Support, Discussion, Reviews
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Re: Windows 8 Upgrade

Post by Animalor »

Windows Key: toggles between Metro and Desktop, or takes you back to Metro home page from any RT app.
Quick correction - This will either bring you back to the Start Screen or the last opened Windows Store app you had on screen. Not sure what hitting it after a fresh boot will do.

Windows + D will give you your desktop from any of the Windows Store apps. When already on the desktop, it will minimise your opened desktop apps. Hitting it again with your stuff minimised with bring it all back to where it was.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

When I hit Windows key it toggles between Metro (start) and my Desktop. When I hit Windows Key while in an RT (windows store) app, it takes me to metro start.

I see Windows+D toggles Desktop as well. I'll play around a little more.

edit:

Animalor is correct, if you have an RT app open, the windows key toggles between the last app and the main Metro Start Screen.

Windows+D will get you to the desktop at any time.

You really only need to know three keyboard commands to make things extremely easy in Windows 8.

Windows Key (Desktop/Metro or App toggle)
Windows+Q (searches)
Windows+D (Desktop/Metro toggle)
Windows+C (charms for control panel, search, devices, settings_

It would benefit you to learn a few more but it's pushing it to expect the whiners to even learn three key commands as they are too busy complaining about what really is a very slick version of Windows. Remember those and you'll spend more time enjoying the nice enhancements as opposed to complaining because you don't know the above commands.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I tested the Windows Key on a fresh boot of Win 8 and it does indeed open up the desktop directly.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:I tested the Windows Key on a fresh boot of Win 8 and it does indeed open up the desktop directly.
Also, for the super whiny, paranoid metro freaks, if you lock your PC in desktop, you go back to desktop....so now we're down to a few milliseconds that you need to see the metro start screen....but these people will still whine and say Windows 8 sucks. lol.

Windows 8 has been rock solid for me. Totally impressed with it since my flawless upgrade. There are some things about the Metro (RT) apps that I like and with the ability to completely ignore Metro, it lets me explore and learn about it when I feel like it. Even on a non touch PC, some of the windows Store apps are nice although not required. I really don't see any negatives. Microsoft did a great job with a lot of their hard work enhancing the back end ignored by fools that don't know how to hit the Windows Key one time per boot up.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

So the best feature about Windows 8 is that you can easily ignore it's flagship feature and make it look like Windows 7.

Got it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:So the best feature about Windows 8 is that you can easily ignore it's flagship feature and make it look like Windows 7.

Got it.

Yes, for people like you, that is it's best feature since you obviously haven't researched anything else about the product and probably just watched a youtube video of some idiots hacking around the OS before they took the time to learn about it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Hilarious they added a billion key commands to replace shit people have been doing easily with a mouse for years.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Actually I gave it a week of daily use for both work and home with an open mind. I started with the attitude of having an open mind and trying to see if I could 'get it' as to how it was 'better'.

In the end however I saw it for the dumb ass piece of shit it is.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Most of the keyboard shortcuts have probably been in Windows for years and would work as well on Windows 2000 or XP.

Fell free to ignore 8 if you want. Metro is still in it's infancy. I'm pretty sure that in a year from now, it will have evolved quite a bit and will be much more useful than it is now. (If Microsoft sticks with it).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Haven't seen any knowledgeable people on this site that have used Windows 8 speak negatively of it as a whole yet. Just a few whiny people bitching about Metro which shows they don't really know jack about the rest of it except to say "it sucks".
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Why the fuck do you care, did you design it? Fucking shut up about it already.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Why the fuck do you care, did you design it? Fucking shut up about it already.
It's a discussion forum idiot. Did you invent spitting?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:Why the fuck do you care, did you design it? Fucking shut up about it already.
It is his first legit OS purchase, give him a break :P
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Oh have you heard? Windows 8 sucks.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
It is his first legit OS purchase, give him a break :P

:lol:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not much substance coming from the suck crowd on this thread.

Based on projections for the next 200 posts in this thread, it's clear Windows 8 is a solid OS.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I'm not sure how much time I can devote to refuting foaming retards this week.

The idea that my problem with Chimes is that I don't know I can press windows+c to open that horrible mess was comedy gold though, thanks.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:I'm not sure how much time I can devote to refuting foaming retards this week.

The idea that my problem with Chimes is that I don't know I can press windows+c to open that horrible mess was comedy gold though, thanks.
So what's the problem?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

If you want people to believe that you're actually using Windows 8, you should probably stop calling Charms 'Chimes'

I'm running 8 on one of my PCs.
It's good, but I want to get more familiar with it before I upgrade the rest of my systems.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Yeah, cause they say what they are every time they pop out from the right-hand side.... not that I'm running it any more. Back in the drawer with my Vista DVDs.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Zaelath wrote:I'm not sure how much time I can devote to refuting foaming retards this week.

So what's the problem?
For a start? They're in an annoying place, they pop out when you're trying for the clock or the scroll bar on a full screen window, etc, etc.

They're mostly useless on a PC:

Search: replaces an existing search with a more annoying one that doesn't work as well.

Share: This is not such a prime function for those of us that aren't on FriendFace every 5 seconds that it needs to be in here.

Start: Excellent, it replaces the button that has been on my keyboard for the last 10 years with an on screen one that takes longer to get to.

Devices: Wow, handy on a phone/tablet, I guess, who knows. Worthless again.

Settings: Ooh, a button I might use. Except it's actually a more annoying implementation of Apple's menu bar that changes based on what application has focus idea. Something that I hated on my Macbook has finally been ported to Windows, EXCELLENT. Plus, power off is not a setting, it's a fucking action.

That's just off the top of my head, I think there was way more annoyances, stuff like the "new" settings windows are so limited in space and designed for phones that there just *has* to be less settings.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
For a start? They're in an annoying place, they pop out when you're trying for the clock or the scroll bar on a full screen window, etc, etc.

They're mostly useless on a PC:

Search: replaces an existing search with a more annoying one that doesn't work as well.
What? No idea what you're doing to pop out the charm bar. You're "trying for the clock"? wtf?

Search has always been in the corner of your screen. You can still go put your mouse in the corner of the screen if you want to or just hit Windows+C

Zero annoyance here. I've been using windows since 3.1 and have no issues switching to Windows 8.

Still seems like nitpicking whining to me. Enjoy whatever version of windows you have. Windows 8 doesn't suck though. It appears to be a lack of ability on your part to adapt to something new. Make a real stand and go use Linux. That will show them!

Just a sec, I'm trying for the clock...got it! First try!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Just a sec, I'm trying for the clock...got it! First try!
But I bet you had to bite your tongue with concentration while you did it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow your points would be a bit more more valid if you weren't running around like your hair was on fire and calling anyone who doesn't like Windows 8 to be lazy bumbling fucks who just don't want to bother learning something new. Why can't you just accept that not everyone likes the same things you do.

1) My Windows 7 installation is just fine.
2) I can't stand the Metro interface.
3) Yes I get you can go to 'desktop mode' and use it just like Windows 7. See point 1.
4) Therefore there is zero reason FOR ME to use Windows 8. It's not a product that fits my criteria for use. Not sure why that's difficult to comprehend. But unlike you I'm not telling the people that use it they suck. It looks like you've taken a page out of the Republican strategy book. Look how good that's done them the past two elections!

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote: What? No idea what you're doing to pop out the charm bar. You're "trying for the clock"? wtf?
Oh and yes, Search in Windows 7 is "windows key then type". There's no way you can spin that the same as "find a hot corner in your window, then mouse to the search icon, then click that, (then click in the search box?), then type"
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

No use for aesthetic changes that look cluttered and smart-phoney here. I don't need apps and more shit on my desktop. I've used every version of windows up til now, but I won't be updating to 8. 7 works great for me, and no aspect of it seems dated, inefficient, etc. I'm also not the type that needs to get every new iteration of everything, no matter how marginal an upgrade it is like some here...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Totally ignoring the "Metro" start screen and Windows Store Apps, Windows 8 is an improved version of Windows 7. I'm talking about day to day use. You people are so obsessed with "Metro" that you're missing out on an improved back end. It seems you can't see past the Metro start screen when thinking of Windows 8, which I never see anyway.

That said, stick with what you got and complain about "Metro" all you want. As someone who has used Windows at minimum, as much as anyone else over the past 15-20 years, I'm highly impressed with how smooth Windows 8 is and it's enhancements. I think you're missing out on a great, dirt cheap, upgrade to Windows Pro for $39 if you don't do it by Jan 13 but that's your call.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I find the search to be quite good and love how it compartmentalizes stuff.

Start a basic search and then click on any of the apps in the list and it'll show you the search result from that app. Aerosmith in the box and you select Google or Bing apps will show you web results. The search bar never goes away and if you select Music it shows you content from Xbox Music (either your collection or the service).

I like that MUCH better than a mish-mash of a result screen from different sources.

Put in a movie name and choose IMDB give you details, then choose either Netflix or Xbox Video and you get search results from those sources without having to retype your query.

*edit* IMDB isn't on the store apparently. I was positive I had seen it. Weird.

It's rather slick.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:Totally ignoring the "Metro" start screen and Windows Store Apps, Windows 8 is an improved version of Windows 7. I'm talking about day to day use. You people are so obsessed with "Metro" that you're missing out on an improved back end. It seems you can't see past the Metro start screen when thinking of Windows 8, which I never see anyway.

That said, stick with what you got and complain about "Metro" all you want. As someone who has used Windows at minimum, as much as anyone else over the past 15-20 years, I'm highly impressed with how smooth Windows 8 is and it's enhancements. I think you're missing out on a great, dirt cheap, upgrade to Windows Pro for $39 if you don't do it by Jan 13 but that's your call.
Metro is more than a start screen, and the "charms" are part of metro.

The underlying OS is slightly improved, but a lot of the work into Windows 8 has been for phone/tablet interfaces and to turn it into an ad platform.

it's like saying, "The underlying sundae has been improved, real ice cream, more chocolate chips, you just have to ignore the turd that's served on the top".
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote: it's like saying, "The underlying sundae has been improved, real ice cream, more chocolate chips, you just have to ignore the turd that's served on the top".
It's not like saying that at all. You don't have to ignore anything. I can serve you that turd in a separate dish and you can chow it down if you want or just go about your business enjoying the banana split with whipped cream.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

But again; why bother upgrading from 7?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That's like asking why go from a volume setting of 10 to 11. It's one louder, isn't it? In this case Windows 8 is clearly one better than Windows 7. Duh.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:That's like asking why go from a volume setting of 10 to 11. It's one louder, isn't it? In this case Windows 8 is clearly one better than Windows 7. Duh.
Be careful, if you make that face for too long, it'll get stuck that way.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Zaelath wrote: it's like saying, "The underlying sundae has been improved, real ice cream, more chocolate chips, you just have to ignore the turd that's served on the top".
It's not like saying that at all. You don't have to ignore anything. I can serve you that turd in a separate dish and you can chow it down if you want or just go about your business enjoying the banana split with whipped cream.
It really is, you keep pretending you never have to see/deal/interact with Metro at all, but that's bullshit. It's Romney levels of misinformation and you need to stop that shit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote: It really is, you keep pretending you never have to see/deal/interact with Metro at all, but that's bullshit. It's Romney levels of misinformation and you need to stop that shit.
I think it's you and the rest of the anti Metro nuts that are living in fantasyland.

Dude, I don't see Metro. I've been on my PC all day today and haven't seen that screen a single time. You really never need to use it. Ever. Unless you're using Windows Store Apps (which I can't even access while I'm logged into my administrator account). Unless you completely shut down your PC, you don't even see it when you log back in or switch users.

Might be because I have all the primary programs I use pinned to the task bar. I suppose if you don't utilize that then you'd have to have an icon on the desktop, or, gasp, hell, I don't know! I've got eight programs pinned to my task bar and most other programs I use launch when I need them to when I open a file from Directory Opus. (that's a file manager...pinned to my task bar!) Who the fuck launches most apps anyway besides a handful of primary ones? Typically you're opening them from files. Maybe become more familiar with a decent file manager. Hell, even the windows 8 file manager is decent although I prefer dual panes. You don't need to access the Metro Start screen to search for a program. That's what the search chime charm is for which works better than Window 7's search with more search options and better awareness of what you're doing when you open search.

Exactly what the fuck are you doing that you have to open the Metro start window for?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I see, you're just a fucking idiot. Metro is more than the start menu. Jesus. Fucking. Wept.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:I see, you're just a fucking idiot. Metro is more than the start menu. Jesus. Fucking. Wept.
If you're scared to open a search window then there's no hope for you. Carry on.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

So basically they created a Cadillac from a Chevy while taking the Chevy UI and turning it into a Peugeot?

Been running it a week or so, I'd rather have the old UI back in many respects. I had no performance issues with 7.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:So basically they created a Cadillac from a Chevy while taking the Chevy UI and turning it into a Peugeot?

Been running it a week or so, I'd rather have the old UI back in many respects. I had no performance issues with 7.
I guess that's a matter of opinion. I really don't get the issue people are having with the UI. Search seems perfectly fine, if not better. the task manager, etc are all improved IMO. I like the multi monitor support better in Windows 8.

I really can't think of anything I don't like better with Windows 8. I wasn't a big "START" button user to begin with so maybe the loss of that button doesn't impact me as much. Pin a couple programs to your taskbar and it cuts down the need to click "START" drastically.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I really can't think of anything I don't like better with Windows 8. I wasn't a big "START" button user to begin with so maybe the loss of that button doesn't impact me as much. Pin a couple programs to your taskbar and it cuts down the need to click "START" drastically.
I really can't think of anything I don't like better with Linux. I wasn't a big "START" button user to begin with so maybe the loss of that button doesn't impact me as much. Pin a couple programs to your taskbar and it cuts down the need to spend money on an OS every year.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:
I really can't think of anything I don't like better with Linux. I wasn't a big "START" button user to begin with so maybe the loss of that button doesn't impact me as much. Pin a couple programs to your taskbar and it cuts down the need to spend money on an OS every year.
Hey, more power to you if you like linux. Enjoy!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I really don't get the issue people are having with the UI.
The issue is we don't like it. It's pretty simple really. Personal preference and all that.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:I really don't get the issue people are having with the UI.
The issue is we don't like it. It's pretty simple really. Personal preference and all that.

This was a great thread (I was posting to myself) about upgrading to Windows 8 but then you escalated it by stating that Windows 8 was cheap because it sucked.

It turned into a window 8 sucks thread so I countered.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well it does suck and is a pointless upgrade for the majority (not all!) of people now running Windows 7. Sorry you don't agree!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Well it does suck and is a pointless upgrade for the majority (not all!) of people now running Windows 7. Sorry you don't agree!

Windows 8 doesn't suck but Windows 7 is a solid version. Windows 8 is better IMO if you take the time to learn it which doesn't take long.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The seeming center-piece, the UI is a step backwards for experienced users who aren't on a tablet/touchscreen based device. Yes you can work around it but why? Different for differents sake is dumb.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Windows 8 doesn't suck but Windows 7 is a solid version. Windows 8 is better IMO if you take the time to learn it which doesn't take long.
I can appreciate that viewpoint. The problem with that for me is there is no incentive to do so for the vast majority of desktop PC owners beyond "Oooo something new.. SHINY!" .

I get that MS needs to not ignore the smartphone and tablet market but I don't agree with neutering (or watering down) the desktop OS to do so. First and foremost Windows 8 was designed for that market and not the old boring keyboard/mouse people. Apple has IOS and OSX (at least for the moment) I don't see why MS felt the need to combine the two other than from a business standpoint.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I haven't even seen a reason to upgrade from Vista to 8!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Have you seen OSX lately? They have continuously modified that OS so that now it's completely geared toward touchpads and touch screens. That's the way things are going. Your only option is linux if you don't want that or stick with win 7.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I have not seen OSX ever! And yeah I planned on staying with Windows 7. I will see how the desktop operating system landscape looks whenever I decide to upgrade next but I doubt that will be anytime soon. I can't think of anything that would make me need to upgrade my OS though. I don't play games on my PC really so any DirectX things aren't a factor.

--