VR Gaming

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: VR Gaming

Post by Funkmasterr »

Jeez, it was just a question.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Don't hassle the retarded monkey
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well that escalated quickly.

I don't recall anyone, let alone "most of (us)", here saying it was a fad. But feel free to spend the time to research it because I'm not going to.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I'm at a loss for why they wouldn't mount his last object he championed, a PicoP projector to the goggles. Then you could make everyone around you see what you're looking at in VR.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Notice the asians smiling. Asians don't smile unless something is really good. That should be a buy signal for the skeptics!
Boogahz wrote:I'm at a loss for why they wouldn't mount his last object he championed, a PicoP projector to the goggles. Then you could make everyone around you see what you're looking at in VR.
Stay tuned.

Light Field Displays and Virtual Retinal Displays will be huge in miniaturizing VR/AR headsets.

This Facebook news is also important for VR:
Facebook's latest VR video innovation is a big deal

Hands-on with "dynamic streaming" video on Gear VR.

Streaming video in virtual reality, as with just about everything, isn't easy to pull off well. The experience of watching 360-degree videos in VR usually comes in one of two flavors: grainy and blurry or high-quality but slow-loading. But Facebook's recently announced dynamic streaming technology for the Gear VR could change all that. Basically, it uses several copies of a video in multiple resolutions to make sure you're looking at the highest-quality version possible, while video on your periphery is lower-quality. The kicker? It makes those adjustments on the fly, as you move your head around the scene. After seeing the dynamic streaming technology in action, it definitely feels like something that every VR platform needs.

Whether I was gazing at a Masai tribesman or crystal-clear water, the video I saw through a Gear VR headset looked clear and smooth. If I moved my head quickly enough, I could see the transition from low-grade to a higher-quality resolution, but for the most part the experience was fairly seamless. I was just viewing local video files, though, so I can't say how the technology could apply to typical streaming performance. For what it's worth, they still loaded up quickly on the Gear VR.

Max Cohen, head of mobile at Oculus (which Facebook owns), also pointed out that the technology could make it possible to stream 6K video files. Since 360-degree videos have all of their pixels spread out throughout the scene, they're not nearly as sharp as traditional 2D videos shot in the same resolution. So when comparing a video in 4K and 6K, there was a noticeable bump in quality. I could make out individual blades of grass in a 6K video, for example, while the 4K version tended to look muddled.

Given that 4K streaming requirements are hefty for 2D videos (you'll need a connection between 12 Mbps and 15 Mbps at the least to stream them smoothly), adaptive streaming could make it possible for people with slower connections to enjoy the benefits of higher-resolution video.

While Facebook is only discussing the technology around the Gear VR right now, I'd expect it to end up on the Oculus Rift eventually. It's also the sort of thing that every other VR platform will want, so now the question is whether Facebook will ever license it out. Expect to see plenty of similar solutions around VR moving forward, since focusing processing power on what you're viewing, as opposed to everything else in the scene, is a simple way to optimize. NVIDIA, for example, uses a similar method for anti-aliasing to smooth out 3D scenes without a huge performance hit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Should get the details on Sony's VR PS4 headset March 15th:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/23/sony ... on-vr-gdc/

I anticipate lots of blue glowing lights! I'm sure there are still a group of consumers that care what a VR headset looks like on the outside as opposed to the more important part of it's actual performance.

Sony's been working on their VR headset a long time so I'm sure they'll have some interesting software. There's no need to even debate that it won't be on the resolution level of the Rift/Vive. That's extremely important when the screen sits an inch from your face and is stretched to fill your field of view. There are ways to make fun games with basic graphics but the pictures/video part is going to be sub par. Guessing the motion controllers (with those glowing balls on top) won't be anywhere close to the Vive/Rift Touch VR controller solutions.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sword Art Online: The Beginning Project just electrified the anime and gaming world by announcing that the very first VR-MMO would bring SAO to life by combining Oculus Rift virtual reality tech with IBM supercomputers and Artificial Intelligence. The video game project is definitely the first step toward realizing Full Dive technology for video games, but DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) recently announced a new Brain-Machine Interface (BMI) that could make a real life NerveGear headset possible just in time for 2022.
Full Article:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2820817/sword- ... -possible/

Brain helmets are within reach. You might need a cranial implant though to begin with!

Here's the scoop on the first big MMORPG for VR in the works:
'Sword Art Online' Finally Gets The Online Virtual Reality Game It Deserves

IBM IBM -0.82% Japan is currently leading this project, with assistance from Bandai Namco, Aniplex and Kadokawa. Not only is IBM apparently using their SoftLayer cloud computing setup but they are also planning to experiment with cognitive computing as well.

From a virtual reality standpoint, the game will apparently use body motion to control in game movement. Depending how that works, I will reserve judgment but overall one-to-one motion control is rarely popular or even practical for most games.

As the world and game of Sword Art Online is not something that can be easily recreated with modern technology, so IBM Japan has definitely set itself a hugely ambitious target.

In the meantime, the project will be recruiting 208 alpha testers in the Tokyo area for test from March 18th to 20th. Getting the online right for a game of this scope will be very difficult, so this initial testing is definitely a good idea.

Currently there are no further details on what platform the game will be on or its release date. Though whatever happens, my fingers are firmly crossed that this game will be as good as I hope it will be.
Interesting that the alpha testers will have their bodies and faces scanned into the game. As I've mentioned before, most people are fat and ugly, older, etc. I'm sure people will want the opportunity to tweak their looks. I know I don't want my mug, as it is today, in a game. Other than that, the concept looks great.

IBM is working with Oculus on this project. So far Playstation VR peeps are only hoping:

http://www.psu.com/News/29452/Sword-Art ... -IBM-Japan
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

https://gfycat.com/SkinnyPepperyArcticfox

https://giant.gfycat.com/SkinnyPepperyArcticfox.gif (larger version)

Nice demonstration of how close the motion tracking is for head/hands.

There's a VR version of fruit ninja that demonstrates this as well. Since the VR controllers track rotation, it your sword doesn't slice if you hit the fruit with the flat part instead of the edge. Very cool stuff on the way, but you can see from the above video that Avatars in VR, even basic, will be much more animated with your motions.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a truly clueless CNBC reporter trying the Vive headset:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000496911

You can get lost in the VR world pretty fast after you put the headset on, even in an interview on TV. She' puts it on and boom, she's there. Almost hits the head of Vive in the face as she swipes at fish.

---------------------

Using VR to travel is more than just seeing a 360 movie. What you need to keep in mind is that everything is to scale. That means if you visit the Pyramids in VR, you're going to get to see how massive they are as you will be seeing them at their true scale. If you go into the pyramids you will experience the tight passageways, etc.

That's the huge difference VR will make.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Early physics demo of a realistic gun firing range simulation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_PL4_D6ggU

The Vive controllers would eventually become hands. Mostly interesting for how physics work in the Unity Engine, allowing you to use motion to load and lock your shotgun, etc.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:She' puts it on and boom, she's there.

Well.. Not literally.
Winnow wrote: If you go into the pyramids you will experience the tight passageways, etc.
At least until you reach out to touch them and realize there's nothing there. They're not fooling anyone!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
At least until you reach out to touch them and realize there's nothing there. They're not fooling anyone!
You're not supposed to touch anything in the real pyramids either so still realistic!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This is cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TPXop3ONPk

It's like the Gary's mod of VR. Looking forward to screwing around with this.

---------------------------------------

Set your alarms for 10 am EST, 7 Am Pacific. Vive VR headsets go on pre-order sale tomorrow! Start shipping April 5th for probably first 15-30 minutes of pre orders taken tomorrow!

If you order a Rift now you won't get it until around the July'September time frame so Vive is your ticket to mind roasting experiences sooner.

I'm getting both of course but it's a tough call between recommending Rift or Vive if buying only one.

Rift: $599 - lighter/comfortable, more games at launch, slightly less screen door/sharper image

-pre launch bonus software: Eve Valkyrie, Lucky's Tale

Vive: $799 - Room scale, Motion controllers included. front facing camera with chaperon system

-pre launch bonus software: Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption, Tilt Brush

I'd probably go with the Vive if only getting one, at least until Rift's Touch Controllers are ready. Being able to use VR controllers to see your hands in VR is huge and Rift won't get that for several months.

BTW, Tilt Brush looks really cool and fun to play around with: (older video so outdated UI and controllers but can get an idea of what it's about)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n97Q4sDawAs

3D art you can walk around while you create.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Got my Vive order placed within 5 minutes of them going on sale. Had to type in all the demographics/CC info and slight delay at beginning before order page showed up.

They show as out of stock after ten minutes but I think the site is just having issues with the initial surge of VR nerds.

I guess the only one left now to possibly pick up is the Playstation VR. Sony will have their VR announcement on March 15. I'm not liking the ball of light on the glove thingy patent Sony just filed for. Seems they can't get away from the glowing orbs.

Should be interesting through in a few weeks to see what they have. They're going to have to have some really compelling games/etc as their headset/resolution will be weaksauce compared to Rift/Vive. I'd bet they still sell a bazillion of them if around the 399-499 price point though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

More information about Meta 2 AR is coming Wednesday but here's a video showing what you see shot from behind the glasses so it's exactly what you see:

http://uploadvr.com/meta-2-ar-exclusive-video/

Looks very promising. I saw another video, but it's too long and annoying Robert Scoble is in it. In that video, someone is using the Meta 2 headset to view computer screens. The device has enough resolution to do that and also a larger field of view than Hololens.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A little over three years ago John Carmack talked Palmer Luckey (19 or 20 years old at the time) into borrowing his home built VR headset and brought it to CES. It was duct taped together and had a ski goggle strap.

Some estimates take combined VR/AR hardware/software/entertainment sales to go from nothing to 150 Billion+ in Five years.
The team at Goldman, led by Heather Bellini, looked at possible uses, their "volume adoption framework" and future pricing. The base case is for $80 billion, while the "accelerated uptake" scenario puts the market at a whopping $182 billion.
I fucking hate Goldman Sachs but they always seem to be right.

First, nice job Palmer Luckey fiddling around and coming up with this in your parent's garage. Second, awesome of John Carmack, a true genius and legend of 3D programming/games to notice it on an obscure forum and bring it to light.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a demo of a VR Tennis game in the works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab0J_3i4oJY

Ignoring the unicorn thing on her head (not sure why that's there) You can start to get an idea of how nice room scale VR will be for some physical activities. You can also see the glasses she's wearing are pretty big so those that do wear glasses should be ok.

Keep in mind that the accuracy of the tracking on the Vive laser based Lighthouse system is sub-milometer (that means it's really good) with extremely low/non existent lag running at 90 FPS which all VR games will. So you can get a very accurate game of Tennis, Ping pong, etc. Broaden your imagination though to the possibilities.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a god example demonstrating the possibilities of interactive board/strategy type games.

https://youtu.be/EfCGmcBkxg8?t=1m27s

I marked the video to play 1.5 mins in because the guy is annoying and wasted time as most people do introducing/setting up videos.

Giant Cop allows you to throw anatomically correct naked people across the city into a Police bin. With motion/touch controllers, things are very intuitive in VR games.

Good example of god mode in a game looking down at the world. Sims type games should be fun in VR. Video split so can see what the guy is going IRL while moving around in VR.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

In contrast to that last example, Apollo 11 experience is an example of how cool VR will make education and training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBzvUYZ ... e=youtu.be

This takes you inside the Apollo 11 space capsule. What you won't grasp until you try VR yourself is that the big deal is actually being in the confines of the capsule...how close and cramped everything is. VR enables the visual environment that makes it possible to see exactly to scale and as if you were there. Think of the possibilities. Say, training a deep sea welder for example. Those nuts dive down 100's of feet into the sea to repair oil rigs. With VR, you can put them in the inhospitable environment, constrict their view to exactly what they would see out of their masks at 500 feet below the surface and give them a feel for what it will look like before they do their actual dive training.

VR has awesome potential to excel in many areas, entertainment, training/education, therapy, etc.

Interactive Star Wars VR being worked on by Lucas Arts, Skywalker Sound and ILM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T9Dv1aLMbw
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's an opinion of the PSVR, Vive and Rift compared:
Hi guys! After spending the last week at GDC and pretty much doing back to back VR demos all week, I've noticed some very distinct differences between the three platforms and formulated some opinions.

First off, I strongly feel the need to say that I'm not backing any one of the platforms, and really just want VR to succeed more than anything. I have both on preorder and can't wait to use each of them. I've also used both the Vive and Oculus CV1 previously, but never got to compare them in rapid succession as I have now. Here are my thoughts on each device.

Playstation VR:

Just wanted to start with PSVR to get it out of the way. I was very disappointed with this, especially coming from previous VR experience. I noticed huge delays, fps drops, and the frame tweening causes very noticeable flickering on some elements. It was also the first time that VR has made me remotely dizzy, which is telling given I have a super high tolerance it seems.

I realize that this will be the most affordable option for many people, so to summarize my opinion it would be "disappointed." I'd hate for people to try this as their first VR experience and think the technology just isn't ready yet.

That being said, it had what I consider the best mechanism for adjusting to fit your head. It uses a slider for both the viewport of the headset, as well as the bands itself, and really feels and looks futuristic.

The Vive:

I noticed a lot more developers using the Vive than I expected, but it makes sense as it is the only headset with an early emphasis on roomscale VR. I'm a huge believer in roomscale and the Vive demos blew me away. The chaperone system is an absolute must with roomscale, and the one Vive demo that didn't have it implemented (a short film called "The Rose & I") left me not wanting to venture too far out, fearing I'd run into a wall. Also, the headset seems to fit my face slightly better than the Oculus, but this probably won't apply to everyone.

I had heard a rumor somewhere that the Vive has a higher vertical FOV than the CV1, and from my past experiences I thought it may be true. However, after closely comparing them I do not believe it is the case at all. I believe the reason this may appear to be the case is the lenses used. The Vive has a viewport that sort of reminds me of those circular steampunk goggles, where the Oculus is more of a rounded square. This could possibly give the illusion of them being taller than they actually are.

There is not really much to say about the controllers. They are great. They give the feeling of a lightsaber/sonic screwdriver, and don't really try to emulate your hands (though some games use it that way). They track exactly as you would want them to, and my favorite thing about them is the directional pad with haptic feedback. My one complaint is the buttons used to emulate "grabbing" kind of feel awkward and would cause me to always drop my weapon unintentionally. That was until I switched to using a toggle for holding items.

It's worth noting that a lot of game developers are still trying to figure out locomotion and I got to experience a bunch of methods. Some work well, others are awful. It seems like the best I've used so far is teleporting from place to place. One demo, Paranormal Activity, had me control my movement like I was in an FPS. This made me feel like I was sliding on a magic carpet and I had to make sure I kept my balance. By far the worst implementation I've tried (which a couple demos used) was having you walk to one end of your space, turn around, and walk back the way you came. Your camera would switch directions once you reached one end of your room, but it ended up just feeling very clunky.

I had a few mishaps with tracking and interference, one causing my whole camera to flip out, but it's sort of what I expected with a weeks worth of incomplete games and demos. My biggest disappointment when it comes to the Vive, was the screen. When games were going through super immersive/action packed moments, I didn't notice any screen door effect, but when things were calm (especially in the dark) it'd hit me bad. One example was at the beginning of the Star Wars demo where you are standing in darkness. The entire time I felt like I had a dark textured wall smashed right up against my face. There were also moments throughout other demos where I'd notice the screen door effect, and would have to get myself to stop noticing it before I could become fully immersed again. This usually wasn't hard to do, but it definitely still happens.

The Oculus CV1:

The Oculus CV1 was the go-to device when it came to sitting demos. In fact, no demo involving sitting seemed to use a Vive. Comfort-wise, I feel that the Oculus and Vive are on par, though I like the rubber flaps the Vive has as they keep light out better it seems.

Lense-wise it is freaking amazing. It's supposed to be blurrier for your peripherals, but turns out it's harder to focus on them than I initially thought. I noticed only one instance of screen dooring all weekend, and that was for a split second as I faded to white. Everything looks super crisp and clean, and just what you want from your VR headset (emphasis on headset).

As I said, most of the demos using Oculus were sitting down, but since I'm really into moving in VR I tried standing up a few times. 90% of the time it worked fine. However, if you are situated really close to the emitter (something that doesn't happen with the Vive as the sensor is on the wall instead of your desk), standing up can sometimes make your view go nuts. This should be obvious though, as you are no longer in the line of sight of the emitter, but it's still worth mentioning. To fix it, simply step back and you're golden.

The second thing that I felt "iffy" about. (sorry that I can't think of a better way to describe it) Is games trying to limit themselves to the front 180 degrees to avoid occlusion. Yes, you can still look behind you and interact with stuff with the Touch controllers to a certain extent, but it still just feels "iffy".

I was originally planning on posting this yesterday, but I'm glad I didn't. I was going to conclude saying that "surprise, surprise. Oculus seems better for sit down games, and the Vive for roomscale." I also was going to mention that my dream setup would use the Oculus headset with the Vive sensors and controllers. (mainly because I do think the Oculus looks a little better) However, this morning I got to try the Bullet Train demo (my second shooter of the week) using Oculus' Touch controllers, and I honestly believe they blow the Vive controllers out of the water.

Saying this makes me dread that there is still no release date on them, as I'll probably be keeping my Vive preorder because of it. The Touch controllers feel amazing, and I mean amazing. I thought the Vive controllers were all I needed, but the Touch does it right. The "grab" button is in a better feeling spot, instead of on both sides of the Vive's handles, and even the trigger feels nicer. The one thing I do miss from the Vive controllers however is the touchpad. In its place the Touch has a regular old analog stick, which really just feels too tall and out of place. It also does the classic "click" that gamepads have for R3/L3.

tl;dr: Roomscale is simply amazing, and I'm convinced it'll be big. Because of this I think the Vive has a huge advantage right out of the gate. I do prefer Oculus' headset however, and until this morning I had no idea that the Touch controllers were as great as they are. PSVR was lackluster. (at least for me)

That being said (and this is a personal opinion, and not something I tried this week), the Vive has so many damn good exclusives that it's hard to pass up. I tried to be as unbiased as possible with my opinions, and if you've used either I'd love to hear what you have to think. :) Thanks guys!
I'll have my Oculus Rift in a little over a week and HTC Vive a week after that.

I know most people want the cheap route when it comes to things (btw PSVR will cost you 500 not 400 if you don't have the MANDATORY camera and recommended stupid snow cone controllers so it isn't exactly cheap) but you really don't want half-assed VR. PSVR will still wow with it's immersion but lack of resolution, tracking issues, etc are not the kind of things you want when it comes to VR and preventing nausea.

I do want PSVR to do well because I want all out war when it comes to improving VR.

As for Rift and Vive. I'm happy to be getting both. Clarity is important to me so the Rift will be my go to VR headset for multimedia and sit down games. I also like the integrated headphones so you don't have to deal with more cords and taking/putting on two things on your head each time. Note:PSVR doesn't have integrated headphones either. Room scale is going to provide the most amazing experiences so Vive is the pick here. It's also the choice for motion controllers since Oculus Touch controllers are probably six months away.

Overall, Vive is what you should get over the next six months. When Oculus Touch controls are released, it will be a toss up between the two as the touch controls (by most accounts) are better than Vive's motion controllers but Vive's Lighthouse Room Scale solution will probably still be better than what Oculus comes up with. Please note how fat and lazy you are. Room scale is amazing but keep in mind that you'll probably end up sitting in a chair eventually because (fat and lazy...or just lazy...probably fat and lazy going by national statistics)

Best overall Solution: Vive
Clearest most elegant/comfortable: Rift
Cool but candidate for ending up in your closet like the Wii: PSVR

main benefits:

Vive: Room Scale, Motion Controllers
Rift: Better lenses (clearer view,, lack of screen door effect), Comfort, Integrated Audio
PSVR: Nothing besides price.

Note: I've never experienced room scale VR but can easily tell how awesome it will be based on the limited movement I had with my Rift DK2.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d59O6cfaM0

Now this is what I was getting at many months back on this or another thread when I was talking about capturing yourself in 3D. Microsoft has taken it a step further than I had imagined being possible in the near future, especially the playback part.

Hololens may not be ready for prime time quite yet but Microsoft has some seriously good shit in the works. It's worth checking out the video.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Received the shipping/tracking notice for my HTC Vive today. I get it Day One on launch Tuesday, April 5th.

Oculus is having serious shipping issues and isn't saying much about what's going on. Launch day was March 28th. So far they've shipped the first minute's worth of orders. Zero went out today. Something is seriously wrong but they aren't talking. My order completed 6 minutes after orders went live and it may be months at this rate as to when I get it.

I'm more excited about the Vive and losing faith in Oculus daily as they continue to be total fuck ups with their launch. The only thing keeping me from cancelling my Rift order is the integrated headphones. I don't look forward to putting on both VR headset and Headphones each time with the Vive. ...but that's it. The Vive has room scale, motion control hand trackers, a more open platform and a competent team between Steam and HTC that are getting things done. Lighthouse tracking system is also a way better solution that what Oculus has right now.

Oculus has tried to emulate Apple. They have the cool packaging and ads and sleeker looking product (visually) but they forgot about the reliability and customer service part that makes Apple great.

Keeping my order for now but was extremely relieved to get confirmation my Vive will be here Tuesday. I could easily flip the Rift on eBay for $1000 but I'm too lazy and don't care enough to do that. I think they're going for $1,200 right now. Oculus, with their incredibly slow trickle release is causing them to lose a rabid fanbase and mad resale values.

My Vive is currently in Indianapolis! Ewww midwest.

Here's a fat guy demonstrating the Vive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWproPHhHd0&t=5m45s

He's annoying but you can get an initial idea of how much better room scale and motion controllers are in a VR environment.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Indianapolis sucks! Glad I got out of there. However being in the middle of the country is good for ordering shit. Most Amazon (and Newegg) orders got to me within 2 days even without Prime. Of course them having distribution centers nearby helped a bit.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Enjoy those shady terms of service for the Rift! Makes sense since Facebook is involved. Such an evil company not sure why people still use Facebook.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Enjoy those shady terms of service for the Rift! Makes sense since Facebook is involved. Such an evil company not sure why people still use Facebook.
I hate to say it but this is the problem when you have non-experts looking over this stuff: predictable fear-mongering reactions.

The transferable license stuff is absolutely routine. Think of it this way, as a content creator you have absolute control of EVERYTHING you make. That doesn’t stop when you upload it to their service. So they need a license to use it. If it’s content you’re uploading through Services, whatever that is, presumably you intend for other people to see it too. For Oculus to let them have it, that license must be transferable. They’re using the type of license with absolutely minimal rights to them that still protects them, and you. Worldwide, perpetual and irrevocable means if you upload content and other people start using it you can’t take that right away, and they can send it to users anywhere. That’s only fair. Imagine if Steam Workshop let mod publishers revoke their licenses and force them to yank mods from the store— breaking your save-games that have mod dependencies in the process.

the analogy fits because the terms of use are not substantially and materially different from Steam Workshop.

As to collecting that data. Well, yeah that part is potentially worrisome because they don’t say HOW they will be using the data. Having to collect it is part of how the service works (try sending data to a device without “collecting” and storing its IP address, and thus geolocation). Other parts are needed for troubleshooting or quality assurance.
Fear mongering! If you upload a mod to a public service, it makes COMPLETE sense that the service needs rights to it in order to share it with other users. (Check your Steam license or stop using Steam) If you don't want to share...don't upload it.

Advertising...check your google agreements or stop using google, gmail, etc.

There are some shady parts to the terms of service but "always on" is there for a reason. There is no On/Off switch on the Rift. It has proximity sensors so when you put it on, it turns on automatically and takes you to Oculus Home. Take it off, it turns off. VR headsets aren't treated like monitors anymore. They are now recognized by Windows as VR headsets. If, for some reason, you want to make things more difficult, I'm sure you can block the server and then unblock it every time you use the headset if you're not a fan of convenience.

My Vive headset arrives tomorrow! Rift order processing made it to the 3 minute mark today for pre-orders. My pre-order registered 6 mintues 23 seconds after pre orders went live. Probably another day or two. Haven't cancelled it yet. I've considered it but Oculus waved shipping charges for all orders place through March to apologize for their delays.

I'd still recommend the Vive over the Rift for anyone getting a single headset.

-slightly wider FOV (field of view) Oval shape of the FOV seems more agreeable in general than the squarish FOV in the Rift...this is a very minor point not a deal breaker)
-room scale (can walk around in your virtual environment instead of being seated/stationary)
-light house tracking system (a much more efficient and better tracking method than Oculus' IR camera solution, especially at room scale)
-motion controllers (makes huge difference being able to see your arms/hands in VR and be able to interact with objects that way)
-front facing camera (for many other reasons, but hitting a button on your controller and being able to see your keyboard, spot a drink, etc is very handy)
-chaperone system (grid materializes when you get too close to a real life wall or object to warn you)

Rift has none of the above right now although 6 months down the road will have touch controllers and "maybe" a room scale solution. Since most here aren't getting the first generation or at least not right away, you'll be able to see how they compare then. FYI, PSVR is not on the same level as Vive or Rift. (I have it pre ordered anyway but may eventually cancel it!)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Someone has been drinking the Kool-Aid...

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

After my successful hacking of Oculus Home yesterday in order to contain modded assets, I had today decided to hunt around in decompiled code for Oculus Home in order to see if there was anything interesting there. I didn't find much (though I'll put what I did find in another post later) but I did find something that might interest you guys, especially after the recent analysis of network traffic (https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... _analysis/). I found a list of all of the data types Oculus receives to their data analytics api (which is actually facebooks).
What Extent of Network Traffic is Covered Here

The Analytics I found are only the ones for Oculus Home, and as such may not include Analytics sent from services. That said, there appears to be code to allow the services and other games to send Analytics through home, so that may be the case. Furthermore, even though I believe this is the only Analytics data sent from Oculus Home, there could be Analytics elsewhere in the code. Lastly, this does not include actual data transfer that would be required for usage (such as buying, downloading, updating games, etc.) and Oculus doubtlessly keeps track of those from the server side.
What is Sent

To the best of my knowledge, here's what's sent:

Logs if Oculus Home hits an Error
The amount of time it takes Oculus Home to open after telling it to start opening
Your minimum, maximum, and average frame rate
How long it takes to enter or exit a subsection (subsections include the home environment, setup, the grid room, safety warning, etc.)
The application that sent the analytics, the version of Oculus Home that sent it, the version of the Oculus Plugin that sent it.
How long it takes to close Oculus Home
How long you spent in Oculus Home total
Amount of memory usage (may only be when an error is sent)
What VR application you have open (if any) that was launched from Oculus Home
Oculus Waterfall (no clue what this means, but seems related to in app purchases)
When you start an in app purchase (I'm pretty sure an in app purchase means buying anything in the Oculus store, including games)
If you cancel an in app purchase
If you make an in app purchase
How much the in app purchase cost
If you failed to enter your pin correctly during an in app purchase
How much time you spent on each section of making an in app purchase

There's also one other special case where Oculus sends the fact that it sent Analytics (along with what type of Analytics it sent) through the Oculus Store's net code.
Security Level

All of this stuff is sent publicly over encrypted https with JSON formatting to graph.oculus.com (with the full address of "graph.oculus.com/graphqlbatch?forced_locale=en_US") except for the last special case, which uses Oculus' networking system that they use for all other networking. The graph.oculus.com api endpoint was also used for share.oculus.com.
Where did you get this from?

I decompiled the C# assembly for Oculus Home using ILSpy. You can do this yourself relatively easily using that program, or other .dll decompilers. The namespace I found the analytics in is Logging.Analytics. If you just want the analytics code, I've uploaded it for ease of access: http://pastebin.com/KRGaiXzy
Conclusion

Based off of this, Oculus doesn't record any data I'd say they shouldn't have access to. There's no personally identifiable information outside of that which might be in logs and a lot of games and applications send their logs automatically on a crash. Based off of what I've seen from viewing their logs (look for Lumberjack in their code) Oculus avoids personally identifiable information there too as much as possible. Most of the data seems to be focused around improving the software, watching for unreasonably long hanging time. The iffiest part of this are the logs pertaining to in app purchases, but Oculus should have access to this on the server end anyway (and no offense, but expecting Oculus to not look at how much money they're making or how many people change their mind on a purchase is stupid). All in all, I'd say they're collecting a very reasonable amount of data. Significantly less than you'd have collected about you by even just browsing the internet without an ad-blocker.
I don't use facebook myself except for a fake account to sign up for betas, etc but they aren't always doing something evil. Meanwhile Sony installs root kits and people forgive them. lol.

That said, I'm still undecided on keeping the Rift or not.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's the best "mixed reality" video showing what VR is like as best they can:

https://youtu.be/qYfNzhLXYGc?t=32s

If this doesn't get you pumped up for VR, then it's really not for you. So cool.

My Vive is on the FedEx truck out for delivery!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I don't use facebook myself except for a fake account to sign up for betas, etc but they aren't always doing something evil. Meanwhile Sony installs root kits and people forgive them. lol.
One thing is presently (always!) happening the other was like.. probably a decade ago. Way to stay up on the times!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The Vive’s current game lineup prioritizes quantity over depth. Its coolest non-gaming applications remain largely theoretical, promises that will hopefully be fulfilled down the road. You’ll likely need to upend your home’s floorplan to use it, and the hardware can be finicky and tough to get working.

While the Vive’s best moments are some of the coolest I’ve experienced in video games, I can’t recommend purchasing it right now. You’d be spending $800 on something that’s going to be much better after months’ worth of software (and maybe even hardware) revisions, and there currently aren’t enough great games to justify the investment.

The Vive really is something you should see for yourself, but if you want to try it, go to a store that’s demoing it, or make friends with somebody who already ordered one. I’m excited about what the future holds for the Vive, but the future’s not here yet.
No point in buying now. Pass!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Some very early feedback after receiving my Vive today. Currently recharging my Vive controllers as they didn't have full juice when I go them!

HTC packaging is excellent. Best laid out parts in a complex electronics purchase I've seen in awhile.

Setup takes awhile but is straight forward.

1. install SteamVR on your PC
2. Set up and sync (if you need to) the Light House tracking cubes.
3. Hook up your Vive headset to your PC. Unlike Rift, it only takes 1 HDMI and 1 USB port. (Rift eventually 3 USB 3.0 Ports + HDMI)
4. Follow the step by step by step instructions (use a controller to outline your play area)

That's it, after that you're ready to go and it takes you right into a tutorial. One thing it doen't do is tell you about setting your IPD and focal length. It's up to you to get these right and also to adjust the straps for a comfortable fit. I had to search VV to go back and find my IPD from my DK2 measurement days.

Only small "glitch" I ran into was my second controller wasn't sync'ing. Troubleshooting showed me where to resync the controllers and it worked after that.

First impressions were, eh, better resolution than my DK2, still have a visual "sweet spot" that requires the headset to be well adjusted. (definitely not my final impression! Part of that was it taking some time to get a good adjustment)

CONTROLLERS: A+

Tracked controllers are extremely cool right off the bat. Even before you do anything with them, they are high res models in VR so look great and have PERFECT tracking as you move them. The amazing thing about the controllers is how easy it is for app/game designers to customize them. The big round touchpad can be divided into sections (buttons A< B< C< D for example) you see where your thumb is on the pad. Highly intuitive. Doesn't matter if you have never been a gamer using controllers, you'll get the hang of these quickly.

The other super cool thing about the controllers is how they can be modeled anyway the designer wishes. Guns, gadgets , etc. While seeing the exact controller you're holding in VR is neat, so is everything else it turns into.

ROOM SCALE/CAMERA: A-

Controllers combined with mobility totally takes VR to another level (compared to the sit down X-box style controller experience). The chaperone system works very well. It's customizable so as you get used to it, you can turn down the opacity, make less intrusive grid or, my preference, little squares instead of a grid.

The front facing camera is a HUGE help. You can customize the camera to turn on depending on what you're doing. The most common is to have it on when you pull up the Steam Menu. The little live camera picture is attached to your right controller. You can make it larger or smaller by moving the controller closer or farther away from your headset. I've used this to locate the second controller on my desk, to move my chair out of the way, etc. It's perfect for exactly what you'd think it would be good for. (grabbing your drink, etc)

The other useful mode is something that looks like a low res negative of your room. I have this set up to come on if I double click my home button. It's good enough to see the outline of objects, can detect pictures on the wall etc. What I found it useful for is seeing the cable attached to the headset. I can make out the outline of the cable if I get too wound up and maneuver it out of the way.

EXPERIENCES:

I tried out Job Simulator first. It places you in various situations and you do basic tasks. Sounds stupid but it's a blast and great way to get familiar with moving and using stuff in VR.

BTW, zero motion sickness. That says a lot coming from me as I'm prone to get it from FPS games and got it sometimes from the DK2. There's zero lag and as long as your PC handles the 90FPS, you're in business.

The LAB: A+

I checked out the SteamVR store and downloaded The Lab, which is a free series of various VR experiences that Valve has toyed with. Lots of cool stuff in The Lab. I was enjoying all of the experiences until I got to the one where you defend your castle from the horde. That was a OMFG how cool is this moment. Firing that bow with haptic feedback felt so good. The bow looked right in my left hand. The notching and firing the arrows mechanic was great. Aiming is perfect thanks to the great Lighthouse tracking system. Firing away at minions, barrels of TNT, targets that dumped hot oil etc. was a lot of fun and convinced me how much fun VR games are going to be.

Two other games I played in the lab were also fun. One was firing off a slingshot type thing to destroy stuff to gain points. Sounds simple, but way cool watching massive objects crash and blow up. The other game as like a VR Asteroids. You're in a pretty confined space and space ships are coming at you from all sides. Gotta laser blast them while dodging their attacks, etc. Easy to freak out in VR since stuff is behind you as well.

CONS:

Supposedly with a full charge the controllers will last a few days, but like the crappy PS4 (PS3 etc) controllers, you best charge them each night. No replaceable battery so if you have a dead controller you're shit out of luck. I'll know a little more on this once I try them out fully charged.

Already known, but resolution isn't optimal. Screen door is there but under control. I've read people say you forget about resolution if you have great content. So true. Also, stuff closer up looks better than the distant objects.

Headset. Lackof a built in one. I used the earbuds that came with the HTC and they work ok. There's a standard headphone mini jack right on the headset so you can use any headphones you want but there's already a big tri-cable coming off of your headset, less wires would be better so Oculus' built in headphones wins in this area.

Lighthouse cubes vibrate. Makes me wonder if the 8-9 foot camera tripod thingies will hold them in place for a long period of time. Haven't seen anyone else complain about it so I guess they'll be OK.

I had the cancellation request page up for my Rift order but couldn't do it so I'm still in line for one of those. Vive is most certainly the Headset to get currently until Rift's touch controllers and possible room scale later this year can be compared.

Another one of The Labs experiences put you in a magic shop. Clearly Telltale type games in VR are going to be awesome. The interaction and atmosphere was incredible. Beautiful looking. Also, the curtains looking out into the dark were freaking spooky. Can't emphasize enough that it's totally different than in a non VR game. When you move up to those curtains to peak through, there might be some nasty critter pop out at you which is literally in your face close.

Couple odds and ends from first couple hours:

I almost fell on my ass once. With room scale, you get completely lost as to where you actually are in your RL room. The chaperone will warn you but otherwise you're clueless as to your orientation after awhile. I was playing around with some cool models on a table and leaned over to grab one on the far side of the table and nearly fell on my ass...so easy to forget that table isn't actually there to lean on!

Also, the fucking food in VR makes me hungry. Those god damned donuts in job simulator I wanted to eat. Also, taking a drink from a coffee cup, I hit my headset with the controller as you forget what's what and actually move the cup to your mouth. While resolution isn't great at a distance, up close objects (like food for example) look great.

You teleport around a lot in VR which helps to totally disorient you from your RL setting. While it's possible to sit down on many VR games, etc, you stand up a lot in room scale. Might actually end up burning a few calories.

There are so many possibilities in VR for experiences. After trying out The Lab, I'd say that's a good starting point now as a demonstration to someone new to VR. One thing about standing up/room scale is when the floor falls out from below you, it definitely has a psychological impact on you.

My controllers are charged (think about 60-90 mins it took)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Another fun day in VR!

Too pooped to write much so I'll quote someone else's post about Vanishing Realms. What a freaking amazing game for those of use that have wanted a DnD/RPG type game in VR:
"Vanishing Realms," is a Zelda-esque dungeon crawler developed by Kelly Baily, formerly of Valve. It's your classic dungeon romp, so if you've played any kind of fantasy RPG before you know what to expect.

Except, well, you don't.

"Vanishing Realms" uses room scale incredibly wisely. You traverse the larger distances in the map by the teleport function (a system that becomes second nature incredibly quickly,) but you still find yourself in rooms or areas to investigate by moving around, leaning down, and even getting down on one knee. As cliche' as it is, this game literally IS in your face, and it wraps you up in its world incredibly quickly.

Then there's combat.

I don't think I've ever had more fun in a video game than I had today. (Given that I'm 49, that's saying something!) The first time I got into a straight up sword battle with a skeleton I grinned like a complete idiot. I dodged, he dodged. I'd block his blows, and he'd leap back to avoid mine. He'd land a wound and I'd yell out of frustration, and every time I landed a strike I found myself taunting this digital mesh with all I had. I wasn't twiddling controllers here, or mashing on the "X" button; I was fighting a skeleton with a virtual sword, and loving every second of it.

The game isn't perfect, of course. It's too easy to teleport partially into a wall, and there are pacing issues evident even early on, but frankly, that doesn't matter. After defeating a skeleton archer in a bow battle, I laughed, stood up from behind my cover, and said "If this was World of Warcraft people would never leave."
The game is in alpha so there are some glitches but wow. In my own experience I wondered how some people would even see some coins/treasure. I had to stand on my toes to see above a shelf and reach with my controller to get some coins in one spot. With height a factor, you need to look under things, etc. Sword felt so good, swinging etc. Torch was my friend. I held onto that thing lighting everything that looked flammable. Hard to describe how great stuff looks/feels with precise motion tracking within VR.

The UI is so cool. Your Gold/Mana/HPs are kind of down around your waste area as is your pouch/inventory that you place stuff in you want to keep. You teleport around to move but if you actually had the space you could walk everywhere...which you can't help but do. I kept having to recenter myself because I'd wander off (actually walking IRL)

There were several times while playing Vanishing Realms that I just stopped and thought how fucking cool it was. Swinging that sword in VR it mattered where you hit. Clank off a helmet or shield, just like you'd imagine but it wasn't some random number generator determining it, it was your precise swings on a full scale MOB in front of me.

To wrap things up, here's the conclusion Tom's Hardware came to after reviewing the Vive:
So Which Experiences Are Worth Your Time?

Aside from impressive hardware, the Vive is launching with an impressive suite of complementary software. There are dozens of games available now, and we're told another 100+ should be available soon. A majority are designed to take advantage of room-scale VR, too. And so far, every title that I’ve tried is worth checking out. If it uses hand controls and exploits the physical space you make available to it, the resulting experience is unlike anything else you've tried.

To be frank, the Rift left me scratching my head as to why I'd need virtual reality to enjoy some of its games. Meanwhile, all of the games designed for the Vive leave no question as to why they require hand controls. VR for games that work in 2D is neat, but it feels like a novelty after sampling the alternative. Room-scale games do not feel that way at all.

Shooters are incredible, first-person adventures and puzzles twist your mind in ways you couldn't have imagined previously and even third-person games aren't so disconnected when your hands can reach in and interact.

You Really Do Have To Try This

HTC and Valve came together and created something truly incredible. The experience that you get from room-scale VR with hand-tracked controllers is going to change your definition of what gaming can be. Rather than sitting in a chair, using a gamepad and imagining what it’d be like to vanquish your enemies with a sword, you can get up and swing it yourself. That sense of glory from winning a battle gets a lot more real.

The truth is, I’ve never in my life had this kind of experience, and I mean that. I can't compare it to anything I've ever done before. Playing games on one monitor is fun. A bigger, higher-resolution screen is incrementally cooler. And gaming across multiple displays seems like the most immersive window into that world possible the first time you sit down in front of three screens. But none of that compares even remotely to being inside the game.

The Rift almost gets there. And it'll likely deliver a similar experience when Touch arrives later this year. But without hands, today I still feel like a spectator. Intuitive controls and the ability to walk around are indescribable assets to a virtual reality experience. Really, you need to find a rich friend who bought the Vive, sight unseen, and try it out for yourself. That's the only way you're going to fully comprehend the magnitude of what VR can be. If you emerge on the other end and claim this is a gimmick at risk of a quick death, I'd be surprised.

At $800, the Vive is far from an affordable toy. But I insist the price is well worth paying. Don’t compare this to a mouse, keyboard or joystick. Don’t even compare it to a racing wheel. The Vive and Rift signal the beginning of a new era in gaming. When 4K displays first surfaced, they sold for thousands of dollars. New technology always commands a high price. And what you're paying for VR is actually quite reasonable in that context. You just can't quantify the level of entertainment the Vive delivers.

High prices will come down, and more enthusiasts will be able to afford the Vive months from now. If you have the money to buy in now, you won’t be disappointed. If you don't, make a friend who does. Or you could consider selling some teeth. And just imagine how slaying skeletons will help keep your mind off the pain!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

From Forbes:

http://archive.is/iK0fV
For the last 7 days I’ve been playing virtual reality games that are laughably simple, but I’m having a blast and there’s no sign of this childlike glee wearing off anytime soon. I don’t want to undersell this so let me be crystal clear: my time with the HTC Vive thus far represents the most fun I’ve ever had with video games, and it’s the most invigorated I’ve felt about the medium since Nintendo released the original Gameboy when I was 13 years old.
Played some more Vanishing Realms today. The combat is a blast (as is the exploration). Sword and Shield. Feels like actual combat should. Life size skeleton in front of you. When he swings at you your shield, and it's exactly as if you were holding a shield in your hand, better be up to block. His head exposed after the swing, I reach over his shield and jab him in the face with my sword. Talk about intuition, you're not wondering what button to press, you're weapons are there precisely where you move them.

The first time I got shot at by an archer I instinctively blocked it with my shield, arrow stuck in shield, looks so cool when everything is to scale. I ducked behind a large pot, skelly shot the pot exposing me. I was like , "oh shit!" and ran for a pillar for protection. Peeking out from the pillar with just my head, when the skeleton saw me he's fire off a shot, sometimes hitting the pillar, sometimes whizzing by me. I'd catch a few with the shield, getting used to the speed at which the arrows came at me. The layout of the area made it so I had to dodge and block as I searched for a way to reach the archer. The speed at which the shots came gave me just enough time to react if I was quick enough to dodge or block. Once I reached him, it was satisfying to beat him down with my sword.

Once I obtained my own bow and arrows, shooting mobs with those were equally as fun. It was a fun game of back and forth combating another archer from a distance. I'd hit him, he'd move around, I'd bounce one off his helmet, etc. Felt like a real fight. When I blocked an arrow with my shield the tip of the arrow would stick out on the other side of the shield (right in front of my eyes typically)

The combat was physical but not taxing. You have a sword in your hand but you're waving around the controller which are pretty light so it takes some energy but it's not like you'll be exhausted after a few battles and have to stop. For example, breaking pots/barrels to search for look only takes a shake of the wrist to swing your sword, not full arm strokes, but positioning your sword to get by defenses of a mob takes more movement.

Vanishing Realms is the work of ONE person. Pretty amazing what he's accomplished by himself. Even in it's alpha state I'm having a blast. You simply don't have to worry about learning controller schemes etc. down near your waste are icons for your swords, shields, bow, you can quickly switch between them and also cycle though your inventory just by moving your controller to the side where you pouch is. I imagine AAA games from the mega companies will be pretty awesome but it seems perhaps that it may take less people to make a great game in VR.

For example, in AltVR, which is a social place that people design VR themed rooms. You enter AltVR and there's a wall of choices of places you can teleport to. One I chose was a Frisbee Golf game that someone had designed. Again, super basic controls. when you are close to your Frisbee it is automatically picked up, you then use the trigger to wind up your throw, the longer you hold the trigger the stronger the throw, the rest is you moving your controller around to angle and point the frisbee. Amazingly fun. I played a full game (9 holes). This was "techno frisbee" not outside in a park. So it was rooms with obstacles, etc. I bogeyed most holes so I'll be heading back there soon to try and improve my score.

Another room was like a tavern. There were weapons, flaming pumkins, hammers, etc to throw around while chatting with people if you wished. In another room people were watching random youtube videos in a big theater styled room. You can walk around (well teleport around) with your avatar. Someone accused me of putting on a video ( which was hilarious btw) so I bolted because I didn't feel like chatting. Vives and Rifts have built in mics BTW so it's easy to communicate if you want. I had mine on mute while I explored.

Pretty damn cool stuff. Zero motion sickness. They've nailed everything needed to make VR great. The only two remaining things to improve on are resolution (needs to be double what it is IMO which existing GPUs can't handle but maybe the next generation can) and eventually some day be wireless.

If anyone ends up getting one, I scored 16 Million in Slingshot destruction in The Lab. Beat that!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Couple more games to talk about.

I purchased Audioshield.

When you watch a video of it, it's not impressive. It's a music beat game. $18 isn't terrible but also it's enough to not completely throw away. People seemed to love it so I picked it up.

Happy I did. The interface is outstanding. Along similar lines as with many other Vive games, the controllers morph into very cool shields. You even have a choice of a few styles depending on how you like to hold your controllers.

Very basic game. Right hand Red Shield. Left Hand Blue. Placed together they form a Purple Shield.

Similar to Guitar Hero, you have shit flying at you. Punch or block it with the right color or combo of both.

You'd think, eh, ok been there, done that before...just..not the same in VR. Immersed in the game, haptic feedback is the key. As you punch/block stuff, you get feedback which adds a lot to the experience. Along with that, sparks flying around etc add to the visual effects which doesn't translate into 2D lame videos you see.

There are a few things you're scored on: Accuracy, Style, Physical Exertion, and strongest "punch". No clue how style is measured but it can tell how much your waving around those shields and the speed you hit something, etc.

There is a "song of the day" as well as what looked like about the to 40 or so most popular songs on Sound Cloud. Some great stuff but you also have complete access to your own songs on your hard drive(s). I tried several of my songs out of curiosity and the game did a pretty good job mapping out the rhythm/beats. There is easy/normal/hard modes. The higher the mode, the more accurate it is I think. I tried them on normal and was impressed.

Game wise, I had fun and was dancing around a bit as I played. You don't really need to move your feet at all but you may end up hopping around to the beat. Hard mode will keep you busy, don't plan on perfect scores all the time. I was high 80's to low 90 percent range. Besides my own music, it also seems like a good way to try out new music. I don't often listen to new music but may find some stuff I like as I play the game to it.

-------

Cloudlands Minigolf:

Downloaded the demo of this one. It's miniture golf! While visually, this game looks very good and will eventually be a great multiplayer game once that's implemented. I'd like to point out some cool VR stuff. The putter for example. Looks great in your hand like other controller mods but it also self adjusted to my height. As you press down on the grown the putter shortens and lengthens as you pull up making it the perfect height for anyone that uses it. Nice. The other thing is the score card. Press the touch pad and the score pops up floating in front of you no matter where you're facing etc. A very nicely stylized score card. It's worth mentioning because that's a huge benefit to VR. You don't go looking up at a corner of the screen or root around the UI. The UI comes to you. Last thing is the teleport. After you putt the ball, you teleport into roughly the right position to make your next put. But also, if it's a long hole or the ball rolls down a ramp behind something etc, you can teleport to the ball at anytime while it's in motion to get a view of what's going on and watch the rest of the path it travels.

I learned something about myself today as well. I'm one of those people that does half the things with my right hand and the other half with the left. I don't have a dominant hand for everything. I throw overhand left handed but bat right handed for example. Write left handed, but bowl right handed, strongest kicking is right leg, strongest arm right, etc etc. It's a mess and pretty much 50/50 chance of whether I do something left or right handed. Anyway, I've always golfed right handed. I've always putted right handed but I figured out tonight that I actually putt better left handed. Fuck. No wonder I sucked when I was in the Jr PGA as a kid!

Budget Cuts:

Another pre-release demo. Wow. This game is great. Lets see...in one hand you have a "teleport gun" that shoots at a spot. You then can use a portal type window to look around to see if any evil robots about. Very clever use of the portal gun and also your main weapon are thowing knives. Now, you can be all sneaky like and kill most of the robots from around corners, etc. Can distract them by throwing objects, but if you miss or one spots you, it's on. They come at you and you better be accurate with your knives. I missed on a couple throws and was down to my last knife and managed to kill the robot right as it was almost on top of me. Adrenalin rush!

Also notable in this game, and a running theme it seems, is how cool and innovative the controllers are used in the game. They look fantastic and you can swap out types of weapons, etc easily.

Not sure if I mentioned it already but I cancelled my Rift order yesterday. I'll give it another look once they have their Touch controllers and maybe a room scale solution. No doubt that Vive is the clear choice for now. Motion controllers/Room Scale totally make VR a much much better experience. You can probably eventually get by with a pretty small area set aside (bigger the better though) but no way motion controllers should be ignored.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've been playing video games for 39 years...

I'm going to turn 50 next year.

I started gaming when I was ten and my dad brought home an Apple II. I learned to program in assembler making rinky dink video games and loved it.

I hung out in arcades with friends through most of the 80s and in the 90s played doom over Dwango till 5AM when I had to get to work at 8.

Even though I've been in the tech field as a developer for almost 30 years, video games have always been a strong hobby.

I got my Vive yesterday and was blown away. It took a while to accept the low resolution and screen door effect, but once your brain accepts it and you're fully immersed, all I can say is... wow!

After playing with it for about 6 hours, getting lost in games like Audioshield, Final Approach, Fantastic Contraption, The Lab, I felt as excited for games (and other software) as I did as a ten year old, all of 39 years ago.

Wow.
Don't mean to clutter up the thread with so many comments about initial impressions of VR but at I'm getting close to the same age as these people, it also makes me think back to what we had as teenagers. 1984 I got the Commodore 64. I used that thing to death. 32 years ago. What a massive wave of technology that has swept over the planet since then. 32 years...I'm envious, at least when it comes to tech, at teenagers today and what they'll be seeing over the next 32 years, at an even more increased rate of change. Holy fuck. It's truly hard to imagine what things will be like that long from now when you think about the changes that have taken place since the mid 80's.

I think our generation grew up in an amazing time. From no computers to a total reliance on them and an amazing internet and connected world. Great time to live considering the stagnation of growth most lifetimes experienced in the past, but at the same time, I think we missed the boat by about 30 or so years as to life extension, and some other amazing things to happen coming soon. I think we'll be the last generation to grow old and die around 100 years max lifetime. IMO opinion, millennials will see 125-150 and the next leap will be permanent life through cloning etc. Tech/Bio discoveries are coming faster at an exponential rate. Of course there's always the caveat that we might destroy ourselves as a race as well.

100 years ago, people were barely getting electricity and the first consumer Model T car. Wright Brothers 1903 first powered flight ever. (66 years later humans landed on the moon)

100 years before I was born? Hop on board! Slavery just ended!

100 Years before my dad was born? the U.S was about 50 years old as a nation. CA, AZ, NM, TX, CO, UT, NV weren't states yet. Life expectancy: between 30-40 years.

So yeah, things are progressing pretty damn fast lately. Kinda of went off topic but I found the timelines interesting and eye opening, especially life expectancy over the past 100 years near doubling.

Back to VR!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

So on Audioshield.

Really fun game just for a little exercise if nothing else. It's impressive how the game analyzes a song you pick off your hard drive to create the patterns for the game. I received my first 10.0 score on AC/DC Back in Black. It has a pretty straight forward rhythm to it.

In contrast, I loaded up Dresden Dolls, Girl Anachronism and ...man is that a lot more of a challenge.

If you've listened to that song Dresden Dolls Girl Anachronism you know it's pretty chaotic. So instead of blue balls/streaks mostly on the left and Red balls/streaks on the right, the game threw up on screen a mad pattern or shit that was all over the place. Quite a change from Back in Black.

The basics of this game are set and don't need to change. Now they can keep putting up new environments to play in.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Hopefully you stocked up on Soylent because it doesn't sound like you've left your house for awhile.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Yep! Took a few weeks off just to play around in VR.

Watch this video, about 5 minutes long, to get an idea of immersion in the world you're in:

https://youtu.be/iNMq3oqGBN0?t=29s

Can see how intuitive things are as well. Some things to note. Watch how she throws the first vent cover across the room and then how carefully she removes the next one she sees. Also seeing how easy it is to move things around (key to safe, throwing knives) and how fast and easy the UI for the controllers is to figure out. I skipped about 30 seconds but you can play from start to see she goes from knowing nothing about the game to easily working with the tools available in the game.

Last thing, is look how intense it gets at the end for something that wouldn't nearly be as intense if you weren't right there in the world with what's happening.

Good stuff! (yes the cable sucks sometimes to move our of the way. You get used to it but not optimal. Long time before we get powerful wireless headsets I think though)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

For science, I checked out some virtual porn.

Wow. System Seller!

Really not much to say on this one. Quality VR Porn 360/180 videos put you right there. Couple things. I didn't realize how nice some of these porn stars teeth are. Seriously, when you're inches from someone you notice everything. Bad teeth are something you might get by with in regular porn but that's not happening in VR pr0n.

Another thing I noticed was the settings. This particular video shows like 50 different 10-15 second video clips. One scene was by a negative edge pool overlooking an ocean and I wanted to push the girl's head that was sucking "my" cock out of the way for a better view of the scenery but I couldn't . : (

Anyway, if you're going to watch porn, this is the way to do it. And that's only for starters. Virtual Porn with 3D models will be some pretty amazing stuff with interaction etc.

---------------------

I finally think I have my Vive adjusted to my liking. It does, at least for me, take awhile to get the three straps adjusted correctly for a perfect fit. There's also the IPD setting to play around with. It's best if you know your IPD because there's no setup that helps determine it with the Vive like there was with the Rift. There's on on screen display showing the IPD it's set to as you spin knob on the side of the headset but I couldn't really tell much of a difference. I measured my IPD using a ruler/mirror trick and set it to that.

I watched an old Game of Thrones episode last night in VR and it's very watchable but far from being better than a good HDTV due to resolution. But, I definitely will be checking out 3D movies/shows in the Vive. Nothing compares to 3D in VR compared to the glasses and a "3D" TV solution. Watching a 3D movie on a virtual screen while within a virtual theater or other virtual setting allows for some crazy shit to take place since the areas around the picture can be affected. Also the lighting.

---------------------

Games:

Bought Final Approach. The price was reduced to 19.99 from 29.99 with a note from the publisher saying they were still getting feedback on pricing and were adjusting it due to that feedback. It's another game that just really doesn't look all that impressive in normal videos. You play most of the time in God Mode above various airports, directing traffic, landing planes and helicopters, putting out fires, but there's also some combat etc that I haven't even got to yet.

This is a prime example of how incredibly cool a table top type game can be in VR. The miniature planes, helicopters etc look so cool flying all around you. Your controllers are hands in this case and you're drawing flight paths through the sky to land, take off, etc. The game also takes you down to the grown full scale in first person when there are first to put out (hosing down a plane) or using an air horn to scare off pigeons causing problems on the runway.

What a fun game to play. I'm impressed with the diversity of games available already at launch. The possibilities are endless to coin a cliche.

Another surprisingly cool demo I tried was Jeeboman. It's a futuristic shooter and another cool use of the controllers. Notable in this one was the types of weapons and how they fired. Some bounced off walls kind of like the laser gun fire in the trash compactor in Star Wars. If you held the touch pad button down it would go into slow motion. Really cool to watch a rocket fire in slow mo and head off toward it's target.
-------------------------------------

Only problem I see right now is that they can't make enough Rifts and Vives. The demand is huge. HTC just pushed back new orders expected ship dates to June for the Vive and the Rift is now August. The bad news for Oculus Rift is that you can still get the full package Vive with Motion Controllers before the Touch controllers even start shipping...and once they do start shipping, everyone that's pre-ordered a Rift before you (March through August for now) has priority on getting those touch controllers first.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Only problem I see right now is that they can't make enough Rifts and Vives. The demand is huge. HTC just pushed back new orders expected ship dates to June for the Vive and the Rift is now August.
I doubt "demand" has anything to do with it. If you can't get your PRE-ORDERS out on time then you are simply failing. That's the whole point of a pre-order.
Oculus Rift's launch is looking increasingly dire as more customers with pre-orders are seeing their shipping dates pushed back further into the year.

"We've been working through an unexpected component shortage, and unfortunately the issue has impacted has impacted the original shipping estimates for some early customers," an earlier statement from Oculus explained. Pre-order customers saw the costs of shipping waived as a way to apologize for the delay, but it seems as if this is an ongoing issue, and could be getting worse.

Customers have received emails that have, in many cases, delayed the shipping estimates by months. The estimated ship date for new hardware ordered today has moved from July to August, meaning any new orders are four months away from reaching customers.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Oculus is screwing up big time. Rumor has it that the shortage has something to do with Microsoft' wireless dongle for the controller. This hurts developers as well since there are not people to sell their games to since so few have been released, plus developers can't even get their Rifts.

Whatever the hold up is, and they aren't saying probably due to contracts stating that they can't badmouth the company that's short the components, they have failed miserably in PR, etc.

HTC on the other hand , is actually pumping Vive's out as fast as possible and the delivery date for new orders is still out into June.

Oculus would still be way backlogged even if this particular component shortage wasn't a problem, but now it's a ridiculous August time frame for new orders.

To be clear, Vive is the VR Headset to get. It's no contest when it comes to immersion with motion controllers and room scale. Consumers should be justifiably concerned about the timeline on when Oculus will come out with their Touch Controllers.

I'm betting the "attachment" rate for paid games for Vive/Rift is higher than for consoles even though IMO the best game/app is The Lab, which is free.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Gotta admit I like the President of Sony's Worldwide Studios for Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. He's been posting about the Rift and Vive. Looks like he's been trying out VR first hand for himself from the competition and knows how awesome it is.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Gotta admit I like the President of Sony's Worldwide Studios for Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Everyone loves Shu. Unless they are a cold hearted heathen!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Someone figured out a hack to allow Rift games/experiences to be played on the Vive.

Lucky's Tale was one of the games that was patched to allow it to play on the Vive.

First, it is pretty cool to play a platformer in 3D. The way it's designed you can look around and see the entire level sprawled out around you. Fun to play and VR adds to the enjoyment of the game.

I got motion sick playing it though. To be fair, I don't think the game was playing at 90FPS due to the patch not being perfect yet. VR sickness sucks something awful. I think it was playing at 60FPS instead of 90FPS. Just noting because it's extremely important in VR to not screw up anything or you run into motion/VR sickness issues which can last hours after you stop. It's also a note to not try and use an underpowered PC. If you can't get up to ath 90 FPS, you'll run into issues. I Haven't experienced any at all in Vive games so far.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I picked up Space Pirate Trainer and gave it a go.

Game is straight forward. You're standing on a space platform and robot drones attack in waves. You have a choice of weapons in both hands..single fire, rapid fire, laser beam, etc. Also you can switch to a shield in either hand to block incoming fire.

True to almost every VR game I've played, the weapons and switching of things in your hands is outstanding. Weapon switching uses the touch pads but if you need to quickly swap a hand to a shield to block incoming fire, you simply reach over your shoulder and your weapon changes into a shield. Reaching back over your shoulder changes it back to a weapon.

It's the first game that I lost all sense of RL location that I slammed into my TV. If you don't have one of your shields up then you need to physically get out of the way.

Here are some people playing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIEuB7H9TOE

Of course, as always, can't really tell how intense, fun it is unless you are in VR yourself! You can see how much they move around though.

I ordered some VR covers. These games that require physical exertion tend to make you sweat and that gets on the headset foam. Here's what I ordered to be able to easily wash:
Tattos are extra!

The foam itself is easily removable. It's attached by velcro but there aren't any replacement foam padding thingies available yet so good idea to keep current one in decent condition.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Why PlayStation VR may be the best platform for Eve: Valkyrie

The PlayStation VR version of the game is an impressive achievement. Valkyrie is a graphically intensive game, and framerate has to be rock-solid for a comfortable VR experience. While it's clear the game doesn't look quite as good on the PlayStation 4 as it does on a high-end gaming PC, you're comparing a console that is sold for $350 with hardware that's around $950 for a minimum-spec Oculus Rift system.

I was able to play a few rounds on the PlayStation VR, and it was a comfortable experience. Valkyrie's framerate never dipped and the game remains as beautiful, if a bit more jagged, than the PC version. Having spent so much time in the retail versions of the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive, the comfort level of the PlayStation VR hardware is even more striking.

If given the choice of all three systems, I could see myself choosing to play on the PlayStation simply due to the low weight headset and the ease with which you can put it on and take it off, even with glasses. Another advantage the PlayStation VR version has over the Rift version is the PlayStation 4's ability to output the game to the television, full-screen, natively.

The breakout box handles all the heavy lifting, so anyone in the room with you when you play will be able to get a good look at what you're seeing in-game. The Rift version outputs a small window to the desktop while you play, oriented vertically. The PlayStation VR version, in other words, doesn't just benefit from the comfort of Sony's hardware, but the company's focus on the social aspects of VR. It will be an easier version of the game to spectate or stream.
Well duh. Everything is better on PlayStation.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It should read: if you don't have a top end PC and wear glasses, Sony's PSVR may be the best option.

I have the Vive which, of the three, is considered the most difficult to put on. It's basically like putting on some goggles once you have the straps adjusted. If you're swapping the headset with other people often, Sony would probably be the best if VR headset swapping is the most important thing to you instead of quality VR.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

BigScreen Beta

This free app on Steam allows you to use your desktop inside VR which is cool and has been done with Virtual Desktop.

One thing, not sure why, but the screen looks very clear.

This video doesn't do it justice but here's an idea of what id does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWkdUuRds9k

The cool thing about BigScreenVR is that you can jump into a room or set your own room up and share your screen.

I hopped into a six person room with 5 people already in it. I could see all of their screens. It's like a virtual LAN party. The audio is crisp and clear from the other people in the room.

Anyone can click a button and throw their screen up on the big screen if they want.

Highly customizable . You can have your screen inches from your face or 20 feet away, any size and can curve it if it's close to make it easier to see everything.

This will be great for all sorts of things. I can see MMO guilds using six man partys, if someone wants to show you something you can walk over to their screen (literally if you have room scale)

Will be interesting to see if any copyright issues arise since anything on your screen is able to be viewed. If you want to show a movie to some friends and hang out, can pop it up on the big screen and hang out and watch together.

Yet another thing that doesn't seem that interesting when you see in in 2D but is badass in VR.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Oculus launch gets stranger as hardware hits Best Buy and others before pre-orders fulfilled
Nice!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm glad the Vive turned out to be the better choice because the Oculus Rift launch is the worst I've ever seen. A complete fuck up.