iPhone 6, 6+

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: iPhone 6, 6+

Post by Chidoro »

Canelek wrote:It is highly unlikely a battery is going to go south like that if it is not defective. Winnow may go over the edge with The Apple Defense from time to time, but I have to agree that the whole bendy thing is generally due to people being heavy-handed with electronic device usage. If you really want a bendy-phone, but that bigass LG Curve. Otherwise, take care of your gear or buy a damn case.

Really liking the regular 6 myself--almost as good as Android, but with a much nicer build than my old S3. I can't speak for the HTC, but that seems pretty nice as well.

Oh, and that Amazon phone seems pretty slick as well.
I did and its not. With the other stuff turned off, it gets sub-par battery life. I just told her to make sure the gps, wifi and Bluetooth are off if your not using it and you'll get through the day with light to moderate use, which is what that phone gets

the problem with his defense of the bendy thing is that he is wrong about it not being an issue and trying to cover it up with stupid diagrams with retarded messages written throughout while ignoring the issue that it exists. Sure, get a case and take care of your gear. But it's a handheld device. It shouldn't need one out of the box because it's too frail, too slippery, too uncomfortable to hold, or in the iphone's case, all 3. There's simply no damn point in creating a nice design if it necessitates the phone being covered up all of the time.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

One of the great benefits to owning an iPhone, is that you can take a faulty one, which your wife's clearly is, to any Apple Store, and they will replace it. For free.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:One of the great benefits to owning an iPhone, is that you can take a faulty one, which your wife's clearly is, to any Apple Store, and they will replace it. For free.
So how is your 6+ holding up in those skinny jeans?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Nerd phone fights are funny.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Spang wrote:One of the great benefits to owning an iPhone, is that you can take a faulty one, which your wife's clearly is, to any Apple Store, and they will replace it. For free.
So how is your 6+ holding up in those skinny jeans?
I don't own either of those things.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If 12 hours of active use on a single charge is sub par, I can deal with it.

Shame you got a defective phone. It happens with all brands. It's another good reason to go with Apple. Best customer service in the business.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Winnow wrote:If 12 hours of active use on a single charge is sub par, I can deal with it.

Shame you got a defective phone. It happens with all brands. It's another good reason to go with Apple. Best customer service in the business.
that's the + you twit, not the regular. and the 6 is subpar

and there's nothing wrong w/ her phone, that's the battery life
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

clearly, it's not. that's the battery life.
our time isn't free. yours is probably cheap, ours is not
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

As one can see, it seems that Apple has managed to do something quite incredible with battery life. Normally an 1810 mAh battery with 3.82V nominal voltage would be quite a poor performer, but the iPhone 6 is a step above just about every other Android smartphone on the market. The iPhone 6 Plus also has a strong showing, although not quite delivering outrageous levels of battery life the way the Ascend Mate 2 does. That's it for now, but the full review should be coming in the near future.
The iPhone 6's Battery Life Is Better Than Most Of Its Android Competitors

according to technology website AnandTech's recent tests, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus can both outlast many high-end Android phones. The iPhone 6 lasted for a little more than 11 hours after enduring AnandTech's WiFi battery test, which consists of constantly browsing the Web with the display brightness set to 200 nits. The iPhone 6 Plus, comparatively, lasted a little longer than 13 hours.
A
Battery life is fine on the 6 as well as the 6+. You're using it wrong. But of course, like bendgate, Android users will turn a blind eye and keep watching kooks on Youtube instead of taking into account Consumer Reports and Anantech which are some of the most respected testing sites on the web.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Chidoro wrote:She was using it in the car for about an hour and it lost over 40%. Simply unacceptable.
If this is true, her iphone 6 is defective as fuck.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Her husband is, too.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:Her husband is, too.
At least he's not a hipster and a gigantic douche. Doesn't get much lower than that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I went outside today with a fully charged 6+. I cranked the brightness to 100% and the screen was perfectly visible in direct bright sunlight. It looked awesome. I've never seen a screen look that good in direct sunlight. While I didn't have my brightness at 100% the entire time, about 30 minutes later I arrived at my destination and my battery was still at 100%. I guess some of us were really lucky and got miraculous batteries placed in our iPhones.

I own a 802.11ac router so this is how my Wifi is on the new iPhone:

http://gizmodo.com/heres-how-much-faste ... 1641594314

Really speedy.

So far I'm liking the size of the iPhone 6+ for everything except actually making phone calls, which I rarely do. 5.5" screen is very usable for net stuff.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

You'll want a BT device for calls. It looks silly talking on a TV.

Yeah, the screen clarity in big sunlight is crazy awesome on the 6 too. That was my biggest complaint about Windows and Android phones. Android on the Apple hardware would be cool.
en kærlighed småkager
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Chidoro wrote:She was using it in the car for about an hour and it lost over 40%. Simply unacceptable.
you obviously did read the part about the wifi, bluetooth, and gps being on.
normal/light use, with those off, she kind of makes it through the day.
so, not defective, just a lesson on turning all that extraneous stuff off.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Winnow wrote: Battery life is fine on the 6 as well as the 6+. You're using it wrong. But of course, like bendgate, Android users will turn a blind eye and keep watching kooks on Youtube instead of taking into account Consumer Reports and Anantech which are some of the most respected testing sites on the web.
The 6 battery life is mediocre at best:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/benchmarks
but hey, say what you will. Typical ignorance with your pathetic fanboyism. Ignore the bend, ignore how the CR test is completely flawed, and it's explained why in great detail. Continue to read "iamright.com" for all of your needs to justify realilty for noone but yourself.
I hear Anand has just gotten a good gig at apple
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Chidoro wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:
you obviously did read the part about the wifi, bluetooth, and gps being on.
normal/light use, with those off, she kind of makes it through the day.
so, not defective, just a lesson on turning all that extraneous stuff off.
I have GPS, WiFi and bluetooth always on. I realize I have the 6+ so turning that off may make more of a difference with the 6.

It still could be a specific app using one of those services that's causing the battery drainage. On the rare occasion with my previous iPhone 5 I noticed the battery draining faster than usual. When that happened, I'd reboot the phone just in case as app was causing issues. iOS is way better than Android when it comes to managing resources and killing apps in the background but it's not perfect.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

6 battery life is peachy. I have GPS, BT, etc. on and I don't put it on the charger until I go to bed, and even then it is usually around 30-40%. I didn't read the websites that say the battery life is no good because, well, I suppose I didn't need to.

Not sure about the 5, but battery life on the 3 and 4 was fucking lousy. Samsung Galaxy 2 and 3 were terrible as well. Nokia 1520 was awesome (3500 maH), but Windows just doesn't have many decent (or even common) apps due to low market share.

I dig Android, but Apple has finally come out with a device that I have no complaints about since the battery life is damn good and I can now block telemarketers/phishing scam numbers without needing to jailbreak.

To each their own, but a heated rivalry over fucking phones is just sillypants.
en kærlighed småkager
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Canelek wrote: To each their own, but a heated rivalry over fucking phones is just sillypants.
I agree. My wife was waivering but I told her she'd be much better off with the 6. Too many stupid quirks of relearning an OS that I didn't want to deal with. She also wanted a good camera, and I told her that aside from the +, the 6 is the best all around choice. I'm a big fan of motorola, but I am not going to send her to my phone maker with its consistently low ranking cameras
She was using it in the car while I was driving during the first weekend of having it. Her previous phone was the 4 which didn't have a problem with all of the other stuff turned on becuase it only used the CDMA network. The LTE chips suck more power, so i had to tell her to turn all of the other things off when not in use. I also told her to turn on the ambient light sensor so that the brightness of the screen would vary. it doesn't always have to be pumping out 600 nits
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Got the 6 through work for free. Was using a 4s.

Loving the phone so far! It's so light, thin, fast... the screen is nice and huge, the camera is good. I love the graphite color. Even the headphones that it comes packaged with are decent.

That said, I would never have bought it on my own. $600? Jesus.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote: That said, I would never have bought it on my own. $600? Jesus.
Just about all high end smart phones have crazy full prices. My 6+ 128 is $950 I think.

As for whether someone uses iOS, Android or Windows phones, I don't really care. I'll mostly defend iPhones if someone bashes on them but don't really care if someone likes another brand.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

What do you use the space for?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Leonaerd wrote:
What do you use the space for?
Lots of hi-res dicks! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It was the only 6+ storage size briefly in stock. I originally ordered the 64. Paid the extra 100 so I wouldn't have to wait until mid October to get it as my iPhone 5 was on its last legs.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Flabbergastingly insecure: Google's Android is the new Flash

Several years ago, Steve Jobs called out Adobe Flash as a trainwreck of security and performance problems, garnering him contempt from industry players deeply invested in the software platform. Today, Google's Android platform is getting same brutal appraisal, but it's coming from Android's own fans.
Google's Flash in the Android pan

Today, virtually everyone agrees that Flash is a petulant boil on the web. Wired recently referred to Flash as "that insecure, ubiquitous resource hog everyone hates to need," in an article detailing both Mozilla's efforts to disable Flash in its browser and Facebook's security chief Alex Stamos calling for Adobe to give Flash a kill date.

Even Google—once a staunch proponent of Flash back in 2010 when hoped to wield the closed source web middleware as a distinguishing feature of Android tablets compared to Apple's Flash-free iPad—has made great efforts to distance itself from the persistent headache that is Flash.

Google's new opinion of Flash came only after a very painful experience of working to deeply integrate Adobe Flash into Android and its web browser. Rather than proving that Apple was wrong about Flash being unsuitable for mobile devices, Google provided clear evidence that its years of engineering efforts expended on baking Flash into Android was a fool's errand.

Hundreds of millions of Android devices gained a supposed advantage in being able to play back some Flash content, but at the painful cost of suffering grievous software flaws, including massive security holes such as the serious malware vector for the "Fake ID" exploit discovered by Bluebox Security last year.

Despite earning so much contempt, Flash remains ubiquitous. If you surf the Web with Flash warnings turned on, a startlingly high percentage of websites insist on trying to load the Flash Player plugin, even when there's no obvious reason; no videos to playback, no weblet games and no over-the-top navigation animations. Flash on the web is like High Fructose Corn Syrup in America: broadly frowned upon, but awfully difficult to avoid.

Hence, the increasing volume of a chorus of security experts and platform vendors calling for Adobe to simply call it quits on Flash.
Android is a lot like Flash

The same engineers and product managers at Google who thought shoehorning Flash into Android was a good idea also created the rest of Android. Somewhat ironically, Google even brands Android with a robot logo usually portrayed in the sick color of a sinus infection discharge.

The lack of thought put into every aspect of Android clearly shows: the platform is now the world's largest toxic malware sinkhole, a dubious achievement given that Microsoft garnered so much outrage for building a platform of garbage so terrible that a Windows PC was guaranteed to be automatically deluged with malware and viruses simply by being plugged into the Internet.

Android recently surpassed Windows not only in unit shipment "popularity," but also in its rampant insecurity as a platform. What started with a series of massive vulnerabilities—exacerbated by Flash but not entirely the fault of Flash by any means—has now gotten to the point where virtually any Android device can be taken over by a single malicious text message, thanks to the latest flaw to be discovered: Stagefright.

Vulnerabilities exist for other platforms too, for everything from RedHat Linux to Apple's own iOS and OS X. The primary difference is that serious enterprise software vendors—like Apple—work diligently to patch and distribute their fixes to every possible user. For years, Apple has been patching potentially exploitable flaws for iPhones, iPads and Macs originally sold three to four years ago, and in some cases many more years prior to that. That's helped to secure Apple users from exploits in most cases before malicious code could even be written to take advantage of discovered flaws.

Other mobile platforms can't claim that: Symbian, webOS, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile and in particular Android have all done a terrible job in distributing new software patches to existing phone users. The same hardware vendors who previously maintained a dismal record in distributing security update patches for their phones before Android have continued to shirk their responsibility to quickly work to patch vulnerabilities under Android.

Even when Google makes efforts to patch a known flaw in Android, hardware vendors seem to have little interest in promptly rolling out the patches to their existing users, in large part due to the complexities in tweaking patches to work across the tens of thousands of slightly different Android models now in use. On top of that, mobile carriers often erect their own impediments to complicate the distribution of Android patches, because each carrier also tweaks the legions of hardware models they carry with their own customizations.

Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai, a self described Android fan, recently wrote a piece for Vice Motherboard that lamented the sloppy state of security that exists for Android, noting that "Android users are basically at the mercy of their carriers and phone manufacturers when it comes to getting updates or new operating system versions."

He cited a deleted tweet by security researcher Nicholas Weaver which stated, "Imagine if Windows patches had to pass through Dell and your ISP before they came to you? And neither cared? That is called Android."
Android security problems are worse than Flash

Really, the security problems on Android are worse than Adobe's incessantly-updated garbage-ware known as Flash. It's a pain to keep your browser's Flash Player up-to-date, but at least it's possible if you don't mind installing new software updates over and over, seemingly every time you are forced to use it.

With Android, basic security isn't even a possibility unless you are a savvy enough engineer to maintain your own code base and regularly compile a new kernel yourself. Even then there's a problem: in many cases, Google doesn't care about your problems any more than the carriers and their hardware partners do.

For example, Google's Android WebView, tainted by the company's efforts to deeply integrate Flash, remains unfixed for hundreds of millions of users despite the fact that a 60 percent majority of Android users were affected by it back in January when the code was publicly reported to be riddled with serious flaws.

While Google's adoption figures for newer versions of Android software continues to slowly increase, six months after the issue was widely reported, nearly half of the entire Android installed base actively using Google Play continues to remain vulnerable to the serious flaws in WebView that Google simply refuses to fix.

Imagine if there were long list of severe flaws in Flash, affecting the majority of its users, which Adobe shrugged off fixing because it hoped those users would just eventually buy newer computers. That would be outrageous anywhere else but in Android-land, where it's just business as usual.
Android's security issues a result of Google's design

At the very core of Android's ideological open-source freedom concept is the notion that devices don't need any sort of security policy blocking executable software from being casually installed via a URL link, NFC or most recently, Google's latest "Eddystone" attempt to compete with Apple using an iBeacon-rivaling new protocol that lets random BTLE devices send URLs to mobile devices. It's almost as if Google wants Android to be insecure.

From the very start, Google championed the idea of being able to load software from virtually anywhere as an example of Android's "freedom," but the reality is that "open app stores" are just as insane from a security point of view as hardwiring Flash into the browser. The primary reason why virtually all mobile malware in existence is written for Android is the simple fact that it is astoundingly easy to distribute malware leveraging the permissive security policies that let most Android devices install software from anywhere, in some cases without the user ever being aware that software is even being installed.

Last year, Google's Android chief Sundar Pichai stated, "If I had a company dedicated to malware, I would also send my attacks to Android," suggesting that his platform's malware problem was mostly due to Android's broad use, drawing parallels with Microsoft's notoriously malware-riddled Windows platform.

If Android and Windows were the only global platforms with around a billion users, that idea might be believable. For years, Apple's relatively small Mac market share among PCs kept alive the notion that as soon as Macs reached a certain proportion of PCs, they too would be overcome with rampant malware issues.

However, Apple's iOS is now poised to soon pass Windows in unit shipments. And while a greater number of generic mobile devices have some version of Android on them, Apple's ability to keep most of its users on a modern version of iOS less than a year old means that a greater number of devices run iOS 8 than run a year or two old version of Android. Apple has hundreds of millions of iOS users, and tens of millions of Mac users; it just doesn't have the massive malware problem of Android and Windows.

That indicates pretty clearly that malware isn't just an unavoidable byproduct of popularity. Like other predators, malware authors seek out vulnerable populations, not just crowds. Apple's security policies that keep iOS vulnerabilities patched, iOS users up to date and iOS apps secured hasn't stopped the media from writing deceptive scare pieces implying that iOS is just as bad as Android, but it has made it virtually impossible to commercially benefit from writing malware for iOS.

On the other hand, there's lots of money to made in scamming and spying on Android and Windows users. Software to spy on Android and Windows users is openly sold on the Internet, but similar tools for iOS aren't available—even to law enforcement—unless the spy victim has their phone jailbroken.

That indicates that while iOS is clearly a valuable target to malicious hackers, the platform is protected enough to by Apple to make it effectively too expensive to continuously target and retarget as past exploit vectors are eliminated or blocked.

Google has repeatedly left the majority of its users unprotected against known problems, making it easy to exploit those users and profit from doing so. That makes the hundreds of millions of iOS users like a swiftly moving school of fish in the eyes of hungry predators, while Android users are more like a herd of caribou where more than half of the population are lame and unable to evade even the laziest of attackers. iOS is a frustrating target, while Android is an easy kill.
Android's demographic becoming even less valuable for Google to secure

Complicating the current malware situation for Android is the reality that iOS already represents the demographic cream of the market. Apple's users shop the most, buy the most apps, browse the most and are worth more to advertisers. As Android's malware issue continues to raise hackles among even the platform's most ardent fans, that value proportion will increasingly favor iOS as the remaining valuable users defect to the only secure platform left.

That in turn will leave Google with even less valuable users to maintain and support. That migration isn't just conceptual. Apple's latest iPhone 6 has attracted record numbers of new users from Android, while Samsung, Android's largest licensee, has experienced a massive drop in revenues over a series of quarters. Few other Android vendors are even breaking even, let alone earning sustainable profits.

And yet, the same sources who consistently reported that Apple was fated to eventually inherit a malware crisis due to volume shipments are now fretting that Apple is on the brink of disaster, and that next year's iPhone will have a hard time attracting users, even though there is zero evidence supporting this idea.

It's almost as if pundits and ideologues think that making excuses for Android will erase its problems, while inventing new catastrophes of doom for Apple will sink its success, if only they can repeat themselves enough to make their ideas come true.

That's a strategy that hasn't worked out for them for the last decade.
Said it several years ago, Android sucks. Another thing that Steve Jobs was right about. (Flash and Android)

Doubt there's any Android pimpers out there anymore but it would be easy enough to post stats on the droves of Android users that have switched or switched back to iOS over the past few years and Android darling Samsung's horrible sales on it's latest Android phones. I'm sure there are still a couple hipsters/anti-hipsters, rebels without a clue, etc that want to stick it to the "man" because that's the fashionable thing to do. "I can play flash on my phone!" used to be the mating call of Android lovers. I'm guessing the resulting babies from those parings are cross-eyed.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

SGS6 is my current daily driver. It's a pretty amazing device. So much better than previous Galaxy phones I've had the misfortune of having to use.

BTW - That flaw has already been patched in Google's android code. has been for a bit. The problem in the ecosystem is the OEM's with all their insipid modifications and the carriers who just want to sell you new devices.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I have a first gen HTC One and have been waiting on something I really want to upgrade (although it's kinda on its way out, so I hope I hear about something soon) but there hasn't been anything that's caught my eye (switching back to an iphone isn't happening). I'd really like to get the OnePlus Two - but having to go with either AT&T or T Mobile is kinda a deal breaker because neither has very good service here.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Frankly I'd look at the SG6, the new Moto X 2015 or the new Note 5 coming soonish (if you want that size).

The camera on the SGS6 is completely amazing.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I've never cared for Samsung phones as I prefer a more or less stock Android OS. I'll have to check the Moto out as I don't think I've heard anything - Note is probably bigger than I want. I would like to find one with the build quality of the One as well, as I tend to drop my phone a lot and don't want to use cases - but that's negotiable as it's extremely uncommon.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

The verizon moto's are pretty crazy in their product materials. Kevlar fiber, etc. They look like they can take a beating. They also look very nice, but for obvious reasons (namely, battery) they are not as slim as iphone and galaxy offerings.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Funkmasterr wrote:I've never cared for Samsung phones as I prefer a more or less stock Android OS. I'll have to check the Moto out as I don't think I've heard anything - Note is probably bigger than I want. I would like to find one with the build quality of the One as well, as I tend to drop my phone a lot and don't want to use cases - but that's negotiable as it's extremely uncommon.
Google's component-ized Android so much that you can get pretty damned near stock without having to root or flash.

I run Google Now Launcher, Google keyboard, Google Messenger(sms) (hate Hangouts) and their calendar app on mine. The only thing it doesn't replace is the settings and some random skinning but that's superficial.

Seems like every crap/bloat app (at least on my Telus version in Canada) has been relegated to an optional install from their Galaxy App Store.

The only real issue with it is that a case is not optional. They did the same dumb shit Apple pulled with the 4/4s and made it glass on both sides.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I thought you were all about the Windows phones? What is going on here!

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Kluden wrote:The verizon moto's are pretty crazy in their product materials. Kevlar fiber, etc. They look like they can take a beating. They also look very nice, but for obvious reasons (namely, battery) they are not as slim as iphone and galaxy offerings.
I've had the droid turbo(that name, oofa) since the week it was released. I was using a razr maxx hd before that (again w/ the awful names) which I still use as a wifi device or backup w/ a nano sim to micro sim adapter. They are all built like brick shithouses and market leading battery life. The thing about moto devices is that even if they aren't the thinnest devices or lightest, they are incredibly ergonomic and very easy to hold. Conversely, the iphones and samsungs are built to mandate a case.
Note that even though the Turbo is a Verizon phone, it has most of the US bands and is a world ready phone. If you plug a T-mobile LTE sim in, it will work on T-mobile. Same goes for Canada and European markets (new iphones are world phones too).
I would just wait for the Moto X to be released in September. If the camera turns out to be nearly as good as they are stating, it will take care of Motorola's historical weakness.
The Lg G4 is pretty decent, especially the camera, but the skin is the worst of the bunch. One plus Two looks interesting now that they ditched cyanogen. Not sure about their camera though.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I've never really looked at moto phones as they tend to be mostly Verizon and there's no way I'll go back to them - I use 4-8GB a month of data on my phone and they would charge me a small fortune for that much data. I'll most likely be sticking with Sprint unless I decide I want the OnePlus Two enough to switch to T Mobile/AT&T. I have looked at the G4 previously, but I'd have to replace that back cover with something else - I can't imagine why they did that.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Based on that, I would wait and give the X a look before diving in since it's a 100% carrier agnostic phone in the US.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:I thought you were all about the Windows phones? What is going on here!
I still love the platform but it appears that I'm damned near the only one these days. When they have a flagship worth speaking about and stop bottom feeding and if devs start making apps now that they actually have universal apps and Windows 10 is actually looking successful, I may come back.

If I had to guess though, it's too little to late for the platform. It's going to be a 2 platform game and Android is the Windows of Mobile.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well I finally joined the 21st century and got a smartphone. Mostly due to a new job that will involve a lot of travel for the next few months so I figured that would be a good investment. I decided to go with the 128GB 6s for my first phone. The 6s+ was out of stock at the AT&T store and just seemed a bit too big although to be honest if it was in stock I may have considered it a bit more. Maybe when I get more accustomed to things I might look into Android options but that will be at least two years from now. I wont be one of those people who upgrade every time a new model comes out. Sheep!

I still need to find a decent case for it though. Does anyone use the screen protector type stuff? If so what's a good one?

Also what's the consensus on jailbreaking? I think I'll stick to the stock iOS for now just to get used to things. Plus since 9.x is rather new that will give the developers more time to straighten things out.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's about fucking time!

No need for screen protectors. I don't think you could scratch the latest super glass even if you wanted to.

Case is personal choice. I bought the over priced leather case from Apple. It's actually nice. Has self repairing leather for scratches that actually works. I've accidentally scraped my case with my nail once or twice and was able to rub out the scratch case looks brand new after a year with heavy daily use.

Also no need to jailbreak. It's been 4 years I think since I last jailbroke an iOS device. You can pretty much do whatever you want these days with the iPhone. Over the years, Apple allowed or added the stuff people wanted that used to be only available if jailbroken.

I have 6+ because I can't see a damn thing up close anymore so the bigger the better, but if you don't have that issue, 6 works fine.

Apps to consider, most free if not all

Zite - best news aggregator app there is (you might also try Flipboard but I think Zite is more efficient)
News - Comes installed with iOS, also pretty nice news app
Redditor - decent Reddit app, bigger text which I like.
mSecure or 1password - nice apps to keep track of all of your passwords, bank info, health crap, etc I've got assloads of web login/passwords. these apps make it easy to find that stuff using fingerprint ID.
Grocery IQ - for keeping track of grocery lists (I don't use this much due to Soylent but still works for other stuff I need
Netflix - of course if you have netflix, And Amazon Video if you have prime.
Maybe find a decent Youtube app.

IMDb is awesome on phones/tablets. I'd recommend downloading it for movie/tv info.

Fallout Shelter, popular free game from the makers of Fallout 4.

If you trade, whatever stock broker you use will have an app for easy trading. Your Bank app.

Of course Destiny apps and whatever other games you might play.

Built in Podcast App is nice. If you're traveling, podcasts are great for filling time. DTNS (Daily Tech News Show) is a decent 30 minute audio podcast that covers the day's tech news.

Everything posted above is free except maybe mSecure.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

After using the 6s for a week or two I'm finding it a bit small. Maybe a case might help that (probably not) but it kind of hurts my hand after awhile. I wish I had gotten the 6s+ however they didn't have it in stock at that location (I asked) and I needed something fairly soon for travel purposes. I can always upgrade in a year, or sooner, if I pay this one off earlier than the 18 month 'contract' I have via the AT&T Next program.

At the moment I'm mostly just using it for podcasts. It is pretty nice being able to subscribe to them and not having to have to go out and check for new episodes like I used to do on PC. I guess I could have used iTunes but fuck iTunes. I don't really want to install that on my PC but I may need to so I can do backups of the phone. I know it has cloud backup but local is always nice. Any recommendations on podcasts? I have a few video game specific ones but looking to expand. The Nerdist one is pretty good if you want to listen to an hour+ of a specific person. Which I do!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Podcasts are something that I totally gave up when I moved to Android. I am guessing there is an app out there that is good at managing them, but it was so simple through iTunes.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:Podcasts are something that I totally gave up when I moved to Android. I am guessing there is an app out there that is good at managing them, but it was so simple through iTunes.
It is! Just hit subscribe and it lets you know where there is a new episode. Pretty handy. At least on the phone itself. I haven't actually installed iTunes itself and will hold out on that as long as I can.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

No need for iTunes. I only used it to transfer audiobooks and sometimes comics. It can be nice to backup your phone to iTunes but iCloud also works for that (not your apps which can be redownloaded but your contacts, etc)

The dedicated podcast app that comes with iOS is really good. It didn't use to have the sleep timer and speed adjustments. I use the "most recent" option most of the time for my podcast listening which typically plays the latest DTNS (Daily Tech News Show) episode from the previous day and then whatever other podcasts I have. Actually I think the tab is called "Unplayed episodes" now. Sorted by release date that combines all of your various podcast titles.

You can customize how many episodes it should keep. I have some podcasts set to 3 episodes and some to 1 and the older ones deleted automatically. Also be aware that if you don't listen to a particular podcast title for about a month, it will stop downloading episodes for that podcast until you tell it to again.

If you like skepticism, The Skeptics Guide to the Universe (SGU) is a weekly podcast worth checking out an episode of two of. The main guy is a scientist/physician. They set about crushing crazy fringe science people and are also Star Wars nerds, etc.

Rebel FM "can" be a decent weekly podcast about gaming. As with many gamer podcasts, they can be informative or sometimes annoying. Turning it off before they respond to listener mail is a good idea.

TWIT (This Week in Tech) is a weekly tech show hosted by Leo Laporte which can also be very informative or annoying depending on the guests.

Podcasts are great. There are assloads of them so you're bound to find a few that you enjoy listening to more than commercials on the radio.

Best thing about them, besides the few you choose to listen to regularly is searching out a topic you're briefly interested in. For example, if you want more clarity about a the latest walking dead episode or gotham episode, etc. Don't have to subcribe, can just check out the one you are interested in. I do that with a lot of science podcasts depending on topics discussed.

It's amazing how much free media/entertainment is available on smart phones on all platforms. Even on the rare occasion an app isn't free,it's .99 or at most a couple dollars. I think iOS is the best choice due to it's rock solid app store and effortless updates, etc. There's a reason a ridiculous number of people that switch from iOS to Android switch back. Without getting into mobile OS wars, iOS/iPhones/iPAds are drop dead easy and "just work" which is exactly what I want in a mobile device.

If your phone ever does crash, just remember to hold the home and on/off button down together for a few seconds to reboot!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:After using the 6s for a week or two I'm finding it a bit small. Maybe a case might help that (probably not) but it kind of hurts my hand after awhile. I wish I had gotten the 6s+ however they didn't have it in stock at that location (I asked) and I needed something fairly soon for travel purposes. I can always upgrade in a year, or sooner, if I pay this one off earlier than the 18 month 'contract' I have via the AT&T Next program.
iPhones are so thin, I think a case is necessary to handle it well without feeling like you might drop it. The Apple leather case I bought has nice textured sides making it easier to handle. I'm sure a cheap plastic case would work just as well though.

I think if you buy it at Apple you just take it back within a reasonable amount of time and say you don't like it and want the bigger one. Apple, at least for sure, does have a return policy. Might read up on other people's experiences through AT&T. I'm sure you'd get less grief upgrading than totally returning a phone. My service provider is AT&T but I always buy my phones directly from Apple for the customer service. BTW, doesn't matter where you bought it, if you end up having a problem with it Apple stores will exchange it without a receipt. Best customer service ever. My iPhone 4 was from AT&T directly and had yellow spots. Took it to Apple store and they didn't blink an eye and gave me a new one without asking even for an ID.(they get all that info from your phone).
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I still can't decide what phone I want. It's between the Nexus 6P and the iPhone 6s+ - I like Androids apps/ecosystem a bit better, but force touch on the new iPhones is pretty cool, and there are a few other things I like about them. I had decided on the Nexus, but it's been fucking sold out forever with no news about when they'll be available again, which is pushing me more and more towards the iPhone. My HTC One is three years old now and is holding on by its last thread :(
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I am unable to help with your dilemma!

Far as mobile goes I'm probably stuck in the iOS universe. More than likely will pick up an iPad Pro.

And as far as a phone goes I'm fine with the 6s as opposed to the 6s+. If I wanted to use it for anything other than phone use I'd probably prefer the + but with a laptop and (probably) an ipad I have no real need for the larger phone.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Samsung Note vs Iphone

Final verdict!

iPhone 6+ = Win
Note 7 = recalled and discontinued, $10 billion loss for Samsung

Shame, if they hadn't wasted 10 Billion on Advertisements bashing Apple they could have put that toward designing a phone that doesn't explode.

Some recall my lengthy thread about having to repair my Samsung TV multiple times replacing capacitors that were inferior and too weak for their purpose that Samsung cheaped out on while designing their TVs. It wasn't just me with bad luck, There was a lawsuit that Samsung lost over it.

I own two Samsung TVs and the picture is great on them but I'm starting to search for a 4K TV and will make an effort to not buy a Samsung TV if possible. Cheap ass capacitors which caused me to open up my TVs twice to repair them and now a completed phone disaster doesn't make me confident in Samsung's quality control.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I feel you on the samsung TV issue, but good luck. Everyone makes a shit TV, basically. Its tough to find a TV that has quality of build in the high end, they just don't exist. Every manufacturer goes cheap somewhere. Vizio P series was where I pointed people, but now that they got bought out by LeEco, I imagine their products will now be like every other cheap as shit chinese tv on the market. LG doesn't update firmware on TV's past a year. Sony and Samsung are the only real choice. LG for OLED, but you won't be getting firmware updates anytime soon for issues.

The phone thing is almost laughable. I abhore apple, but this isn't about apple products or samsung products...its about rushing to market. i wonder if this would have been avoided if they didn't have to beat apple to market? 8% share price drop is big suck for investors.

At least their next phones will be all the better?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:Sony and Samsung are the only real choice.

yeah, after reviewing a few brands of TVs, I'm not finding one that I have confidence in. Not a fan of Sony's UI. My parents have a 4K Sony and I can't stand the UI. What a pain in the ass to get anything running on it (photos, etc). Seems to have less codec support as well for file formats.

I hear Samsung has something interesting coming out that is close to the quality of OLED (quantom dot display tech). I really don't want to get a Samsung if possible but that seems to be the best choice so far.

I'm primarily using for PC monitor. Visio actually has a cheaper M model that as 12.8 ms response time which is excellent for gaming and a decent 4K picture but not HDR etc. Around $500-550 for a 50" 4K. I may pick up something like that this year and then get a nicer full featured TV next year with HDR 10 support, etc. Eventually want to replace my 3 46" HD TVs with 3 4K TVs but maybe a bit larger, perhaps three 55".
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I was thinking about getting a 4K TV, but I'm thinking about holding off. My current TV is a Samsung and I haven't had any issues, but I always research expensive electronics obsessively before I buy them.

I'm on the fence about what I want to do, wait for a nicer HDR 10 60" late next year, or there may be OLED TV's coming into a reasonable price range another year out from that. I'm not in a big rush as I've had this TV for only about a year and it hasn't given me even a hint of a problem, so I'm going to hold out until I'm sure I'm getting a real upgrade and not something marginal that I'm only going to notice when I'm really close to the TV.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'd wait to buy any TV until after 2017 CES (early January) when new models are announced.

--