LASIK

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

LASIK

Post by Winnow »

Just got it done 5 hours ago. A-fucking-mazing. Takes a day or two to fully kick in but I already see 20/20. Best 3K spent ever. Should have done it years ago.

Actual surgery super fast. 17 seconds to cut the cornea and create a flap, less than 5 seconds for the second laser to do it's thing then put the flap back down. Repeat for other eye, done.

Can use VR headsets with no glasses now.

Anyway, add me to the plus list for recommending LASIK. (at least 5 hours after so far)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: LASIK

Post by Aslanna »

Thought about it. But I don't want to be one of the 1% or whatever where it goes horribly wrong and then you end up not being able to drive at night or things such as that.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Worked well for my mom and her partner, but they both have to wear glasses to read anything like a book/menu/computer.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:Worked well for my mom and her partner, but they both have to wear glasses to read anything like a book/menu/computer.
Yeah, presbyopia's a bitch and happens to everyone eventually at some point over 40+ and gets worse from there.

With your near vision guaranteed to suck no matter what as you get older, I figured going for good far vision was the way to go and deal with reading glasses (which you'll need anyway no matter what until you're in your 70's and get your lens replaced due to cataracts which allows you implant near/far lenses in your eyes)

I had my follow up appointment today to check on yesterday's LASIK. My vision is now 20/15. I was thinking I'd squeak in with 20/20 after the surgery and ended up with better than 20/20.

I went to the theater and watched my first movie post LASIK. A single tear ran down my cheek. Not because people were dying in a war movie, but because how fucking clear the picture was that I was viewing. Driving home tonight I was able to see if I had any halos and didn't have any of those either.

My vision continued to improve gradually over the first 24 hours and should get slightly better over the next day or two. I was initially worried (4 hours after surgery) because I couldn't see jack shit on my iPhone and my 24" in monitor was blurry while everything beyond that distance was clear but today my smallest (closest to me) monitor is clear and I can read my iPhone so it was just a matter of the eyes recovering from being reshaped by lasers and cornea being cut open (which includes some pressure on the eye during the initial cuts). The only (very slight) discomfort was for maybe the first 4 hours with slight burning sensation in my eyes but I was sleeping for most of that and it's nothing remotely close to being unbearable. Eyes have felt perfectly normal since.

No glasses/contacts is so nice.
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

Watched my wife have this done in person.

I'll never be the same. Eye stuff freaks me out.

She loved it though!
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

You didn't like watching the smoke coming out of her eyes? *shiver*
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Neziroth wrote:Watched my wife have this done in person.

I'll never be the same. Eye stuff freaks me out.

She loved it though!
The procedure is painless. With the Valium I was given beforehand, it was kind of cool watching the lasers do their thing to my eyes. All you see are blurry bright lights. Go home. Sleep for 4-6 hours. Done. Only thing you need to do post surgery is not rub your eyes. They give you ski goggle looking thingies so you don't accidentally rub them while you sleep. I'd mention it's extremely important not to rub your eyes for a week or even month plus as your cornea heals.It would suck to displace the flap that was cut.

One note. You can tell your vision has improved immediately but your vision is nowhere near perfect yet (they were just traumatized and slight pressure placed on them). You feel slight discomfort (burning) for the first 4 hours (which is sleepy time anyway) and then when you wake up, you're vision is even better but still not perfect. Over the course of about a week they continue to improve. This is the same time frame that you put two types of eye drops on your eyes for anti inflammatory and healing purposes. When I say not perfect, the next day after surgery with my check up at the doctor, I was able to make out most of the letters on the 20/15 line. But when I woke up after 4 hours and went to my PC, I couldn't see jack shit on my 24" monitor while everything else farther away was clear. Over the next day or so, closer vision came back to the point where I just need normal reading glasses due to age related presbyopia (that everyone gets).

Keep in mind, during my pre LASIK exam, I was barely able to make out the 20/20 line even with correction so I'm not sure what magic they pulled to get me to 20/15. I was just hoping for 20/20.

As I nitpick over my vision fluctuating between 20/20 and 20/15, I've noticed how your vision changes throughout the day and with other factors. I put an eye chart up in my house and check it once in awhile. Last night I couldn't make out the 20/20 line clearly with my left eye. This morning is was crystal clear and I could go 20/15. The lesson is to not take one exam as default for how your vision is. You may have rubbed your eyes, dry eyes, even too much eye drops.

If you have poor vision, LASIK is so worth it. $3-4K for excellent vision? Hell yes. I got mine done by Barnet Dulaney Perkins Eye Center (Perkins was my surgeon). If you are interested, the major well known LASIK places give you a free exam so you can find out if you're a candidate. They also check your cornea. In my case, I can have 5 LASIK procedures due to the thickness of my corneas. No plans to have more but it's a good thing to know in case there was an adjustment that needed to be made. Any follow up surgery is free for a year. You can pay $700 more for lifetime free adjustments but I thought fuck that. By the time I'd need any more correction I'll be getting my age 70+ cataract surgery where they replace the entire lens. My father had that recently and had bifocal lenses placed in his eyes so he doesn't even need reading glasses anymore.