MLS All-Stars 2 Bayern Munich 1

What do you think about the sports world?
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

MLS All-Stars 2 Bayern Munich 1

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Boog, did you see the game? And what did you think about Pep's reaction at the end of the game? I watched the whole thing and thought it was a well-played, exciting match. There were a couple hard challenges, but they did not warrant his reaction. In a regular match they would likely be normal fouls w/ a chance of yellow card. As a fan of Bayern and of Pep I was really pissed off by the lack of respect he showed our league. With or without those challenges I thought the MLS All-Stars played very well, especially for a team that barely had time to practice together. I know it wasn't the Bayern starting 11, but even their 3rd string are worth more than our All-Stars. Anyhow, as a fan of Germany, of Bayern and of MLS I thought it was great...minus the reactions of Pep and the rest of the coaches at the end.

Interested to know what you think and what you've seen of the German media reaction, etc...
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: MLS All-Stars 2 Bayern Munich 1

Post by Boogahz »

I fully respected his actions leading up to the end of the game. I understand that he did shake hands with the coach eventually when everyone left the field. He was trying for a long time to get the hard tackles addressed, and the MLS coach would do nothing. The tackle on Schweinsteiger almost made me want to get up and start yelling. Here come the "World Cup Stars" to make an appearance for the US fans. They haven't played football since the World Cup, and some had just landed in the US on game day. You can't go into tackles as hard as they were at that point and NOT expect the coach to go off. The Bundesliga is a few weeks away, and losing someone to craptastic tackles in an exhibition game, because that's all it was for Bayern, would be uncalled for. MLS needs to get back to an East v West game if they want the game to actually mean something. The talent is spread out enough now to do something like that.

Game-wise, I thought the U19 Bayern team did very well. It is nice to know that there is that much talent coming through the pipeline. That is what most of the German media has focused on, to be honest. Pep's reaction came across as justified, and the overall play of the youngsters (and returning injured like Badstuber) has been where the majority of the stories have been.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Yeah not surprised there's a difference of opinion on the German side of things. I think it's hard for some MLS players to hold back sometimes because they feel they have something to prove against European opposition. There's a sense that many Europeans are disrespectful towards the league and towards US players in general. Not saying it makes it ok to injure someone in a friendly, but they play with a bit of a chip on their shoulder.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

In perspective...Schweinsteiger is just getting back to the point where he can play after the "soft" tackles in the tour of America...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germany/ ... _TNM_ART_3
The Germany international has not featured in an official game since the World Cup, but is expected to resume squad training shortly

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola is confident that Bastian Schweinsteiger will soon be available for selection again after a spell on the sidelines due to injury.

The 30-year-old has not made a competitive appearance since the World Cup because of a knee problem picked up during the pre-season tour of America.

However, Guardiola believes the Germany international will soon be able to resume squad training and take the next step in his recovery.

"The end of the recovery process is getting nearer. I think he will soon be able to train with the team again," Guardiola said at a press conference.

"It depends on the physio and the doctor when exactly he can resume squad training. He will be able to make his comeback when he no longer feels pain."

The midfielder prematurely ended an individual training session on Tuesday for unknown reasons, but he's optimistic that he will soon be back in action.

"My situation is improving," Schweinsteiger told TZ. "I'm trying to increase the workload and intensity."
I celebrated by ordering a new Germany Home "hero" jersey customized with Basti's name and number :P