Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Warcraft: The Movie

Post by Spang »

This flick has a lot of potential.
The Warcraft movie now has a release date — December 18th, 2015. The feature film based on Blizzard's hugely popular World of Warcraft series of video games will be directed by Duncan Jones, the filmmaker behind the critically acclaimed sci-fi thrillers Moon and Source Code. Charles Leavitt, who penned the Leonardo DiCaprio political drama Blood Diamond, is writing the movie; Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures are handling financing and distribution. Warcraft's December release puts it at the end of a year that will be packed with tentpole flicks including Star Wars: Episode VII, Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Ant-Man, Jurassic World, and the Ben Affleck-as-Batman sequel to Man of Steel.

Unlike Jones' previous films, which had smaller budgets in the $35 million range, Warcraft is set to be a big, CGI-filled, blockbuster with a reported budget of more than $100 million. So far, Legendary has largely succeeded at bringing fantasy and spectacle to the big screen with hits such as 300, Inception, Man of Steel, and the Dark Knight Trilogy. Shooting is set to start early next year, but there's no official word on who'll inhabit the world of Azeroth on the big screen just yet.
Source
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Warcraft: The Movie

Post by Canelek »

Not really.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Canelek wrote:Not really.
+1
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Seems late? They're shooting for a retro audience by this point, the legion of little prats from the Barrens are in their 20s by this point.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

100M isn't really that much in terms of a movie budget these days. Especially for one that would require a lot of special effects avoid cheesiness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo ... sive_films
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I hate Spang as much as the rest of you (probably more), but this film totally has a lot of potential. Warcraft has a pretty rich mythology, and millions of people who play or have played. Just because something isn't brand new, doesn't mean anything as far as movies go. Just look at the other films that this studio has made, almost all of which are based on existing intellectual property that is older than WoW. I haven't probably ever read a Batman comic book, but I still loved the Dark Knight trilogy. 300 was a graphic novel that I'd never read, and I loved that. Most promising, to me, is that Duncan Jones directing, as I highly enjoyed Moon and Source Code.

That said, I don't particularly give a shit about the game of WoW, and haven't in years, but we're speaking to the potential of this being an entertaining movie.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

My inability to care about this movie has nothing to do with the originator of the thread.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I don't hate anybody, but I will watch this movie if it comes out in theaters.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Aslanna wrote:My inability to care about this movie has nothing to do with the originator of the thread.
Correct!

Sincerely,
Final Fantasy movie
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Jesus Christ, just look at what it's up against. Don't forget the third Hobbit movie, which releases the same month, and will attract nearly identical demographics.

The movie has serious potential but the script I read was merely ok. Duncan Jones is going to have his hands full, that's for sure. Fanbois are thier own worst enemy and few games have a more dedicated fan base than WoW. I hope he weathers the storm and gives us something intetesting.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:100M isn't really that much in terms of a movie budget these days. Especially for one that would require a lot of special effects avoid cheesiness.

Duncan Jones made Moon with only 5 million dollars. I think he'll do ok with 100 million.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Winnow wrote:100M isn't really that much in terms of a movie budget these days. Especially for one that would require a lot of special effects avoid cheesiness.

Duncan Jones made Moon with only 5 million dollars. I think he'll do ok with 100 million.
I don't recall any Orcs being in Moon. It looks like it was filmed in a single room and looks extremely low budget. He won't get away with that with an action flick that needs ass-tons of special effects.
Warcraft's December release puts it at the end of a year that will be packed with tentpole flicks including Star Wars: Episode VII, Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Ant-Man, Jurassic World, and the Ben Affleck-as-Batman sequel to Man of Steel.
Going up against a lineup like that has fail written all over it.

Star Wars > WoW

Avengers 2 > WoW

Ant-Man <> WoW (the actual Ant-Man story, if done right, could be more entertaining than WoW. see comic series: Irredeemable Ant-Man before you judge.

Batman and Robin (even with Ben Affleck) > WoW

Jurrasic World...eh, I'll give WoW the early nod over another Jurrassic movie until I see more details.

Also released the same weekend as WoW:

Inferno: Tom Hanks (Directed by Ron Howard of...Apollo 13, A beautiful Mind, Cocoon, ..and Willow!)

Weekend before: Alvin and the Chipmunks 4

Weekend After: Kung Fu Panda 3

They should at least delay the release until Kung Fu Panda 3 Weekend.

Why? Because of WoW's dumb Panda theme expansion! Panda lovers might make it a double feature win.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:
Aslanna wrote:My inability to care about this movie has nothing to do with the originator of the thread.
Correct!

Sincerely,
Final Fantasy movie
Same, eff WoW. However, both of the Final Fantasy anime movies were good, so I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:
Canelek wrote:
Correct!

Sincerely,
Final Fantasy movie
Same, eff WoW. However, both of the Final Fantasy anime movies were good, so I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about.
lol, those were awful.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Final Fantasy movies were crap. I watched with the attitude of hoping they'd be good.

Speaking of low budget movies, Serenity's budget was under 40 Million and I thought it did a great job for a movie requiring quite a bit of special effects so there's hope...but I've never read anything interesting about WoW lore. Of course Joss Whedon is a master of creating entertaining flicks so the dialogue helps a lot with the entertainment value of that movie.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The potential is there, too much money is on the line for the idiots in charge to resist sticking their fingers in it and stirring up yet another shitpie, then wringing their hands when it flops.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Sorry Funk. Keep in mind I am not a anime fan nor FF fan so take my knock on the movie with a grain of salt. :)
en kærlighed småkager