CES 2015 Jan 6-9

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

CES 2015 Jan 6-9

Post by Winnow »

CES is only a week away. It marks a return to interesting tech news after the long dry spell caused by the holiday season. Not much new gets announced while people are buying up stuff for presents.

Similar to the "bunch of crap" thread. Post links or notes about anything you find interesting coming out of CES this year. I'm not expecting many surprises this year. Mostly 4K TVs, etc.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: CES 2015 Jan 6-9

Post by Aslanna »

Does anyone really follow CES? Anyway, only thing so far I've heard about that may be of interest to me are the 34" gaming monitors.
A new 34-inch UltraWide desktop monitor designed with gamers in mind will be introduced by South Korean gadget company LG during next week's CES 2015 in Las Vegas, The Verge reports.

The big 21:9 display monitor integrates support for AMD's FreeSync which gets rid of screen tears that can rear their head when your monitor and graphics card are out of sync. LG is calling this one of its best displays yet, and is promising unrivaled color accuracy based on the UltraWide's IPS panel, the ability to output 99 percent of the sRGB color gamut and 178 degree viewing angles.
Stacking 4 of those together would be crazy.. And expensive more than likely.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I would still want 3 of them.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I would still want 3 of them.
I agree that if you mean you prefer multiple monitors instead of one extremely high res monitor. I'm used to having three (well four with my iMac) monitors. I run out of space even with all of those monitors. Until we get virtual monitors set up inside of VR, no matter how big my primary monitor is, I'd like having extra monitors around. My file manager, which is a quad window setup, takes up most of one of my monitors. I have no clue how anyone could deal with a single window file manager. (similar to someone using an internet browser without tabs, I use multiple internet browser windows with multiple tabs)

I'm interested in cheaper/smaller 4K monitors. Primarily because that's the sweet spot for Virtual Reality headsets where you stop seeing pixels. I really hope the rumors of a 5" 4K screen for the Samsung Note 6 is true for next year. With Samsung partnered with Oculus (GearVR), that's the display that would go into at least the second consumer release version of Oculus Rift. I Plan to replace my 46" PC monitors with either 46 or 50" 4K monitors when they hit a reasonable price point and graphics cards can drive them without multiple connections. (probably display port tech).

I follow CES with as much or more interest than I follow E3. As I mentioned before Nov-Dec are extremely dead for tech news and gaming news. CES is the big early year event that gets the tech companies going again with announcements. With a new PC build probably in the cards this year, learning of new technologies, interfaces, etc that will be out later this year helps in the planning.

Top three conventions for me (in order of when they occur)

CES (January)
E3 (May)
COMIC CON (July San Diego)

Feb, March and April are the most boring months of the year.