Star Citizen

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Star Citizen

Post by Winnow »

First public demo of in-game action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xyd7AV3_A8&hd=1

This game is in pre-alpha but looks amazing for space combat. Love the Heads Up Display controls in the ship and the attention to detail. Thrusters, etc all fully detailed and functional on the outside of the ship.

The guy demoing it sucks but give it a chance to get into space. Cool targeting system and physics.

This game has already announced support for the Oculus Rift. It's going to be an intense experience when that happens. If it can manage to throw in decent non combat functionality like trading, mining, etc, EVE will finally start losing some hardcore players. For me, it has to have decent PVE as I suck at PVP.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Star Citizen

Post by Canelek »

Interesting. My money game would be a Wing Commander Privateer game (without all the bugs) from the 90s. That game was cool as shit.

I couldn't watch the video very long due to the horrid demo and the crowd noise irritated me before I could mute it... why are they fucking cheering????? Gahhhh
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Interesting. My money game would be a Wing Commander Privateer game (without all the bugs) from the 90s. That game was cool as shit.

I couldn't watch the video very long due to the horrid demo and the crowd noise irritated me before I could mute it... why are they fucking cheering????? Gahhhh
They're at a game conference cheering for a game in it's very early stages that many in the crowd probably have helped fund. The game has passed $42 Million in funding on kickstarter. What's wrong with cheering for a game you are looking forward to? People are too cynical and negative these days.

Looks pretty fucking cool to me.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Canelek wrote:Interesting. My money game would be a Wing Commander Privateer game (without all the bugs) from the 90s. That game was cool as shit.

Well Star Citizen IS from Chris Roberts... The same guy who did Wing Commander so... I'm not really sure what I'm saying right now. Figure it out!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Ah. I posted before reading about the kickstart origins. And yes, this may be a good game for me if I remember it in a year. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I mentioned on the games deal thread that $20 packages were offered today that included starter ship, beta access, 2 years ship insurance, and the final digital game when it's released. They sold out before I woke up though.

BTW, Star Citizen is making assloads of money. They sold 500 Javelin Destroyer ships today at $1,000 a pop in SECONDS making half a million $$. They have about $66 million in pledge backed funds. They are releasing another sought after ship later today for $345 each that will get them a minimum of another half a million $$. Some of the draw to these first concept ship releases (meaning the ship isn't even completed yet) is that you get LTI (lifetime insurance) for these initial ship releases. As part of the game, you'll have a monthly insurance payments so when your ship gets blown up, you don't lose buckets of time/money like in EVE where your ship being a total loss, including implants. LTI means you never have to pay the insurance, at least for your base ship.

I bought the Herald with LTI a few weeks ago. As with anything you buy, you can "melt" your ship and get store credits to buy anything else that comes along or another existing ship/package. That ship (not a package) was $85. The draw was the lifetime insurance and also that Star Citizen allows for "cross chassis" upgrades to other ships which also transfers your LTI to the new ship. New ships typically are offered initially for one week with LTI and then taken off the market, later to be re-introduced for the same price without LTI.

I've spent thousands of dollars on EVE and the WWII combat games. Not sure why but they get my money in bucketloads. I regret just a little the $$ I spent in EVE as I got totally wrapped up in the spreadsheets, as I like the crunch numbers, and ignored that the game really wasn't any fun no matter what you configured as your ship/job.

The Herald is a specialized small ship, very fast, with lots of communication capabilities and one of the cheapest ships with a jump drive (that's why there's a bed!). It's designed to be a data runner.
The Drake Herald is a small, armored ship designed to safely get information from Point A to Point B. Featuring a powerful central engine (for high speed transit and generating the power needed for effective data encryption/containment), advanced encryption software and an armored computer core, theHerald is unique among personal spacecraft in that it is designed to be easily ‘cleaned’ when in danger of capture.

Carrack (three images above) is a much larger ship with 5 person crew and includes a rover as well as a small ship that can dock inside of it. Ships that have more than one crew member can be either made up of players or NPCs. So in this ship you could solo it, or have up to four friends playing, piloting it, manning the rover, the smaller ship, manning gun turrets, and navigation/scanning equipment. With repair and medical bays, it's pretty self sufficient and that's what I like.

I'll probably buy a Carrack in Star Citizen later today or this week for $350 that includes LTI, melting my $85 Herald to pay for part of it. It's a larger ship designed for exploration. Its inspiration comes from the Prometheus ship from Aliens as well as Voyager from the Trek Verse. It was just introduced today so the LTI initial offer will be around for about a week.
The Anvil Carrack features reinforced fuel tanks for long-duration flight, an advanced jump drive, and a dedicated computer core for jump charting operations. Originally a military exclusive, the Carrack is now available for civilian use. On-board accommodations include crew medical and repair facilities, and a mapping-oriented sensor suite.
I'm still concerned about their ability to deliver a fun game. Good news is you'll be able to play for for as little as $45 for the entire game and beta access if you decide to try it. Everything can be earned in the game, including all of these expensive ships and unlike EVE, you don't have to spend 4 or 5 real life years gaining skill points required to pilot larger ships.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Now with 100% more pets!

I do enjoy hearing all the complainers though. More Delays! More feature creep! Vaporware Fraud!

People are idiots.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

The huge amount of money this game continues to get without even being released makes me feel like a real letdown is coming.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:The huge amount of money this game continues to get without even being released makes me feel like a real letdown is coming.
I'm just happy it's primarily a PvE game instead of PvP. EVE sucked because you were constantly stressed about assholes other players killing you as you tried to explore and if you did die, you lost monster amounts of time and equipment. Not really that fun. This game will have plenty of opportunity for PvP but 9/10 ships etc encountered will be NPCs.

The FPS portion of the game seems to be coming along nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cir3w-wIx9U

While it's not the primary draw for a Space Sim, the FPS looks well done and high quality. The second part where they show Zero G combat looks like fun. (around the 7:00 minute mark)

Unlike EVE where you did jack shit in first person, in Star Citizen you're first person everywhere. I'm looking forward to landing on planets and exploring them.

"Potentially" this can be an awesome game. I expect it to be mostly ready sometime in 2016. It's a good thing they're releasing the game in modules so you will be able to do things even with the entire game not available. I haven't tried dog fighting yet.

Here's an excellent 10 minute video demonstrating what to expect out of entering orbit and landing on a planet and what you can do once you land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7-CezMH2co

Above is early stages but looks high quality. The key is if they can put all of their ideas and promises together. They have a long ways to go for the final product.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here is a lengthy article about healing injuries:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... r-Spacemen

Makes me feel better that the Carrak has an onboard medical facility!

Another lengthy article about the death mechanic: (and a little about initial character creation)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... A-Spaceman

I like it. It takes multiple deaths for you to finally actually perma die in the game but you may end up walking around with a synthetic arm if your arm got blown off etc. Eventually when you die, your skills and possessions are forwarded to whoever you chose (NPC) that you then takeover as your new character. Faction, etc remains the same but diminished slightly.

Both articles are well worth the read. Looks like they are putting quite a bit of thought into the details.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a scale chart of the ships currently available.

The Carrack is the middle back big ship. The Herald I had is the far right ship in the third row from the front.

http://i.imgur.com/4MmAjsa.jpg

Link images since it's big. There's little human figures standing next to the ships for scale.

A sense of scale for the Carrack's bridge:

http://i.imgur.com/M4AAiRJ.jpg
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Taking forever to come together but this latest 50 minute demo looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucYhhLwIxg

The seemless transitions from space to surface to inside structures is really impressive. I can understand why this is taking so long with the scope and amount of detail.

Still needs to be populated with more NPCs but the demo of a mission in this video shows lots of promise. While EVE could never accomplish anything but show the outside of ships, it looks like Star Citizen will be awesome for space sim lovers. I still have my Carrack I purchased back in 2014 waiting to play maybe next year!

For scale purposes, the Carrack I have is the middle of the three big ships while the Freelancer used in this demo is the smaller ship to the front right of it between the Carrack and the other big ship on the left side of the picture.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I watched some of those videos - the game does look pretty neat. I might have to plan on building a new computer before it comes out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:I watched some of those videos - the game does look pretty neat. I might have to plan on building a new computer before it comes out.
It will be pretty cheap to get into as well. Despite all of these expensive pledge ships being purchased, you can actually get into the game for as little as $35.00 for the game and a starter type ship. All of those expensive ships can be earned within the game eventually.

Speculation is that 3.0 will be out in December (with content similar to the video I linked)

Since I own a large ship which is rumored to be getting a size increase on top of that before it's finalized, I'm curious how much NPC crews will be to run it. I want to explore solo most of the time but want the cargo space to haul stuff etc.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I watched some of those videos - the game does look pretty neat. I might have to plan on building a new computer before it comes out.
It will be pretty cheap to get into as well. Despite all of these expensive pledge ships being purchased, you can actually get into the game for as little as $35.00 for the game and a starter type ship. All of those expensive ships can be earned within the game eventually.

Speculation is that 3.0 will be out in December (with content similar to the video I linked)

Since I own a large ship which is rumored to be getting a size increase on top of that before it's finalized, I'm curious how much NPC crews will be to run it. I want to explore solo most of the time but want the cargo space to haul stuff etc.

I'll have to look into the info about how the game works a bit more. Regarding your comment about cost to man the ship - is there some kind of way to dump real money into the game for funds, or are you just not going to be able to get around until you play a bit and get some in game currency?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
I'll have to look into the info about how the game works a bit more. Regarding your comment about cost to man the ship - is there some kind of way to dump real money into the game for funds, or are you just not going to be able to get around until you play a bit and get some in game currency?
No one is anticipating it being difficult to keep ships crewed.

Regarding the economy, here's more info that anyone probably wants to know about it:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.c ... employment

A little more complex than the Dynamic Resonators in No Man's Sky!\

Some other info:
Items and Loot

Most items in the game will come from the manufacturing system/supply chain.
There will not be traditional loot drops or loot tables as found in many MMOs.
We will be able to salvage some items from destroyed ships, if they survive the explosion.
Intact ships can be boarded and looted.
Unique items can be found in the universe, from bosses and other sources.
NPCs are unique and will disappear from the world when killed, they can't be 'farmed'.

Population

Each star system will be made up of NPCs and players.
The player population will be about 10% of the NPC population.
When a player enters the system, they take the place of an NPC.
NPCs are living, working, trading, pirating, manufacturing, etc., just as a player would do.
Players will not be able to spike the economy, the number of NPCs working and trading will help keep things in check.
There will always be a market, even if players aren't currently filling it.
NPC activity that isn't visible to the players is simulated in the background.

Production

"Crafting" (manufacturing) in Star Citizen has been compared to SimCity's system.
There is a planned companion app to help manage production when not logged into the actual game.
The production process consists of getting the proper equipment, gathering materials, refining materials, producing goods, transporting goods, improving basic goods (performance tuning), and selling goods.
Factories and storefronts on planets can be owned by players.
Factories can consist of multiple production nodes.
Production nodes are specific to a certain type of item, such as a laser or lumber.
Refining can be done on board ships as well as at factories.
Production quality is potentially impacted by employee happiness.
Economy-generating missions are spawned based on the demands of the supply chain, including piracy.
At each step in the process an NPC will fill the role if a player is not available.
Production is turn-based. You will need the proper grade of electronics, materials, and a certain amount of workers to produce x amount of items per turn. Factories will create an order for whatever they're missing. The orders will go to the mission boards. AI will fill the order if a player doesn't.
If your factory is doing well, purchasing more machines will attract more employees and the population of that planet will actually grow as a result.
"If you go to a factory and the AI has bought all the missiles, there are no more missiles for purchase that turn. Now, of course, if nobody's buying any missiles, there's a big inventory. First of all, the price of missiles would go down, but then also that factory is going to be running at a loss, and so maybe it starts to lay off some of its people."
Factory mismanagement will lead to unemployment and unhappiness, which will cause increased crime and piracy in a star system..

Resource Gathering

Mining and Salvaging combine exploration, skill, and logistics.
Spaceborne gases can be collected from gas giants and extrasolar sources and refined into fuel.
There are 3 types of fuel: basic, boost and quantum.
Larger ships are capable of tractoring in spaceborne junk and asteroids.

Money Sinks

Fees & taxes (docking, hangar rental, insurance), fuel, medical bills, repairs/upkeep, ammunition, wages (hired NPCs)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I think the Reclaimer may be the next ship I pick up. Above picture gives idea of its size. It's a salvage ship which sounds like a fun thing to do.

Kind of depends on how well NPC crews function though. The Carrack I already have covers deep space exploration (Firefly-Serenity/Star Trek-Enterprise) type ship.

The Banu Merchatman might be my choice if I decide to focus more on trade/cargo. It's an alien ship so kinda of nice for a change in both interior and exterior. It's also designed for business/sales to be conducted on board as opposed to the large cargo haulers like Hull C,D, and E:

Just hauling stuff I don't think would be as interesting.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This whole video is pretty good showing an example of current Star Citizen 2.5 alpha game play but the last 5 minutes is cool. They reach an objective and have to spacewalk out to an objective but someone tries to steal their ship.

https://youtu.be/JOqAu1YKxXQ?t=17m19s

I bookmarked the part at the end.

The earlier part of the video talks about multiplaying in a single ship. Each of the seats have their own displays. Someone can be in charge of the shield for example and divert power from weapons to shield or to thrust depending on real time things taking place. This allows the pilot to concentrate on flying while someone else is in the top turret fully concentrating on shooting enemy ships.

Still alpha but coming together nicely.

What's so cool about Star Citizen is everything is to scale. Watch as they exit the ship and look back at it. Also, when you have cargo, you actually fit that cargo into your ship. Pick it up and place it there. If you can stuff a small ATV or small ship in your cargo you bay, you can haul it.

Cool stuff about cargo:

If affects the performance of your ship
smaller item you can carry yourself onboard. Larger stuff you'll need to be using cargo drones, etc to help.
get in a really bad situation, jettison your cargo to escape

Even if you throw your cargo haphazardly into your ship, you will still have a cargo manifest screen to track it, showing each cargo container on board and also the contents inside each container:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/medi ... n-Copy.jpg

In the picture above it's showing the contents of a container. You don't necessarily just buy containers of stuff. If you want to haul a bunch of weapons, cram as many as you can into one of the cargo containers. You can view the contents of the container using the manifesto interface pictured above.

Trade/cargo/etc is going to be on a whole new level with Star Citizen. You won't just land at station, pull up a buy/sell screen and then be on your way.

In the recent demo video, if you watched it, it shows the players carrying the loot they found on board. I think it's going to give a lot more sense of immersion as you'll have more interest in your cargo as opposed to just seeing numbers flash across a screen at each station or place you land/dock.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a better example of cargo. This shows cargo stacking in a Freelancer:

https://gfycat.com/DevotedFixedDrake

There will be two ways to load your cargo. At a spaceport or other facility, you can use an interface to buy/sell and organize your cargo without having to manually set the individual cargo items. There will also be freeform loading for when you're out exploring and need to manually load up your ship with items.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Some Star Citizen visuals with the late great Carl Sagan narrating in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMXazaLc3Cc
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Star Citizen is though of primarily as a space simulator with spaceships but the attention to detail in all aspects of the game is impressive.

I bookmarked a part of this video that shows the detail and facial animations for player characters in Star Citizen:

https://youtu.be/vQsgKBaYKoo?t=2m8s

The whole video is interesting visually but the attention to detail down to the teeth is a great example of the level of work being put into all part of the game.

A lot of attention to immersion as well. Below is how it looks after your ship gets hit. (Starfarer I think in this case)

http://imgur.com/XUPgVTB

They also are putting a ton of work into the FPS game play as well. Below is a look at how much thought was put into the motion of players (to avoid motion sickness) and the realistic firing of weapons compared to Call of Duty etc. Bookmarked below:

https://youtu.be/_7GG0y8Jmcs?t=11m23s

Interesting how they worked on and found a solution to motion tracking.

I watch Around the Verse which is a weekly show released on Thursdays. It details the latest developments in the game and also focuses more closely on particular areas. It runs about 30 minutes. There is also a follow up weekly show called "Reverse the Verse" that dives deeper into the topics of that weeks Around the Verse episode. Is runs around 45 minutes.

You can find all of the Star Citizen shows here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTeLqJ ... WWoNXLmOIA

Star Citizen receives criticism for how long it's taken to develop but they are very transparent and extremely open with their progress.

This game is shaping up to be epic in scope and beyond AAA quality.

Look at the work that went into just one of their smaller specialty ships: (Info Runner, gathering intel and transporting data)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2TFjPshwbs

That ship went though a ton of revisions and evolved as other parts of the game were fleshed out. The thought behind movement of players, etc is a big reason why Star Citizen is so much more than your normal Space Sim/FPS/etc game. Being able to have smooth transitions between space flight and ground player movement is a lot of work to get right.

The damage models are even very extensive. The ship is meant to go very fast, stealthy, include countermeasures to avoid detection, etc.

It's almost intentionally ugly but cool specialization.

Early next week we should get a lot more info again with the next gaming convention. Currently in 2.5 Alpha, the next 3.0 release will include the ground based combat along with some more ships and cargo etc.

Good stuff.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

CitizenCon is this Sunday where there should be a wealth of new information on Star Citizen 3.0 Alpha.

In the meantime, this video shows the detail of a single system with the lore behind it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj2M4zvjOmw

This system is the hub for the military so there's a lot of talk about the planets/industry, less about asteroid belts etc.

Pretty nice how they detail the star type and logic behind the system including Lagrange points etc. in an "almost" dual star system.

If you want to check out the cool interactive star map for Star Citizen for the current 100 or so systems, go here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

I'm really interested in the progress they've made for procedural planets V2
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

My computer might run this, but I'll probably just plan on trying to have a new computer built before the actual final release of this game comes out. I've been skimming the info but will probably dig in a bit more once everything is fleshed out. I know I certainly won't be willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to start off with more things though, and I really hope that the gap between you and people that can is something that can be closed with relative ease, because that would turn me (and likely a lot of people) off otherwise.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:My computer might run this, but I'll probably just plan on trying to have a new computer built before the actual final release of this game comes out. I've been skimming the info but will probably dig in a bit more once everything is fleshed out. I know I certainly won't be willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to start off with more things though, and I really hope that the gap between you and people that can is something that can be closed with relative ease, because that would turn me (and likely a lot of people) off otherwise.
You won't need to spend more than $45 (or less if you buy a package in November during the anniversary sale) for a small ship that includes access to the game.

Everything is earnable in game up the the largest ships. You can get away with lower power graphics and the game will still look ok. This game is built to take advantage of everything thrown at it though so it will be visually rewarding to have a better system.

The Polaris (Corvette class military ship) will be on sale this Sunday for $750.00 Don't miss out! JK, I'm not interest in it. The 400 limited quantity $2,500 Javelin ships they sold last year sold out in seconds. These won't be limited but I'm more interest in exploration/science/trading so the Carrack is the best larger ship for that. If you're going the cheapest route (Aurora LN probably) you'll be able to upgrade to a Freelancer fairly quickly in game. (those are $125) Keep in mind, the crazy prices of the bigger ships are to support development of the game. When the game is released, it won't be crazy hard to progress except maybe to the most expensive ships. Also, progression is not based on the size of your ship, it has to do with reputation and skills in the various things you can do in the game.

The good news is the game is shaping up to be fantastic. Will post the live demo from Sunday once it's on Youtube.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

OK, some seriously insane numbers to throw at you.

The Polaris ($750) ship was offered for cash only for $625.00 this weekend before it goes on sale to everyone else for $750.00 where you can use store credits, melt cheaper ships to pay partially for the more expensive ship, etc.

ONLY people that were offered the $625.00 were those that had already spent at least $1,000 on ships.

People having already paid $1,000 that want another expensive ship seems somewhat exclusive...so how many did they sell in 24 hours?Already over 2,500 ships have been sold at $625.00 ($1,562,500.00) with a little more time left before the real sale starts tomorrow. It's the second biggest fund raising day in Star Citizen's history so interest hasn't stopped in this game.

Tomorrow there will be a mad rush of even more money dumped into Star Citizen as people that haven't spent 1K already on the game either buy it outright for cash or trade in some of their other ships and pay part cash for the $750.00 ship.

Here's what's insane about this (well to add to the insanity). This ship requires a crew of 14-24. Now, with a ship like the Carrack, which requires 4-5, you can fill crew spots with NPCs fairly easily. But with the Polaris (not to mention the monstrous $2,500 Javelin ship that has more like a 50 crew size) you can't easily fly this thing solo. There's going to be most likely around 4,000 of these Polaris ships at launch.

I have no problem with $750 for a ship if it's what you want. I've spent more than twice that on a single game in the past. Polaris is a military ship though that requires a sizable crew. I can't imagine everyone buying them are thinking this through. You will have many missions that you can complete in 1 or 2 man fighters. Polaris is for major battles that I don't think will take place that often. The Carrack I have is a deep space science ship. It has extremely long range capability. It has the best sensors available for exploration. It has 4 modular bays that can have a med-bay, science bay, cargo, etc. (self sustaining) It has it's own land rover and a snub (small single seater) ship. It's basically the closest thing to Serentiy (Firefly) you can get in Star Citizen. It's previous use was military so it has strong shields and decent defenses. The Carrack will be able to travel long distances, has the on board equipment to detect anomalies, can land on the surface of planets/moons, can explore the surface in the ATV (rover), has the cargo capacity to do substantial trade runs, etc. This makes a lot more sense to me than a strictly military ship with limited purpose and large crew.

That said, if the right science/cargo ship comes along that I like, I'll plunk down more $$ for it. Not that I feel I have to, but because I'm lazy but that I don't want to earn certain things in game.

The numbers are staggering for this game. It passed $130 Million today in funding. They have next to zero advertising budget and will publish their own game so on top of all that cash, the majority of it goes toward development as opposed to marketing/publishing that takes a huge chunk out of other game budgets.

Looking forward to the 2 hour demo of 3.0 tomorrow.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wasn't the most exciting presentation they've had but here's a nice edited 10+ minute recap of the procedural planets V2 tech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGZUTgxdTU

You'll see a no loading screen from orbit to ground transition. A look at a desert planet and a little ground melee action. They also demonstrate weather affects with a cool sandstorm. Keep in mind this is a Space Sim primarily so this is icing on the cake stuff.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I like how everything is to scale in Star Citizen.

The Constellation Andromeda is a mid sized ship in the game:

http://i.imgur.com/P5fyprD.jpg

You can see the player to size as he approaches the ship and get an idea for how the internals of the ship will be pretty large.

The Carrack and other ships are much bigger than this one. So you don't necessarily need or may not even want a large sized ship to head out into the 'Verse and have fun.

The http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af56 ... 1fba10.png Reclaimer I pictured concept art of a few posts above (with 747's as comparison) will be monsters. That particular ship is the "grim reaper" of ships. It can devour a ship the size of the Constellation for it's parts and has the space to hold it all.I think it will be fun to go on salvage missions with that ship but doubt you'd want to take it everywhere.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Because no one asked, here's the daily updated development schedule for Star Citizen:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Check it out once, scroll down through everything and look at the incredible detailed public schedule for Star Citizen 2.6 and 3.0 through 4.0 after that.

Don't think any other game has come close to laying that kind of info (down to single employee sick day delays being noted, etc)

Target for 2.6 is Dec 16th. Sometime after that date would be a good time to try out Star Citizen. And if not that date, 3.0 which should come about 3 months later will be a huge jump forward in progress.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Pretty cool EVA around a Caterpillar ship with all four module bay doors open:

https://youtu.be/RfGxdnWscQ4?t=1m26s

Bookmarked the video after a buggy part. Entire 12 mins is interesting but it's a hack pre-alpha video so some buggy parts. Another buggy part is when he goes up into the top turret but pretty cool to see what a non pilot player might be doing on the ship during a battle. (there's also a lower turret)

When he flies through the middle of the ship, you'll see artificial gravity take over.

This is a multipurpose ship. The four modules may be configured various ways (repair, med bay, troop transport, etc) The default seen here is for cargo hauling. It's one of the first (almost) finished big ships. It's one of the ships I currently own but will most likely eventually CCU it to a larger Orion, Starfarer Gemini or Reclaimer depending on how those ships end up. There's a slim chance I'd keep if if works well for cargo hauling but I also own a Banu Merchant ship for that.

Drake (one of many ship manufacturers in the Star Citizen universe) is military oriented, so that's why it's insides are stark and not more comfy looking.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Loco Roco collection coming to the PS4 in 2017! I played the heck out of the first two (the second was better) on the PSP. Good times!

Patapon too!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFupqkY8Q8w

The Dawning!

Ice Breaker is back! Wonder if they will gimp it like the original has been.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/5/138461 ... perience#0

Knack 2 not sounding so bad! As least it sounds like they figured out proper difficulty settings. And levels that don't go on forever.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Star Citizen 2.6 was released today. Trailer with updates/features. 2.6 includes Star Marine (first person shooter part of Star Citizen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFSnSuV9jz8

Worth a look if you've been following or have interest in the game. Watch in HD of course!

Here's a 10 minute demo of in-game play from 2.6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9JgXvBX73s

Shows space station/getting ready for a mission, space flight, ship combat, and also boarding a ship (Caterpillar) and first person ship combat. Looks pretty fucking amazing for an alpha.

Some footage of Star Marine shot in the third person to give better look at things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XbBtufQbDs

Won't be able to check it out the game myself for a few days. Lighting effects look outstanding as well as the detail of the ships and bodysuit armor.

This is a major release and the last one before 3.0 which will probably be good enough for the public, as well as the stand alone Squadron 42 game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a player made video showing some of the detail in the 2.6 release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ROL0pei6Po

Besides the male camel toe, it's looking good! There is now a "Director's Mode" camera view in Star Citizen that enables this kind of film like look to the visuals.

A gif showing reflection in the eyes of the character:

https://gfycat.com/NextSophisticatedElephantbeetle

Star Citizen is thought of as a space sim but the character detail and first person parts are equally as impressive. It will make good use of any GPU you throw at it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This game is looking so impressive.

Take a look at a teaser clip for the Reclaimer, a salvage ship that eats other ships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYwjEgPw7M

The weather and lighting effects they are putting into the game are outstanding. Also, take note of the animations for the characters walking around.

Smooth stuff.

This ship is huge. Here's a size comparison I posted awhile back:

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af56 ... 1fba10.png

It's been entertaining watching the development of this game over the past few years. Probably another year to go for the masses but this fall 3.0 will be out with the Reclaimer above as one of the latest playable ships.

Here's the latest episode of Around the Verse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKRX0ZwzXqk

This one focuses on lighting.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:Loco Roco collection coming to the PS4 in 2017! I played the heck out of the first two (the second was better) on the PSP. Good times!

Patapon too!
Oh, LocoRoco Remastered released by the way. Pick it up so they redo the second one!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The game is also working hard not to have generic clothing. Here's a concept of something an outlaw will wear:

http://i.imgur.com/z9HUTEy.png

That would be considered light armor. Actual in game armor for heavy outlaw:

https://gfycat.com/KindlyWigglyGangesdolphin

Female walking animation:

https://gfycat.com/LeanPoisedJohndory
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's the single person Prospector mining ship in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXmbmWYF5Go

Detail on these ships is really nice. Purpose of this ship is to go after more precious metals on planets, moons, etc as opposed to something like the massive Orion asteroid miner.

Hopefully occupations like mining will be a little less monotonous than in games like EVE.