iPhone 6, 6+

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: iPhone 6, 6+

Post by Winnow »

Yeah, will most likely wait for the announcements surrounding CES (usually the week before).

If no major advances I'll get a reduced price 2016 model a company is looking to dump. At minimum I'll want 10bit color and the approved HDR standard. 120 refresh (actual not scam Samsung "motion" doubled numbers) and low response time for gaming.

Amazing how low the power consumption is on modern TVs. The high end 55" models show $13/year for power. Keeps dropping.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I got one of the fancy 2015 samsungs (not fake 120hz, but i have it disabled anyways). Its real nice, has quantum butthole dots or whatever, its NOT OLED level. Never will be, because its not OLED. So get that out of your mind.

It plays all the codecs I've thrown at it, so no issue there (just like my older samsung plasma)...MKV's are the big one, as that's a common compression format as you know, and its not supported by majority of TV's.

Bought my TV around thanksgiving, after the 2016's were announced, and the 2015's went on discount. So did the same as you plan to do.

Nothing, I repeat, nothing, can compare to OLED, except plasma, and no one makes those anymore. OLED is just like plasma, a whole 'nother level above LCD. LCD is such a joke, and should have been put to bed years ago. But its what we are stuck with, since LG is the only OLED supplier still. Others keep talking about, or ditching it and bringing it back (samsung), its just getting old. There's no price competition to bring that crap down.

Anyways, I bought when I did because I wanted a bigger TV. Nothing more to it. Wasn't worth "waiting" for OLED, as I figured by the time I'm done with this TV, maybe just maybe OLED will be the standard. Doubt it, as LCD just piles on the profits for these companies, as its just so cheap to manufacturer now.

My only regret is that samsung doesn't make a full array backlit TV anymore, or at a reasonable price, so you're stuck with just Vizio for that. So if the Vizio's had better decoding/etc, their TV's would be a whole lot nicer. I know they have a high end line now, but I've never seen one. I believe its priced completely unreasonably, which just makes you buy the OLED from LG at that point.

Phew, that's a lot. Sorry, I'm pretty passionate about AV.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:I got one of the fancy 2015 samsungs (not fake 120hz, but i have it disabled anyways). Its real nice, has quantum butthole dots or whatever, its NOT OLED level. Never will be, because its not OLED. So get that out of your mind.
yeah, I'm well aware of Samsung's marketing hype and bs. Samsungs have looked the best to be for many years when it comes to TVs so they've gotten my business. Besides Sony, I'll consider any other brand along with Samsung for my next TVs. It's like Logitech stuff. I can't stand Logitech drivers for mice and peripherals but they make the best hardware (even if they die pretty fast). I would love to get another brand and am always on the lookout but havent been able to yet.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

edit
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

After three years, I finally dropped my phone 6+ out of my pocket and it hit concrete and smashed my screen with like 100 little cracks. I had dropped it several times over the past three years without a scratch but this one did the trick. First time in 9 years I've ever cracked an iphone screen.

Good thing I ordered an Iphone X last Friday and was able to get day one delivery for this Friday. I was debating on whether to wait another year or not but turns out I made the right choice.

I bought a slim case for it but with the phone costing $1,150 and something around $260 to replace the screen if it breaks, I might get a more heavy duty case this time!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Happy with my new iPhone X so far.

Not much to say on new phones these days. Just a few things I've noticed:

-Face ID is really nice IMO. Not having to use touch ID to unlock your phone every time is great. FaceID works seemlessly with all previous touchID apps.

-I really like that phone ringer, alarm clock, etc noise all lowers as you bring the phone close to you. FaceID recognizes you're looking at the phone and the alarms/rings are lowered accordingly. That's a proximity thing so maybe some Androids have that feature as well.

-iPhone X is thinner than the 7/7/8+ so easier to hold in one hand and use thumb for gestures etc.

-OLED blacks/colors look great but, as with all OLED screens, slightly angling the display really shifts the colors. Usually you're looking directly at a phone but there are times when it's on your deck on a stand etc where you may not be directly looking from the front. Samsung phone users have had to suffer with this for years so I guess i get to join the party!

-the "notch" where all the sensors etc are placed is a non issue.

-Wireless charging is awesome. That's probably the only thing I was envious of from non Apple phones.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote: October 22, 2015, 1:49 am Well I finally joined the 21st century and got a smartphone. Mostly due to a new job that will involve a lot of travel for the next few months so I figured that would be a good investment. I decided to go with the 128GB 6s for my first phone.
<…>
I wont be one of those people who upgrade every time a new model comes out. Sheep!
To follow up on that… 8 years later I am still using that 6s. It’s been good enough for my needs although I have replaced the battery twice now. After ~2.5-3 years they don’t hold a charge too well.

Next year when it’s time for a new battery the iPhone 16 should be out so I’ll probably look to upgrade at that time rather than replace the battery again. From what I’ve read it seems the 15 has been a bit of a mess so I will skip those. In no hurry!

I never did get a screen protector.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I have a 13 Pro Max. I've got no big complaints about it, but I would like USB C. I might upgrade next year, but these days 3-5 years is about when I'd upgrade a phone.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don’t use many apps so no real reason to upgrade. I’d say as long as batteries are available that’s the better way to go. Unless you don’t care about money then sure buy a new phone every year.

Now that I work from home I’ve almost considered ditching a cellphone and going back to dialup. Although you can’t really get an authentic landline these days and it’s voice over ip. Unfortunately a lot of shit uses a cell phone for 2FA so it may be a requirement these days.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I work from home so don't really need a nice phone. When my Samsung Sxx (whatever the equivalent of an Iphone Pro/Ultra is for Samsung) broke, I bought a $280 Samsung phone the A54 (I think). I don't play games on it (use emulator on PC for that) and I don't surf the net or use apps on it except for listening to audiobooks. It would be a colossal waste of money for me to buy anything more powerful.

The only thing that annoys me is Apple being asses about the messenger. They purposely make communicating between iPhone and Android bad for multimedia like sending images and videos. I hate Apple these days for a lot of reasons but that's the primary one. Like the USB C connector, they are finally changing their messenger to accept the world standard so videos shared between uppity "blue bubble" Apple users and Android users won't be crippled by Apple just to try and keep their walled garden. They don't change to help their users, only because they are forced to by regulation.

The other messanger thing Apple does which makes them jackasses is group chat. If you create a group chat with Apple messenger and add Android people to it, you can't add more android users to the group chat after it's been created. My college FF group is a mix of Apple/Android and it causes all sorts of problems due to Apple being asshats. There's no excuse for it. It's not "better tech" it's pure blockage of easy communication.

When Apple got caught purposely slowing old Iphones with updated IOS versions that ONLY ran slower on older phones because Apple programmed them to do that to encourage upgrades, that was the last straw for me. Fucking over their own users. They'd still be doing it if they didn't get caught. I hate their commercials. They have nothing new to say about their new iPhones so every fucking commercial says, "It's Titanium!" who gives a fuck? Since when did the metal part of a phone matter? It's the glass that breaks. "Titanium is hard to manufacture and process, mainly due to its hardness. This means it's an expensive material and it translates to the price of the final product." = WASTE OF MONEY

Plus I had two apple iphones replaced do to their batteries expanding and splitting the glass on front from the case. Apple replaced both times without saying a word to me because it's one of those things they didn't want to get attention. And I had to replace another Iphone because it had yellow spots on the screen, another known issue they didnt' say a word about replacing the phone.

I'll stick with my cheap android phone and replace it whenever I need to because I can buy three of them or 4 of them for the same cost of a high end Iphone/Samsung phone. But I get it about expensive phones. I'd be getting one as well if I didn't work from home since the start of COVID. 260 hours of commuting in traffic (10.8 full days of driving) and 8,840 miles of gas saved each year. That's worth a lot to me (The no commute/no traffic/no getting ready for work/no dealing face to face with people/no getting sick from those people at work)...plus I can get buy with a cheap phone!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've only had 1 iPhone, and have had no issue with it, so not really looking to switch. But other than an iPhone I'm not all the invested in the IOS ecosystem, either.

Messaging weirdness doesn't matter too much to me.

I'm not a fan of Android although I'm sure they work fine for what they are. I don't have much problem spending $1k on a phone if I can make it last 8-9 years.

I wouldn't bother with 'Titanium' though. Those seem especially fragile if you watch the Jerryrigseverything videos.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The only thing the cheap phone I have didnt have that I wanted was wireless charging but I fixed that by buying a wireless pad thingy you put between the case and back of the phone and plug into the USB port on bottom of phone and it's worked great for however long I've had the phone. 2 years I think.