AMD: PS4 performance advantage over XB1

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

AMD: PS4 performance advantage over XB1

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I wasn't sure this should go in Xbone or PS4 thread, so it gets it's own. Based on the facts, everyone knows the PS4 is going to be more powerful than the Xbone, but the reality may end up being even wider than previously thought. While MS has really tried to muddy the waters and downplay the technology gape in their favor, it looks like that will only take them so far before the facts will clear things back up and the PS4 proves how much more powerful it's hardware advantage actually is.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...t-1939716.html

Translation:
Although both upcoming game consoles Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are based on AMD hardware, only PlayStation 4 incorporates hUMA [Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access] for supporting a shared memory space. This was explained by AMD's Senior Product Marketing Manager Marc Diana to c't [big German IT magazine] at gamescom. This should put the 3D-performance of PlayStation 4 much farther ahead of Xbox One than many have expected so far. AMD sees hUMA as a key element for drastic performance improvements in combined processors. AMD's upcoming Kaveri desktop processors support hUMA as well.

Behind the scenes, c't could hear from developers that the 3D-performance of PlayStation 4 is very far ahead of Xbox One.

Back in April, AMD manager Phil Rogers explained to c't that hUMA improves 3D-performance in particular. "Game developers have been eager to use very large textures for years. Until now they had to resort to tricks in order to package parts of larger textures into smaller textures. That is because today a texture has to be located in a special place of physical memory before the GPU can process it. With hUMA, applications can work with textures much more efficiently". AMD will give more details on hUMA at its upcoming developer conference in November.
Here is more detail on the hUMA tech: http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... in-kaveri/
Our guy on the ground has heard this as well from multiplatform developers and publishers. Their PS4 game builds are significantly outperforming the Xbox One game builds.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: AMD: PS4 performance advantage over XB1

Post by Aslanna »

Dude.. ESRAM!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

technology gape
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Textures are everything. This is huge.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

kyoukan wrote:technology gape
Caught that too. Way too much for a family VV forum. Next is AtM and all manner of horrors.
en kærlighed småkager
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Canelek wrote:
kyoukan wrote:technology gape
Caught that too. Way too much for a family VV forum. Next is AtM and all manner of horrors.
Should have titled this "Trolling for Winnows".
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Leonaerd wrote:Textures are everything. This is huge.

huge gapes lol

huuuueg gaeps
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

NO MORE GÆPES
en kærlighed småkager
Leonaerd
Way too much time!