Tales from the Borderlands

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Tales from the Borderlands

Post by Aslanna »

While I didn't particularly care for Walking Dead I think this series is pretty good. I picked it up for $5 on PS4 a few weeks ago and finally got around to playing it after finishing Walking Dead. I recommend it if you like the Telltale 'formula' and Borderlands. I was skeptical when this was announced that it was anything other than a cash grab but I think they did a good job on it. The only major problem I had was with one of the characters from the original games and how their story ended up. I don't know how well the sales were but hopefully it was enough to get this series another 5 episodes.

Each of the episodes has opening credits along with a song about 15 minutes in. I think the one from Episode 4 is my favorite. (If you click that don't read any of the comments as there is a major spoiler in them)

I don't normally link Polygon articles because Polygon sucks, especially the opinion pieces, but I agree with this one. Give it a try! It's on sale on Steam at the moment for $8.50.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Tales from the Borderlands

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I have it on ios. That is my preferred method of playing Telltale games. I have yet to play this though. A lot of people have great opinions on the game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's installed on my PC but haven't played it yet. Not sure though. I actually liked Walking Dead from Telltale. At the time it was GOTY for its introduction of a new approach to storytelling games.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

TftB is much better than Walking Dead. For one thing it doesn't have a crappy ending tacked on like WD did. zomg The Stranger with the magical walkie talkie knowing my every move whether I am in Macon or Savannah!

Seriously Walking Dead was not my game of any year. Simply terrible and just going off of shock value involving lopping off limbs. The only reason I bothered to finish it was that it was an easy platinum trophy.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Telltale Walking Dead Season One was GOTY
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well then I guess that depends on who you ask... Sure a few crappy sites like Polygon named it their best but I didn't vote for it! Of course I'm sure you'll point to Metacritic but there's a lot more to a game than a simple score:
Metacritic wrote:We also expect some grumbling about our Game of the Year award, given annually to the year's overall highest-scoring (i.e., best-reviewed) game for any platform. This year's honoree, Telltale's The Walking Dead 95 (Xbox 360), is a terrific adaptation of Robert Kirkman's comic books. But it is also a retail repackaging (with a mere 9 reviews, at press time) of a game that was previously released online in five episodic installments throughout the year—installments which, though well-reviewed, never achieved an individual score north of 89.
9 reviews! 89! Further proof that Metacritic sucks.

WD is a terrible game and I wish I could scrub the experience of having played it from my memory banks.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
WD is a terrible game and I wish I could scrub the experience of having played it from my memory banks.
Kind of like Destiny then.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I guess that would be the least bit relevant if Telltale was the developer of Destiny.

And even then you'd be wrong.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

On sale again on PSN for $7.50. $6.75 if you're a PS+ person. Cheap!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tried it. Didn't get very far but it wasn't as compelling as WD Tales, at least in the beginning if the story.

It did kind of make me want to play the original Borderlands games though. I haven't heard anything about a Borderlands 3 yet.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I thought it was hilarious. I laughed quite a bit. Great game.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I grabbed this and axiom verge from the sale, been meaning to get them both during a sale for a while.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Tried it. Didn't get very far but it wasn't as compelling as WD Tales, at least in the beginning if the story.
Episode 1 is the weakest of the bunch. It gets better. Unlike The Walking Dead!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Free on PS+ next week for you cheap bastards who couldn't spring for it when it was $5!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Bought it, played maybe the first chapter and haven't been back to it, and now it's on PS+. Has to be a half a dozen times that's happened to me now - you'd think I would learn my lesson by now. I do plan on going back and finishing this at some point though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I didn't get past the first 10 or so minutes. Going to stick to the standard Borderlands games.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Thank you for that valuable insight.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Thank you for that valuable insight.
Offering my opinion that it's not necessarily that good. Something wrong with that or is it positive opinions only? Walking Dead telltale game was better IMO.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Offering my opinion that it's not necessarily that good. Something wrong with that or is it positive opinions only? Walking Dead telltale game was better IMO.
You simply didn't want to like this from the beginning because you think TWD is the best Telltale game ever. Which it isn't.

If you like Borderlands, and have gone into it with an open mind, I think you would have liked it.

Sucks that Telltale bit the dust though. Hopefully Gearbox can put out a sequel to this.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I didn't see the need for it. Borderlands is more action/loot driven fun. Walking Dead is more story driven, better suited for a Tales type game. When playing a Tales type game, I'm more in the mood for a thinking/story game instead of a funny game. I'm sure the BL Tales was good in its own right depending on what you were looking for and some laughs.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well it's canon so.. Can't be a Borderlands fan and not play it. Are you a fake fan? It sure sounds like it!

--