Songs that you had to dance to

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Songs that you had to dance to

Post by Winnow »

This may be for the older folks here, but back in the 80's and 90's when going out to the dance clubs was popular, what songs did you absolutely have to dance to when they started to play?

A couple off the top of my head, and I realize these songs should vary wildly depending on the person, time period, etc. These may not be the greatest songs ever, but for whatever reason, pick a few songs that were must dances!

New Order: Bizarre Love Triangle

Even though it came out in 1986, this was more from clubbing in the early '90s hitting the alternative bars. When this song came on, it didn't matter what girl I grabbed, I had to get out and dance to this song! Just a fucking great song to dance to with excellent lyrics to boot. The great bass doesn't come through too well in this low quality version.

Prince and the Revolution: Erotic City

(couldn't find normal version so timestamped the extended version to cut out long intro)

Clubbing ~1986-1988. Usually really really drunk by the time this song came on. Just straight dirty song. Loved to dance to this. Another song I just had to get out on the dance floor for. Listen while you can, Prince song get taken down off you tube pretty quick.

Ready for the World: Oh Sheila

~1986-88. Jheri Curl and everything! Just happened to be popular and great dance song at the right time in college!

Depeche Mode: Personal Jesus

Early to mid '90s. Again, usually pretty fucking wasted by the time this song played. Actually, I don't think I ran out to dance to this one as much as it was just a really great song with the bass blasting out of the speakers while fucked up at a club. Probably more head bobbing while looking at the pretty lights!

BTW, I wasn't a good dancer and don't care to ever see any video of me dancing if any exists! The dance was a success if I managed to not spill my beer.