Upvotes / Downvotes (like Reddit)

Post your ideas and problems with the site/board here

Moderator: TheMachine

Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Upvotes / Downvotes (like Reddit)

Post by Leonaerd »

It would be cool to have a voting system in place for each thread and reply. We could see who has more support in arguments, verify that a funny link is indeed funny, and maybe inflict some self-reflection on someone who makes an idiotic post.

Is it feasible?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Upvotes / Downvotes (like Reddit)

Post by Boogahz »

That's some stupid shit right there. If there were hundreds of users, it might almost make sense.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

There's like what.. ~10 active posters still around? Someone needs to recruit some more!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Oh old man Boog. Try to imagine with your tepid mind a Kilmoll / Kyoukan debate that includes everybody else's implicit opinion beyond the usual two-way tug of war. Seeing +3 votes on the side of the argument you agree with would be nice validation, no?

Funny - you think that importance of a vote doesn't scale relative to the size of the user group.
"There must be hundreds of users! No, wait.... It has to be at least.. one.... million users!!"
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

how the hell would you know who voted for what? How would you know it wasn't Winnow voting 12x for Apple's appstore in a thread about the rioting in the Bangkok red light districts?

If you want reddit, go to reddit! The voting method does nothing but hide potentially good threads
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Aslanna wrote:There's like what.. ~10 active posters still around? Someone needs to recruit some more!
Beyond the 10 active posters, there are lurkers who would vote. The 90% rule of the internet applies to VV, too, I suspect. Anyway, I sure would like to see implicit validation on VV arguments, where one vote could go a long way!

But yes, how does one recruit more brains to VV? :(
how the hell would you know who voted for what?
Doesn't matter. And if you want to know who downvoted you, speak up and maybe it will spark some more discussion. Do you really not see how this can be a good thing?
How would you know it wasn't Winnow voting 12x for Apple's appstore in a thread about the rioting in the Bangkok red light districts?
Voting could be limited to a per-account basis, I assume. Recall I did initially ask how feasible a system like this is - I have concerns too. We could maybe limit voting to accounts with 100+ posts, and add exceptions where necessary. Sure it would take real effort to implement, but it could make VV better!

And sure, there is potential for abuse. You would probably downvote all of my posts. I don't mind. You'd get bored of it anyway and feel bad once you realize how nice that +2 upvote post felt on that football thread you participated in.

Edit: Thought about it some more and there should definitely not be upvotes / downvotes on the thread itself; just the comments in the thread. Seems pretty obvious in hindsight. :)
If you want reddit, go to reddit! The voting method does nothing but hide potentially good threads
If you young whippersnappers want your rap music get off my lawn and go get a job!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I would say Boog gave you a - vote.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

As long as it's a weighted system that factors in total posts!

VV used to have cool stuff like VVs but we lost that during the dark years (data loss).

Enabling flash so we can integrate you tube videos would be cool!

We could replace the marquee which no one uses with /flash!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:Enabling flash so we can integrate you tube videos would be cool!
We can't, because then Boogahz wouldn't be able to not work while frequenting a message board at work that doesn't have enough people to make a voting system "make sense". But if the voting system was implemented with our current crop of active posters, it would absolutely, without question, "hide potentially good threads" with all 10-ish of us incessantly upvoting and downvoting.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

current permissions "might" keep VV from getting blocked, but it is hard to tell. Facebook is actually available (wish it wasn't). I can't even get to bundesliga.com for some reason. Sites tend to be blocked for what seems like random crap now.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I would downvote the shit out of this topic if I could...
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

=D>