FFX/FFX-2 HD

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

FFX/FFX-2 HD

Post by Winnow »

Jesus Christ. The first 10 seconds of this is better than the entire Lighting Returns game.

Looks great in HD so far. They did a good job.

PS3 release Includes:

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X: Eternal Calm
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy X-2: Last Mission
Bonus Audio

24 GBs so they did quite a bit of work improving everything. Not sure if I'm going to play X or X-2 first!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: FFX/FFX-2 HD

Post by Leonaerd »

I would totally play X again. Never did Eternal Calm. I wonder if that's any good.

X-2 was such garbage for the few hours I managed to play.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

These were the only FF games I haven't played, and I intend on picking this up. Well I suppose I didn't really play 8 either, I played like 2 hours of it and it was so terrible I shut it off and never touched it again.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:I would totally play X again. Never did Eternal Calm. I wonder if that's any good.

X-2 was such garbage for the few hours I managed to play.
Reading another forum, it's about a split between X and X-2 on what people preferred. I played X and only part of X-2. I prefer to have no time limits during combat so X is what I prefer but I need to give X-2 another shot since many of the lame RPGs out today have the action timers so I've gotten a little more used to it. I didn't take enough time to get used to the "dress" system in X-2.

Either way, if a fan of FF, one or both of these are classics. Worth checking out at some point.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I remember completely hating X and X-2's story and characters. Not sure why. I preferred 12 and 14 to it (I bothered finishing those).

8 and X are largely the only ones I didn't enjoy.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:I remember completely hating X and X-2's story and characters. Not sure why. I preferred 12 and 14 to it (I bothered finishing those).

8 and X are largely the only ones I didn't enjoy.
How did you finish 14?

12 was OK but 10 is the best IMO. Opinions on FF games vary quite a bit.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

FF3 (us name, FF6 in japan) and FF7 were the best.

But chrono trigger is probably still the best jrpg I've ever played!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

FF7 is the obvious call...but I liked FF8. It wasn't great...liked it as much as FF9. FFX I didn't care for but still played it through. X-2 never bothered. 12 was lots of fun, hope they HD that one up. Great political story, vs stupid downtrodden boy gets strong story (although that's obviously there too but truly secondary). 14 made me realize there's no hope for future FF rpg's ever coming close to FF7 again.

But back on topic, I would probably play through X again if I had nothing better to do, in HD. Why not? The witch girl spawned a crazy amount of super hawt girls dressing up cosplay style!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sorry sir but I have to call your credibility on ff into serious question if you not only imply 8 was even remotely good, but also day 14 is that bad. You need to get your mind right!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

My bad - Meant 13. I finished XIII and XIII-2. I enjoyed those. Never played the MMO's.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, same mistake, meant 13...the one with Lightning. Hated it. 14 is the mmo, so i preclude from judgement :) What exactly did you hate about 8? I said it wasn't great...as in I could play it through...and not regret paying for it. I regret paying $20 for 13.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I just recall coming out of 8 and just feeling really ...meh... about the characters and the settings. Kinda like I did with X. I finished 8 though. Got to the last boss of X and was getting spanked and didn't have the will to go powerlevel my characters
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I just recall coming out of 8 and just feeling really ...meh... about the characters and the settings. Kinda like I did with X. I finished 8 though. Got to the last boss of X and was getting spanked and didn't have the will to go powerlevel my characters
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I didn't really like the setting, and really didn't care for the combat. I played more than a couple hours, cause I remember being a few bosses in before I realized I should've been drawing their abilities out of them. This made me nor want to keep playing. I think it was basically just not explained, I remember my cousin saying he quit playing it for the same reason.

I liked 13, but to each their own.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Speaking of FF 13, I just couldn't get into it. I would play for an hour or 2, then drop it only to pick it up again months or years later. Rinse and repeat. When I attempt again, and I will play it again some day, I'll start from the beginning...again! I did buy the sequel for next to nothing, and I'll buy Lightening Returns someday as well.

I am interested in this remake, but I already have 6-8ish FF games on my Vita alone to get through eventually! If I got these it would have to be a pretty deep discount sale down the road.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

With the FFX/X-2 HD release, the first thing you'll notice is how fucking fantastic the environments look compared to FFXIII (especially Lightening Returns) It's almost as if FFXIII happened after a great holocaust where all creativity and colors were lost.

Keeping in mind FFX began development in 1999 (15 years ago) and was released in 2001, it looks really good. Oddly, while the new cut scenes are obviously higher quality, most of the faces look worse on the new stuff, making me wonder again if there was some sort of catastrophe at the company that sucked creativity and talent out of the company. It's also nice that some of the treasure chests are actually pretty far out of the way and not obvious.
I can’t overstate how impressed I am by the visual quality of both titles. This goes far beyond just a new coat of HD paint. The main cast character models have clearly had a lot of work done, and while they still look a bit dated compared to modern releases, I think you’ll really be surprised by how great they look in action. Even minor characters and monsters look pretty sharp, and the texture work done to environments, along with the effort to properly render the game in a 16 x 9 format, are all commendable efforts. I realize that there are elements to this release that were outsourced which initially gave me cause for concern, but the overall quality here isn’t hurt by it.
I really believe this to be one of the best high-definition repackages on the market, surpassing just about every other publisher’s efforts to date. This isn’t just a simple nostalgia cash-grab that you’ll be disappointed with, but instead this comes off as a fantastic effort to preserve the fond memories of both titles for any Final Fantasy fan. The modern day Square Enix track record rarely does itself any favors, but this is one instance where I think the company and talented folks involved should be commended for their effort.
Here is a nice example of the differences between original and new versions of FFX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpwr_mRSGFM&hd=1

This has to do with the remixed sound track for FFX (X-2 unchanged) but you can see the visual improvements. 1st half old, 2nd half of video new.

I played FFX up until Yuna. At that point, I remember part of what I didn't like about FFX...the puzzles. Thankfully there are guides for that so I don't have to bother much. FFX also has a seriously high random encounter rate.

I started up FFX-2 and the jump in graphics quality is very noticeable over FFX. The first thing I did was turn off "active" mode (after the lengthy intro) and went to "wait" (turn based) mode. I don't see the point of active mode. It's not a twitch game. All that does it force you to work through your menus faster to try and find items, skills, attacks, etc. I didn't get much past that as I was tired. Now that I recall, I didn't play much more than that with the original so I need to play some more to see how the combat/dress thing goes.

Another thing you'll notice is how great the music is in FFX (especially compared to FFX Lightening Returns which is an absolutely horrible game in all respects) Menu music, traveling, combat, etc. it's all excellent.

I think we can all agree (except for Funk) that Lightening Returns is an embarrassment to the franchise, or you will if you ever check it out when it hits PN+. The original FFXIII did have some decent music. After the revamp, FFXIV is solid but that's in the MMO class.

I'm hopeful for FFXV which is the 7+ year old game (2006) sausage fest, Versus, but with it having been delayed forever and probably reworked multiple times, I don't know what to expect. I hope Square-Enix rediscovers the color pallet. Since it was originally meant for 360/PS3, I hope they take the time to upgrade everything for the more powerful consoles.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Back up a second. FF8 was an incredible game. The story was epic as FUCK. The music was intense. The draw system and battles were fucking AWESOME!!! How are you guys seriously not realizing this? The infinite customization available with magic junctioning. The abilities learned through summon monsters - and their affinities to each character.

And the boss fights! My god! Ultima Weapon using Light Pillar to insta-kill a character, then attacking again if you weren't quick enough to move. You'd get maybe one good attack on him every four or five moves and the eventual victory was SICK AS TITS.

You're doing it wrong if you didn't like FF8.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

You're drunk Leonard, go home.

I bought this on the store last night. I only noticed after I bought it that I got the vita version. Kinda irritated, because I'd rather play it on ps3, and really if it's on both consoles it should be cross buy.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:You're drunk Leonard, go home.

I bought this on the store last night. I only noticed after I bought it that I got the vita version. Kinda irritated, because I'd rather play it on ps3, and really if it's on both consoles it should be cross buy.
Ah, that's kind of a bummer. I heard the Vita version is a little buggy. It's a great visual game so the bigger screen would have been nice.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I might end up buying it on the PS3 as well. I really want to play them but would much rather play on my tv.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Funkmasterr wrote:You're drunk Leonard, go home.

Try calling Sony. They won't refund but they may exchange. Tell em you don't have the Vita anymore.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Is the Vita version no good? I was going to buy it a little later on, but I figured portable was the way to go, since it would still look pretty good, and I'd be more likely to play it that way.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I bought this on the store last night. I only noticed after I bought it that I got the vita version. Kinda irritated, because I'd rather play it on ps3, and really if it's on both consoles it should be cross buy.
Try calling Sony. They won't refund but they may exchange. Tell em you don't have the Vita anymore.
That seems dishonest! Plus if they REALLY wanted to I'd imagine they could tell you still have the Vita. Since it's tied to your account and all and like you just signed in on it 12 hours ago. It doesn't hurt to try though and be honest and say you bought the wrong version by mistake. The most they can do is say no.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--