Windows 8 Upgrade

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Windows 8 Upgrade

Post by Winnow »

This should come as no surprise -- we reported the increase back in October -- but Windows 8 upgrades will become a bit more pricey come February 1st. That means you have the better part of two weeks to take advantage of introductory online upgrade pricing of $40 (for the Pro version), before the sticker jumps to 200 bucks. Fortunately, you'll be able to utilize current pricing for the rest of January, including a DVD Pro upgrade available at retailers for $70. After the switchover, you'll pay $200 for a Pro upgrade, a standard edition of Windows 8 will run you $120, the Pro Pack will be available for $100 (upgrading from standard to Pro) and a Media Center Pack will cost $10. You could, of course, stick it out with Windows 7 or Vista or even XP for the indefinite future, but if a fresh OS is in the cards, now'd be as good a time as any to make the jump.
Windows 8 is working great! 40.00 upgrade = 200.00 in a few weeks. Most kick ass inexpensive opportunity to switch to pro from standard windows ever. Even if not impressed with windows 8 (that you totally don't have to even use) Metro start screen, it's worth upgrading to pro over standard for 40.00.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Staying with Windows 7. Total cost: Zero dollars.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

So I'm on Win7 now. If I should choose to go to 8 do I need to buy the crap version first and then the upgrade or can I upgrade to pro right away and will it still be inexpensive?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I went from 7 Home Prem to 8 Pro at one step.

(Mainly as it was cheap and saves some frustration next time 'round.)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:So I'm on Win7 now. If I should choose to go to 8 do I need to buy the crap version first and then the upgrade or can I upgrade to pro right away and will it still be inexpensive?
You don't. This is an extremely cheap opportunity to upgrade to the pro version of windows, all done online (you can still burn a backup DVD though and are issued a product key)

Recap if new to Windows 8 to make things easier:

1. Windows key toggles the "metro" screen on or off.

2. Right click in bottom left corner of screen (exactly where start menu button was) to get all start button functions (and even more options than with windows 7 start menu)

3. To search for anything, hit the windows key and just start typing.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Menu shown above is only useful (IMO) if you're running with administrator rights, not generally the smartest option for day to day usage.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:Menu shown above is only useful (IMO) if you're running with administrator rights, not generally the smartest option for day to day usage.
I've never used anything other than Administrator since 1995. Windows 8 is the first version where I would need to switch to a non Admin account in order to use RT/win8 apps.

I'll switch over to the Live account and see why it's not useful later. What's the problem? Is there something different about the UAC that changed from Windows 7?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

You've also said you don't care about viruses as you just wipe your system and restore so...

UAC isn't 100% and never has been, it's only meant to be a layer complemented by other measures.

Trusting UAC to save you is much like buying expired value brand rubbers then going to Thailand and banging the hookers who've a 60% AIDs rate.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:You've also said you don't care about viruses as you just wipe your system and restore so...

UAC isn't 100% and never has been, it's only meant to be a layer complemented by other measures.
yeah, so I was fine before UAC and I'm fine not using it now.

What does that have to do with the menu I linked though and how would it be any different on Windows 7?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I bought and installed the upgrade last night. So far I have only found one potential problem. I leave my computer on most of the time. I have set to never sleep but this morning I found myself having to reboot the computer as it appears to have gone into hibernation and wouldn't come up. Now there were windows updates that had been run so that may have been the culprit so I'll see when I get home tonight if that was the case.

I needed to install this so I can learn it and prepare for the fact that our consultants will install it and expect support even though it is not sanctioned software. I know that we will have an image for it eventually that we will put on their machines and then we will have to support it. I just want the leg up. I have played GW2 without issue so far.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I bought and installed the upgrade last night. So far I have only found one potential problem. I leave my computer on most of the time. I have set to never sleep but this morning I found myself having to reboot the computer as it appears to have gone into hibernation and wouldn't come up. Now there were windows updates that had been run so that may have been the culprit so I'll see when I get home tonight if that was the case.

I needed to install this so I can learn it and prepare for the fact that our consultants will install it and expect support even though it is not sanctioned software. I know that we will have an image for it eventually that we will put on their machines and then we will have to support it. I just want the leg up. I have played GW2 without issue so far.

You do get some updates after installing it that don't happen immediately. I believe there are separate settings for hard drive spin downs, turning off monitor, etc that may be impacting you. I have my PC set to never hibernate. You might check your update settings as well. You could possible set them to download but not install without your permission.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

In Win7 there are several 'advanced' power settings, including HDD, video, NIC, etc. I imagine that in Win8 they put the same crappy defaults in. HDD hibernation is the most likely cause of your PC being unresponsive after a prolonged idle.
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
This should come as no surprise -- we reported the increase back in October -- but Windows 8 upgrades will become a bit more pricey come February 1st. That means you have the better part of two weeks to take advantage of introductory online upgrade pricing of $40 (for the Pro version), before the sticker jumps to 200 bucks. Fortunately, you'll be able to utilize current pricing for the rest of January, including a DVD Pro upgrade available at retailers for $70. After the switchover, you'll pay $200 for a Pro upgrade, a standard edition of Windows 8 will run you $120, the Pro Pack will be available for $100 (upgrading from standard to Pro) and a Media Center Pack will cost $10. You could, of course, stick it out with Windows 7 or Vista or even XP for the indefinite future, but if a fresh OS is in the cards, now'd be as good a time as any to make the jump.
Windows 8 is working great! 40.00 upgrade = 200.00 in a few weeks. Most kick ass inexpensive opportunity to switch to pro from standard windows ever. Even if not impressed with windows 8 (that you totally don't have to even use) Metro start screen, it's worth upgrading to pro over standard for 40.00.
Remember when I said Windows 8 was probably being bought a lot by people overseas getting unusually equal pricing:

May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Canelek wrote:PC being unresponsive after a prolonged idle.
Lot of components may or not wake up sane, have to doink with the OS & bios settings. My last PS didn't sleep properly for instance, which screwed the entire process up.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not really Windows 8 specific but now that my Cox Cable upstream has been increased from ~2.5Mbps to 25-30Mbs, my remote desktop is super fast and smooth. Huge difference in usability. I know some have had high u/l speeds for awhile but for Cable, it's always been an issue for me in the past.

I do have an issue with my remote desktop access. Whenever I log on remotely, my hidden taskbar (on the server) flickers and causes lag. I haven't been able to figure out what's causing the problem yet but I have a workaround which is going into tasks and restarting file explorer. Since I use a lot of programs which act as servers, etc, I can't tell what might be causing it but it affects windows file manager. Anyway, a quick restart of windows file manager fixes it and it's gone until the next day.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft is planning to change the way its Start Screen operates with the release of Windows 8.1. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed to The Verge that the company is currently testing builds of Windows 8.1, known as codename Windows Blue, that include an option to boot directly to the traditional desktop. We're told that the option is disabled by default, allowing users to simply turn on the functionality should they want to avoid the "Metro" Start Screen at initial boot or login.
For those that absolutely refuse to learn how to hit a single key to get to desktop!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-its-over-7000013964/

Can agree with a lot of what he says but also as he says the PC in some fashion will be with us for a while and there's no (current) realistic alternative to Windows.

On a practical basis all the possible contenders have major obstacles to adoption at a corporate level. Fighting against a long entrenched single vendor solution is a rough go.

I've gotten mostly used to Win8, seems they leaped over a bridge into Metro with no seeming benefit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't used "Metro" unless I'm searching for a program. Windows 8 continues to be the best version of Windows I've ever used for stability.

Traditional desktop PC is dying. Microsoft is dying along with them if they don't plan for the future. It was absolutely the right move to integrate a dumbed down interface into Windows 8 for future users.

If I was a PC gamer, I'd be the most concerned. As the platform becomes less common, so will high end PC games. PS4 and 720 will take care of that.

People that aren't supporting Windows 8 are accelerating the decline of the platform. As it become more of a niche (high end gaming), people will move to something like a "Steam Box" for PC gaming, if it survives at all. Businesses can use PCs that are several years old with no pressing need to upgrade. As the market becomes less attractive, Microsoft will focus more and more on its console as the centerpoint.

Microsoft is doing you a favor by integrating both touch and traditional desktop environments into one OS so desktop users don't get left behind altogether.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I realize your post is a total troll post but that's fine!
Winnow wrote:It was absolutely the right move to integrate a dumbed down interface into Windows 8 for future users.
It absolutely wasn't.
If I was a PC gamer, I'd be the most concerned. As the platform becomes less common, so will high end PC games. PS4 and 720 will take care of that.
Uhh.. I think you're totally off base on this one. Besides the 720 will go the way of the Wii U if they continue down the Always On path. But hey it's Microsoft. They've had a huge case of stupid ever since implementing the Ribbon bar.
People that aren't supporting Windows 8 are accelerating the decline of the platform. As it become more of a niche (high end gaming), people will move to something like a "Steam Box" for PC gaming, if it survives at all. Businesses can use PCs that are several years old with no pressing need to upgrade. As the market becomes less attractive, Microsoft will focus more and more on its console as the centerpoint.
lol. Yeah blame the consumer for not wanting to touch the shitty POS that is Windows 8. Why not blame Microsoft for alienating a large portion of the Windows user base.
Microsoft is doing you a favor by integrating both touch and traditional desktop environments into one OS so desktop users don't get left behind altogether.
I think you might legitimately be on crack! Do people still do crack these days? I don't even know.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It's referred to as 8 on the streets now
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:Microsoft is doing you a favor by integrating both touch and traditional desktop environments into one OS so desktop users don't get left behind altogether.
For office/desktop use "touch" is quite nearly worthless unless you're trying to sell someone a tablet-like device.

In business for coding and word processing/office type stuff, I don't expect the traditional keyboard/monitor type setup to go away any time soon; it works far too well. Regardless of the device that's being used.
Boogahz wrote:It's referred to as 8 on the streets now
Not on my street!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Don't be h8ers!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:Microsoft is doing you a favor by integrating both touch and traditional desktop environments into one OS so desktop users don't get left behind altogether.
Microsoft is doing what Apple already did more than a year earlier with its Lion operating system.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft may bring back start button and boot to desktop for Windows 8.1
You h8ers might get your start button back.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/16/micr ... d-desktop/

The difference? You can left click instead of right click in the corner of the screen to get to the start menu. WOW!