choice.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:the Crash one in particular was one I was expecting to be miserable. I hear that it's helpful to use the slo-mo option for this, but still tough. I tried it a handful of times on my first play through and was in about the same spot as you - I only actually finished one time and I was not high enough (more so than you, even, iirc) score wise.
It wasn't as bad as I initially thought and yes slo-mo mode does help a lot and it took me about 5 tries. On try #4 I was 12 points short :( The main annoyance with this (for me) was that you have to use the d-pad and not the stick and that sucks for moving diagonally. I am not sure how people managed to play like that back in the day!
Funkmasterr wrote:It's hard to say for sure if I'll end up getting the platinum on this - I don't think there are any new games I want coming out for another month or so yet, so working on plat for this and Dark Souls 3 is all I really plan to do between now and then. That being said, if I only end up making time to platinum one game between now and then, I think Dark Souls 3 will be my choice.
I ended up taking almost a year off before going back to get the platinum! At least for the conversations you can see how many you have in each chapter. Unfortunately it doesn't let you know which ones you are missing so basically you need to replay the chapter again while following a guide. I needed to replay about 6 or 7 chapters to get that trophy.

The multiplayer trophies weren't bad although I had trouble with one of the trials but can't remember offhand which one it was. I think it was the artifact (?) one where you can teleport to team members. I kept failing as I didn't finish with enough points.

Overall I think this game may have had the worst, as in way of grindy, trophies of all the Uncharted games. And a speedrun trophy? Come on, guys!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Congrats on cleaning that up! Yeah, I dislike speedrun trophies, it's what made me write off any attempt at trying for the platinum for The Last Guardian.