Hearthstone

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Hearthstone

Post by Winnow »

Dudes. This game is fun.

Not a fan at all of card games. I could never get into Magic the Gathering but Hearthstone is a lot of fun to play. Blizzard (I hate them) did a great job with the presentation. You can jump right in and have fun. There's a very good tutorial that gets you up to speed as you play the first six games.

Free to play. You gain tons of cards and can unlock all 9 heroes and their basic cards. Expert card packs are reasonably cheap but you also have quests that allow you to get packs as rewards with a rare card as reward.

Highly recommend anyone that liked Magic the Gathering in the slightest to try this out. Plenty of single player content and of course you can go head to head with others.

It would be nice if it was on the consoles or iOS. The PC game is solid. (it's on Mac as well)

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

Give it a shot. You'll most likely like it if you like card games at all and maybe even if you don't.

I'm giving it a .5/10

All blizzard games get an automatic -9 from me so that's a really good score if you don't hate Blizzard.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Hearthstone

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I can't wait until it's on ipad. I really is a great 10-15 minute match.

I won my 3 games in a row and unlocked my WoW mount the other night. Some of the people they matched me against completely destroyed me. I never stood a chance. I hope that is nit a symptom of shitty matchmaking.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I can't wait until it's on ipad. I really is a great 10-15 minute match.

I won my 3 games in a row and unlocked my WoW mount the other night. Some of the people they matched me against completely destroyed me. I never stood a chance. I hope that is nit a symptom of shitty matchmaking.
I don't know but I lost my first two matches against other people. I'm having a blast customizing my mage deck. I figure I'll get familiar with that before venturing off to the other eight heroes.

I've already been awarded three or four expert packs so this game is very generous giving cards without needing to pay. The games are a perfect length IMO.

Soon as I get a little better I'll hand out my Hearthstone name in case someone wants to duel when on. Seems to be great balance to the game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Lots of decks and suggestions here:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/

Looks like a well put together site. I think I've been doing ok building my deck. I've been tweeking it every couple games. It's a taunting nightmare to the opposition. Works well if not too much direct damage from the Hero.

Early strategy:

throw out low level taunt cards

throw out card that increases +1/+1 each time I cast a spell. Amazing how often I've gotten a card to slowly build into a powerful card while they deal with all the taunting small cards.

Image X 2

Image X 2

then high level instant charge attack cards

At least it was an initial plan I made up for Mage class.

What a great game this is.

I'd love to have that card!

Heartstone on the iPad:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/385-first ... -ipad-deck

sweeeet
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I never thought I would say "I'm getting my ass pummeled and loving it" but that seems to be the case with Hearthstone.

I've been playing the past two days losing (against players) almost always but learning. I'm not sure if the Mage will be my class but I got it to level 20. I tried Warlock briefly but am now trying out the Priest.

What a great game. I spent 9.99 for 7 "expert packs". 5 cards in a pack and at least one rare. I managed to get two epics. I disenchanted one purple (epic) and was awarded 95 more "dust" so have enough to craft two rare cards. I haven't done it yet because I don't want to waste the crafted cards on a class I don't want, although there are some nice rare Neutral cards.

Highly recommend any card gamers and even those that aren't check out the game. Very well designed, no need to spend anything to have fun.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/

is a solid help site.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm doing much better playing as a Priest.

Since being new means not having the best cards, I use these cards:

Image x2 Image x2

Allows me to grab some good cards from my opponent's deck,

Image x2

I crafted two of the above after disenchanting an epic card for the dust. I see them in a lot of decks and they work really well with Priest healing decks.

Now, instead of losing ten games in a row, I'm winning more than losing. Only 22nd level so far (it goes in reverse, you start at level 25 and work way to level 1)

I've been extremely entertained all weekend playing this.

I need two of the above but I don't want to waste burning cards for Dust to craft common cards. Two of the Temple Enforcer cards would be a nice boost to my deck.

If I get those two, I have a solid newbie deck that doesn't rely on Epic or Legendary cards.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

HA! Had a great match tonight. I was playing against another Priest. In the span of two turns my opponent built a juggernaut of a card. It had like 4 or 5 enhancements. You see me with 4 points left and my opponent with 2. That's after he smashed me with the 23/26 card you see. He "apologized" as it looked like he was going to win. Thankfully he was a little short and I played and Mind control and next turn walloped him down to two points and threw out Defender of Argus giving that same card taunt so he couldn't take out my last 4 points. I took this screenshot right before I did excessive damage to win the match!

This game is balanced well. You can have fun early on. The games have enough twists and turns and the 9 classes different enough to make things always interesting. Playing a Priest, my deck shines later in the game so If I can survive a mad rush, I can slowly plod away building a beastly attack/defense. On the flip side. If the cards don't fall right, I can get obliterated in just a few moves. With healing ability, I can let the opponent beat on me with low level cards awhile as I can slowly heal up after I throw out a strong taunt wall later on.

Priest can be a frustrating opponent. Mind control will drive you nuts. All of the healing abilities makes it hard to win in the middle game. Best chance vs Priest is to take them out early before they build up the healing machine.

From reading the boards, priest is considered the weakest class by many so we'll see.

This game is excellent as it allows for short ~15 minute games you can squeeze in without needing to dedicates a large block of time and you only have like 6 emotes and can't talk to your opponent which is great. No waiting for matches. You get them right away.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I want to play, but I don't want to play then PC version then start from scratch on my iPad. That will be my primary platform for playing this game.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Just an FYI but I've been playing this on my surface pro with the touchscreen and it works great. YMMV on other Wintel Touch PC's though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I want to play, but I don't want to play then PC version then start from scratch on my iPad. That will be my primary platform for playing this game.
I haven't looked into it but are you sure it's not just a client and your cards are the same on all platforms?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I wouldn't be surprised that the iPad client was it's own thing with a different way to buy cards. I don't think Blizzard/Activision wants to give Apple 30% of all their micro transactions that may occur on the iPad.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://kotaku.com/the-ipad-version-of-h ... 1557198380

Hearthstone for iPad out in a few mini markets. Should hit the US soon. I recommend everyone get it!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I want to play, but I don't want to play then PC version then start from scratch on my iPad. That will be my primary platform for playing this game.
I can confirm that your card collection is available on any platform you play on. If you earn/buy cards on the PC, you have access to them on the iPad and vice versa.

You card deck/builds are saved in the cloud as well.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I played 10-15 hands of this on my Surface Pro a while back (Desktop version works great with touch input as well, Kudos Blizzard). It's a fun game if you enjoy a lighter version of MtG. Not something I would play for hours on end though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
That's not unexpected. I realize the majority of your brain power needs to be focused on things like buying the right format of a game.
Animalor wrote:I played 10-15 hands of this on my Surface Pro a while back (Desktop version works great with touch input as well, Kudos Blizzard). It's a fun game if you enjoy a lighter version of MtG. Not something I would play for hours on end though.
That's exactly what it's for. Nice quick games you can pick up and play whenever you feel like for a short time. Perfect for the iPad.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I have a bunch of free card packs that came with my D3 CE. I'll DL this for my ipad an cash them in later.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Another unoriginal idea Blizzard stole from EverQuest*. Legends of Norrath has been around for nearly 7 years!

Zzzzz, indeed.

*(And I don't mean card games in general since obviously that idea wasn't original to EQ either.)
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

As I said, I'm anything but a Blizzard supporter but they did it right with this game. Move along if you have no interest in card games. I could head over the food forum and Zzzz every thread I suppose if that's the new cool thing to do!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

That is fucking epic coming from you.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

P. S. card games = ZZZZZZzzzzz
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Notice the huge PS3 logo.

I'm here to help!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not understanding. That's the same logo on every retail PS3 game .

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:You're drunk Leonard, go home.

I bought this on the store last night. I only noticed after I bought it that I got the vita version. Kinda irritated, because I'd rather play it on ps3, and really if it's on both consoles it should be cross buy.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

You're late, I already bought it on the PS3.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:You're drunk Leonard, go home.

I bought this on the store last night. I only noticed after I bought it that I got the vita version. Kinda irritated, because I'd rather play it on ps3, and really if it's on both consoles it should be cross buy.
That was from days ago. And from a totally different thread wtf.

And he said he bought it on the store not at the store. You don't see that "huge PS3 logo".

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hearthstone is finally available on the iPad worldwide. (free)

https://itunes.apple.com/app/hearthston ... 57520?mt=8

Excellent Card Game.