Apple Pay

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Apple Pay

Post by Winnow »

What a kick ass process from start to finish.

I set up Apple Pay a few minutes ago. Very easy, it scans your credits card and detects the number, you end exp and 3 digit pin on back of card , CC gets verified within a minute or less.

I approached a vending machine, put my phone near the payment thingy and it immediately recognized apple pay, I used touch ID to authorize the purchase and had my Snickers Bar. The longest part of the whole process was waiting for the Snickers to drop into to the retrieval bin.

Apple Pay is the real deal. Very fast and easy as well as the most secure payment method with the least personal information going to the merchant. (Touch ID rocks in general for all password stuff)

Snickers > Milky Way
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Apple Pay

Post by Kluden »

Winnow wrote:Snickers > Milky Way
You couldn't be more wrong. Apple pay/TapIt/etc...aren't they all the same amount of secure?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:
Winnow wrote:Snickers > Milky Way
You couldn't be more wrong. Apple pay/TapIt/etc...aren't they all the same amount of secure?
No, and Apple Pay is easier.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

well, at least you didn't say kit kat was greater or some silly shit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a quick overview of Apple Pay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQRFoUdPq-Q

Was amazingly fast to add a Credit Card and have it verified. Best thing about these things is that you don't have to cancel your credit cards if your phone gets stolen, no one ever sees your CC # or security code and you need touch ID to make the transaction so a stolen phone doesn't result in a spending spree by the crooks . Find My iPhone app can remotely shut down your iPhone after it's stolen but they can't see any info or pay with it anyway. I like how the merchant see's jack shit for your personal info as well. no CC# and security code. No need to stress over using your credit card on shady vending machines or at shady locations.

Great system. Google Wallet does a lot of the same but not as efficiently or as seemlessly. I guess it's a decent runner up (like most Android apps/etc compared to iOS) (see other article I posted as to why)

Really liking my iPhone 6+
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

i imagine its like all things stolen. You take someone else's idea, and make improvements to make it the default. at least that's what people attempt to do. So apple stole someone else's idea, and made it better. Perhaps it will wake google wallet up to adjusting and improving now as well. But who knows with google anymore, they are all over the place on direction nowadays. Great example, I think windows phone cortana and google now are both better than siri...but it should be....they came out after.

I don't know the history of apple pay, did they just buy some guy's company out that came up with it (stole it, whatever)?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:i imagine its like all things stolen. You take someone else's idea, and make improvements to make it the default. at least that's what people attempt to do. So apple stole someone else's idea, and made it better. Perhaps it will wake google wallet up to adjusting and improving now as well. But who knows with google anymore, they are all over the place on direction nowadays. Great example, I think windows phone cortana and google now are both better than siri...but it should be....they came out after.

I don't know the history of apple pay, did they just buy some guy's company out that came up with it (stole it, whatever)?
I looked briefly but don't see anything indicating they purchases the tech although all companies buy smaller companies including Google.

Good thing we have Apple to take basic ideas and make them great and usable. That's a nice compliment to Apple. Apple holds it's own on phone releases. Every iPhone release has been outstanding.

All of these best of class hardware accolades come combined with the drop dead easy SDK for developing apps on the best mobile OS out there. Google is for the masses that want the cheapest thing they can buy while Apple services those that have some money and spend lots of money using their best hardware/software combo device. The stats bear this out.

Samsung is having all sorts of issues and loss of phone sales. They spend assloads more than Apple in marketing and yet Apple prevails for very good reasons. Apple is the best combination of Hardware, Software and usability.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Lets not have the marketing debate. Every apple commercial airing cost is born by the service provider that is shown at the end. So that's not a fair comparison. You know the total is greater than anyone if you put it all in. I see apple commercials way more than anything else (well, maybe not that stupid vista prints commercial)...

But this isn't a phone debate. Just saying, they are all the same, steal, improve, claim its yours. Its nothing new. I'm just not fooled by companies. I imagine google or microsoft will be forcing apple to improve siri, which is a good thing, and apple pay will make google improve google wallet. Its the same reason I root for AMD to make a killer GPU to make nvidia do better, or a CPU to make intel do better. I'm glad apple is around. The competition is needed or shit is stagnant. Look at Cable providers...stagnant.

I welcome great apps like apple pay, if indeed it is that great.