Future of SSD

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Future of SSD

Post by Winnow »

So recently Samsung announced a 16 TB SSD that fits in a 2.5 inch drive enclosure.

And now we have this:
Intel’s Optane SSD is 7x faster than today’s solid state drives

Today’s solid states drives are already quite fast, but tomorrow’s will be even faster. More than seven times faster in the case of Intel’s new Optane SSDs.

Intel gave the public its first look at Optane yesterday at IDF 2015. Like Samsung’s mammoth 16TB SSD, Optane drives owe part of their performance boost by going three-dimensional. Intel refers to their take as 3D XPoint (cross-point) technology, and it was developed in conjunction with the memory experts at Micron.

Their goal was to develop something that was inexpensive and non-volatile like NAND that also boasted performance that was more on par with DRAM. 3D XPoint comes impressively close: it’s capable of speeds about 1,000 times faster than today’s NAND.

They also reduced latency. In fact, they nearly eliminated it. Intel says the latency of 3D XPoint drives can be measured in nanoseconds — as opposed to milliseconds like today’s SSDs. So not only can Intel’s new SSDs transfer information at a blistering pace, they can locate it in a flash, too.

3D XPoint doesn’t just boost speed: it increases storage density, too. Its stacked design keeps things compact, and the memory doesn’t need to make room for transistors — which DRAM uses to perform reads and writes. Instead, 3D XPoint can read from or write to individual memory cells by simply altering voltages.

How much more storage does that let Intel and Micron cram into the same area? About ten times as much. Theoretically, then, Intel should be able to turn out a drive very soon that packs even more storage than Samsung’s new 16TB behemoth.

And just for good measure, Intel and Micron made 3D XPoint more durable. They say a drive’s lifespan “is not significantly impacted” by the number of writes it performs. That should mean these drives will last like a hard drive while outperforming SSDs and selling for a better price.

Sounds great, right? Now we just have to wait for them to show up on store shelves.
We are very close to having a blazingly fast 16 TB SSD for relatively cheap.

I've been hanging on to my current 9-10 TBs, squeezing everything I can onto them, trying to hold off on buying another round of HDs. My next purchase will be monster huge/fast SSD drives usuable for both boot and storage.

Not just larger capacity:

-seek time measured in nanoseconds instead of milliseconds (will locate as well as transfer data super fast)
-lifespan not impacted by number of writes
-1000x's faster than NAND (closer to the speed of DRAM in your graphics cards but non-volatile so you don't lose it on power outtage)

It will be like having 16TB of ram in your PC.

My data is ready for this! I'd go $2K first adopter on this but would like it to hit the $1K range fast so I can mirror 2x16TB for $2K. It would blow ass to lose 16TB of data. That should last me until they drop even more. I detest spinning drives.

here's the scoop: (explains the tech clearly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=48&v=Wgk4U4qVpNY

3D Xpoint FTW
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Future of SSD

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:We are very close to having a blazingly fast 16 TB SSD for relatively cheap.
Not sure I'd say "relatively cheap" anytime soon. The Samsung ones are aimed at the enterprise and there have been no prices announced although estimates say those will be around $5,000 so you might want to save your pennies.
Samsung did not yet announce how much these 16 TB PM1633a hard drives would cost; however, it did say that the drive would be aimed at the enterprise rather than the consumer. Some estimate the drive could cost $5,000.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

The fact that he's willing to spend two thousand dollars on hard drives to store his pirated shit is fucking golden.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:We are very close to having a blazingly fast 16 TB SSD for relatively cheap.
Not sure I'd say "relatively cheap" anytime soon. The Samsung ones are aimed at the enterprise and there have been no prices announced although estimates say those will be around $5,000 so you might want to save your pennies.
Samsung did not yet announce how much these 16 TB PM1633a hard drives would cost; however, it did say that the drive would be aimed at the enterprise rather than the consumer. Some estimate the drive could cost $5,000.
That's Samsung, not Intel (which has the speedy tech and says it's coming soon) I'd guess Samsung's 16 TB drives will drop like a rock in price when Intel's tech arrives.

I'm sure they will be rather expensive since mega corps with huge cloud storage services will want and pay for them first. $200 per TB or $3,200 would still be much cheaper than what is available to day. I'd like to see it get to $100/TB pretty quick. (at least the pokey Samsungs which would still work for quick storage)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:The fact that he's willing to spend two thousand dollars on hard drives to store his pirated shit is fucking golden.

Is 2K a lot? I made 1.5K in one trade on the stock market today in a quick day trade. Doesn't seem like it would take long to make enough $ to shore up your storage needs for years to come.

Added 3K more shares of MVIS to boot! If MVIS goes as planned, I might even have enough to buy a game on sale! Not to derail. That just happened to notable trade for catching the bottom as NWBO plummeted today. That's a "fuck yeah" trading moment, similar to you killing some powerful boss in Destiny.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:That's Samsung, not Intel (which has the speedy tech and says it's coming soon) I'd guess Samsung's 16 TB drives will drop like a rock in price when Intel's tech arrives.
I'm aware of who it is since it says it right in the quote. Regardless, mark that quote "drop like a rock in price" down for future reference. I don't see that happening anytime soon. A steady decrease over time (years) but I doubt it will be anything crazy.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:That's Samsung, not Intel (which has the speedy tech and says it's coming soon) I'd guess Samsung's 16 TB drives will drop like a rock in price when Intel's tech arrives.
I'm aware of who it is since it says it right in the quote. Regardless, mark that quote "drop like a rock in price" down for future reference. I don't see that happening anytime soon. A steady decrease over time (years) but I doubt it will be anything crazy.
The reason for the "drop like a rock" in price is it appears Intel's tech is so much better that if it's offered at anywhere near the same price as Samsung's SSD, who would buy the much slower, less reliable drive? Intel mentioned "inexpensive" several times in their video presentation.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"inexpensive" is a relative term. What is inexpensive for an enterprise solution may not be so for a consumer application. No use speculating at this time may as well wait until actual prices are announced.

--