iOS7

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

iOS7

Post by Winnow »

I've been using iOS7 for about a day (have a developer's account).

So far it's been impressive. It runs smooth on an iPhone 5 at least.

New control panel that pops up on any screen (including lock) is well done (stolen from Android)

Revamped notification center is well done

Task switcher is much improved. Full thumb app switch scrolling and swipe up to close, stolen from Android works great.

Like the new look for SMS/iMessage

iTunes Radio will kill Pandora on iPhones at least. It works great. Plenty of pre-made channels and easy to create your own channels. Good integration with the rest of the OS.

Air Drop looks well integrated as well. Haven't tried it yet but at least you don't have to go around bumping phones together like on Android to share stuff with people locally. I can see some funny commercials coming soon regarding this.

New auto photo organization is well done.

Calendar/Scheduler is sleek

Entire iOS7 does have a more "professional" look to it as opposed to the more "cutesy" look of the past. As expected, it has a very flat look to it. It also has a very unified white theme to it.

Dynamic background is kinda of cool. It does add a 3D feel to the lock and home screens. As long as it doesn't suck up much battery juice its nice subtle addition.

Music/Audion player looks great

lock screen notifications and control panel access without unlocking your phone is nice.

Ditched my flashlight app as well! Very minor but it's nice to have quick access to flashlight mode without diving into the home screen.

I watched the developer video on the new integration with game controllers for iOS7. They put a lot of thought into the standardized controls. Basically same buttons as xbox/ps so that will help a bunch with compatibility.

For some reason, a sleep timer isn't built into audiobook mode but with the control panel including your alarm/stopwatch/timer app, it's easy to quickly set a timer to turn off the audio when you want. For some reason, they only included .5 and 2X playback for audiobooks while Podcasts have the perfect 1.5X playback speed. odd but hopefully resolved by release time.

It's the first beta release and I do notice shorter battery life so that will be something they need to work on during the next few months.

Overall it's a solid update. I won't miss anything from the previous iOS releases. They've added the few things that I liked about Android (task switching and easy control panel access)

The control panel is dynamic depending on the background it's pulled up on.

iOS 6 vs iOS 7 comparison (wide image)