Public Apology

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Public Apology

Post by Winnow »

I would like to apologize to my 4TB Seagate Hard Drive. I was blaming it for my system freezes and thought it was faulty simply because it's a Seagate drive but it turns out it was an old Hitachi 1TB Drive that was going bad.

It's going to be a bitch to get much off the old 1TB HD as it keeps rebooting every few seconds. I used it as a dump drive to save to before sorting out and routing files to mirrored drives. Got a little lazy and let it build up without sorting. Nothing that can't be easily replaced but time and effort is what was lost. Important files or hard to replace stuff is all mirrored.

FYI: All four 2TB Samsung drives I bought for my raid at $79 each (right before the Thailand Floods raised prices) are humming along smoothly as two sets of 2TB mirrored drives in my RAID tower. My PC and HDs on on 24/7 and have been since 2009. Can't wait to go all solid state drives though in the near future.

Good news is hard drive prices are reasonable again. Newegg has 4TB Western Digital Drives on sale for $129 right now so the flood shortage appears to be over. I'm still waiting for a little cheaper 1TB SSDs and then I'll start getting rid of my spinning drives. 500GB Samsung SSDS are $219 and 1TB $359. I'll start buying when 1TB SSD are close to $200. It wasn't too long ago when $219 for a 250GB Samsung was a good deal. I used to sell 9GB Barracuda hard drives for $2,000 each and of course, my original Mac Plus 40 MB drive cost me $500. Just need to pick your personal price sweet spot and then buy.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Public Apology

Post by Winnow »

I was able to get everything off of the faulty HD. Party on tech dudes!

Looking forward to having all SSD drives at some point. The Idle and Read difference in power consumption is huge considering I have my PC on 24/7.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I've had too many bad experiences with Seagate drives to ever buy one again, even at a deep discount. They completely lost my trust. Meanwhile, my Western Digital dives have never had a hiccup so that's what I will lean towards in the future.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I've had too many bad experiences with Seagate drives to ever buy one again, even at a deep discount. They completely lost my trust. Meanwhile, my Western Digital dives have never had a hiccup so that's what I will lean towards in the future.
I've had Western Digital HDs fail as well but Seagate in general is (has been) the worst for me. You have to keep an eye on recent developments with hard drives. The major players will buy out others which can result in crappier end products.(this happened with Hitachi which I think was bought by Seagate, I'd have to go back and look) WD sucked hard for awhile but turned things around. I really don't know what the current situation is although I did my research before buying the 4 Samsung HDs for my RAID years back and all four of those have been perfect. Even browsing through a hundred or so comments in Newegg helps. If you see repetitive comments about clicking noises, or anything else, don't ignore them. Then again, need to be aware of firmware updates that may have fixed early adopter issues as well. There's also a lot of "multiple factory" products. Biggest one for that was when I was buying DL DVD Verbatim DVDs to copy Xbox 360 games. If they were made in Singapore, they'd have 100% success rate, if made in India, 50% of them would fail. Same product code. LCD manufacturers do this a lot with LED LCD TVs as well. Samsung is one of them but not the only culprit. When it comes to electronics, you cant have brand loyalty across the board or unquestioning loyalty. I always buy Samsung TVs but that doesn't mean they can't put out crap (or ass-bad capacitors or panels) in some of their products.

The moral to the story is to study specific products instead of companies in general,and even then, specific details like where panels were manufactured, were products were made, even on same product codes.

My 4 TB Seagate drive was a spur of the moment purchase while on sale. I did briefly research the product and the basics were that it would fail within a few months or otherwise be solid for it's lifetime. I didn't (still haven't really) but anything worthwhile on it for the first 3 months. Just TV shows, etc. It's worked out though.