Skyforge

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Skyforge

Post by Winnow »

Closed Beta starts Wednesday. I picked up a founder's pack to get into it. Looks like fun

Here's decent video covering some reasons you might be interested in the game:

Top 10 Features In Skyforge

Sci-Fi/Fantasy mixed together

True God mode where you become a God and wreck stuff.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Skyforge

Post by Fairweather Pure »

After watching your video I don't think this game is bringing anything new or compelling to the MMO scene. Virtually everything in that video is already being done better in one game or another. It's free to play and that means likely pay to win, especially in PvP.

It will be dead in 6-8 months tops.

Blending scifi and fantasy is absolutley nothing new. Video games have been doing that for 30yrs now.

At least it looked good. We know that means nothing if the gameplay and end game are shit though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't see anywhere where I or the video said "new".

Thanks for your input. Since you still play WoW, I'm not sure you would recognize anything new. Games don't necessarily need to bring some amazing new feature to be good. They need to be put together well and MMORPGs require a ton of play and economic balancing. Some of you people are convinced every f2p game is pay to win. Not so although if you suck at the game, that probably makes a good excuse to leave it to make yourself feel better. War Thunder is free and is definitely not pay to win. You can go ahead and spend $5,000 to get all of the planes and max them and I'll still shoot you down on an account without spending a dime. The players that took the time to earn all of the planes are 1000x better pilots than those that paid for them without learning to fly.

f2p games are fine as long as store items are cosmetic or used to shorten the grind. WoW is now f2p. Better quit! (insert your excuses here) It boggles my mind how blind some people are. Look around. The MMO play model is f2p now. As always, it's the journey, not the destination. I enjoy leveling up with friends and seeing all the new content as I do so. Rushing to the end game to keep doing the highest instance over and over...not so much. But knock yourself out.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Items to shorten up the grind aren't okay. Casual players should stand zero chance against people putting the time in for PvP, and for pve there should be content that's always out of their reach. I get why companies don't make games like that, but I won't support ftp mmos.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow, you're so defensive about every little thing that you come off as a petulant child. I don't understand why I even bother engaging you in anything when the only way you seem to be able to communicate is like a self absorbed shut-in.

In all of my time on this forum, it's obvious that you seem to lack empathy and the capacity for anything remotley resembling love or emotion. Everyone else has seemed to mature and move forwards in life throughout their years here. Everyone except you. You're a sociopathic, narcissistic, caricature of a man. You live a lonely life and I honestly feel sorry for you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Items to shorten up the grind aren't okay. Casual players should stand zero chance against people putting the time in for PvP, and for pve there should be content that's always out of their reach. I get why companies don't make games like that, but I won't support ftp mmos.
You're not getting a better weapon, you're getting a the same weapon faster. But with good games, any PvP matches up equally equipped players so the only thing someone gets for getting their weapon faster is a beat down by experienced players that took the time to learn how to play. In War Thunder, for example, I can buy my way up to jets but I can only use that jet against other jets...I can't use it to slaughter a bunch of bi-planes. The jet players I match up against have spent thousands of hours getting there and would have a field day shooting me down and earning great experience on a fool that paid their way up. (win/win) EVE is another great example. You can pay $1K for a character than has years of tech leveling experience but you will get the absolute crap beat out of you by anyone that's actually played the game for 4 years. There are no shortcuts to being a skilled player.

Games need to make money. They earn it off of people like me who feel like paying for certain things and can afford it. As a kid without much money, I would have loved f2p games because I'd still be able to play and probably also had more time to play to earn my goals. f2p is a win win.

f2p is bad when you are able to buy an item that is better than anything you can get without paying. In war thunder, a premium plane earns you more experience/game currency. What that allows you do is suck more at the next level and be shot down more unless you take the time to learn how to play each vehicle. Typically, the "earnable through f2p" version of the premium plane is better after you max it's equipment so all the premium plane allows you to do is power through tier levels faster but there's no advantage in battle to an experienced player that didn't spend a dime.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Skill m might matter more in a flight game than it typically does. The other thing players with the time should have is a sense of accomplishment and that they have something people that haven't put in the time can't have.

I'm all for causal players being treated like an afterthought in mmos. A Realm Reborn is an ideal mmo, imo.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I am suggesting to not condemn a f2p game simply because it's f2p. If this, or any other new game turns out to be pay to win, then move on. It should be case by case.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Are YOU getting butthurt because someone crashed your thread? How poetic.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: WoW is now f2p.
WoW is decidedly NOT "f2p". You might want to like.. actually read that article.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Since when did Winnow read an article? He's too busy with his soylent enema to actually learn anything about what is going on outside of his VR headset.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
WoW is decidedly NOT "f2p". You might want to like.. actually read that article.

It's free to play for people that actually play the game as you can buy tokens with in-game currency and not pay a dime. If you suck or log on once a year and don't make enough gold, then you pay. Maybe this will get more people to quit when they realize they don't play the game enough and have to keep paying.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:

If you suck or log on once a year and don't make enough gold, then you pay. Maybe this will get more people to quit when they realize they don't play the game enough and have to keep paying.
So what you are saying is it's not f2p. I accept your apology.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
So what you are saying is it's not f2p. I accept your apology.

It is f2p if you are a veteran player. This board is made up of people that have played MMOs since the 90's. I doubt there are any newbs here. The game is free to play, meaning free from actually spending real money. If you want to consider game money as actual money or you're thinking of starting up a new WoW character, you have a point.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So.. not free to play. Glad we have established that.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

He only read a headline again. The Tokens are not in the game at this time.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:He only read a headline again. The Tokens are not in the game at this time.
Skyforge isn't in beta yet but (gasp!) I made a post about it. Amazing how that works.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, nothing stops you from showing what a clueless twit you are.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Whether the tokens are in or not doesn't even matter. Just because SOME people can pay for subscription time with gold does not make WoW Free To Play. Argue it if you want but you're WRONG. You have to buy the game and you have to pay for a monthly subscription. That's not "Free To Play".

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just a few more days before beta!