The Official PS4 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official PS4 thread!

Post by Winnow »

I use my TV's as PC monitors as well so I'm all over 4K when they are reasonably priced.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, Same boat as Animalor on this. Not to mention, I'll be much more interested in 4k when not only is there support for it with media, but when OLED 4k TV's are reasonably priced. I honestly don't see myself upgrading to a non-OLED 4k TV.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah, Same boat as Animalor on this. Not to mention, I'll be much more interested in 4k when not only is there support for it with media, but when OLED 4k TV's are reasonably priced. I honestly don't see myself upgrading to a non-OLED 4k TV.

OLED screens are nice. They do suffer from "black smearing" The two OLED screens I have (VITA and Oculus Rift) suffer from this. Overall, OLED is very nice though.

I'm perfectly happy with the latest LED/LCD tech. The biggest thing is making sure of the ports being able to support 4K res from a single cable which is what the consoles would have to address as well. Also, if possible, 90hz or higher refresh supported.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

4K is pointless at this juncture. The only reason its being pushed as the "next big thing" (ala 3D) is because yeah it's just a ploy to try and get you to buy new shit when you don't need to.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

4K is not pointless. It's 3840 x 2160 which is fucking awesome for PC use and upscaling. 4K is huge for VR as well. It's an actual solid default resolution to look forward to.

I'm sure every new res to you people was "pointless". Tech is moving at a faster pace each year, not slower. Go back to your Wii 480Ps!

"oh no it wasn't because, blah blah blah"

Pretty sure I could find some blathering about iPhone retina displays being "pointless" as well back when they were introduced.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Pointless. At this juncture. Read all the words.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:Pointless. At this juncture. Read all the words.
Wait, wouldn't that require that he actually.....read?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Would help if you read as well. I addressed that with my speed of technology advancement comment. Tech gets adopted twice as fast as the generation before. Consoles get outdated faster as well. PS4/Xbox One were weak before they were even released. Wii U is for hippies
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Hmm. Let me check...

Yep. Still pointless!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You people have Wii syndrome! Looks the same to you!

Worth it!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
The Order: 1886 delayed until 2015
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/27/the-o ... _truncated
Poor joystiq.. Killed off by AOL.
Winnow wrote:Will we ever see another AAA exclusive on the PS4 again? OMG!1!11
You'll see one in 10 days!

Having said that I'm still not sold on this game.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I haven't looked into it much, so I'm not sure. Seemed to me like a single player game with a short campaign and probably little replay value - which would make it a skip until it's on sale for me.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

”PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console in January, it and remains the cumulative leader in the U.S., according to NPD data,” an SCEA spokesperson told GamesBeat. “Since launch in November 2013, 18.5 million PS4 units and 81.8 million software units have been sold through to consumers worldwide.”
I don't see the XBO $50 "promotional" price cut going away anytime soon.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PS4's awesome exclusive of the year!

http://kotaku.com/youtube-leak-derails- ... 1686385042

5 hours of game time to finish. That's $12/hour for your fun!
Floating around the front of r/games yesterday, for example, was this thread about the playthrough, offering firsthand details that nobody else has to offer. "Took me a little over 5 hours on my first playthrough," wrote the person behind PlayMeThrough. "Not much replayability. You can't level up any skills or anything and there is no New Game+." As expected, the reactions were harsh. Said one Redditor: "This caused me to cancel my preorder. I'd still very much like the play the game but I'll rent or wait until it's $20."
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The creator said it was impossible to beat in 5 hours, not that it matters anyway.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The creator said it was impossible to beat in 5 hours, not that it matters anyway.
That's why he said. "It took me a little over 5 hours"
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

PS4 to outsell Xbox One by 40% through 2018 - Report

Strategy Analytics predicts Sony to move 80 million consoles compared to Microsoft's 57 million

Sony will be the unquestioned leader through the first five years of the current generation of console wars, according to a new report from Strategy Analytics. The research firm has released its Connected Home Devices Report, saying the PlayStation 4 "is on path to reproduce the success of the PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Wii."

Strategy Analytics predicts that by 2019, Sony will have a global installed base of 80 million PS4s. That would give the company a 40 percent edge on the firm's projected 57 million worldwide installed base for the Xbox One.
40%! Obviously consumers recognize the superior product.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:PS4's awesome exclusive of the year!

http://kotaku.com/youtube-leak-derails- ... 1686385042

5 hours of game time to finish. That's $12/hour for your fun!
Floating around the front of r/games yesterday, for example, was this thread about the playthrough, offering firsthand details that nobody else has to offer. "Took me a little over 5 hours on my first playthrough," wrote the person behind PlayMeThrough. "Not much replayability. You can't level up any skills or anything and there is no New Game+." As expected, the reactions were harsh. Said one Redditor: "This caused me to cancel my preorder. I'd still very much like the play the game but I'll rent or wait until it's $20."
The Order: 1886 is at the centre of multiple furores over game length, quick time events and cinematic narratives. Ready At Dawn calls this the “bandwagon of negativity”.
It's not a surprise that Winnow has jumped on that bandwagon! Yet I didn't see the same sort of bias being displayed against Ryse. Isn't that like a 7 hour game?
According to The Order: 1886 game director Dana Jan, the question of the PS4 exclusive third-person shooter’s length has been blown out of proportion by inaccurate or irresponsible reporting – such as the now infamous five hour play through not being labelled as a speed run, for example.

“We have this uncanny ‘haterade’ for our game no matter what,” Jan told Develop.

“People are looking for something to throw at our game, some reason to hate it. I’m excited to hear what people who have actually played the game think about it, how do they feel about the quality and the quantity? I think by and large that most people are going to be satisfied.”
Can't Far Cry 4 be beaten in like the first half hour or something? Oh no that's $120/hour for your fun!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Ryse is a joke. There are times that it doesn't matter if you hit the quick-time event or not, the same thing happens. It is a big "hey look how good this animation is while not having any gameplay" game.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Whether Ryse is a good game or not wasn't my point!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I just dropped some of my bacon :(
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Besides being very short, the reviews aren't looking great for Sonys BIG exclusive

Kotaku
The Order: 1886 doesn't feel like the product of someone's grand vision; it feels like the tatters of that vision have been gathered, taped together, and presented as complete. The best I can say of it is that its premise is just novel enough to feel wasted. As I played, I kept wishing for some hint of inspiration, a dash of spirit to warm me against the chilly downpour of mediocrity. I found none.
EGM
The issues, large and small, just pile up, and The Order ends up feeling like a game where plenty of manpower went into making sure it looked good—but no one bothered to check if it might actually be any fun. Outside of its admittedly superlative visuals, The Order doesn’t do a single thing well. Not one gameplay element stands out as superb—merely mediocre or substandard.
64 On Metacritic. Has Drive's free PN component been released yet? Ah Sony, the non fanbois know your MO well. Show us awesome CG movies at launch, deliver crap a year later (or still pending for Drive PN+ way past a year later)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

This is a stupid troll, even for you. The amount of quality-looking exclusives coming out this year for the PS4 is so far above that of the One that they're not even comparable. One of them being a flop doesn't change that a bit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:This is a stupid troll, even for you. The amount of quality-looking exclusives coming out this year for the PS4 is so far above that of the One that they're not even comparable. One of them being a flop doesn't change that a bit.
You'll understand my concern until we actually see another quality release considering what Sony shows in press conferences and what timeline/quality they've delivered.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:This is a stupid troll, even for you. The amount of quality-looking exclusives coming out this year for the PS4 is so far above that of the One that they're not even comparable. One of them being a flop doesn't change that a bit.
You'll understand my concern until we actually see another quality release considering what Sony shows in press conferences and what timeline/quality they've delivered.
Half of the exclusives they have set to come out this year could be delayed to next year, and another quarter of them could be duds, and there would still be more quality exclusives than the Xbox has coming, but tell yourself whatever you want/need to.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I found my piece of bacon. It had a dog hair on it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:I found my piece of bacon. It had a dog hair on it.
:lol:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Half of the exclusives they have set to come out this year could be delayed to next year, and another quarter of them could be duds, and there would still be more quality exclusives than the Xbox has coming, but tell yourself whatever you want/need to.

PS4 Exclusives:

Bloodborne
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture
Fat Princess Adventures
Gran Turismo 7
Hellblade
Let It Die
Omega Quintet
Primal Carnage: Extinction
Ratchet and Clank
The Order: 1886
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Until Dawn

Xbox One Exclusives:

Funk Of Titans
Crackdown
Fable Legends
Halo 5: Guardians
Inside
Quantum Break
Rise Of The Tomb Raider*

Looks to me that Xbox One wins with Crackdown, Fable Legends, Quantum Break and Tomb Raider.

We already know Order:1886 sucks. PS4 list has crap like "Fat Princess". Weeeee. Grand Delaysmo doesn't count because Xbox One has had a quality racing game since DAY ONE not two years later, and multiple good racers at that.

Quality not quantity, and also actually releasing on time is nice. Not sure what you're smoking when you think PS4 has better exclusives. Probably got sucked in by the fancy bullshit CG videos during Sony's brainwash campaigns.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not that I need to prove Sony's bullshit PS4 launch more but what the hell...

Deep Down, another f2p PN+ game announced at launch has been delayed even longer

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/19/ ... ntly?watch

keep playing Knack! At least that was released.

The Order: $18.86 am i rite?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You do know Capcom is the developer for that don't you? And they aren't owned by Sony or anything? Apparently not!

Also pretty sure that Deep Down was never considered a launch title much less a PS+ title. Free to play doesn't equate to a PS+ title you know.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

It's laughable that he even posted that shit. He's missing several notable PS exclusives (Persona 5 anyone?).

Even ignoring that though:
Bloodborne
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Those three games beat the entire Xbox lineup to shit. Crackdown? Are you fucking serious? The first game was fun in doses, but now that the market is saturated with open world games that are all pretty damn similar to Crackdown, it's yawn-worthy at best. Fable? AAAAHahahahahahahahahahaha. That's adorable. The first game was popular because it was different, Fable since then has been complete trash. And while I still have hopes for Halo, with the way things are STILL going with the Master Chief Collection six months or so after its release, I don't have much faith in 343 pulling it off.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony will begin a concentrated publicity campaign for its Morpheus VR headset with a "four-hour" showcase at the Game Developers Conference in March.

Weeks ahead of its E3 media conference, Sony will send representatives to the Games Developers Conference in San Francisco to brief attendees on the prospects and challenges of developing virtual reality content for PlayStation 4.

Confirmed already is a one-hour speaker session, hosted on Wednesday March 4, entitled Beyond Immersion - Project Morpheus and PlayStation. Then on Thursday, a PlayStation US representative will discuss various insights into rendering for virtual reality. Sony has also booked seats on two public developer roundtables which will discuss VR.

But beyond this, games site Polygon claims that Sony will also host a standalone "four-hour event focusing on Morpheus." The showcase, set to take place on March 3, will apparently provide hands-on demos of the system.
Should be interesting to see how far they've come along with Morpheus next week. They're going to need to increase the resolution and figure out a way to power their VR headset with a relatively weak PS4 compared to high end PCs. Some games in lower res could work but there's no chance in would be acceptable for watching movies yet. Watching movies in Oculus Rift is amazing...any kind, 2D, 3D, 360, sphere, etc. Resolution is what's lacking. I tried out a simple comic reader designed for Oculus Rift and it kicks ass. It works well for image viewing as well. Again, resolution is all that's needed to make it a success.

They could have a cinema app which would be the only thing that a PS4 could support in high res if they somehow managed to get a 2560 x1440 5" screen in morpheus before launch. I know Samsung is rumored to have one for their next Note but they are in bed with Oculus (Gear VR is powered by Oculus software) and wouldn't be giving that to Sony.

Oculus Rift (Facebook/Samsung) VR
Hololens (Microsoft) AR
Morpheus (Sony) VR
Magic Leap (Google) AR

Exciting times for VR/AR! You'd think Oculus with their partners would be the least likely to have an impact but they have a dream team of VR people working on their product so they are on equal footing with the larger companies. Apple hasn't entered the race yet and they have half a trillion dollars to throw at it. As market gaps go, Sony is the tiny one of the group.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Super Stardust was released on PS4 recently and is said to be "Morpheus ready".
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Digital console games made $263M in January — and most of that was from PlayStation

Digital console games generated $263 million in January, according to SuperData. That’s up 14 percent year over year. Grand Theft Auto and several Call of Duty games were the primary drivers in this growth, but SuperData chief executive and lead analyst Joost van Dreunen notes that horror games Resident Evil 4 HD Remaster and Dying Light were also big contributors. Sony’s PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 consoles also dominated by making up 63 percent of digital sales on console.
63%. PlayStation domination!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

March’s PlayStation Plus Preview

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee — New ‘n’ Tasty! (PS4)
It’s the return of a PlayStation classic! Join Abe in this rebooted platformer that has enhanced visuals, sound, and controls. Help him free his people from a dastardly meat processing facility, and see why gamers fell in love with good ol’ Abe in the first place!

Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PS4)
The story of intersecting lives that suffer under the impossible duress of the first World War. Inspired by actual WWI tokens from the friends and family of the development team, this game may be colorful, but tells a dark and devastating story. Bring a box of tissues!

Papo & Yo (PS3)
Papo & Yo is the story of a young boy, Quico, and his best friend, Monster. Monster is a huge beast with razor-sharp teeth, but that doesn’t scare Quico away from playing with him. Build your friendship with Monster by solving puzzles together and adventuring through a magical, surrealist world.

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (PS3)
You are the legendary detective. Use your powers of wit and deduction to piece together several grisly cases and pass judgement on the accused. Will you live up to the legacy embodied in the name “Holmes?”

OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood (PS Vita | PS4)
Grind, kick, jump, and trick your way to a high score in the “skate-em-up” sequel to OlliOlli. Players can push their skills to the limit with a refined combo system, new modes, and more. Don’t fall!

CounterSpy (PS Vita | PS4 | PS3)
Inspired by the Cold War, this stylish adventure tasks you with keeping the world’s superpowers in balance, all while blending covert operations and high-intensity gunplay into a colorful pastiche of gaming subterfuge.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

How's that compare to:

Rayman Legends
Tomb Raider (2013)
Bioshock: Infinite

...OlliOlli 2...weeeee!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The PS4's free offerings have been better than the xbox by a wide margin every month, this month is no different. The only free game I bothered to play from the One so far is the Max Beyond Brotherhood game or whatever, and even that was only for a couple nights. I've put countless hours into the free games from PSN.

You have to be even boring yourself at this point.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: You have to be even boring yourself at this point.
Maybe playing some OlliOlli2 will get me out of my funk.

Helldiver looks interesting.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Helldiver is better than Destiny. Seriously. One hour into the game and it has more lore, better story, better progression, and is just more entertaining. It can be pretty brutal, that's for sure.

It also works, unlike Halo MCC (which came out in 4 months ago).

I think MS is offering good games. They just happen to be games I beat years ago and therefore they are not nearly as interesting to me as Sony's offerings.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:How's that compare to:

Rayman Legends
Tomb Raider (2013)
Bioshock: Infinite

...OlliOlli 2...weeeee!
Well let's see...

Rayman Legends - Not bad. (Although I already picked it up for $10 on a recent PSN sale so is mine to keep forever)
Tomb Raider - Already been PS+ long ago
Bioshock:Infinite - Already been PS+ long ago.

So I'd say overall it compares better and I'm not quite sure the point you are trying to make. Except maybe that AAA games are better than "Indie"? Regardless, considering two of those three were already given away on PS+ over a year ago I'd say whatever point you are TRYING to make you failed miserably at.

Not to mention FOUR of these you can play on PS4. How many of those Xbox ones are XBO? One.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony has sold more than 20.2 million PlayStation 4 consoles, the company announced today during the 2015 Game Developers Conference.

The figure is true as of March 1, and applies to units sold through to consumers. The system "continues to demonstrate the fastest and strongest growth in PlayStation hardware history," said Sony in a press release today.

Sony's previous PS4 update came in January, when the company said global sales of the console had topped 18.5 million units by Jan. 4 — 4.1 million of which had been sold since Nov. 23, 2014.
Train keeps a rollin'... Over 20 million SOLD! Almost 2 million since Jan 4th. Not bad for post-holiday numbers.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

/cue the Winnow fake outrage regarding Uncharted 4 release date (even though it never had a specific release date assigned!)

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

That game will be better than any Xbox game that comes out for this entire cycle of consoles, so them taking their time on it is perfectly acceptable to me.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

but it isn't acceptable to WINNOW!!!!!11
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That's too funny. On queue, yet another "exclusive" delay. That game won't be better if it's delayed so much that the next gen of consoles has been released! Tomb Raider!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:but it isn't acceptable to WINNOW!!!!!11
!!

:lol:
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:That's too funny. On queue, yet another "exclusive" delay.
That doesn't even make sense. Queue is a line!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I think he had " OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS " of words to choose from
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita will launch in China March 20, following a two-month delay and the further loosening of restrictions on console sales in the country.

The console will cost roughly $463 in the country, and the Vita will run about $207. The two devices retail for $399 and $199 domestically.

In February, China moved to open up sales of consoles beyond just its Shanghai free trade zone, which still was a large enough market to bring Xbox One to the country in September.

The manufacture and (legitimate) sale of consoles had been banned entirely in China for 14 years, under a policy China instituted to shield children from any corrupting influence of games.

Sony originally planned to launch its PlayStation devices on Jan. 11 but put those plans on hold when the Chinese government asked for changes to the launch schedule.
Another country prepares for PlayStation domination!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's the line of delayed PS4 exclusives! Maybe to help with the delay they'll release some 10 minute DLCs for $18.86.

If Indies are all they're going to put out, they could have offered consumers a $99 box!

Looks like Steam VIVE may be the most interesting thing released in 2015 unless it's delayed as well. Morpheus and Oculus look like they'll be 2016 releases.