World Cup 2014

What do you think about the sports world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by Winnow »

I'm impressed with the reduction in fake injuries and flops in professional Soccer...at least at the World Cup. That shit was ridiculous over the past decade.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I guess you haven't watched a match with Japan in it yet! hahaha They were the worst so far.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:I can't wait for the big pillow fight! Every single soccer player is concerned about their hair.

It''s pouring down rain so all of their hair styles are messed up! Not sure who that favors.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Not sure how this gif will display. Tim Howard's saves against Belgium

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What a drubbing! Makes me feel better about the USA's performance vs Germany.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/five-aside/77 ... al-history
Germany's remarkable opening half-hour gave them a 5-0 lead against Brazil and made history in a number of ways -- as did Brazil's defeat. A look at the top facts from Tuesday's 7-1 semifinal:

High-flying Germany

• By scoring Germany's second goal, Miroslav Klose became the most prolific goal scorer in World Cup history. Klose now has 16 World Cup goals in his career, breaking a tie with Brazil's Ronaldo.

• Germany scored five goals in the first 29 minutes, the fastest any team has scored five goals in any game in World Cup history. Yugoslavia scored five in 30 minutes against Zaire in 1974.

• Germany are the first team to score five goals in the first half of any World Cup game since Poland against Haiti in 1974 (Yugoslavia scored six against Zaire in the first half one day earlier), and the first in a knockout-stage game since Austria beat Switzerland in 1954.

• Germany's seven goals broke a record for most scored in a semifinal, previously at six, held by Uruguay and Argentina in 1930, and West Germany in 1954. No one had even scored five in a semi since Brazil beat France 5-2 in 1958.

• The six-goal margin of victory also broke the record of five in World Cup semifinals.

• Germany are now the all-time top scoring team in World Cup history with 223 goals. They passed Brazil at 220 in the first half.

• Germany have taken a 5-0 lead three previous times in the World Cup -- against Saudi Arabia in 2002 (8-0 final), Mexico in 1978 (6-0) and Switzerland in 1966 (5-0).

• Germany reached the World Cup final for the eighth time, more times than any other country.

• Thomas Muller is the 13th player to score 10 career World Cup goals, and the second player to score five goals at consecutive World Cups after Klose in 2002 and 2006.

Grounded Brazil

• Brazil's six-goal defeat equals their worst loss in team history -- 6-0 to Uruguay in the 1920 Copa America.

• Brazil had not allowed five goals in an entire World Cup since 1998. They allowed four in five matches in 2010, two in five matches in 2006, and four in seven matches in 2002.

• Brazil had never before trailed by four goals in any World Cup match. That's 102 previous matches.

• Brazil have allowed five goals in official games just eight times -- six in 1940 or earlier, and twice in 1963. Six goals? Not since 1940. Seven? Not since an 8-4 friendly defeat to Yugoslavia in 1934.

• The previous worst defeats for a host nation at a World Cup were by three goals -- South Africa's 3-0 loss to Uruguay in 2010, Mexico's 4-1 loss to Italy in 1970 and Sweden's 5-2 loss to Brazil in the 1958 final.

• Brazil lost at home in a competitive match for the first time since the 1975 Copa America to Peru -- a period of 63 games.

• The last time Brazil lost a World Cup match at home was the 1950 final, which caused the team to change its kit.
Maybe it's time to go back to their all white kit.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

kinda funny,

I get asked about the flopping by friends and customers all the time since they know I love soccer. It is the one thing, more then any other that haters of the sport mention.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-di ... 28558.html
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

There definitely is plenty of flopping in soccer, but a lot of folks who don't follow soccer seem to not understand that when running at full-speed even small contact can cause you to fly through the air, tumble over, etc. You don't have to be NFL tackled by a 250 lb man to be brought down or get injured.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, and even American football has rules against taking out another player's legs in many situations
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Boogahz wrote:yeah, and even American football has rules against taking out another player's legs in many situations
Don't get me wrong, played the sport for 30+ years. I even used flopping to my advantage on occasion. I just hate the rolling around on the ground after. You got the foul just get up and dust off. Even if they got up slowly and leaned over it would be better then thrashing like they were shot then getting up and sprinting forward.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Grats Boog! The Ubermenchen win!

...nazis
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

God I am glad that didn't go to penalties. I have faith in Manuel Neuer, but penalties suck for games at that level.

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fußballgott!

Actual image:

Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

That dude was on the mat so much during the extra time, it was almost sad! I thought he was flopping on the that face scratch, because at speed, it looked like nothing, but then he got up and I was like wow. Now I'm thinking when he was on the ground rolling around that he was tearing it open!

Either way, better team won. Both teams had great chances and squandered them...but damn that goal was as fine as they get in futball.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »