Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Iron Man 3

Post by Fairweather Pure »

[Show]
Marvel marketing was the Mandarin. They used trailers, movie posters, and other marketing tricks to fool every fan boy from the very start. It was amazing. Now, when the reveal came there were two reactions. One is the guy who was like "Holy shit, you got me!", and the other was "You are dirty motherfucking liars!". Each reaction says a lot about the respective person and what they went in expecting. Many fan boys dislike getting the rug pulled out from under them on something they think they know everything about.

It was very, very clever and very, very risky. I loved it.

I'm glad I saw this opening weekend because I'm seeing spoilers all over the Internet now!
The 3D was fair to ok with a couple of great shots and a whole lot of "meh" much like Thor, Captain America, and Avengers. The 3D doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Prometheus, Life of Pi, or any animated movie like Wreck It Ralph ect.

Iron Man 3, as a whole, was highly enjoyable for my family and I. We saw it Saturday in IMAX 3D. I may go see it again one more time in the theater before everything is said and done. I like Tony Stark with some Iron Man, not Iron Man with some Tony Stark. It's the character that drives the action and adventure. The suit is just a tool in that endeavor so it was nice to see it used as such.

I would rank them 1,3,2.

My full MCU ranking:

Avengers 10
IM1 9.5
IM3 9
Thor 8
Captain America 8
Hulk 8
IM2 8

One of the many connections in the Marvel movie universe is the humor. All of the movies have great moments of levity and self depreciating humor. They feel airy and full of adventure and, above all, fun. When I see a Marvel movie I just know I'm going to laugh and see some amazingly awesome action. I seriously love me some MCU. It is comic books come to life, warts and all.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Iron Man 3

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I saw it yesterday with my son. I liked it a lot but wasn't overwhelmed with a, "Holy Shit! That was Awesome" feeling. I saw it in 2D as I am still not impressed with the shameless money grab from theatres to charge you for the glasses and then have the nerve to ask for them back when the movie is over.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

[Show]
I really enjoyed that they made use of Pepper Potts a lot more in this and that the wasn't just a love interest but kicked a fair amount of ass in her own right.

I also LOVE what they did for the Mandarin. It's a cool turn that worked quite well. Ben Kingsley was absolutely fantastic.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I saw it yesterday with my son. I liked it a lot but wasn't overwhelmed with a, "Holy Shit! That was Awesome" feeling.
A great example of a "wow" moment in a Marvel movie is the opening scene in X-Men II when Nightcrawler attacks the president in the White House. That scene was awesome.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:
Bubba Grizz wrote:I saw it yesterday with my son. I liked it a lot but wasn't overwhelmed with a, "Holy Shit! That was Awesome" feeling.
A great example of a "wow" moment in a Marvel movie is the opening scene in X-Men II when Nightcrawler attacks the president in the White House. That scene was awesome.
I still remember that scene in the theater like yesterday. Lets hope the Days of Future Past is filled with moments like those!

FYI, Marvel has the rights back for Daredevil, Punisher, Ghostrider, and Blade!

Phase 2 is looking really solid. I'm curious how much of a bump Thor 2 and Captain America 2 will get post Avengers and also being sequels.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

[Show]
I agree that the unmasking the "Kingsley Mandarin" scene was great, even though I was totally looking forward to him being the main villain going into the theater.
I'm glad I caught this one in the theater before getting major spoilers as well. Oh, and there is a scene after the credits again.