Tales of Xillia (PS3) JPRG

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Tales of Xillia (PS3) JPRG

Post by Winnow »

Take a Final Fantasy game and remove the silly giggling and goofy sounding surprise "huh!1!?s, remove most of the over the top oddball clothing and you have the base for Tales of Xillia. This game includes all that's right with FF games while removing most of the annoyances.

The dialogue and story is much more interesting to listen to. The humor funny instead of childish. No retarded romances to deal with (yet).

Outstanding battle system. Similar to Final Fantasy but you can go into free run so you can go anywhere during an encounter. It's live action but you can easily stop the action by hitting your menu or buttons to evaluate the enemy.

Excellent NPC party support with options to link to a particular party member for support and combos and an extensive strategy NPC actions flow chart with plenty of options to tailor how you want the rest of your party to act in battle.

You can switch your linked party member on the fly. The monster evaluation pop up even sometimes gives suggestions on which party member would be your best linked support.

Seven hours into the game I was still getting tutorial pop ups during battles, etc, so as with many of these types of games, don't expect to know everything at once.

The skill "hexagon/trees" for advancement is extensive but after looking them over, I went with "auto advance" and just paid attention to the new skills and "artes" I received and adjusted/inserted them into my battle plans. On a second play through I'm sure you could do better focusing on what you want.

Expect very similar potions/foods, music, experience/leveling to Final Fantasy.

The world is pretty and diverse. Bright colors.

Most of the game and all of the main character's are voiced. Minor NPCs that give a line or two about a city or something aren't. Quest givers are voiced. Voice acting is all well done.

Menus and battle system are very well done. It may take a little to get comfortable with the battle system but you can put your NPCs on auto and yourself on semi auto or manual attacks.

There is an easy to use defensive shield stance which works well. Live fights are great. You don't just sit there and wait for your turn in the sequence, you can up your agility (movement) to get behind mobs to increase your damage/crit chance, etc. At the same time it's easy to pause the action if needed. Great balance in this area.

Style is a on the anime side but not extreme, more of a teen look than child look.

I was wondering why I was beating the crap out of everything in the beginning of the game but it turns out there's an extended "start with all of your powers and then lose them" type sequence in the beginning...like an hour long.

You can also choose to play as Milla (the goddess) or Jude (smart teenage kid doctor). The main story is the same while about 10% of the interlude scenes are unique to the specific character you choose. You can switch between players in your party so I don't think it matters much. I chose Milla. She has the four spirits that can be summoned but you can switch freely between characters and also switch team links on the fly as well in battles.

Team links are pretty cool as you can set your linked NPC to be the aggressor, healer, etc and they will also taunt so you can backstab, etc. The NPC decision tree and combos you can setup are extensive.

Easy saving, lots of save points and you have one quick save slot you can use any time.

If you enjoyed the Final Fantasy games like FFX and FFXII, then this is a no brainer for you to get. Remove the goofyness, add a little more interesting story (although don't expect much) and less drama, much less crazy cut scenes while keeping interesting interludes for story development, keep the same quality of in-game music, add in the best battle system I've used in a JRPG in a long long time, some sensible equipment/items/food leveling that's not tedious, very good English voice acting (for once) and you've got Tales of Xillia.

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Tales of Xillia (PS3) JPRG

Post by Aslanna »

I'd give this a go if only the PS3 controller wasn't so uncomfortable. I get hand cramps after like 5 minutes it's terrible!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'll get it eventually. I really likes Tales of Vesparia, which was my first Tales game.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I'll get it eventually. I really likes Tales of Vesparia, which was my first Tales game.
Think of your hands! You'll be crippled for life!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I'll get it eventually. I really likes Tales of Vesparia, which was my first Tales game.
I played that one as well. This is an improvement over Vesperia.

Aslanna: that's for sure. I really wish I was using a 360 controller but the PS3 and eventually PS4 will still be the platform where most JRPGs will show up so I've been taking pain medicine to make it through the gaming sessions. Sometimes I'll involuntarily yell out, "FREEDOM!" during a long fight as I feel like I'm going through the same pain William Wallace went through as he had his guts pulled out of him while he was still alive.

I'm about 10 hours into the game and I still haven't gotten my four spirits back but I'm really pokey in these games and take a lot longer than most. I read that the main storyline is about 30-35 hours with 100% completion around 60-80 hours. About 50 hours with a mix in between rushing through and 100% completion trophy pursuit.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

If my meat puppet hands were not so cramped with the jesusawful ps3 controller, I would totally give this a go.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Canelek wrote:If my meat puppet hands were not so cramped with the jesusawful ps3 controller, I would totally give this a go.

I know, right?!? Millions of consoles sold and they STILL can't make a controller than doesn't cripple people. I can only assume this is because Japan hates Americans.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Game producers cheat on PS3 estimated average time to complete games by accounting for several hours of paused games while players soak their hands and try to shake away the pain, etc. That's why games seem shorter when you play them on the 360 but you are also able to pick up a knife and fork afterward if you want to eat dinner without having to wait another hour for the cramping to go away.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

I dabbled with Symphonia years ago, and never liked it. I didn't give Tales much thought until I rented Vesperia a few years back, and rushed out to buy my own copy a few days later. Loved the shit out of that game, and it made me take the Tales series seriously.

On the other hand, I've been playing Tales of Graces F on and off for the last few months with far less enthusiasm. The systems all still work, but the world and the characters just aren't nearly as endearing to me. I'm playing more for the combat, which feels like I'm kind of misses the point of the genre. Hearing good things about Xilla though, and pre-ordered it back when Amazon had it up for 10 bucks less than what it's going for now.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Niffoni wrote:
I dabbled with Symphonia years ago, and never liked it. I didn't give Tales much thought until I rented Vesperia a few years back, and rushed out to buy my own copy a few days later. Loved the shit out of that game, and it made me take the Tales series seriously.

On the other hand, I've been playing Tales of Graces F on and off for the last few months with far less enthusiasm. The systems all still work, but the world and the characters just aren't nearly as endearing to me. I'm playing more for the combat, which feels like I'm kind of misses the point of the genre. Hearing good things about Xilla though, and pre-ordered it back when Amazon had it up for 10 bucks less than what it's going for now.
Great info, thanks for posting. I've heard fair to poor reviews of Graces as well but will pick it up on the dirt cheap eventually as well. I'm a good 12ish hours into Vesperia but was stuck on a part and switched to another game. I need to get back to it and finish it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Good Video/Text review of Xillia

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/06/ ... lia-review

Video review is linked in the banner.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Just wrapped this up over the weekend and capped the levels of all my characters last night. 50+ hours all said and done.

A well put together JRPG that was fun to play. I recommend it but only if you are a fan of the genre.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Finished up Jude's side, and liked it a lot. I'll probably revisit this and try out the alternate perspective during a gaming lull some time in 2014. Vesperia remains my gold standard, but Xillia was really good, and I'm glad to hear we'll be getting the sequel next year.

For those who were interested, it looks like the PSN price has been dropped to $40 as of this week. Not bad at all for a decent-length JRPG with such a solid localization.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Platinumed this one over the weekend. Fortunately, you can skip a lot of the cut scenes when replaying the other protagonist's story simply because they are exactly the same. Only a few sequences are different.

Overall a very satisfying game. I preferred Xillia over Vesperia myself.