WoW Discussion
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

What Does Mists of Pandaria offer?

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOeUvGru ... e=youtu.be

Here is a nice little video outlining some of the new things that Pandaria is bringing to WoW. It's only a 6-7 minute video so doesn't cover everything, but it is still a nice little overview. It shows a little of all the major additions.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: What Does Mists of Pandaria offer?

Post by Funkmasterr »

Does the video mention the ability for players to feel directly insulted? Maybe a little dialogue that occurred at Blizzard "hey, you know that really stupid April fools joke about pandas? I bet if we make a whole expansion about them these morons will buy it"

I just ask because my pride and self respect prevent me from watching it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm a big fan of pandas! And even I thought it was pretty lame. WoW jumped the shark.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

So that's the best they can come up with in 2 years?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

"Wow", it looks like Blizzard is just sitting back and cashing their paychecks these days. That video looked like something you should be playing for free on a cell phone. I was kind of interested in what TITAN would be like but if the quality of recent WoW releases is any indication, it will look like something you can autogenerate from an Adventure Construction Set app.

Options:
-low res graphics (check)
-ridiculous expansion theme (check)
-same monthly fee (check)

[GENERATE BUTTON]
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I think Gameloft could have done a better job on this WOW expansion.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I really can't see how anyone would be playing this over guild wars 2. /shrug
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You are all missing out! I've wanted pandas since Burning Crusade was announced! I really look forward to all the stuff Blizzard has planned. Based strictly on the amount of contet, this looks to be the most feature rich expansion to date. Cataclysm was a lot of work, but a good chunk of resources went into revamping the old world. If you never played a lower lvl charcter/alt this would barely even be noticable. For leveling 80-85 you just had the five new zones, instances, raids, ect. Pandaria will be almost exclusively lvl 85-90 content so it should be pretty great! The Pokemon is an entire game within a game! I don't know though. I haven't played it yet so I can only hope it turns out as well as I'm expecting. I only play 15-20hrs a week so this expansion should last me a pretty long time. WotLK is going to be a pretty tough expansion to beat though. That was pretty awesome. The asian theme/music in Pandaria is a huge bonus for me though. I'll have to wait and see if they put the War back into WarCraft, as promised. There was some nice world PvP happening last night on my server, that's for sure!

I'm having as much fun playing the game now as many of you did at the peak of your enjoyment with the game. I still look forward to logging on and getting lost in Azeroth for hours at a time! This expansion could very well be the best one yet. I wonder what type of numbers they'll have for this game and how soon/drastic the drop off will be?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

You've turned into the Winnow of WoW :D

Looks kind of neat, not enough to invest the time required to come back, gear up and level up tho.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Fair wrote:I only play 15-20hrs a week
:-k
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:You are all missing out! I've wanted pandas since Burning Crusade was announced! I really look forward to all the stuff Blizzard has planned. Based strictly on the amount of contet, this looks to be the most feature rich expansion to date. Cataclysm was a lot of work, but a good chunk of resources went into revamping the old world. If you never played a lower lvl charcter/alt this would barely even be noticable. For leveling 80-85 you just had the five new zones, instances, raids, ect. Pandaria will be almost exclusively lvl 85-90 content so it should be pretty great! The Pokemon is an entire game within a game! I don't know though. I haven't played it yet so I can only hope it turns out as well as I'm expecting. I only play 15-20hrs a week so this expansion should last me a pretty long time. WotLK is going to be a pretty tough expansion to beat though. That was pretty awesome. The asian theme/music in Pandaria is a huge bonus for me though. I'll have to wait and see if they put the War back into WarCraft, as promised. There was some nice world PvP happening last night on my server, that's for sure!

I'm having as much fun playing the game now as many of you did at the peak of your enjoyment with the game. I still look forward to logging on and getting lost in Azeroth for hours at a time! This expansion could very well be the best one yet. I wonder what type of numbers they'll have for this game and how soon/drastic the drop off will be?
Their subscription numbers have been plummeting. I'm sure it will pick up for this expansion but I'll also guess it will drop even more drastically when most people that aren't hardcore raiders leave in a month.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Does the new expansion come with a free pair of rubber pants for those gaming "accidents"? :)
en kærlighed småkager
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Leonaerd wrote:
That's what I was thinking.. that was my committment when I was endgame raiding.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Zaelath wrote:
Leonaerd wrote:
That's what I was thinking.. that was my committment when I was endgame raiding.
Heh, 2-3 hours a day is not exactly 'casual'.
My MMO commitment is barely 10 hours a week these days.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looks pretty cool compared to some of the newer MMOs. Not sure why anyone would want to switch.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Not sure I've ever heard anyone say the graphics of WoW are a selling point of any kind.

Can't speak to how it's been through the years, but coming into the game today there's a mind numbing amount of content and things to do to entertain yourself and it's designed in such a way that I can log on for 15 minutes, do some stuff and log off whenever I need to. As much as I still like EverQuest, it was never (and still is not) like that. Even Runes of Magic isn't like that (but is closer than EQ is). I'm not very interested in PVP, so GuildWars2 means nothing to me. Nor do any obscure asian MMOs.

I wish them all the best of luck though. It's always good to have success in this industry since it inspires other games to be made which might end up being great.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I've never been much for pvp, but rest assured if you think there isn't a shit ton of content in guild wars 2 for pve, you're dead wrong. The dungeons alone are leagues beyond any other mmo I can think of due to challenge and replay value with the various modes you can play them in.

I like experiencing end game content, but I don't want to have to have a ton of playtime to do so, and not have to deal with obnoxious and incompetent people. You can do that in guild wars, and absolutely cannot in wow. Not even when doing raid content from past expansions. Just sayin.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Spent an hour or so before work just doing pet battles. Kind of funny to see some of the less common pet abilities.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I just read up on how the new talent system works in this game. lol.

The next expansion Blizzard is just going to tell you what class you are going to play and there is just going to be one button to press. A special WOW keyboard will come out with just a big red button on it.

This game is so fucking lowest common denominator and generic now it offends me that it is still around.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The talent "revamps" have been a fucking joke that only someone like Fairweather could possibly think was a positive move. The shouts of "they finally got it right!" shockingly came as soon as Blizzard announced "we got it right!" Tools.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Some people just seem to like simple games.
Giving players 6 talent choices over 90 levels seems a bit overly simplistic... even for WOW
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

miir wrote:My MMO commitment is barely 10 hours a week these days.
But you soak your teeth in a jar at night, so....
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Haha! We have some salty motherfuckers up in here!

I haven't had time to play yet. I may not even be able to log on until the weekend :(. I really miss the first rush to and through content. In the past I would simply chain run instances with guildmates when an expansion is released but being 4 days or more behind is gonna sting this time.

I'm looking forward to symbiosis on my feral. It looks like a really interesting skill. Other than the usual overcrowding in starting quest zones, I haven't heard about any terrible first day issues. There was a lvl 90 within hours of the expansion going live, which I can never wrap my head around.

I have a friend that resubbed and he wants to play his lvl 80 character, so I may be playing my 83 SP with him instead of my druid. Good times ahead. I hope I get some free time this weekend, but I'm packing and looking for a house to move into which is pretty time consuming!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

miir wrote:Some people just seem to like simple games.
Giving players 6 talent choices over 90 levels seems a bit overly simplistic... even for WOW
Yeah, it's kinda wierd. I thought they had it "right" back when I stopped, given that in WotLK I had to respec my huntard at least 3 times based on the armor/weapon sets I had making different builds more efficient. There will always be min/max builds, but I thought it was pretty cool that the gear you're wearing had entered into the algorithm.

One less thing to worry about I guess, soon people will be able to get max DPS by turning on auto-attack and going AFK (Hi, EQ Rogues! I didn't really mean to spin the boss during enrage /cough)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The latest talent system really is the best one yet. I was pretty skeptical at first and it took me a few hours and some digging into the wording on skills/abilities before I was satisfied that things really haven't changed from the talent point system at all. I retained all the abilities I had before that were previously in my cookie cutter build (as well as gaining a few new ones). The actual talents come across as the primary way to accentuate your chosen spec/role. There is a lot more wiggle room with this approach but there are still "must haves" for your given role. I also like the changes and expansion of the glyph system. There is a lot more synergy between spec, talents, glyphs, and gear than there were in any of the previous talent rennovations. Blizzard will likely change it up again in another 2yrs and I'm fine with that. I actually prefer it that way!

I wish I could get one more spec though. I want one just for PvP.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on September 25, 2012, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Role, not roll... I wouldn't bother but when you start talking about "Character Sheets", roll v's role messes with my head.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Zaelath wrote:Role, not roll... I wouldn't bother but when you start talking about "Character Sheets", roll v's role messes with my head.
I'm tired. Like, really tired :(. I think I've had 10hrs of sleep in the past 3 days. I'm going to crash hard soon. But first up: more packing.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

It's definitely a very simplistic game. There's very little in the way of tweaking or thinking about what needs done. Personally I preferred the previous talent system where you could customize a bit, but even with that I suspect most people had pretty much the same setup anyway. So what's the difference between having the ability to tweak which you use to be like everyone else anyway, and not having the ability to tweak? There isn't much really.

I don't see the player mechanics of WoW as being very different than EQ. Hit attack and wait. Sure EQ has a bazillion AA's now, but there's not many different ways to use them for the best benefit.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Taking my first break since 9 am. This is a fun expansion.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:Taking my first break since 9 am. This is a fun expansion.
How far did you get in 12ush hours?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I'm 87.

I don't know how these kids got 90 in as much time or less.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Here's a nice little bit of info I found about pet battles. I didn't even know about passive abilities.

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Which panda are you?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:I'm 87.

You only have 9 pets and 12 mounts? You need to up your meta game, bro!

Here is Fairweather:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... her/simple
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I didn't play the game for 4 years. I've only been back for less than a month.

Besides, I don't even really like them, other than to get me to where I need to go. I think many mounts are obnoxiously-large and people shouldn't be allowed to go AFK while on them.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Moonkin on a Goblin Trike is awesome
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Spang wrote:I'm 87.

Honestly doesn't seem it would be that hard. I have a ton of quests I haven't done yet in the 80's. Go do them all, wait for expansion to release, poof. There's a level or two right there. Two or three more levels isn't that hard. Especially if using the Zygor guide addon.
Spang wrote:Besides, I don't even really like them, other than to get me to where I need to go. I think many mounts are obnoxiously-large and people shouldn't be allowed to go AFK while on them.
My thoughts exactly.

Though I did get the chopper.. just because.. it's a fucking chopper.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I found a quick and dirty breakdown on gear.

Where Gear Comes From

Scenarios - 463 (random chance in reward cache at end)
Heroic Dungeons - 463, rare chance of 476 from final boss.
Crafted Epics - 476 to 496
LFR - 476 to 483
Reputation Vendors - 489
Normal Raid - 489 to 496
Normal Elite - 503
Heroic Raid - 502 to 509
Heroic Elite - 516
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I found a similar summary on Valor.

Where Valor Points Come From

Daily Quest - 5
Heroic Dungeons - 60
Scenarios - 30, 8 times per week. 10 each additional.
LFR Clear - 90
Daily Challenge Mode - 40
Raid Boss - 100
Challenge Mode Gold - 60, 1 time per week. 10 each additional.
Challenge Mode Silver - 50, 1 time per week. 10 each additional.
Challenge Mode Bronze - 40, 1 time per week. 10 each additional.

Also, once you reach VP cap of 3000, all your other characters on the same realm get a buff - Valor of the Ancients. "When one of your characters reaches maximum Valor Points for the week, all of your characters on the same realm earn 50% additional Valor Points."
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Windsong stopped proc'ing. It went from often to never.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

There are 4 EBGames a short walk from my work and they have a shitton of copies of MOP sitting on the shelves... but I still can't find another copy of GW2.

Asked the guy at the shop downstairs how well it's been selling.
He said about 10 copies since tuesday. A huge drop from previous WOW expansions which usually move 50+ copies on the first day.
By comparison, they sold 120+ copies of Guild Wars 2 in the first week.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I'm pretty sure most people purchased their copy of MoP via digital download.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Spang wrote:I'm pretty sure most people purchased their copy of MoP via digital download.

Either be sure or throw out something a little more convincing than "pretty sure". At least miir backed up his comments with some numbers.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Rather than this being seen as the downfall of WoW (lol) it should be seen as a triumph for digital downloads. Those numbers are going to be a record high. Hell, they sild the CE as a digital download and people have been able to purchase the expansion through the client for over a month. Furthermore, the expansion went live, well, live. There was no need to log out at all. At midnight you were able to immediately access the new content.

MoP will be one of the best selling PC games of the year no matter how much you try to down play it. You haters need to wait for the digital numbers before declaring your victory because you're going to end up looking like reactionary idiots. Wait, nevermind. Carry on!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:
Spang wrote:I'm pretty sure most people purchased their copy of MoP via digital download.

Either be sure or throw out something a little more convincing than "pretty sure". At least miir backed up his comments with some numbers.
12, 32, 81, 67, 8, 17.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Also, 90.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Rather than this being seen as the downfall of WoW (lol) it should be seen as a triumph for digital downloads. Those numbers are going to be a record high. Hell, they sild the CE as a digital download and people have been able to purchase the expansion through the client for over a month. Furthermore, the expansion went live, well, live. There was no need to log out at all. At midnight you were able to immediately access the new content.

MoP will be one of the best selling PC games of the year no matter how much you try to down play it. You haters need to wait for the digital numbers before declaring your victory because you're going to end up looking like reactionary idiots. Wait, nevermind. Carry on!
I think you're deepthroating blizzards cock with such ferocity that the tears of pain and joy streaming down your face are blurring your vision.

Look at their drop in subscriptions the past few years. The game might still ve at the top, but the ground under its feet is crumbling.

Anyhow, by my calculations, most of the people that came back for the expansion should be leaving again in about 2 or 3 weeks.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

For expansions with no benefit to buying a hard copy, I see no reason to do so (got mine digitally). If there was some useful trinket or pre-order bonus from a store worth the hassle I may have considered it. With this expansion, all bonuses were included with the digital download. Why get a hard copy? A stack of expansion boxes or disks isn't something I care about having anymore.

On the flip side, for initial game release I'll always want a hard copy. That way if the game or company goes south, I've still got a copy of the game. (Granted not as useful for MMO's) This includes the apparent intent of moving future console game purchases to digital only. I will never buy a system with this design. If I'm paying upwards of $60 to buy something, I expect to have it available to me from now until the end of time. I don't accept that my purchase of a (non-MMO) video game is really only leasing time with said video game.

I too think MoP is going to be a large success. For what it is, it's entertaining and so far I haven't found anything annoying yet. Seems very smooth and polished and I'm enjoying it. I wouldn't have 13 years ago when I preferred EQ, but with my life as it is now it's very enjoyable.

Funk - people have been saying EQ was dead for a decade now. There may be WoW server consolidation at some point, but I highly doubt they're worried about their profit margins. But then again, I wasn't around in WoW's surge so perhaps it's n00b ignorance. Everything seems quite fine to me. I'm actually more annoyed at the surge of people than anything. But I do play as a mostly solo game, so that's just me.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm not saying its dead, but its moving out of its prime, and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see the subscription base cut in half over the next 1-2 years. Of course I'm sure even then at $15/month their profit margin will still be fine.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

They basically did server merges already, just without actually merging servers. The "shared" zones are a pain in the ass when you hit the zone lines at times. The lag sucks.

Also, everyone I knew that bought the expansion bought the digital versions. Who the hell would ever go to an EBGames anymore?! That sounds like some kind of Canadian Socialistic Kenyan Wallet Sucking place.