Wildstar

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Wildstar

Post by Winnow »

Woo! Just got into the beta. I've been looking forward to this game for awhile:

http://www.wildstar-online.com/

Hoping it's good. Beta downloading at 150Mbps with peaks near 200Mbps. That's a good sign. At least they have bandwidth.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Wildstar

Post by Aslanna »

Pass. Not a big NCSOFT fan. Neverwinter will be better!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Pass. Not a big NCSOFT fan. Neverwinter will be better!
Yuck. That game was horrible.

Aion has been fun for years. So far Wildstar is fun (only played a few minutes!) Highly polished for very first beta. Blade and Soul from NCSoft is also fun (not out yet in the US) as is Guild Wars 2. They have a good track record with me. Lots of high quality games.

Lineage 2 was fun back in the day as was the original Guild Wars as well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a developer's blog update on how the initial beta testing has gone. I guess only like 1500 people got into the first wave so I finally got lucky with a decent beta that's actually more like an old school beta than the recent marketing type betas. I still have fond memories of the original Everquest Beta. (I was hella scared of a small mammoth in Everfrost..watched in awe as a group of level 6 players toppled the beast!)

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/ ... _field.php

Your username is plastered (watermarked) all over the screen right now so there probably won't be many videos or screenshots. My first character's creation number was in the 1,700's and that included the friends and family focus group that had been going on since January.

Player housing in Wildstar is well done. You get your own little flying platform to build and upgrade your home, landscape, furnish/decorate with hundreds of items, make your own little town if you want, adding crafting areas, mines,harvest gardens etc so you can do a lot of skill stuff there. Also fend off squatters and a few quests. Looks like it will be a useful place to go as opposed to a waste of space:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQm7eOjyQSY
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Is this game any good, provided that you're in beta?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's worth trying if you get into the beta or there is a free trial. We stopped playing it about a week after getting into the beta. They've since added the Dominion side with most of the characters playable.

It's a little cartooney (WoW-ish look to it) but has some fun aspects. Very polished game for beta. The secondary careers, Scientist, Surveyor, Builder, add some additional replay value.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So was this yet another fail MMO? Haven't heard much about it since the initial release.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:So was this yet another fail MMO? Haven't heard much about it since the initial release.
I guess it was!

WildStar Is Going Free-to-Play! Here’s All You Need to Know

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Free to play couldn't save it although maybe it did extend it's life by a few years.
Carbine Studios, the developer of the massively multiplayer online game WildStar, is shutting down, Kotaku has learned. Fifty people will lose their jobs in the process, according to a person briefed on the shutdown. The game will also come to a close.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

that's a shame, but what can you expect in a market of 8 gazillion MMO's. The irony for me on this is that I downloaded and played it for a couple days last weekend just because I was bored. I death touched it!