Everquest Next first MMORPG to support Oculus Rift?..

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Everquest Next first MMORPG to support Oculus Rift?..

Post by Ransure »

Surprised to hear that Smed is still at SoE...
Since the release of the Oculus Rift development kit, many major game developers have been experimenting with virtual reality in their labs. Now, another one of them has come forward in support of the technology: Sony Online Entertainment, the company behind EverQuest. Now, it sounds like the upcoming EverQuest Next will offer some kind of support for the technology.

Last August, the company teased possible support for the virtual reality headset in a behind-the-scenes video for EverQuest Next. Without saying a word about VR, a developer donned an Oculus Rift while the camera knowingly lingered for a few moments. It wasn't just a visual gag: In a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) yesterday, SOE president John Smedley confirmed that the company would indeed support the Oculus Rift "in some way shape or form."

"Probably for no other reason then it's really damn cool and programmers love that stuff," added Smedley.

"I'M THINKING THIS IS REAL AND WE MAY HAVE OUR SNOWCRASH AFTER ALL."

While that doesn't sound like much of a committment, another Redditor asked about supporting other virtual reality systems besides the Oculus Rift, and Smedley responded in promising fashion: "hearing good things about 2 competitors... one of which actually comes from Sony. so I'm thinking this is real and we may have our Snowcrash after all," wrote the executive.

While a number of other MMOs have proclaimed support for the Rift — primarily space sims like Vendetta Online and the upcoming Star Citizen, but also Second Life — SOE's EverQuest Next could be the first to offer a virtual reality fantasy role-playing experience.

Smedley also told Redditors that his company has another unannounced MMO in the works, one which he hopes will appease Star Wars Galaxies players.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/25/53449 ... -confirmed
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Re: Everquest Next first MMORPG to support Oculus Rift?..

Post by Xouqoa »

Holy shit!
[Show]
John Smedley is still the president of SOE?
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Cracc
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Everquest Next first MMORPG to support Oculus Rift?..

Post by Cracc »

Im actually in the alpha! Anyone else around who wants to rub their nervis against mine?