Windows 10

Post by Winnow »

Best Windows OS EVER!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Windows 10

Post by Aslanna »

Look at that UI. Looks simply terrible. I'll stick with Windows 7, thanks.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I installed it on my Surface Pro and am using it to post this now.

It's definitely a work in progress at the moment but it appears to work quite well so far. The Start Menu is back and is quite nice.

There's a lot of polish to be done and they recommend running it on traditional hardware for now as it's nowhere optimised for touch displays yet.

Tech Preview users will get frequent updates as soon as Microsoft makes changes and, like Xbox One, they're apparently listening to the user community quite attentively finally.

All in all, it appears to be a nice return to form.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Aslanna the redditor. Well, rarely have I never.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

No DirectX 11/12 unless you upgrade Windows from Win7!
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Hmm? Windows 7 does DirectX 11! Unless you mean future releases or something? Clarification needed!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for one year after the operating system's launch to existing users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1, the company announced today.
I guess they really want to get people to Windows 10 for some reason! Even for free I have no interest in moving from Windows 7. No reason to! Maybe if they got rid of that shitty Metro UI I'd consider it.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Will be funny when you end up paying $199 to eventually upgrade because you didn't when it was free unless you go linux or OSX.

Here's todays presention covering windows 10 and their VR stuff along with other announcements. The presenters are horrible compared to Apple's presenters but the products and services are looking great. Microsoft has been busy. Their strong R&D department is starting to produce.

http://news.microsoft.com/windows10story/
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Will be funny when you end up paying $199 to eventually upgrade because you didn't when it was free unless you go linux or OSX.
Not really. I have a MSDN subscription from work so regardless of this I wouldn't have to pay for Windows 10 anyway. I'll probably claim a few keys for possible future use, like I did with Windows 8, but I don't anticipate me actually installing it anytime soon if at all. The only thing that would make me upgrade is 'forced' upgrades like no more security updates being published for Windows 7. Which sadly probably isn't that far off.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I'm still fine with Windows 7. I haven't seen enough of 10 to know if I'll want to use it, but I doubt it.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I guess I'll pirate 7 so I can get a legal copy of 10 for free.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:Will be funny when you end up paying $199 to eventually upgrade because you didn't when it was free unless you go linux or OSX.
Not really. I have a MSDN subscription from work so regardless of this I wouldn't have to pay for Windows 10 anyway. I'll probably claim a few keys for possible future use, like I did with Windows 8, but I don't anticipate me actually installing it anytime soon if at all. The only thing that would make me upgrade is 'forced' upgrades like no more security updates being published for Windows 7. Which sadly probably isn't that far off.
So do you build your PC's or buy and downgrade to Win7?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:So do you build your PC's or buy and downgrade to Win7?
I put my own together. Although if I did buy a PC I'd more than likely reformat the drive and install Windows 7 as I have keys for Professional and Ultimate versions. Gotta have Remote Desktop!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So... I checked the Classic Shell site and saw that it supports Windows 10. Since I was bored I created a new VM and installed Windows 10 to see if I could make it look like my Windows 7 installation, which funnily enough looks a lot like XP, and the results weren't too bad.

Not happy with the color scheme but MS removed 'Windows Classic' as a possible choice. Actually 'Window Color and Appearance' is pretty scaled back from Windows 7. I guess their thing is less choice is better.

It's nice to see Windows 10 continues the tradition of making Windows Explorer even worse with every new version. Good job Microsoft! Your ribbon bar sucks and nobody likes it. Yeah I know that was probably there with Windows 8 as well but I'm sure the Windows 10 Explorer didn't improve things any.

Other than that not going to spend a lot of time with it. My main purpose with this experiment was to see if I could make it look not as hideous and I was mostly successful in that endeavor. In the meantime I will stick with Windows 7 and only move on to 10 when Microsoft forces people to by stopping support for Windows 7. For me there's really no benefit to upgrading prior to that.

Classic Shell ftw! I can't use a modern (Win 7+) Windows PC without it. I'll have to throw the developer(s) a few bucks.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
It's nice to see Windows 10 continues the tradition of making Windows Explorer even worse with every new version. Good job Microsoft! Your ribbon bar sucks and nobody likes it. Yeah I know that was probably there with Windows 8 as well but I'm sure the Windows 10 Explorer didn't improve things any.
I haven't used windows explorer in ...10 years maybe?

Was using Opus but for the past few years have been using free, and frequently updated, (already Windows 10 compatible) Q-Dir:

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir

I use it in quad window mode. I'm baffled at how anyone can use a single window file manager, and even 2 windows. I struggle with even 4 but find the extra windows so much more useful.

Q-Dir is extremely customizable. You can make it as simple or complex as you want. It also has a portable version which is what I use that you don't even need to install.

You need to spend a little time customizing it to your liking but once you have, it's awesome and remains in that state. I use all four windows in detailed list form but you can use icon views, add directory tree on the side, etc. I added horizontal folder paths to all four windows to make it easy to navigate. Drag and drop capability, and drag select, which is key. The portable version even has shell integration.

Here are some nice new gestures for Windows 10 posted on gizmoto:

Useful with many more systems coming with touch screens these days.

From the article (which people upgrading always like to bitch (the people shitting their pants over Windows 8 was hilarious) overall likes it.
Again, I was impressed just much carried over from Windows 8.1 without issue. All my apps, all my settings, every icon on my desktop was exactly where I left it across all three monitors. Even my sticky notes were intact. It remembered the exact position of my three monitors—despite the fact that I keep two of them horizontal and one of them vertical (I read a lot of webpages and use Tweetdeck) and that they aren’t plugged into my graphics card in the right order!
Long story short, I’m impressed with Windows 10 so far, but I’ve still got some troubleshooting to do. Tomorrow, I’m taking this Windows 10 desktop to a LAN party. I’ll let you know how much trouble I wind up shooting there!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Made a full OS partition backup with Acronis last night. All set for Windows 10 later this week.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
I haven't used windows explorer in ...10 years maybe?
That's good. It doesn't change my point any!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Installed Win 10 and office 2016 on my work laptop today.

They are SO GOOD!!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I wouldn't go that far.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Enjoy your forced updates that break your system every other week.
Over the weekend, Gordon Kelly at Forbes posted an article about Microsoft's botched Windows 10 Nvidia driver patch. Advanced Nvidia customers are furious -- for good reason. Thanks to the magic of Windows 10 forced updates, the good, old Nvidia driver was replaced with a new Microsoft-approved version, and all hell broke loose.

Says Kelly:
The flaw revolves around Nvidia graphics cards with users taking to Nvidia's forums to report Windows Update is automatically installing new drivers which break multimonitor setups, SLI (dual card) configurations and can even stop PCs booting entirely which pushes Windows 10 into its emergency recovery mode.
Windows 10 sounds SO GOOD!!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Shouldn't be using SLI!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Or multimonitor setups? I guess you better unplug those other two monitors then!

Microsoft shouldn't be forcing updates on people! Especially shit like graphics drivers. Who ever even installs those from Window updates?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

"Interesting perspective, winnow."

-No one, ever
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Or multimonitor setups? I guess you better unplug those other two monitors then!

eh? from this same thread:
Again, I was impressed just much carried over from Windows 8.1 without issue. All my apps, all my settings, every icon on my desktop was exactly where I left it across all three monitors. Even my sticky notes were intact. It remembered the exact position of my three monitors—despite the fact that I keep two of them horizontal and one of them vertical (I read a lot of webpages and use Tweetdeck) and that they aren’t plugged into my graphics card in the right order!
Maybe it's those people that didn't upgrade to 8 because the figuring out how to use the Windows key blew their mind.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Or multimonitor setups? I guess you better unplug those other two monitors then!

eh? from this same thread:
Read my post again from where people are having issues with the FORCED nVidia update. It's not simply SLI setups. I will include it again in case you missed it. You seem to think it's only an issue with SLI but that's not the case. SLI is just ONE of the possible cases. Note the comma... It generally separates lists.
Windows Update is automatically installing new drivers which break multimonitor setups, SLI (dual card) configurations and can even stop PCs booting entirely which pushes Windows 10 into its emergency recovery mode
I'm also not saying every single multimonitor setup people have is an issue.

Happy to help!

Honest question: Are you actually suggesting FORCED UPDATES are a good thing? Stop being a MS apologist for once and use your brain. It's OK to criticize if it's warranted.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Forced updates are a good thing for those that don't know how to turn them off. Taking the millions of botnets offline will help reduce net congestion along with tons of irritating net shenanigans. Anyone with half a brain will be able to delay them and anyone with slightly more than half a brain will have Pro or Enterprise and not have to worry about them anyway.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Forced updates are a good thing for those that don't know how to turn them off. Taking the millions of botnets offline will help reduce net congestion along with tons of irritating net shenanigans. Anyone with half a brain will be able to delay them and anyone with slightly more than half a brain will have Pro or Enterprise and not have to worry about them anyway.
You can't turn them off. Hence FORCED UPDATES! Not sure what is confusing about that. On Home you can't disable them AT ALL. And with Pro it's limited. You may want to look into that because apparently you don't know what the hell you're talking about. /shock

But hey. Be a MS apologist all you want. That's what you're good at. You know you're free to criticize BAD IDEAS? But maybe one needs half a brain to think for themselves.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

read about a "fix" that made no sense. You would install the update driver, run the "fix" and uninstall the update driver......then I guess you would have to go back and reinstall the actual newest driver from the manufacturer. Really sounds nice so far! :roll:

Oh, and a little more basic info on what Win10 was actually doing....it was telling the systems that it had an updated driver, and it would then force the download/install of said driver. The problem was that it was NOT the most recent driver, and NVIDIA was then prompting people to download the actual new driver through their software. Doing this just caused Win10 to again force the download of the "new" driver.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm sorry, but overlooking this issue with video drivers in particular is fucking ridiculous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:Forced updates are a good thing for those that don't know how to turn them off. Taking the millions of botnets offline will help reduce net congestion along with tons of irritating net shenanigans. Anyone with half a brain will be able to delay them and anyone with slightly more than half a brain will have Pro or Enterprise and not have to worry about them anyway.
You can't turn them off. Hence FORCED UPDATES! Not sure what is confusing about that. On Home you can't disable them AT ALL. And with Pro it's limited. You may want to look into that because apparently you don't know what the hell you're talking about. /shock

But hey. Be a MS apologist all you want. That's what you're good at. You know you're free to criticize BAD IDEAS? But maybe one needs half a brain to think for themselves.

All you need to be able to do is google but I'm guessing 99% of the people can't do that.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/27/micros ... 0-updates/

The only people using regular Windows Home should be grandmas that wouldn't have SLI.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Now you're just being ignorant. I specifically said you could delay them with Pro and not Home. Thanks for that news bulletin though.

Just because you don't think anyone should be using the Home version doesn't change actual facts and shit. You know... Things that are usually missing from your posts.
The only people using regular Windows Home should be grandmas that wouldn't have SLI.
And also SLI is just ONE OF THE SCENARIOS that people had an issue with. It wasn't a combination of multimonitors and SLI. Also not sure why that's so hard to understand especially since I clarified it. Let me try it one more time:
Windows Update is automatically installing new drivers which a) break multimonitor setups, b) SLI (dual card) configurations and can even c) stop PCs booting entirely which pushes Windows 10 into its emergency recovery mode
Only one of those is relevant to SLI. Do you understand now?

They fact that they released this tool just goes to show you what a stupid idea it was to not allow people more control over what updates they install on their PC. You defending a stupid idea, for who knows what reason, just makes you look stupid. People like to have control over what is installed on their computers. Leave the forced updates to consoles where they belong.

Also the tool doesn't block updates as you seem to think:
Also note that wushowhide only works after the fact: You can't preemptively tell wushowhide to block certain patches or certain groups of patches. You have to get stung first, then block a specific patch that has been manually uninstalled.
Maybe if your Google skills were better you'd have know that. Sounds like Windows 10 Home is the version you want to be installing!

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Windows 10 review: Hold off if you use Windows 7
But the question is not whether Windows 10 is a good upgrade for Windows 8 users -- obviously, it is. The real question is whether Windows 10 deserves to supplant Windows 7. Despite substantial new functionality in Windows 10, Windows 7 users should wait until the upgrade train brings more improvements.

Many of the new features of Windows 10 do not seem ready for prime time, including the greatly modified Start menu with live tiles, the new Edge browser, Cortana, and the Continuum method of switching between mouse and touchscreen control. They all work well enough, yet they all lack key capabilities. The lesser tile-based Windows apps vary in quality from good (Mail, Calendar) to passable (Photos, Phone Companion) to barely breathing placeholders (People, Groove Music, Movies & TV).
Summary: If you run Windows 7 there is zero reason to "upgrade" to Windows 10 at this time. If you were suckered into installing Windows 8, or just plain dumb, then by all means go to 10.
If you’re coming from Windows 7, the left side of the Start menu will look vaguely familiar, but the Windows 10 version is much less malleable than the Windows 7 version. In Windows 10, you can’t create custom menu items, build cascading menus, or pin your own apps, files, or locations to the Start menu. You only get a fixed set of 10 apps that can be pinned to the bottom-left side of the menu, along with File Explorer and Settings, which can be removed.
Summary: Use Classic Shell if you want a functional Start menu.
For Windows 7 users, it may make more sense to hang tight for the foreseeable future -- or at least until Windows 10 Update 2 or 3 or 4 or 17 may be available. Sit back and watch the rollout unwind. It will take months for the major problems to surface and be corrected by Microsoft. It will take longer -- perhaps much longer -- for updates to make the promising new features attractive enough to warrant upgrading.
Summary: They speak the truth!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Done. Used this method to force update:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-skip-the-l ... 1720854489

You're welcome!

took about 45 minutes

When it was done I had one screwed up single monitor with incorrect resolution. I thought...maybe they were right! It sucks!

But no. Windows automatically uses the non Administrator account which I have setup for remote desktop so a single monitor with whacky res was actually correct.

Took me a sec to figure out how to re-enable the admin account (not something you do everyday), switched over to my normal account and everything looked exactly as it should, all three monitors, apps, etc.

Limited use so far but all my apps are working. Be sure to choose "custom" for settings when it asks during the update so you can uncheck Edge Browser, Photos, Music App, etc as your default apps. If you do, all your file associations remain intact.

Very clean UI. Easy to navigate if you've been using 8.1
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

One thing from the upgrade I didn't like.

Windows 10 took it upon itself to scale up my fonts on my monitors, resulting in fuzzy crappy blurry text.

If you notice blurry text:

Start > Settings > Display

"Change the size of text, apps, and other items: 100%"

Use the slider to set it to 100%

Some monitors were set to 150% or 125%. Horrible looking.

Makes me wonder how many people sit there and suffer with bad settings. It reminds of years ago when I'd walk around the work office and people had monitors with incredibly low refresh rates with mega flicker. Poor bastards stared at those screens all day and all it would take to make quality of life better was a simple switch to the refresh rate to make it at least 60 hz
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Windows 10 'free' Solitaire wants you to pay $10 (a year) to remove obnoxious video ads

The ads in the game seem to show up randomly between game matches as a full screen take-over video ad which runs for about 30 seconds.

Paying $9.99 for a year of premium Solitaire (or $1.49 for a month) removes the video ads, and delivers more coins for daily challenges and a boost in two modes of play.

The Windows 8.1 version of the game also included the ability to pay to remove ads, though it wasn't pre-installed with the operating system.

Enjoy your "free" OS, people! Get used to it with 'Windows As A Service. Solitaire is only the start. Pretty soon doing anything in Windows 10 will be like playing a free to play mobile game.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Windows 10 is working great. Outstanding OS.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sure until they implement that you can only rename/copy/delete 5 files a day. After that you have to buy in-OS currency to do more of those operations or wait until tomorrow.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Someone's jealous of DX12!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Who? And for what purpose?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... t-settings

Under attack! I'm not sure what people were expecting from a 'free' upgrade.
The European digital rights organisation (EDRi) sums up the company’s 45 pages of terms and conditions by saying: “Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with and on your devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties.”
Microsoft is getting (or making) money out of you one way or another. Grats on being good little sheep!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... t-settings

Under attack! I'm not sure what people were expecting from a 'free' upgrade.
The European digital rights organisation (EDRi) sums up the company’s 45 pages of terms and conditions by saying: “Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with and on your devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties.”
Microsoft is getting (or making) money out of you one way or another. Grats on being good little sheep!

Turned all of that stuff during the install. I guess this will be what the same people that couldn't figure out the Windows Key will whine about now.

Here's a tip. When it asks you if you want to install defaults or custom install, Select "custom". Proceed to select OFF on everything. Done! This is why forced updates are a good thing. People are clueless. If they can't figure out how to easily turn off options, they shouldn't be messing with custom updates either.

Update: Several Days post installing Windows 10: It's flawless. Start/win 8 hybrid menu works well. I still hit the Windows Key to bring it up because it makes more sense and is faster than stupid start button the whiners wanted.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I can't figure out the Windows key either. What's the deal with that?

I did a format and reinstall from a usb. It says I need to register my copy but I don't have a key to enter.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I love how Winnow's defense for everything Microsoft does revolves around other people being stupid. Classic Winnow.

And no forced updates are NOT a good thing. MAYBE on security updates but there is zero reason for Windows to be updating people device drivers without their permission. NO REASON. And if you think there is you're just an idiot.

Update: Several years post installing Windows 7: It's flawless.
Fairweather Pure wrote:I did a format and reinstall from a usb. It says I need to register my copy but I don't have a key to enter.
It's only 'free' if you're upgrading from Windows 7/8. If you do a fresh install you'd need to enter a product key. At least that's my impression. So if you REALLY want to run Windows 10, and I don't know why you would want to, then you'll need to install a "legit" copy Windows 7 or 8 first.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I can't figure out the Windows key either. What's the deal with that?

I did a format and reinstall from a usb. It says I need to register my copy but I don't have a key to enter.
That's not the key being referred to but here's the scoop for you. Format and reinstall only works if you bought windows 10 or already had registered your hardware before formatting.
When you upgrade a Windows 7 or 8.1 system to Windows 10, the installer confirms that you have a “genuine Windows” system installed and activates your computer for use with Windows 10. Note that you don’t actually get a Windows 10 product key — instead, your computer’s hardware is registered with Microsoft’s servers. When you install Windows 10 on that PC again in the future, it will check in with Microsoft’s servers, confirm it’s installed on a registered PC, and automatically activate itself.

If you don’t take advantage of the upgrade process first, this registration will never happen. There’s no way to enter a Windows 7 or 8.1 key into the Windows 10 installer, nor is there some sort of web form that will give you a Windows 10 key if you provide your Windows 7 or 8.1 key. Sorry — you’ll have to upgrade to Windows 10 before you can perform a clean install.

If you need to upgrade, you can download Microsoft’s Windows 10 media creation tool and tell it to “Upgrade this PC now.” It will automatically upgrade you to Windows 10 if your PC is running a genuine version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Once you’re done, confirm that Windows 10 is activated before performing a clean install. You can check this by opening Settings, selecting Update & Security, and selecting Activation.

Verify that you see “Windows is activated” here. Also, note the edition of Windows 10 you have installed — either Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro. Most people will receive the Home edition as part of the free upgrade, but you’ll get Windows 10 Pro if you previously had a Professional edition of Windows 7 or 8.1 installed.
Guess you get to reinstall your old windows first!

I linked the Windows Media Creation Tool that forces the update on old windows. You should have registered your old hardware first and then Windows would have automatically detected it during the fresh install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Step by step full instructions for clean install:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to- ... d=noscript
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I tried doing the upgrade but it kept crashing over and over again. What a pain in the ass.

I'll feel out my industry friends for a key I guess.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I tried doing the upgrade but it kept crashing over and over again. What a pain in the ass.

I'll feel out my industry friends for a key I guess.
How far did you get? If you got far enough for it to be registered, you skip putting in the key (per second link instructions) and windows will detect your hardware after that.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I tried doing the upgrade but it kept crashing over and over again. What a pain in the ass.
Inconceivable. Windows 10 is Flawless! According to Winnow that's probably your own fault because you're too stupid to upgrade Windows properly. You shouldn't even be legally allowed to own a computer.
Fairweather Pure wrote:I'll feel out my industry friends for a key I guess.
Why not just wait? What do you get by upgrading at this point? I'm fine with Windows 7 while everyone else irons out the kinks for me. And we find out what sort of privacy invasions (and advertising) the OS has in store despite being able to turn off some of them.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Regarding Activation - On launch day I downloaded the usb creator and blew away my Surface Pro. I skipped any key request and got it installed but then it failed to activate.

I'm hearing through Twitter and some podcasts that it would've eventually sorted itself out in a few days. I instead reverted to factory default and upgraded the recommended way. No key error at that point. From here on out, I suspect that I can now clean install from a USB key without any issues.

On my daughter's Stream 13, I had to unfortunately do a factory reset to free up the required disk space (32GB SSD's are tiny apparently) to do the update. Thank goodness it was a glorified Netflix machine at this point.