Destiny

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Destiny

Post by Funkmasterr »

Got into the alpha for this and played all night last night. This game is fucking awesome! I'll expand more later, but if you have a chance to play the alpha do it, you'll have fun.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Destiny

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It looks like Halo and Borderlands had a baby and Halo had the dominant genes.

I'll buy it at launch. I'm not a fan of alphas and betas.

Keep posting your detailed impressions.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

For starters, it's a great looking game. The character customization wasn't as extensive as some games, but you did get to a handful of options. The character models and environments - everything looks great. The particle effects from abilities, snow, dust, etc are impressive, and with all of this and a dozen other players on screen I never once lagged at all.

The alpha starts at level 3, and you start off with a quick tutorial mission after which you're free to go wherever. The content available in the alpha is split into three places: The Tower, The Crucible, and Earth.

The Tower is the social hub, and is where vendors for various things, and the guild masters (called Vanguards). The vendors here have a feature familiar to Borderlands; their inventory refreshes periodically, so if you don't find something in particular that you're looking for, you can just try back later.

The Crucible is the PVP area. In the alpha you can only play one match type, and there are two maps available. The mode is like conquest from Battlefield - there are three objectives that you need to try and capture and hold. You use all of the same gear here, so there's definitely an added layer of customization that you don't get with Battlefield type games as there are lots of armor/weapon options. You can be awarded gear after a match, and depending on how well you do you will level up your pvp rank which opens up other things from pvp specific vendors that you can buy (vehicles, armor, etc). Right away I can tell the matchmaking will need a little refining - don't get me wrong, there weren't any of the typical issues (no lag, etc) - but a few things stuck out to me that should be changed. For one, you can't stay in a lobby when a match is complete, it puts you back in a queue to search for a new one.

Earth is where all of the PVE content is. For the alpha there are two points you can drop off at, but these aren't closed off areas that aren't connected to each other, the spots on the map just serve as a drop point, and probably a way to know the level of the enemies in the area. You can get between all of these areas once you are on the ground, and the area available to you in the alpha is huge. You have a vehicle that you can use while on the ground to get around quicker, which is nice, but at least at the start it doesn't have weapons mounted on it so you need to get off to fight. There are little green markers you can find laying on the ground, and these start missions/quests. These can be something nearby or far away (it seems random), and varied in difficulty for us, too. It was nice though not having to go to a town or whatnot to get new quests. There are also events that happen in the various areas that are like FATE's in Final Fantasy, the one I've seen so far is a big ass spider robot thing that everyone in the area had 5 minutes to beat (we failed).

The skill tree's seem to work a bit different than usual. There are various sub classes, but for the alpha there is only one available to you. As you progress through levels and learn skills, the next level of each skill slowly unlocks. So eventually you will have them all, there is no choosing one over another type thing. It does also look like you can switch between three different builds, so I'm not sure how many total sub classes there will be for each class.

There are many different gear slots, and I found gear from mobs fairly often, so I upgraded quite a few times. You can easily break stuff down from your inventory into money, and there is a vault in the Tower that you have 20 slots for weapons, 20 for inventory, and 20 for armor.

Overall the game was really smooth. There are fairly long load times going between the three areas, but that's understandable. I had no lag, no disconnection issues, nothing of the sort. Myself and two of my friends joined up together in a party and did everything together - the party leader chooses where everyone goes (as far as moving between Earth, Tower, Crucible). I would've been impressed with the stability and fluidity of everything if this was the finished product, but for a game in alpha it's really impressive.

More thoughts later.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nice overview. Glad to hear it looks polished. I'm skeptical on this game so nice to have a positive first impression.

Does it seem like it would remain interesting for an extended period of time? Are the quests generic or have voice acting, story to them? No leveling right? All gear based?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not sold on this myself. I like the idea of a Borderlandsy type game although in that case there's always just playing Borderlands.

Also weird that it's considered alpha. Doesn't it release in September? 3 months from alpha to release doesn't seem like enough time.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:Nice overview. Glad to hear it looks polished. I'm skeptical on this game so nice to have a positive first impression.

Does it seem like it would remain interesting for an extended period of time? Are the quests generic or have voice acting, story to them? No leveling right? All gear based?

Yeah, there is a ton of content, I think it could have the life of an MMO if they keep adding to it. It's hard to say for 100% sure, because the content you have access to now is limited, but I'm pretty confident there will be more than enough content to give it a long life.

The quests have voice acting, and the voices are varied. You basically grab a beacon that is someone's call for help, and they then tell you what they need you to do, and will often talk again at the end of it. The quests aren't quite like they are in a typical MMO game, say you pick a quest up in X spot and complete it. You can go back to X spot again and pick up the same beacon, but it will likely be a different quest.

There is leveling, so you need to get to certain levels for gear, etc. They had some level 20 legendary gear on the Vanguards that looked really damn cool. There are also some other things that unlock at certain levels (I couldn't use my super ability until level 5, for example.)

There is a 3 man raid available during the alpha, my buddies and I are going to give that a go tonight.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

First Hour:Destiny

Seems a bit slow paced with the crazy load times at least when it comes to moving between the three main areas.

For me it would have to come down to how much PVE content there is since I'm not a big multiplayer person. Spawn.. Shoot.. die.. respawn.. repeat.. Just not really my thing.

Definitely is Peter Dinklage voicing though which sounds a bit odd.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:First Hour:Destiny

Seems a bit slow paced with the crazy load times at least when it comes to moving between the three main areas.

For me it would have to come down to how much PVE content there is since I'm not a big multiplayer person. Spawn.. Shoot.. die.. respawn.. repeat.. Just not really my thing.

Definitely is Peter Dinklage voicing though which sounds a bit odd.
There is a shit ton of PVE content. You could play this game for a loooong time without ever touching the multiplayer. The load times do suck, but it's understandable when you consider the size of the areas being loaded.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Amazon sent me an alpha code for some reason. Popular theory seems to be those who preordered a PS4. I spent maybe 6 hours or so with it and got to level 8 which is the max level for the alpha. Still not sure what to make of this game!

Few negatives:

- Music is not adjustable. Hopefully this will actually be adjustable in the released version. But when you get in an 'event' the music starts getting crazy loud. I'd like it lower in the mix.
- FoV is not adjustable. Hopefully this too will be adjustable in the release version.
- Aim assist is sorely missed with the controller.
- No ammo or health anywhere that I can tell other than from enemies that drop ammo at times.
- Respawns are a bit annoying. Except when you're low on ammo. Then they aren't quick enough.
- Still seems slow paced to me. The world doesn't seem 'alive' however maybe with release and more areas open this will improve.

Comabt doesn't quite feel right to me but that's from coming off playing 150+ hours of Borderlands recently. I've never played Halo so not sure the feel of combat is similar.

Also not sure how the 'multiplayer' stuff works. Sometimes you'll see another person but then they disappear after awhile. Not sure if they just went to orbit or if you only see people if they're in the same area.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: -The world doesn't seem 'alive' however maybe with release and more areas open this will improve.
That's the impression I got from watching game play footage. It doesn't feel like there's a purpose. Seems to be missing interesting lore. The graphics looked pretty bland. The multiplayer zone I've been seeing is brown/rust themed which I hate.

I'm watching twitch streams and it looks like a fast paced Halo type game. People die, respawn, die, respawn.

Watched some PvE. Don't think it will be a game for me. Little too fast paced. Borderlands is more my speed.

Looks like will be good for those that like Halo type combat although Halo's atmosphere,weapons, vehicles, etc appear to be more entertaining from the little I'Ve seen.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Beta starts in a few days! I am not sure if I'm going to bother since I think I'm going to get the actual game once it's released. No sense spoiling a chunk of the story in the meantime. I was interested in the limited edition but it's sold out. At least on the PS4. It's still available for the XBO.

For anyone who really wants to try it... Just pre-order Destiny to get the code then try it out. If you don't like it just cancel the pre-prder. It doesn't cost you anything!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I'll definitely be playing. Each beta code actually gets you three, so I'll likely have a couple extras.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The best part about the beta is reading the forums and watching the Xbox Bungie fanboys whine because they didn't get to play the Alpha, get less time in the Beta and are on the shitty end of some timed DLC. They're acting like the fucking world is ending. It's great.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

As far as the Beta itself goes, I'm disappointed. It's almost identical to the Alpha, which makes it basically a demo for them to use as a stress test, not a Beta. Got to level cap in the Beta in like 3 hours last night, and frankly I don't really care to go look at the other content I haven't seen yet if I can't progress while I do so.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Rumor of Beta charactr progress crossing over to live has me interested. That won't happen though. Damn rumors!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Level-capping in betas when higher level content is actually available has never made sense to me.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Rumor of Beta charactr progress crossing over to live has me interested. That won't happen though. Damn rumors!
It's fairly common for that to happen, and in this case I wouldn't be surprised. That being said, you can get to the beta level cap in about 2-3 hours, so it's not worth it solely for that reason.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Is it still level 8 like in Alpha? If so yeah I probably wont bother much with the beta and just wait for release. I think I made it to 6 or something yesterday in a couple hours.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Is the game actually fun though? Does it feel like it will keep your attention more than a couple days?

All I saw on the Alpha streams was PvP where people died and respawns about every 30-60 seconds which doesn't appeal to me at all.

-Is the story any good

-does the loot/level system seem rewarding

-is it more than just a HALO shooter, because if not, the Halo Anniversary release would be the better choice for PvP.

Good games have interesting characters and campaigns that make them interesting. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any of that with Destiny. It looks like a twitch shooter and just mad chaos in combat. Die 1000 times and respawn instantly.

I pulled up another Twitch stream and I'm seeing the same FPS game with rust colored environment (so tired of browns/rust look in FPS games) with everyone spraying bullets all over the place. The "cut scene" of some ship and intro to the zone has some incredibly bad, monotone voice talking.

I did see a little of a "city" hub which seems pretty lifeless with lifeless (not much in the way of animations) NPCs that talk like robots. Soundtrack seems pretty bad too. Has that "Halo" feel to it that, you know, has already been done in Halo. The "speeders" have the same annoying whine to them as the Pod Racers in the bad second set of Star Wars movies. yuk.

Loading screens while you watch the ships seems super long and boring which you'll tire of after the first time if not during the very first time you see it.

At least from the alpha/beta streams, I'm not seeing anything that would make me want to play it. With all the zombie, end of the world MMOs, etc out that have broken down rusty looking environments, Destiny should have tried something different that the same brownish looking rusted look. (see Mass Effect for reference as what cool futuristic environment look like) What I saw could have been a call of Duty map with a few tweaks to take out the few things that look futuristic.

Warframe actually looks more fun/interesting than this.

UI while on the sterile side, looks decent.

So far Destiny could be described as a functional FPS game with close to zero flare/story and below average narration/voice acting.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Is it still level 8 like in Alpha? If so yeah I probably wont bother much with the beta and just wait for release. I think I made it to 6 or something yesterday in a couple hours.
Yep, still level 8. There is speculation that they are going to bump it up when Xbox beta starts, but we'll see.

Winnow, I'd say you're mostly wrong. Not that this should be a surprise since you're basing it off of a couple of minutes of videos you watched.

Anyhow, there are more than just the types of environments you mention. In the beta alone there are some more snowy, forest, etc - it's just that the beta takes place in a very small section of the game. PVP is fast paced FPS type game, but the PVP is only a small fraction of what you can do in the game, and honestly you could skip it entirely and have plenty to do.

The story seems at least decent, it's hard to say because you only get to do the first 5 story missions in the beta. The voice acting is improved, there are a ton of cutscenes, etc - all of which wasn't in the alpha build.

Yes the loot and leveling system is rewarding. Although it's hard to gauge how much so as everything is somewhat bland in the lower levels just like an MMO. It looks like there will be three sub classes for each class, not sure how exactly it will work as you can't unlock the first until level 15.

There is plenty of variety in what you can do:
-Story missions/quests
-Free roam, which includes plenty of misc fetch type quests you can pick up around most areas.
-Strike missions- basically raids. There is only one available in the beta, but it's pretty challenging and definitely fun. The boss gave us a pretty hard time.
-PvP - there are four different factions from what I can tell, and as you do more of the pvp you level the faction you choose up and can unlock gear to purchase from them.
-Random events - think FATE's in A Realm Reborn or the public events in Guild Wars 2 (can't recall their name). Anything from elite mobs to massive enemies can randomly show up in an area, and from what I've seen you typically have 5 minutes to take them down. I've been around for maybe 5 so far in the beta, and only beat one, but damn did I feel like we actually accomplished something when we took that sob down. For these you get money/items, and also what looks to be a currency somewhat similar to currency in MMOs that you would use for high end gear.

There looks to be a fair amount of customization (but most of it is locked out in the beta). You can upgrade weapons/gear with stat boosts and new abilities the more you use them. You can buy different ships/land vehicles (you can also use your own land vehicle in PvP) - you can customize most gear with emblems/die.

The population of areas (including the city - Tower) has been hit or miss, which I think is more of a tuning issue with how people are grouped together. Most of the time though when I've been in the city I've been in a full instance of it (probably 30ish people?).

I think the game has promise, as long as there is plenty of content to keep people busy until the first expansion/DLC. It seems like there probably is but the beta is so restrictive that it's hard to say for sure.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:Level-capping in betas when higher level content is actually available has never made sense to me.
Yep. Exactly.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Is the game actually fun though? Does it feel like it will keep your attention more than a couple days?
Why not try it for yourself? You could have pre-ordered the PS4 version, got a beta code, then cancelled the pre-order. That's not any more shady than downloading PS3 games!

You probably can still do that far as I know.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:Is the game actually fun though? Does it feel like it will keep your attention more than a couple days?
Why not try it for yourself? You could have pre-ordered the PS4 version, got a beta code, then cancelled the pre-order. That's not any more shady than downloading PS3 games!

You probably can still do that far as I know.

I'll wait. Having a hard time convincing myself to even download the Xbox One beta when it's available. I'm not entirely bashing the game but it's not the type of game I like so other things like story, environment, etc make more of a difference in grabbing my attention which, from the alpha/beta, so far hasn't. In a first person shooter, it takes a lot of style points to grab my attention. Games like Mass Effect and Borderlands 1/2 do that.

This game seems like a straight up shooter with no lore (or boring lore)

Funk, I did see the snow areas. You've played Mass Effect games. The atmosphere, voice acting, story, great cut scenes, varied environments, etc are leagues above what I see in Destiny. It seems to lack a soul. Borderlands has flare out the wazoo, awesome art style, and great boss mobs. Mass Effect is epic. What does Destiny bring to the table? Games like Halo have legendary characters that anyone would know their name, like Master Chief. (Even that dude in Uncharted, people would recognize his name). Destiny needs something like that. Any of that.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You'll wait.. Yet still comment on it in the meantime. Seems like a good way to go!

No reason to wait since PS4 is the superior platform. Why get it on XBO? Makes no sense.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Was hoping someone had something to confirm it was a fun game beyond what I've seen.

Comment from Kotoku about soundtrack being good:
Sadly, it's the only thing about the game (at least the Beta) that's any good at all. Which may be why it's distracting. It's the only element worth noticing. This really, really feels like an MMO to me. And I'm sure anyone who buys it will be paying for it like it's an MMO (plus the $60 launch price and mandatory PSN or Live). Already the first two expansions are bundled for a "discounted" $35. Of course level caps (which start at 20) will also cost $$$ to raise. The game also looks worse than much of last-gen and runs at sub-30 FPS on the PS4. But yes, the soundtrack is excellent. Probably why Bungie fired the guy behind it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah. Because I get all my opinions from Kotaku comments.

And lol if it runs "sub-30 FPS on the PS4" I hate to see how it runs on the XBO!

And seriously " The game also looks worse than much of last-gen"? That person is simply fuckin retarded. You're not helping your case by quoting that dipshit. Obviously it's some MS fanatic who has a bee up their ass about PlayStation getting exclusive content for a year. Play the game and come up with your own opinions instead of listening to some internet dumbass.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:... instead of listening to some internet dumbass.
*muffled laughter*
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, garbage comment. Also, there's been no confirmation on level cap. I really doubt it's 20.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

At various events throughout 2013, Bungie dispersed these trading cards to select international audiences. The cards feature detailed descriptions and concept art for various locations, characters and weapons, as well as codes that can be redeemed on Bungie.net.

Bungie has said that the rewards for redeeming each code will be small, in game content, though they won't specify what the content is until closer to the release date. There are 17 codes to redeem online.

Type them in on the Bungie code redemption page to redeem them on your Bungie account. Below are are all of the known trading cards and their respective codes. These codes can be used by anyone on any platform.

CARD CODE
Warlock YKA-RJG-MH9
Hunter 3DA-P4X-F6A
Titan MVD-4N3-NKH
Rixis TCN-HCD-TGY
Old Russia HDX-ALM-V4K
Hive 473-MXR-3X9
Moon JMR-LFN-4A3
Gjallorhorn Launcher HC3-H44-DKC
Duke Mk. 44 69P-KRM-JJA
The Tower 69P-VCH-337
Hive Ogre 69R-CKD-X7L
Valley of the Kings 69R-DDD-FCP
The Fallen 69R-F99-AXG
Red Death 69R-VL7-J6A
The Cabal 69X-DJN-74V
The Devastated Coast 6A7-7NP-3X7
Vex Minotaur 6A9-DTG-YGN
Sorry on formatting. Can find original article here

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Thanks!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Apparently at 2PM PST this coming Saturday, there will be some kind of reward you will get that will carry over into the final product. I'm not sure the window of time it will be available in, all they've said is the start time.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:Apparently at 2PM PST this coming Saturday, there will be some kind of reward you will get that will carry over into the final product. I'm not sure the window of time it will be available in, all they've said is the start time.
Hmmmm. If you have a PS4 Beta code sitting around, I'll take it! PM me!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

L3g10NsL3gACy: Will anything in the Beta change after the two days of maintenance or the dates of the Beta after the 22nd?

Yes - especially on the 26th. You want to be there for that day. Report for Beta testing duty at 2PM Pacific. Your rewards will be handsome and permanent.
Handsome AND permanent!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Beta is back up early, btw.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If you're not wearing Dockers you're just wearing pants.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

but are they handsome and permanent pants?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not that I'm playing it, but Destiny Beta went up a day early on Xbox One.

Xbox One: the anti-delay console!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

And also came back a day earlier than planned on PS3/PS4 so... Yeah!

It had nothing to do with any specific console. They had two days maintenance downtime scheduled and apparently only needed one.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:And also came back a day earlier than planned on PS3/PS4 so... Yeah!

It had nothing to do with any specific console. They had two days maintenance downtime scheduled and apparently only needed one.

Shorter delays. Nice. They should have announced a week maintenance delay and fans would have been even more ecstatic!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Beta open to all now. Assuming you have PS+ or Live Gold.
Bungie has just announced that the Destiny beta is now available to everyone with an Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus membership.

If you were holding out — or never part of the lucky few with a beta code — now’s your chance to shoot or be shot in Bungie’s newest sci-fi universe.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tried it out on the Xbox One.

Positives:

-game mechanics are sound
-UI is nice
-polished graphics

Negatives

-boring generic story

The narrator and every NPC could put an ADD kid to sleep within a minute with their monotone voices. "The darkness" really? I cracked up when one of the first NPC guys says something like "beware of the power of the darkside darkness", I'm not sure if it's possible for them to steal any more beeps, clicks and whistles from Star Wars. Already mentioned the pod racer sounds but now that I've played it, all the droids, etc have a star wars sound to them.

-ship sitting in space.

I don't get the ship in space screen. It takes for fucking ever to load a zone in this game so they should go back to the "Tower" after you leave an area instead of wasting an extra load on the useless ship screen. Just pull up a map from the Tower and select where you want to go.

-less fancy artwork backdrops, more unique looking local terrain.

The skies and distant paintings look nice but the local stuff (ugly rusty russia) looks like a higher res doom game.

-lifeless

I'm not sure if I was supposed to see more than like one or two people in the city "Tower". If you look over the edge there's a nice painting of a big city but the little area you run around in isn't very interesting.

-------------

It's a competent shooter. Might be fun to Co-Op with a friend through the content. The beta content does nothing to grab my attention. Honestly, Warframe is more fun (free on PS4 and also Xbox One I think) if you haven't played it yet. Cooler classes, powers and fun co-op.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Q. Do I get something cool for playing the Destiny Beta?

Yup! Play the Destiny Beta on Saturday, July 26th, beginning at 2PM PDT, to earn an exclusive emblem for the retail version of Destiny.
I am mot sure if the emblem is Handome but it is Permanent. I wont cry if I miss out on that but I'm sure I'll probably log in for a few minutes anyway while doing other things.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Somehow completely missed that this was on the PS3 as well. Signed up and downloaded last night, and I will have to remember to log in today :P
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

They are also opening up the mission on the moon from 2-4PST.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I played for 2-3 hours before I had to leave for vacation but by and large, I was left really unimpressed with the game.

It borrows from Borderlands, Halo and Mass Effect but loses what made each of these great in translation.

I didn't really follow any of the preview content however I don't get what all the hype is about.

I'm wondering if the MMO'ish feel of it is what's turning me off from the game.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Weird how all the Xbox people are "unimpressed" by the game. Although maybe not that weird.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I had a blast with it. I think it has its own feel, but also keep in mind the beta just scratched the very beginning if the story and the content.

I played through the moon mission once, then went back and explored. There is a massive area underground, and I eventually reached the end where I'm guessing a raids area or story mission goes and the door was closed. It was really cool, I'm definitely excited for the full game.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:Weird how all the Xbox people are "unimpressed" by the game. Although maybe not that weird.
Not at all. A lot of the people I was talking to for the few hours I was home really enjoyed it.

Most likely just not for me personally.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

-The story is below average when compared to AAA games like Borderlands, Mass Effect, etc

-The voice acting is below average when compared to almost anything (SWTOR, Mass Effect, Borderlands)

-Distant graphics (skies, horizon) are good, rest of graphics are average.

-Avatars are acceptable (ugly faces), but mostly have robot (faceless) or wearing helmets looks to them, which is boring

The game borrows some aspects from Borderlands and Halo, etc but doesn't put them all together very well due to almost zero story and personality to it...just droning NPC voices with no emotion.

Recall the opening scenes of Borderlands and Mass Effect. The opening scene in Borderlands riding the bus is legendary good (artistic style, voice acting, cinematics, story). Mass Effect's opening (1 and 2) are awe inspiring and get you into the game. Think of all the interesting characters in Borderlands and Mass Effect. Now think of the zero interesting characters in Destiny. It's a problem. Having the mechanics in place for the game are fine but it has nothing else to back it up to maintain interest. Boss battles in Borderlands? Memorable. Cool unique powers for classes in Mass Effect? Check.

Destiny is like a tech demo. Now that the game mechanics are demonstrated, they need to make an actual game around it. Who could possibly be inspired by one of the most boring early cut scenes where some robot you have no idea is, goes on about "the darkness". Rip off lines from "the dark side" and "The darkness" as a threat inspires nothing. Destiny lacks flare, lacks uniqueness and not much motivation to play the game except to increase your character's stats while with other quality games, you want to advance because the characters and story are interesting. It's a competent shooter you will soon forget whenever you stop playing it.