Time Travel

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Time Travel

Post by Winnow »

The biggest problem I have with any ideas on time travel is how the hell do you travel back to the exact same place? Everything is in motion. My first thought is that is you travel back in time you would appear somewhere out in space where the Earth was at that time. Any form of time travel would have to account for motion.

I don't see how you could calculate where the Earth was, for example, ten years ago. You can maybe calculate the rotation of the Earth around the Sun, but the Sun is moving around the Milky Way Galaxy, which is also part of a super cluster of galaxies that are in motion, and the known universe is in motion, but of course there could be multiple universes that are in motion. There is no central point to calculate where the Earth would be.

I'm wondering if we actually discovered a way to travel back in time, if it would reveal the center of the universe/multiverse if experiments of millisecond time travel were conducted and the change in location after time travel took place was recorded.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Time Travel

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow been hitting the peyote again.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Or perhaps it's simpler like H G Wells and gravity works during time travel..
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'll dub this the "far out" thread.

When you break it down to the absolute minimum, the existence of anything is impossible.

Molecule, atom, electrons, quarks, leptons...even smaller particles if they are discovered...it had to come from somewhere and that's impossible. On the religious side of things, "god" had to come from somewhere.

I'm prepared to cope with a lot. That possibility that our entire universe may be one of an infinite number of other universes the same as our galaxy is one of a bazillion other galaxies actually seems reasonable to me...size begins to lose all sense of meaning and it doesn't matter how big or small anything is. What ultimately matters is how it's possible for the smallest of particles to exist in the first place.

For all of the explanations and discovery, there comes a point that something had to be created out of nothing and there's no way to explain that, be it religious or science. It blows my mind.

No matter how far back you go, and it doesn't matter how we got to this point, there will always be the question as to what created whatever that starting point was. How in the fuck was the original mass that has resulted in all known things created?

Think about it. Whatever your answer to this is, and for the sake of this brain fry it really doesn't matter what you think about religion or science, you need to ask one more question as to how that came to be.