WoW Discussion
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

World Of Warcraft Patch 5.4 Trailer

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://youtu.be/slzQOyS5TqQ

Looks like fun! This entire expansion has been handled really well IMO. All the content and story so far has led up to the Siege of Orgrimmar very organically. This patch will also introduce The Timeless Isle, which sounds like an interesting experiment. Rumor is, this may be the direction that WoW goes from here on out depending on how well it is received.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/105907 ... -8_14_2013
Once you’re on the Timeless Isle, it’s open-world adventuring at your own pace. There are a couple quests on the island, but they’re not going to tell you exactly where to go and what to do. Instead they exist to encourage you to explore caverns, discover underwater grottos, and battle all manner of frightful beasts for great rewards.

The island offers greater challenges as you move away from the serene forest surrounding the temple grounds and into the fiery Ordon Sanctuary, Cavern of Lost Spirits, Croaking Grotto, and other mysterious locales. As this is an open-world experience, everything except the raid bosses (more on those below) is designed to be taken on solo. See a level-93 Elite? Attack it! Depending on your spec and gear it may take you a while to whittle down its health, but your ability to skillfully play your class and dodge attacks can lead you to victory.

Being able to take on large creatures by yourself also means that long after Patch 5.4 comes out, when the number of people visiting the island dwindles, you’ll still be able to bring new characters there and engage with everything it has to offer. While the Elites on the island are standard “group-tap,” all of the Rares are “no-tap,” so if you see anyone fighting them, even someone from the opposite faction, you can join in and both benefit from bringing it down. Everything on the island also drops something unique. For the easier enemies, it may be consumables that grant you Timeless Coins (see below) or aid you in your adventures into darker places, while tougher enemies can drop epic BoA tokens that can be used to gain Item Level (ilvl) 496 loot, upgrade tokens to gain ilvl 535 gear, Lesser Charms, battle pets, and more. There are also a ton of new achievements for doing just about anything and everything on the island.
My priest is looking good at 90 now and I'm slowly bringing my Shaman from 85 to 90 as well. I'm counting on a new expansion announcement at Blizzcon for WoW, D3, and SC2!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: World Of Warcraft Patch 5.4 Trailer

Post by Spang »

I stopped playing WoW (again) back in January, I think.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, I stopped and started playing 2-3 times this expansion but when I do play I tend to get pretty heavily into it. I've been gearing my priest and playing an unusual amount of PvP with him but it gets frustrating getting absolutely crushed by the Horde over and over!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This patch is live and it's fuckin' bonkers. The Forgotten Isle is absolutely packed. It's like an MMO release day level of packed. People are grouping up and killing everything that moves. It's just crazy. The new seamless server combination thing went live so maybe that's it. No idea, but talk about mega activity!

Lvl 496 armor is literally just laying around on the fucking ground. I got 8 pieces in about 45 minutes. I'm glad I worked my ass off the past 2 weeks to hit ilvl497. Some of it is BoA, so I'm sending it off to alts.

The monsters on the Isle hit like a mack truck. I have seen over a dozen unique and large group encounters all going on at the same time. Some world pvp erupted somewhere and it was a bloodbath. Both sides were still going at it when I logged off. There were hundreds of people per faction going at it.

So far this is one for the books!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Lvl 496 armor is literally just laying around on the fucking ground. I got 8 pieces in about 45 minutes. I'm glad I worked my ass off the past 2 weeks to hit ilvl497.
wtf? triple digit levels now? Don't they tend to lose a little meaning? A decent expansion can make due with maybe 5 new levels and skills on any other MMO.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Armor level is not character level.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

wtf? triple digit armor levels now? Don't they tend to lose a little meaning? A decent expansion can make due with maybe 1 new set of armor with a unique name in any other MMO.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:wtf? triple digit armor levels now? Don't they tend to lose a little meaning? A decent expansion can make due with maybe 1 new set of armor with a unique name in any other MMO.
Perhaps that's why the majority fail.

Due to the 2 year-ish release cycle of WoW expansions, they release large content patches like this 3-4 times. The content of each one varies, but you can pretty much count on more instances/scenerios, zones, raids, quests, and gear in every one if them.

Blizzard gives out fresh carrots as often as they are able. The means to acheive incremental increases in power, as well as a new look for your character, are a big deal to WoW players.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fairweather Pure wrote:This patch is live and it's fuckin' bonkers. The Forgotten Isle is absolutely packed. It's like an MMO release day level of packed. People are grouping up and killing everything that moves. It's just crazy. The new seamless server combination thing went live so maybe that's it. No idea, but talk about mega activity!

Lvl 496 armor is literally just laying around on the fucking ground. I got 8 pieces in about 45 minutes. I'm glad I worked my ass off the past 2 weeks to hit ilvl497. Some of it is BoA, so I'm sending it off to alts.

The monsters on the Isle hit like a mack truck. I have seen over a dozen unique and large group encounters all going on at the same time. Some world pvp erupted somewhere and it was a bloodbath. Both sides were still going at it when I logged off. There were hundreds of people per faction going at it.

So far this is one for the books!
It's been a month since this patch and I've already pretty much tapped out the majority of what the island offers. I've spent a great deal of time there though. It does seem like most people have already gotten what upgrades they needed from the island and now concentrate on raiding much more.

It was an interesting experience but once you figure out the secrets of the island, which did take awhile, eventually everything is on farm status. My ilvl is up to 528 and healing as a Holy Priest is now pretty much a cakewalk. I have the proper tools to manage my mana for long fights and it makes all the difference in the world. I'm thinking about switching my Bear druid a Moonkin for a change of pace now.