Amazon Prime

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Amazon Prime

Post by Winnow »

I've been avoiding Amazon Prime for awhile but someone told me you can get 3 free months of Amazon Prime and then 50% off after that if you are a "student". To be a student you need to have access to an email that ends in .edu and if you've been to college you probably have one from your school. As far as Amazon knows I'm a freshmen that will be graduating in 2018!

I'm not interested in the video part of prime, at least at the moment. What finally got me to sign up was that I wanted some cheap stuff that was so inexpensive that shipping would double the price.

When it comes to iPad cases, I want the bare minimum. A thin gel case that covers the back and sides of my iPad and fits well. Those can be had for $5.45 on Amazon or probably $1,000 locally. (seriously probably 19.95 locally if it could be found). I ended up also getting a stand for my iPad/iPhones which was $9.99 which also would be ridiculously overpriced at a place like Fry's, Best Buy, etc.

So I placed my order on Saturday with free Prime two day air. Lo and behold they both show up in the same package today, Monday. What the fuck? That's amazing service. I've never seen anything arrive on a Monday that was ordered on a weekend. The entire time I was getting timely SMS updates with the status of my order. There is a distribution center here in Phoenix but it looks like these items came from Reno via Las Vegas to Phoenix/Chandler. That's incredifuckingbull.

Now, it's possible that Amazon always rushes out the initial Prime order to impress a new user but we'll see. I'd be plenty happy with two day delivery for free. I will be signing up for Amazon Prime in three months after my free trial expires for 50% off at $39.00. I've seen recent articles that Prime would be increasing possibly by $40/year soon. If there's any hint of that actually happening I'll sign up sooner. Amazon Prime is a no brainer for 39/year if you have access to an .edu email account. It's a little more questionable at $80 since I don't really care about the TV/Movies part. I think many current Prime users would question a hike to $120/month as at that point you may as well start paying for shipping.

I'm maybe growing slightly less impatient when it comes to instant gratification while shopping and going to local stores, paying more just to get it immediately. The biggest advantage I see to Amazon's amazing Prime free shipping service is that you can my little shit that normally cost of shipping would factor in to, while at the same time having a much better selection of products to choose from. If I want a particular kind of spatula, I'll get the exact one I want! BTW, both case and stand work great.

10/10 rating for my initial experience with Amazon Prime.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Amazon Prime

Post by Canelek »

I've been gladly paying my $79 (or something) for years now. Your experience is certainly not out of character for Amazon. I very rarely use the video service, but that was not the reason I initially paid for the service. Between the delivery and my Amazon Visa, I end up with quite good savings(and point-discounts).

2-day free shipping is just that! Rarely, it takes three days if you place your order at an odd time, but it is not unheard of to get a package Monday that you ordered Saturday. That would seem even more likely since you are near a distribution center.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I did one year but just because I wanted to get my PS4 release day. I really don't order from Amazon much, and don't care for the video stuff, so I'll more than likely cancel when this runs out. Without Prime I get stuff in usually 3 days anyway so it's not a big deal to wait a little longer. I did see articles about them possibly raising it $20-$40 which is crazy. They really should separate the video stuff from the shipping at that juncture.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Yean, 80/year seems like too much for the small amount of stuff I would order. 39 would probably make me buy more stuff (which is what they want), 120 wouldn't even be considered. If they add 40 and then make the student price 60, I might do it until that offer ends 10 years from now after my bachelors, masters and ph.d or Amazon requests more than a .edu email address. 120/year would make sense for the 30 minute drone delivery in the future.

Unfortunately I don't care about Videos or ebooks so that part is worthless and it's kind of a strange pairing anyway between shipping and videos.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts and consider Amazon for small dollar items I normally wouldn't get via mail order.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

We've had Prime for years and will always have it. Free two day shipping and no tax make it a no brainer. Same day delivery on preorders is nice too. I come home from work and that shit is on my doorstep! I price match in stores all the time. One click, it's here in 2 days. Done! We ordered 200+ seperate orders last year from Amazon.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I agree it makes sense for some people. But my orders to Amazon last year were about 6 total. And now in Indiana we pay tax on Amazon orders. The only good thing about Indiana though is Amazon has a hub (or whatever they are called) about 3 hours away so even when I choose the free 3-5 day delivery it usually shows up in 2-3 days anyway. I can wait another day it wont kill me.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I just ordered a cheap case for my iPhone for 4.99!

One Clicker! Too easy! I might accidentally click a PS4 game by mistake!

I dropped my case-less iPhone 5 a year ago and it spun for about 12 feet face down on asphalt. It dinged it up a little on the side metal part. Not a big fan of cases but I suppose I learned my lesson and will get the least obtrusive one I can get from now on.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Prime going to $99 a year. For me personally it's not worth it so will cancel when my current subscription expires at the end of September.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I guess winnow is good for something. I didn't know I could get a student discount on prime. Score. Although I'm actually a student and not some douchebag lying to save a couple of dollars.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Glad you're in school. You really need the education. Look at all it's done for Spang.
Aslanna wrote:Prime going to $99 a year. For me personally it's not worth it so will cancel when my current subscription expires at the end of September.
Can't you renew early to tack on another year at the cheaper price?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

An additional $20/yr is negligible. Still worth it for me, being as I order fuckoff huge amounts of shit from them.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Prime going to $99 a year. For me personally it's not worth it so will cancel when my current subscription expires at the end of September.
Can't you renew early to tack on another year at the cheaper price?
No. But there is this where you can gift yourself an aditional year. I might do that. Still deciding. This year I've only ordered like 2 things from Amazon and I never watch the video stuff.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: No. But there is this where you can gift yourself an aditional year. I might do that. Still deciding. This year I've only ordered like 2 things from Amazon and I never watch the video stuff.
Well $40 per item shipping isn't worth it if you only got two things. 8 things maybe break even at $10 shipping

I haven't gotten anything since the cases. I'm not sure if I just don't think about Amazon or maybe just don't buy a lot of stuff. It would be most useful if you purchased a lot of small dollar items over the course of a year. I'll probably pick it up for a year at $39 but even at that price it won't be worth it if I don't actually order anything as anything on Prime that I'd watch I download anyway.

Newegg offers very good three day shipping prices that end up arriving in two or less days anyway.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

So far, Michigan still does not pay sales tax on Amazon orders. Brick and mortar stores can't touch Amazon prices for the most part, and that's before you even add that benefit in.

Just as an FYI, Target and Best Buy both price match anything on Amazon. Always look up an item on Amazon first before you buy something and get the price match! This has easily saved me hundreds of dollars. Once I got the Lotr EE trilogy price matched from $112 to $42. At Target I price match Lego sets all the time too.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Amazon Prime just got better:
Amazon and HBO have signed an extensive, multi-year agreement that will bring many of the premium channel's greatest shows including The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and The Wire to Amazon Prime Instant Video. The deal also includes "early" seasons of Boardwalk Empire and True Blood. Newer shows like Girls, The Newsroom and Veep will eventually be made available to Prime subscribers, but not until three years after they've first aired on HBO. And other hits like Game of Thrones aren't even mentioned as part of the deal, so HBO may be holding at least some popular content away from Amazon's on-demand streaming.

The first wave of HBO content is due to arrive on May 21st. In addition to regular shows, Prime subscribers will also gain access to miniseries classics like Band of Brothers, select original movies including Game Change, HBO documentaries, and comedy specials from the likes of Louis CK, Ellen DeGeneres, and Lewis Black.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I agree it's a nice benefit. But it's on shows/seasons more than 3 years old. Good for people who haven't seen those shows but most people have. I still plan on letting my subscription lapse in Sep. The number of times I ordered stuff from Amazon last year I could count on one hand so it's just not beneficial to me. Plus Amazon now collects state tax in Indiana. Same for NewEgg as well. Screwed!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I ordered a new wireless Logitech mouse a few mins about (Around 11:40am) and will have it delivered the same day for no charge. So far my experience with Amazon Prime has been excellent.

Always impressed with their ability to deliver things so fast. Same day deliveries were unthinkable in the past, much less ordered at 11:40am for no shipping charge.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I have had an overall good experience with Prime, too. I will say though, a lot of customers I work with are vendors of Amazon, and Amazon shits all over their vendors on a pretty consistent basis.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Nobody is saying Prime isn't nice. But for a lot of people it's not $100 nice. Especially if they are having to pay sales tax. I can wait 2 days for a mouse.

Prime isn't free so I'm not sure how you can say "for no charge".

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Nobody is saying Prime isn't nice. But for a lot of people it's not $100 nice. Especially if they are having to pay sales tax. I can wait 2 days for a mouse.

Prime isn't free so I'm not sure how you can say "for no charge".
Well Prime includes streaming TV/Movies, Streaming Music, and other crap as well but that's not a main draw. Also, as stated above, I paid $39 for my year or prime as a "student". find a .edu email and you can be a student too!

Prime isn't just about free 2nd day shipping, it also can include free SAME DAY shipping if you're new a distribution center like me. It also includes saturday and sunday deliveries. It also allows me to order a bunch of little shit I wouldn't otherwise order like 500 drinking straws for $5, no shipping. First, Costco doesn't even offer straws, 2nd, I don't need to drive to Costco to get them, 3rd, normal shipping on small shit you need would double the price. I click a button and I'll have it in two days. I don't have to worry about shipping charges if it isn't worth the money because all orders are included.

There's plenty of small things you can't even get at local Best Buys, etc, that you can pay $2 for and have a cable, or a phone case, etc. It's hella easy shopping and 79/99 a year even with tax is worth it as you start realizing how damn easy it is to order even mundane things via Amazon.

It's a huge pain in the ass to go to the store. I hate traffic, I hate people, I hate germs. The threshold limit for making Prime $99 worthwhile (even if you don't stream TV/Movies/Music) isn't that much when you take into account the always cheap prices, even with tax. I paid 54 dollars for my new mouse I'm getting delivered the same day. Same mouse at Best Buy : $95.89...shipped (not available in stores) There's $40.00 right there. I pay tax either way but I get it for less, I don't have to drive there, don't have to deal with sales people. Less wasted time.

The ridiculous patent Amazon holds on One Click ordering is also nice and speeds things up, making it even easier to order bullshit stuff like straws, etc you wouldn't normally order online.

And don't undervalue same day delivery. When your mouse busts, you want a mouse right away. You either buy whatever is available at Best Buy, probably not the exact model you want most of the time, and pay $20.00 more for it, and waste whatever time it takes to go get it.

And getting back to the straws, as I make my smoothie and see that I'm taking the last straw, I go sit back at my PC, bring up Amazing, search "straws" ...click, click boom, done. It's not cheaper for me to go drive to the grocery store and get them and I don't have to make a note to pick some up my next trip. There's tax either way but I get the exact straws I want instead of whatever the local Grocery store has.*

Revisiting the small items you might need, If you need a 15 foot HDMI cable, It's going to be WAY cheaper via amazon than local Best Buy, and it's one click buy and you don't sweat the shipping because it's been paid for with your Prime. The more little crap you end up buying (light bulbs, etc) the better value it is, especially in the areas of convenience, exact product you want, and travel time.

Of note: not everything is eligible for "prime" shipping but the majority of things I've wanted so far have been and then if not, then you pay the same shipping you would if you bought it elsewhere anyway but still have your one click order or buy it elsewhere if it's cheaper.

The hardest thing for me with Amazon Prime is getting used to using it for all the small stuff. It seems too good to be true when ordering low cost items for the convenience of it all and all the work that goes into getting those $5 straws to my doorstep. $39/year was a crazy good price I got Prime for but I'll renew eventually at 89 (and I'd pay 99 if I had to but I don't!)

*I haven't really ordered straws yet via Amazon but I will when I run out!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well you're scamming the system. If you love it so much try paying $100 like normal people! If I could get prime for $40 I'd probably find it useful even though I don't really buy a lot from Amazon these days.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, it's well worth it for me with the student discount (I'm actually a student). That being said, for the reason I stated above, and due to how much it's fucking up local business, I feel dirty using Amazon. But not quite as dirty as I would if I walked into a Wal-Mart, so it just narrowly avoids the "I'm going to stop using that" category.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I do feel kind of bad for local businesses. I haven't stepped foot in a Best Buy or Fry's since I picked up my Day One Consoles a year ago. Why go? Digital Downloads are the way to go for day one games, pre-loaded, hardware is cheaper and more of a selection on Newegg or Amazon. Movies/Music/TV, all streaming or easier to buy online or digitally.

I don't see how Best Buy and Fry's will survive.

The same thing happened with Libraries. I used to go all the time to libraries for books, magazines, etc. I haven't been in a library in 10 years (probably longer than that) because of the internet.

Things change. You can be a first adopter or wait but eventually things will move to the more efficient process available.

You can hate Wal-Mart (for many reasons and I don't shop there either) but do we hate Eisenhower for building our national freeway network that put mom and pop diners and gas stations out of business? People have to adapt to change.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I've been taking advantage of Amazon Prime's free month trial for almost a month. I just had a package shipped that was supposed to include a couple items for my brother-in-law for Christmas. One item was missing, and once I was able to get an online chat going with Amazon, they were able to tell me that the item had been separated in the shipping process. It will just arrive a day late, but the best part is that they added on another free month of Prime for the trouble!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Amazon Prime has been unbelievable for me over the past 4 or 5 months. They have their shipping shit together.

On top of that, I was able to watch season 1 and 2 of Vikings streamed on Amazon Prime Video.

Check a few these series on Amazon. That's a solid set of top ranked TV series. A few notables I've seen on there:

Vikings
Rome
Deadwood
Defiance (one of my guilty pleasure series)
Sons of Anarchy
Justified
Carnivale
American Horror Story
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
Oz
Sopranos
True Blood
Firefly

Some very good series on Prime if you haven't seen them

My Xmas shopping is all done. Did it all on Amazon.

Same day order/received mouse for no shipping charge (besides being Prime member) still boggles my scrotum.

One thing I like about Amazon is that I don't sign for anything. sometimes don't even get a knock on the door but within five minutes I get a text saying that my package has been delivered. Bonus points for me not having to make small chat with delivery people. From same day to Sunday deliveries, it's all good.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I just had a bad Amazon experience. I paid for one day shipping, it showed an estimated arrival date that was appropriate. The day it was supposed to arrive it didn't even show as shipped, then the next day they updated the info and showed that it would get there two days later. They refunded the shipping cost but it was frustrating because it was a gift for the white elephant party at work.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:I just had a bad Amazon experience. I paid for one day shipping, it showed an estimated arrival date that was appropriate. The day it was supposed to arrive it didn't even show as shipped, then the next day they updated the info and showed that it would get there two days later. They refunded the shipping cost but it was frustrating because it was a gift for the white elephant party at work.
Do you know if it was a Prime eligible shipping item even if you aren't a Prime member? I think there's less reliability with the third party vendors that sell through Amazon as they don't originate out of Amazon's own monster automated warehouses.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yes, it was prime eligible and I'm a prime member.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:...it showed an estimated arrival date that was appropriate.
You do know that estimated does not mean guaranteed, right?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:
I paid for overnight shipping. The estimated date was the next day. Because I paid for overnight shipping. It came like four days later. And I paid for overnight shipping. Understood? I tried to use short sentences so you'd stay with me.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sounds like a legitimate bad experience! Al least they refunded shipping. I expect at some point there will be some sort of issue but so far, it's been all good. It will come down to the good/bad satisfaction ratio and alternatives available.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, as far as I can recall this has been my only negative experience with them, so I still have a positive opinion of Amazon's shipping overall; it was just relevant to the conversation.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Spang wrote:
I paid for overnight shipping. The estimated date was the next day. Because I paid for overnight shipping. It came like four days later. And I paid for overnight shipping. Understood? I tried to use short sentences so you'd stay with me.
Estimated does not mean guaranteed. Estimated does not mean guaranteed. Estimated does not mean guaranteed. Estimated does not mean guaranteed. Estimated does not mean guaranteed. Estimated does not mean guaranteed. Estimated does not mean guaranteed. Estimated does not mean guaranteed.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Wow, so, the replacement item never arrived, and it turns out that it never was reshipped. Also, the extension to my Prime account was never actually done. I've been sitting in chat with someone for a while, and after several tries, they did manage to extend my Prime. I had to place a new order for the missing item which is set to arrive Sunday (because they actually say "Guaranteed delivery by: Sunday, December 14, 2014 by 8pm"), and now I have to trust that they are actually going to process the refund on the item. *Bonus - the item's price dropped since I last ordered it!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Prime sounds awesome!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I smell a paid basher from Newegg!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Newegg's "Premier" service is even worse since it doesn't even include crappy old movies. And I swear since they introduced that less and less things come with Free Shipping.

I live in Indiana so most things get to me in two days when I pick standard shipping and Amazon even does Sunday delivery. One of the benefits of having a distribution center here. For both of them. Downside being now I pay state tax at both places. May as well go to Best Buy at that point.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Get it Today for Free

For a limited time, Prime members in Phoenix can enjoy FREE Same-Day Delivery. Choose from over a million eligible items and place a qualifying order over $35 to get it the very same day at no additional cost. Orders must be placed before the Same-Day Delivery order cutoff time (12PM local time) to qualify; orders placed after the cutoff will qualify for FREE One-Day Shipping. Please note that on December 24th, 2014, the ordering deadline to receive Same-Day Delivery will be 10am.
How to Place an Order with Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery

Discover eligible items using the “Prime FREE Same-Day” filter on search and browse pages.
Add eligible items to your Shopping Cart that total to at least $35.
Proceed to checkout. Eligible items will display “Prime FREE Same-Day.” After the order cutoff time, eligible items will display “FREE One-Day.”
Select a single delivery address in eligible zip codes within the Phoenix metro area only.
Select FREE Same-Day Delivery as your shipping speed. The shipping discount will be reflected in the Order Summary. Your qualifying order will be delivered by 9:00PM.
Pretty god damned amazing.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

13 new pilots TV shows on Amazon to consider:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=9940930011
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/amazon-prime ... 52219.html
Transparent is putting Amazon on the map for original programming in a bigger way than any of the company’s other shows have. And there are awards to prove it. Jill Solloway’s series earned two Golden Globes earlier this month. One was for best television comedy or musical; Amazon knocked off Netflix’s Orange is the New Black to win that one. The other went to series lead Jeffrey Tambor, who has received universal praise for his performance in the show’s first season. And on Saturday, Amazon will use all of that buzz to sell a whole ton of new Prime subscriptions. The company will make Transparent's entire first season free to stream for all customers, not just those paying yearly for Prime.

This Saturday, all Episodes of #Transparent will be available FREE for 24 hours only! Let the countdown begin! pic.twitter.com/0jPRYwAWc6
— Transparent (@transparent_tv) January 22, 2015

Amazon says those Golden Globe victories have caused viewership for Transparent to rocket up by 250 percent. But for one day, it’s giving even more people a chance to see the show’s ten-episode first season. And if non-subscribers decide they like it — and they almost definitely will — Amazon also hopes they’ll decide to purchase Prime for a promotional price of $72. That’s a pretty attractive offer compared to the everyday price of $99, so Amazon could be in for a pretty big Saturday.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Amazon Prime will be $72 tomorrow, Jan 24th

http://deals.kinja.com/amazon-prime-wil ... 1681164159

If you're thinking of getting Prime. tomorrow's the day to do it.

I've been watching more Prime Movies/Shows than Netflix lately which is just a side benefit of Prime.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Amazon Prime will be $72 tomorrow, Jan 24th

http://deals.kinja.com/amazon-prime-wil ... 1681164159

If you're thinking of getting Prime. tomorrow's the day to do it.
Only if you've never been a member before.
Is it true that this is for new members only?
The promotion that is being offered on Saturday is for new Members of Prime that have never signed up for it.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The $72 Amazon Prime Deal is Live, Even For Existing Subscribers!

As promised, Amazon is selling 1-year memberships to Amazon Prime for just $72 right now (down from $99) in celebration of the 72nd Annual Golden Globes. Plus, everyone can also stream the award-winning Transparent for free today, even without a membership. I've watched it, and can't think of a better way to spend a lazy Saturday.

New Amazon Prime members can lock in their $72 memberships here, but if you're already a member, you'll need to take advantage of a loophole. Just head over here to purchase a gift subscription for the promotional price, and then email it to yourself. It seems like you'll have to cancel auto-renew on your existing Prime membership, and use the gift email to add another year once it lapses, but that's a small inconvenience for a $27 savings.

It really can't be overstated how rare this deal is. Amazon Prime never goes on sale unless it's bundled with other products, so you'd be crazy to pass this up. We took a detailed look at the value proposition of Prime in the post below (spoiler alert: it's an amazing deal), so be sure to read that post if you're on the fence. [Amazon]
http://deals.kinja.com/amazon-prime-wil ... mcallister
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Amazon put $1.3 billion into Prime Instant Video last year

Amazon may have surprised Wall Street by how much sales went up in the fourth quarter of last year ($29.3 billion, with a profit of $214 million), but for customers its Prime service is the big deal. Founder and CEO Jeff Bezos said Prime membership in the US grew by 50 percent last year, despite a price hike. That growth probably explains (and helps justify) the expanding number of services it's tacked on to what was originally just an offer of free / cheap shipping. According to Bezos, Amazon plowed $1.3 billion into Prime Instant Video alone in 2014, snapping up exclusives, content from HBO and creating award winning programming like Transparent.
Worth it! I rewatched three seasons of Deadwood on Prime. Vikings was great. Enjoyed quite a few of the new Pilot episodes.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

http://dealnews.com/features/How-to-Get ... 38946.html
Did you know that if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber and your package isn't delivered by the "guaranteed delivery date," you can request a free 1-month extension to your membership? Sounds too good to be true, but that's what one Redditor discovered simply by reading the fine print that most of us just overlook.

In fact, you can request a Prime extension up to 12 times a year. So, if you order a lot and your deliveries are frequently late, then you could end up receiving a full year of Amazon Prime for free, simply by asking! There are restrictions, of course, but most of them simply require that the order meet some obvious stipulations, and almost all regular orders are be eligible for this courtesy.

We know what you're thinking. "Yeah, but will Amazon really honor it?" or "How hard is it to actually get?!"

DealNews Tested and Confirmed — Twice

Well, it just so happens that right after we heard about this policy, our order of Spider-Man Printed Duct Tape didn't arrive on time. (What? Why are you chortling?)

Spider-Man Duct Tape
Amazon

We decided to do some hands-on investigating! We sent this email to customer service:

"Hello! My order, #XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX, was scheduled for delivery on the 18th, however, it has not arrived. I saw that Amazon will extend a Prime membership by a month, if a package misses its delivery date. Am I eligible for that extension for this order not arriving on time?"

You can probably tell by our phrasing that we felt a little bit guilty about asking for this extension. Why would they give us a free month over something as silly as Spider-Man Duct Tape?! And furthermore, when we sent that email, the delivery was only late by an hour and a half. (We wanted to see how closely they stuck to that "promised delivery date.") But lo and behold, the very next morning, this email was waiting for us in our inbox:

"Hello, I'm sorry to hear your "Duck Brand 280905 Spider-Man Printed Duct Tape" didn't arrive by the estimated delivery date of December 18, 2013. This usually doesn't happen. To help make up for the inconvenience, I've extended your Amazon Prime membership by one month. The membership will now renew on September 2, 2014.

"In my experience, late packages arrive not long after the date listed. Please wait a little longer, until December 20, 2013, before requesting a refund or replacement. Otherwise, you might have to return a package. We hope to see you again soon.

Well, Amazon, you will see us again ... and again and again — for an extra month!

And to prove it's no fluke, mere days after the above incident, another package of ours arrived late and we decided to push our luck by requesting the extension again. And again, it was granted! Two delayed packages, two 1-month Prime extensions!

If you're not an Amazon Prime subscriber, you're not completely out of luck. Using the same policy, you can have your shipping fees reimbursed for the tardy item. It's not a month of free shipping, but it's not a bad apology for a late item, either.

Success (And Some Misses) For DealNews Readers

The last time we published this information, dozens of DealNews readers commented to tell us that requesting an extension of Prime, often using the exact wording suggested here, was successful. A few did not get a free extension. But of those, several instead got an Amazon credit, sometimes worth more than a month of Prime or the late order itself.

User rjprux noted, like several others, that requesting a free month of prime is especially useful if Amazon often uses FedEx Smart Post to ship your orders. Under this system (meant to cut costs and increase efficiency), FedEx delivers packages to the post office nearest the destination, and USPS then makes the final delivery. And it often makes packages arrive a day late, meaning more Prime for you!

What about now readers, have any of you tried to request an extra month of Prime for free? Did you have a different experience? Do you feel guilty asking for the extension even though it's well within your rights — and Amazon's policy — to ask for it? Tell us all about it in the comments below.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Does anyone with Amazon Prime happen to use their streaming video service that is included? I finally checked it out after receiving multiple notices that I wasn't taking advantage of that service, and I can't figure out if I am just doing something wrong. Do they not include all of the videos that are available for streaming for free? I checked out a random series which showed each episode as free, but then I tried to check one out that I actually wanted to watch (DaVinci's Demons Season 2). It is showing the episodes as "from $1.99." I seem to remember something like this being the reason I never used the service before, when I kept running into content that did not actually reflect that it was "free."
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, there are a few decent things on there but overall Netflix is far better. On prime you usually have to wait for a new season of a show to start before the previous season is free, and sometimes it just never goes to free.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Prime has some good stuff on it.

Go to Amazon Prime's video home page and then select the tab "Your Instant Video"

Then you'll only see mostly stuff marked with a prime check in the upper left corner of the video.
[Show]
I grabbed an image off google so hopefully it shows.

If you don't see the prime check mark in the upper left then it's not free stream.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I was streaming on my Smart TV, and I don't remember if that logo was present in the browser on that. I will have to check when I am back home.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:I was streaming on my Smart TV, and I don't remember if that logo was present in the browser on that. I will have to check when I am back home.
I pulled up Amazon Instant Video App on my iphone. It's small on a phone but there.