Project Spark (Xbox One Console Exclusive)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Project Spark (Xbox One Console Exclusive)

Post by Winnow »

Project Spark beta is available on Xbox One now for anyone that wants to check it out. It's only 1.44 GB (hmmm 1,000 times the size of an old 3.5 Floppy!)

I downloaded Project Spark but after registering is says beta code will become available in 5 days. Project Spark website looks interesting. Can see lots of player made levels already.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Re: Project Spark (Xbox One Console Exclusive)

Post by Animalor »

I have it on PC but haven't made time to actually build something in it yet. Looked really impressive from what I could see.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:I have it on PC but haven't made time to actually build something in it yet. Looked really impressive from what I could see.
My preference is to try it on the Xbox One as I'm more interested in playing player made levels as opposed to creating them. I think the levels will work on both platforms so I'd use Windows 8.1 Project Spark version if I was going to get serious about building a level.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The Least-Hyped Xbox One Game Has The Most Potential
http://kotaku.com/the-least-hyped-xbox- ... 1536852941

This isn't some childish little big planet. Way more fun on Xbox One making stuff in Project Spark. There's three hour+ long videos in that article that go over some of the possibilities and game design for Project Spark.

Mega huge AAA games: Titanfall

Great Indie developer platform to test your skills: Project Spark

Console: Xbox One
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Finally got into Project Spark beta late last night.

Someone created a Flappy Birds clone. Here's my best so far:

http://1drv.ms/1fZpDuQ

I can see why people get pissed playing this game! 5 points!

Pay model is interesting. You don't pay anything if the user created games don't charge for them. If they do decide to charge, you get 40 minutes of "spark" time each day that resets daily (doesn't accumulate). You can play any game(s) for 40 minutes for free. If you buy a particular game, it's of course always free.

Nice model. 40 minutes seems appropriate for the amount of time you might spend on these kind of games. If you get hooked on something, I'm sure the single game/level fee won't be much. I also think you can earn points. I see two different coin systems so not sure how that works yet.

On a more visually impressive side, I tried out a game called Links which is based on Zelda. While rudimentary, it was fun and I can see a bunch of Zelda type games being created with this.

I still think this will be a fantastic aid to Dungeon Masters that play pen and paper D&D but want to use this as a tool to give a visual reference to the worlds they create. It's going to be great for that IMO.

Here's someone youtube demo of Links Adventure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vzC8f55mZI&hd=1

In the overall Spark Project, you level up while playing/creating. Along with this you get coins which can be used to purchase level packs or Spark time.

Here's an hour + video showing a lot of the content possibilities and how levels and daily challenges, etc work:

http://www.twitch.tv/project_spark/c/3243709

One interesting things was "create your game as you play" As you progress through the game, you choose what you want "fight goblins, humans, etc, find hidden well, castle, etc. Kind of like a choose your own adventure book.

On the creation side. You can choose a blank slate, or use the "world wizard" to create the basics using choices like "hills, canyons, flat", water height, terrain height. If you don't like it, you can keep randomizing it. Of course you can do every little detail yourself if you wish and modify after its placed. Adjust scale, etc.

Everything seems cool except it all depends on how greedy they are with building materials. It looks like a pretty limited set of initial tools with lots of packs you can buy to add things to your world. Things look over priced right now. It may be unfortunate if creativity is hindered by cost. On the game play side, 40 minutes a day free looks great as long as creators are willing to pay high prices for content to put in their worlds. The games (so far) aren't worth paying for but just enough fun to screw around with a little while.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Apparently it was "least hyped" for a reason. Dropped off the planet never to be heard from again!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Not like the Xbox servers stay up long enough for you to play it anyhow.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:Not like the Xbox servers stay up long enough for you to play it anyhow.
Blasphemy! 300,000 servers! The Cloud! And stuff...

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Microsoft shuts down Project Spark

Microsoft and developer Team Dakota are killing off Project Spark, their game-making tool for Xbox One and Windows PC. Project Spark will no longer be available for download from the Xbox Store or Windows Store after today, May 13.

Online services, including the ability to download and upload user-generated content, will be unavailable after Aug. 12, according to an update posted to the Project Spark forums.
Another one bites the dust.

I guess potential doesn't mean shit these days!
Winnow wrote:This isn't some childish little big planet. Way more fun on Xbox One making stuff in Project Spark. There's three hour+ long videos in that article that go over some of the possibilities and game design for Project Spark.

Mega huge AAA games: Titanfall

Great Indie developer platform to test your skills: Project Spark

Console: Xbox One
Strike three?
Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:
Apparently it was "least hyped" for a reason. Dropped off the planet never to be heard from again!
Nailed it!

--