South Park RPG Game

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

South Park RPG Game

Post by Winnow »

First 15 mins of South Park game

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/02/14/th ... k-of-truth

Cartman cracks me up!

More info on the game:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/14/ ... -game-ever
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: South Park RPG Game

Post by Winnow »

I've played a few hours of this game and it's great.

You'll like this if:

1. If you like South Park humor
1. You like turn based RPGs (like classic final fantasy games)

The game is surprisingly deep RPG with customization. It's South Park so expect exactly the look you see in the cartoons. Character generation is pretty basic but you'll have plenty of opportunity to screw around with the look of your character with things you find.

Classes:

The games is rated M18 and in the U.S version (Euro is censored) they have serious potty mouths and if you select Jew as your class Cartman says, "I guess we won't be friends then". One of the Jew's attacks is Jew-Jitsu. When selecting your class, Cartman doesn't really explain what they are but the Jew is the cleric type.

I chose Mage but it looks like every class is fun with come funny skills, weapons and special abilities.

When it comes to combat, I love turn-based combat and this game is great at it.

You have the opportunity to block attacks from your opponents. The game will prompt you as to the type of incoming attack and you if you time your block right it will reduce or negate damage and sometimes let you riposte etc.

Taking healing items doesn't waste your turn but only one healing/cure/etc per turn may be taken.

You can modify your weapons with extra damage types, etc. There are perks that boost your character stats or healing/damage etc you can choose from each time you gain 5 friends. Collectibles etc. Lots of appearance items you can find that just mess with the look of your character. There's also the classic character equipment page that allows you to obtain chest/gloves/accessories etc that have special abilities.

You start out with one friend that can join you in combat. Eventually you can pick different friends to join you. You can see from the above screen that each friend has different abilities they can use in combat.

Weapons have special stats and can be modified to an extent. Three mod slots.

It's a full blown RPG to while "South Park" is it's skin, it's a fun turn based RPG game.

Overall, the quest systems works well. After you track down the fast travel it makes things easier as traveling around South Park is about as fun (not) as it looks in the cartoon.

The game is funny. It's turn based combat is fun and in the classic Final Fantasy mold (not the crappy "real time" new ones)

I hear the game is short. Like 14 hours so that is a consideration if paying full price but at some point you're gong to want to play this, be it at launch, discounted price, or Xbox Gold/PN+. I anticipate solid reviews for the game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This game is a lot of fun. Dodgeball is a great ranged weapon.

One thing to note. A little after the first Boss battle I obtained a weapon and it had three extra mods on it. I only got one of them after taking it but I think I could have chosen which of the mods I wanted to keep by selecting it before taking it...example (+5% heal on perfect hit, triple damage vs shields, triple damage vs armor).

Got the gas mask to defend against fart attacks!

This game is a great mix of humor and RPG. Seems balanced so far. Besides fighting it keeps it interesting with random things around town or providing different ways to win a fight.

It cost you a turn but you can swap buddies. I needed Butters because he's got holy damage (Jew class) so swapped Kenny out for him mid battle. The friend abilities are entertaining.

With the fast travel system, the game doesn't slow down too much and there's just enough traveling to make it interesting for exploration but you can avoid repetitive long walks to locations after you discover the fast travel station.

As with some of the Final Fantasy games, there's an "examine" option to check out what your opponent is weak or strong in and also to see if your friend or yourself are afflicted with anything (that needs curing).

Fun stuff. This game has personality. The game mechanics are sound but beyond that, it's fun to spend time in unlike the storyless, drab dialogue of some other resent RPGs released. Also it's more fun to play it than to observed it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just as an example of how much your appearance and stats can change quickly, I just picked up a full set of KKK armor and my AC went from 1 to 16. With the weapon and equipment mods along with the various abilities and perks, there's plenty of strategy in the game. There's at least 4 damage types to deal with and other defenses/attacks mobs have.

Just like when Winnow in EQ had ridiculous regen, I set up my SP character to have a lot of regen with any equipment or mods I can find for that. Had to switch to a 2-handed weapon though as all the KKK armor mods require a 2-Hander.

The replay value might be decent in this game as the class abilities seem interesting but at the same time, it looks like you can wield any weapon or armor you want so I'm more of a tank mage with heavy armor and 2-Handed weapon. Love the dodgeball so far for ranged attack.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

After about 14 hours of play, I can say this is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

It's difficult to say why without spoiling it so I'll say a few general things.

1. There is zero grinding. I'm not done with the game. The beauty of this game is that you don't repeat anything. You're always doing something new.

2. The leveling/pacing is well balanced. You obtain/buy gear at the appropriate pace. Money in the game isn't an issue. If you see a weapon strap-on or equipment patch that looks like it will benefit your current setup, get it. I'd say 75-80 percent of my items are drops and 20-25 percent bought from various vendors. The vendor stuff isn't all crap like in many games.

3. You'll go through tons of weapons and equipment. Your look is always changing which keeps things fresh.

4. Canada is a riot. Old school gamers will like their trip to Canada in this game.

5. Combat is outstanding. As good as any of the early final fantasy games with less stressing over the leveling/skill system and more focus on fun. The defensive blocking makes a big difference and there's plenty of strategy during a battle as you can swap out friends with radically different abilities. Go fucking nuts in combat. Your HPs, Mana and PowerPoints all refresh after a battle so use everything you've got (except potions as those don't refresh so there's some planning to those)

6. Unlike Final Fantasy, you can interact with the world a little while in travel mode making it less boring between point to point.

7. This game fully earns it's M18 rating. No way kids should be playing it. I can't describe multiple scenes without spoiling it but there's some funny shit in this game and it includes full blown sex scenes. It's in the exact South Park mold you'd expect but way more graphic than you would see in the cartoon on TV.

One thing the game does miss is when browsing stores for new weapons/armor it doesn't compare it to your currently equipped in the store window so you need to exit the store and go back and look at your old stuff. Very minor but that would have been helpful since most games do that now. You do get a simple up or down arrow indicator when comparing items in your own inventory to your equipped item. You can re-use your weapon and equipment enhancements so no worries there. You don't have to worry about wasting a precious "strap-on" or patch for your equipment. No need to save it for an "end" weapon.

This game is the entire package. 99/100 if you're a south park fan but 90/100 even if you're not and are a fan of RPGs. Great quests, puzzles, leveling pace, skills, abilities, enhancements, supporting characters for your group that also help outside of combat. Great story where you get to make some decisions, that even if ultimately won't matter, make the story more entertaining. You do feel like you're in a South Park cartoon. Your fart powers are mostly used for the puzzles. These are separate from your class abilities and makes it so every class can get through the puzzle parts of the game while they use friend abilities when needed.

The best thing about this game is that for it's entire duration, you're doing something new. The combat doesn't get stale because you are constantly getting new weapons and new strap-ons and equipment/patches that change your strategy in fights and the mobs/bosses change. You also don't need to waste a turn to inspect your opponents to see what their strength/weaknesses are. You can check them at any time.

You do some progressively crazy shit in the game. Unless you're a prude, you'll crack up a lot in the game while also enjoying an outstanding RPG. I think some RPG fans may blow this game off but it has all the RPG elements you'd expect along with a funny, non grinding story the whole way through.

This game was delayed so they could improve it before release and it looks like they made the most of the extra time. IMO, it's not a matter of if, but when you'll play it depending on how much you want to pay or wait for for it or how long you're willing to wait for PN+/Live Gold. The length of the game is probably the biggest factor, not the quality. People expect PRGs to be long and grindy boring. This game may be shorter than you'd want but it has way more personality. There are collectables in the game so that could add some time and the four classes are different enough to warrant some replays. There's 30 beanie baby looking things you can collect and something like 105 friends you can add to your friends list in the game. Adding friends opens up permanent perks that enhance your character so there's some incentive to finding them when you see someone while walking the streets.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I just wanted to add a break between your conversations with yourself.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:I just wanted to add a break between your conversations with yourself.
Getting close to wrapping up initial thoughts on the game. Should finish it tonight. You screwed my chance at a ten post streak achievement on this thread but I've got some other solo threads going strong! I don't really expect anyone to have much to say with the game not out yet except at a few mom and pop stores. It's nice to be able to post about a surprisingly good game.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Hehehe.

No streaks for you!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Giant Bomb (5/5): "The Stick of Truth is the best South Park game by a country mile, but even removed from the franchise's dismal history with video games, it's also just one of the funniest games I've ever played. It pays tribute to the series' long history of memorably offensive jokes while also delivering an original story hilarious enough to stand on its own. Even more importantly, its gameplay is in no way an encumbrance to your enjoyment. Obsidian has fashioned an honest-to-god RPG out of the South Park universe, one with enough depth and longevity to hold your interest even when the comedy takes a breather."

IGN (9.0/10): "The Stick of Truth makes one thing abundantly clear: I never want to play another South Park video game made without Trey Parker and Matt Stone's direct, intimate involvement. With a controller in your hand, you are almost literally – gloriously – playing a 14-hour episode of South Park. There's much, much more here for series fans than the uninitiated, but it's a light but good quality role-playing game in its own right. It is, in a way, Season 18 all by itself. It is funny, shocking, self-effacing, and pretty much everything I could ask for from a South Park game -- even if it's mostly a one-and-done experience."

GamesRadar (4.5/5): "Though some elements of South Park: The Stick of Truth are poorly explained, and you might find yourself growing tired of the combat by the end of the 12-hour journey, Obsidian's RPG is an absolutely fantastic, surprising experience. It's great for those willing to favor story and comedy over innovative gameplay--and still a damn fun time for anyone interested in a light, open-world RPG. Instead of a game trying to be South Park, it actually feels like you're playing South Park, and playing South Park is... well, it's pretty fucking kick-ass."

The Escapist (4/5): "Even though it does threaten the player's resolve at times, The Stick of Truth is still a surprisingly enjoyable title, and the first South Park game to truly feel like it has some real soul behind it. Rather than the litany of Family Guy and Simpsons games out there, this isn't just a reel of out-of-context references to the TV show, strung lazily together in the hopes of coaxing a nostalgic smile. While there are indeed many nods to South Park episodes, they've been woven quite nicely into the plot, propelled by original content that is genuinely funny in its own right. Plus, there are just enough jokes made at the expense of video games and live-action roleplaying to keep the geeks among the audience happy."
Glad to see overall pretty good reviews of Stick of Truth.