Knack (PS4)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Knack (PS4)

Post by Aslanna »

For a game that was positioned as a family game I don't know what they were thinking on the difficulty. Easy mode shouldn't have enemies that kill you with one hit. While it's not impossible it is pretty frustrating at times. And that's on EASY! As I said in a previous post any game that has an easy setting that mode should be pretty much autopilot for people who want to just experience the game or aren't that good at them. You have two other difficulty levels (Normal and Hard) leave those for the people looking for something more challenging. Missed the mark here!

Another issue is that it's a lot of the same thing over and over. Defeat 2-3 enemies.. Move 50 meters.. Repeat. And the levels overstay their welcome just a bit much by lasting too long. I'm not sure how long the game is I think it's 11 or 12 chapters. I'm on 9 (maybe 10) now and have about 8 hours in. Which doesn't seem like too many but it felt like I had put in a lot more than that. It really drags especially during the early levels and it was a struggle to keep going at times. They should have mixed things up a bit more.

The combat is also a bit odd. Not sure if it's just not that good or if I'm just not that good at it. There isn't much variety you can jump, attack and do a dodge move. There are also "Super Moves" but those are limited due to another energy bar used for those so not used much.

I went into this without reading any reviews but I did hear people talking about it beforehand. Overall I think it's a decent effort. People say it looks like a "Pixar movie" and it does come close however it seems too... sanitized... for lack of a better word. It definitely is a nice looking game overall if you don't mind that sort of art style. I don't really find anything to fault it on here.

This one is a hard one to rate since I haven't finished it yet but I'll probably go 6/10. I don't think it's a terrible game but it does its issues which have nothing to do with the hardware it's running on.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Knack (PS4)

Post by kyoukan »

Knack creeps me out. I mean genuinely.

I don't think Mark Cerny is a very good game designer. I never have. He's a pretty good programmer.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I just barely started but I'm going to restart on easy. The game is pretty hard because Knack can take very little punishment and the checkpoints are pretty far apart condidering how few hits you can take.

His voice does not fit his look. Neither does his "attitude" really. Graphics are a mixed bag too. At times it looks great. Other times, not so much.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Yeah I don't know why they made it so unforgiving. Even on easy the game is hard as balls. My 9 year old played it for like 20 minutes and was like "too hard" and went back to Disney Infinity. Then I played it and all I could say was jesus fucking christ where did all my health go? Honestly fucking Dark Souls is easier than Knack on normal difficulty. Mostly because you can take no hits and half the enemies are super god damn cheap.

They could have raised their review scores bit higher by giving Knack more health and the fodder enemies less cheap special moves. But really, his fucking face creeps me out and that voice coming out of that character is probably going to haunt my nightmares.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I just barely started but I'm going to restart on easy. The game is pretty hard because Knack can take very little punishment and the checkpoints are pretty far apart condidering how few hits you can take.
I'm curious as to the differences between difficulty settings. On Easy, which is what I've been playing, it's still fairly punishing at times. Checkpoints haven't been a big issue so far although I did end up quitting playing last night because I got to a tricky part with a lame checkpoint and I didn't feel like fighting back to where I was when I died the first time.

It does have local co-op so that looked like it made things a bit easier since the other person can go in and do some damage or at least distract the enemies for a couple seconds.

As far as his look goes I prefer the tiny Knack. He reminds me a lot of Clank. Once he starts getting big I don't really care for him much.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Knack 2 announced!

When Shawn Layden introduced it he said something along the lines of it being designed for hardcore and casual gamers alike so maybe it won't actually be so difficult. The first one was too punishing even on Easy difficulty. Kind of surprised that wasn't tuned down in a patch.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What's everyone's plans for the release of Knack 2?

Taking a week off from work to power through it?

Standing in line at midnight for the big release?

Buying super deluxe edition with Knack statue?

P S 4 - E X C L U S I V E !
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Uh... It's already been released. I preordered it. It should arrive today, actually. Thank you for your concern!

As to when I'll get around to playing it.. No idea. Too many games!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Saw some (completely unreliable source) thinking a 10 TERAFLOPS! PS5 would be released in 2018.

I was hoping it would be the release title for the PS5 eventually. Maybe Knack 3!